Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So i uh pługged a 12v 2a power supply into my TS Mini. It seems to have survived and worked ok on a 9v I tested after. Is that all? Do I need to crack it open? There was a little smoke and a bad smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sometimes pedals have a little resistor at the power jack designed to burn out and save the pedal in case you overload it. But if it works fine I'd say it is fine.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Congrats you now have a one-of-a-kind tone-overvolted TS that will be worth $400 on Reverb in a couple years if you write some BS post on TGP about how it's now way more transparent and how the mids are haunting or some poo poo like that

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Oh my god how did I never think of that.

Take a long position but with crap pedals. Talk them up on the usual rube hangouts then reap the reward on the used market.

You guys this Behringer overdrive has amazing transients in the fragile upper harmonic space.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Honestly as long as it sounds fine I wouldn't worry too much.

Also if you're taking the long con make sure you compare it to sounds from various Led Zeppelin, Cream, and Hendrix songs. Gotta tap the blueslawyer market.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Plugged into a proper supply and it works without a buzz! hurrah!

I also snuck a HoF Mini and Polytune Mini into the order and they are amazing. I was going to get an Echo Shifter or a Flashback but I figure that can wait a while - same for Chorus/Flange/Phaser

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Pedal painting question: I've been doing a ton of DIY building with a friend lately, and we're interested in adding some graphics to the pedals. What's a good way to get a decently durable finish that doesn't involve ridiculous new equipment?

My current plan is stencil, high-quality spraypaint, and then a few layers of a clearcoat to protect it. The enclosure is already powdercoated, so it at least has some color, but hoping to add some contrast. Worst-case, we've got access to a CNC router and some aluminum bits, so we can just engrave the design directly into the metal, but it's got some thick lines, which might not look super-great.

Pedal itself is a hybrid germanium/silicon fuzz with a built-in voltage sag and an incredibly overengineered sealing system to make the interior as stable as possible, to help mitigate some of the issues with germanium transistors. It's been a real enjoyable experience learning to build pedal circuits and experimenting with them.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Hedningen posted:

Pedal painting question: I've been doing a ton of DIY building with a friend lately, and we're interested in adding some graphics to the pedals. What's a good way to get a decently durable finish that doesn't involve ridiculous new equipment?

My current plan is stencil, high-quality spraypaint, and then a few layers of a clearcoat to protect it. The enclosure is already powdercoated, so it at least has some color, but hoping to add some contrast. Worst-case, we've got access to a CNC router and some aluminum bits, so we can just engrave the design directly into the metal, but it's got some thick lines, which might not look super-great.

Pedal itself is a hybrid germanium/silicon fuzz with a built-in voltage sag and an incredibly overengineered sealing system to make the interior as stable as possible, to help mitigate some of the issues with germanium transistors. It's been a real enjoyable experience learning to build pedal circuits and experimenting with them.

You can buy a screen printing kit for like 40-50 bucks online or a hobby store. It's pretty easy and is a pretty neat thing to learn! Also looks muccccccch better than spray paint

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Hedningen posted:

I'm personally a fan of etching, it's not too hard to get into, and if you're doing you're own circuit boards you already have the means of making the mask. You mostly need an appropriate container, proper gloves/eyewear, your etchant of choice, and the time to do surface prep. Done correctly, it's as durable as the metal itself.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Thanks for the suggestions - definitely better than spraypaint. We did a few tests with the methods (just designs on some scrap aluminum), and I ended up liking how the engraving looked, so we're probably going to go with that for the pedal.

Now, for an actual effect-related question. I'm working on finalizing my pedalboard, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tweaking or good complimentary pedals to add/build. Mostly playing Sabbath-inspired stoner metal, with a general focus on slower riffs, some hints of psychedelia, and an emphasis on groove when we're not doing slow funerary stuff. Right now, I'm the only guitarist, so getting a fuller sound to compliment the other instruments is a priority.

Current chain is as follows:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah -> Modded DOD YJM 308 (true bypass, indicator LED, and swapped a bunch of the parts to get it back to the specs of a vintage 250) -> Custom Fuzz Pedal (the aforementioned Hoof clone, with a voltage sag mod and a switch to switch from the Germanium/Silicon transistors to a pure Silicon transistor mode if the Germanium is being bitchy) -> Modded Boss GE7 EQ (hiss reduction, mostly) -> Empress Tape Delay -> Modded EH Small Stone Phaser (Swapped resistors to get it to behave more). It's all running into an Orange Micro Dark, with only the Delay and Phaser on the effects loop.

In general, the wah is left on and used as a filter, the DOD is for a clean boost when needed (and to push the amp into a cleaner overdrive), and the fuzz is there to dirty the signal up. The EQ is there to get the various noisy things to behave and avoid weird feedback. The tape delay is mostly used to fatten the signal and add a little depth to it, along with a preset for when I need a bunch of repeats for a couple sections of songs. Phaser is . . . well, I don't know why the gently caress I keep it in, because I haven't used it for anything other than making some random rhythm parts weirder, but I like it so it should stay.

As far as other things to put in, I've got a Boss acoustic simulator that hisses like a motherfucker, but which will be getting opened up and messed with to see if I can get it to quiet down a bit. I'm not entirely sure where it would go in the chain - it's a strange mix of boost and reverb, which has always felt kinda neat but is hard to place. Definitely not an "acoustic" sound, but an interesting effect that could have a place somewhere. I'm thinking of adding chorus or reverb somewhere, although not sure where to start - the thread-recommend Supernatural seems like a safe enough bet for reverb.

Really, any suggestions for improvement are welcome here. I've tried switching them around to find sounds that I really enjoy, but it's hard to decide, so I figured I would farm this out to some knowledgable people to see if anyone had any suggestions for pedals. I've got a weird mix of "poo poo I bought in high school" and "things I can afford now that I'm playing again consistently", so stuff may get switched around as time goes on.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I like a slight chorus near the start of the chain when filing things out, maybe set at 3 or so.

But I just do guitar and drum loops in my study so what the hell do I know?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Get a vibrato pedal~~~~~~~

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

An octave pedal like a Boss OC-2 will fill out the sound. Use sparingly, just a touch of octave below. EHx makes one too, sounds nice before dirt.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Gorgar posted:

An octave pedal like a Boss OC-2 will fill out the sound. Use sparingly, just a touch of octave below. EHx makes one too, sounds nice before dirt.

The Ring Thing will let you detune the octave, too, so you can get some pitch warble, or even modulate it directly with the lfo.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

xpost guitar thread: what's the best opaque drive to give me that dual rectifier 90's Metallica sound? I was thinking the Wampler Triple Wreck or something, but that poo poo is EXPENSIVE AF - maybe the MXR 5150? Thoughts? Answers on a postcard?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Treble Boost into a Joyo Ultimate Drive (or OCD I guess) .

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
is it just me or does every devi ever pedal sound exactly the same?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smash it Smash hit posted:

is it just me or does every devi ever pedal sound exactly the same?

I've always been kind of baffled at the support devi pedals get. I've never cared for them. Also she's batