Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2000, 2003, and even 2001 were good seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
2003 was good at the time because at the beginning of the season their was real hope, then Ferrari decided to stop taking the piss and went "lol jk that was last year's car, this is our new one u noobs" and and it all went to poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
No, it was good. USGP and Japan were excellent races in particular. Not to mention Britain, which was race 11 of 16. What are you talking about.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh the racing was good no doubt, (Australia was the race of the season for me) and it was pre-cost cutting so the spending and drama was insane, which is why I'm watching 2004 now, but Brundle's frustration at Schumacher saying in Australia 04 that he wasn't interested in the WDC and was only interested in having fun at this point hit a still raw nerve. I started watching from that point so that miserable 2005 Schumacher will be so much sweeter.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

santander appears to have leaked mclaren's new kit for next season https://twitter.com/thebuxtonblog/status/685786703441858560

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like the way it draws your eye to Jenson's nipples.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

learnincurve posted:

others have started comparing drivers to cars made in the black country,

Kubica would be an Austin Metro. A good all-rounder, lethal off-road and ugly as sin.

I had a Metro once. It was great fun.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

2000, 2003, and even 2001 were good seasons.

Yeah. I'm especially fond of 2000.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 9, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
loving Schumacher :(

grumpy old man Schumacher who seemed perfectly content bimbling about in the mid field or sitting on a wall after his engine exploded was alright though.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

dreesemonkey posted:

Effortpost why you might want to watch some offroad motorcycle racing
If any of you are looking for a race series to follow until F1 starts back up, Supercross is starting up tomorrow night and is all kinds of my jam. It is easily found in :filez: and people even upload to dailymotion and supercross doesn't really care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7M9hIdxSIc

Some reason why it is cool and good:
  • All the bikes are pretty much on equal footing, so it's all up to the rider / their start and not loving up.
  • 17 races over 18 weeks. Every Saturday except Easter weekend.
  • Lot's of racing crammed into ~3 hours. 250 class (2 qualifying races, 1 last chance qualifier, 1 main event) and 450 class (2 heat races, 2 semi races, 1 LCQ, 1 Main event).
  • Stacked field, especially in the 450 class. Last year there were probably 7 different winners, though 1 guy was dominantly consistent to win his 2nd title.
  • Lot's of wrecks / carnage, even from the top guys.
  • Even if you're #1 qualifier, everyone lines up at the same gate. The start is incredibly important

Tomorrow's race has the chance to be extra interesting, it's in Anaheim (CA) and they have been getting rained on all week. Could make it a muddy mess, which can create some whacky results.

Let's play a game with some of the front runners. It's called "Who is their F1 equivalent".

Ryan Dungey

Reigning 2x supercross champ. Won in 09(?) in his rookie season and 2015. His trademark is consistency, his nickname is "The Diesel", which he hates. He's definitely fast but his consistency overshadows his pace. Last year he podium'd 16/17 of the rounds. Rides KTM which was a great bike last year. He also won the nationals (outdoor motocross) championship last year. Has been accused of being a pushover and not at all aggressive, he did better for sure though last year.

Ken Roczen

Young German rider, 3rd year in the 450 class. Very fast, but not consistent yet. Tends to start really hot, but as the season drudges on he has lost something. Injured himself early last year and messed up his back. Used to be teammates with Ryan Dungey on KTM, but moved to a non-factory Suzuki team (think maybe Sauber or Force India) last year. Won the outdoor title in '14 over Dungey.

Eli Tomac

Finished 2nd in points last year to Dungey with some injuries. Very fast, needs to get better starts. Tomac was absolutely loving dominating everyone this year at outdoor nationals (winning races by 30+ seconds) in the first 5 rounds and then had a massive crash and needed dual shoulder surgery. He moved from Honda to Kawasaki this year, hopefully he's healthy as he hasn't had a lot of time on the bike.

Trey Canard

Bad luck Mark Weber, expect with skill. Trey is probably the nicest guy out there, but has had many season-ending injuries. Last year he was 2nd in points and making a good run, winning 2/3 races but ultimately had a motorcycle jump onto him and break his arm. This is his last year in his contract, he's been on a honda his whole career (this kind of loyalty is pretty rare) so it'll be interesting to see if he can stay healthy and where he can finish at the end of the year. I like this guy a whole lot, but his luck is just plain poo poo. Would love to see him win a title.

James Stewart

Bubba is probably the fastest guy ever to ride a dirtbike, at least in supercross. He invented "scrubbing", which everyone now has to do. Scrubbing is turning the bike down off the face of the jump to let the suspension rebound laterally, keeping you lower. Lower = less time in the air = faster. He's either finishing on the podium or he's wrecking and finishing 15th. If he gets a good start and doesn't wreck, watch out. He was suspended from the sport all of last year because of a positive drug test (Adderal, which he had a prescription for). The FIM slammed him that his prescription was not registered with them, or something. RACISM, more like it. Most people don't really think he's a contender anymore just because he's so inconsistent, but man is he loving fast. He's won 2 titles and if he had half the consistency of Dungey he'd have 10. RIdes for factory Suzuki.

Justin Barcia

The only reason I'm including this guy is because he's the Pastor Maldonado of SX. A lot of people consider him a dirty rider. He won some races last year, so he definitely has the pace. Consistency has not been there, but it's probably mostly the depth of the field.

There are at least 5 other riders that have a real chance of winning a race this year, but eh :effort:

Are any of these British?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

everyone in that post looks like a complete piece of poo poo

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
All MX riders are total d-bags it's a rule.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

funeral fag posted:

everyone in that post looks like a complete piece of poo poo

Probably all Americans. So yes.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

are we going to ban blackberry?

I'm wondering how they can still sponsor in F1, guess they are under contract

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Probably all Americans. So yes.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

learnincurve posted:

loving Schumacher :(

grumpy old man Schumacher who seemed perfectly content bimbling about in the mid field or sitting on a wall after his engine exploded was alright though.
He was still a cheating dong who would park his car on the track before the end of qualifying to defend his precious 11th spot on the grid right up till the end.

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 10, 2016

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I take it back supercross is pretty cool

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

I'm Crap posted:

He was still a cheating dong who would park his car on the track before the end of qualifying to defend his precious 11th spot on the grid right up till the end.

Cheating owns, though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Depends on who the cheating effects and if I like them, also how much drama is caused by it.

Rosberg parking it at Monaco to deny Lewis Pole for example is cheatin' done right. Tyre suppliers being allowed to give customer teams different quality tyres that could last longer or shorter distances depending on if you were ferrari or not was cheatin' gone bad.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Schumacher ramming Hill to win = Cheating done well
Schumacher ramming Jack Newtown and failing to win = Cheating done bad

Flavio tricking a mentally ill man into crashing so Our Nando could prosper = Cheating done well
Getting your wife to take stolen documents to a local copy-shop = Cheating done bad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brainwrong posted:

Schumacher ramming Hill to win = Cheating done well
Schumacher ramming Jack Newtown and failing to win = Cheating done bad

Flavio tricking a mentally ill man into crashing so Our Nando could prosper = Cheating done well
Getting your wife to take stolen documents to a local copy-shop = Cheating done bad.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

santander appears to have leaked mclaren's new kit for next season https://twitter.com/thebuxtonblog/status/685786703441858560

Ugh, black and white gradients? Come on, Ron.

Xenoid posted:

Am I the only one who thinks James Allens' site has gone to poo poo?

That's because he has one or two writers besides himself pumping garbage out and they're pretty awful. The stuff he writes is still good.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Motocross, the sport where everyone is Nelson Piquet

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And these are the sports top guys I'm assuming?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

F1 needs more of this

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Brabham is cheating done well.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 10, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I like when manufactures cheat with tech. poo poo like double break pedals, the introduction of ground effects and areo, fan cars, hidden gas tanks inside other gas tanks. Crazy poo poo that breaks or changes the sport.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Too bad all we get these days is flexing front wings and increased fuel flow outside the sensor points.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I love that there are these incredibly specific rules like cars can only have four wheels, and you just know that there have been drunken engineer conversations that go something like "but it doesn't actually say that the engine has to be inside the car and that the car can't have wings"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Riso posted:

Too bad all we get these days is flexing front wings and increased fuel flow outside the sensor points.

easy joke would be wait until nando signs with renault and grasses on ron again but I suspect that car is so poo poo he has nothing to tell. I predict the next big drama will be when the mercs get overtaken by Ferrari and Toto puts the blame on Lewis' partying, drops him and Lewis does a nando.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
1982 was good because everybody was openly cheating and the governing body gave up trying to police it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
First part of what I assume will be a full HOUR AND A HALF of Max Chilton. Get yourselves a box of kleenex and a new pair of underwear, boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRQYriHYwx8

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
huh, how about that, I just googled Our Max and he looks to be doing rather well for himself last year. Did well in Indy lights and is doing bits for nissan in endurance racing. Not surprising he can get a drive, because real name Hilton, but fair enough, I did say without irony at the time that he was much better than his car - Only rookie to have ever finished every race, which given that it's in a car that's a dog to drive and ends up with permanently hosed tyres after the first few laps because of having to go on to the marbles while being lapped all the time, was quite impressive, and certainly more impressive than failing to observe yellow flags.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

huh, how about that, I just googled Our Max and he looks to be doing rather well for himself last year. Did well in Indy lights and is doing bits for nissan in endurance racing. Not surprising he can get a drive, because real name Hilton, but fair enough, I did say without irony at the time that he was much better than his car - Only rookie to have ever finished every race, which given that it's in a car that's a dog to drive and ends up with permanently hosed tyres after the first few laps because of having to go on to the marbles while being lapped all the time, was quite impressive, and certainly more impressive than failing to observe yellow flags.

his indy lights drive was supposed to be a prelude to carlin moving to indycar in 2016, which isn't happening, so he's looking for a seat on his own. nissan cancelled their LMP1 program.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Now I'm sad :(

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

Brabham is cheating done well.

They also had the prettiest cars

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

funeral fag posted:

They also had the prettiest cars

This deserved '84 WDC.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Brainwrong posted:

F1 needs more of this

You might like hockey. It's a proper sport.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve posted:

Everyone in the paddock will tell you he's a future WDC but they won't give him a drive because of political reasons (because he's British)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Best part of Our Max's career was when Sky took him with Jenson and Lewis to meet the fans at silverstone and throw caps to them and he just stood there really awkwardly like "What the gently caress am I doing here?? This is embarrassing for all concerned"

• Locked thread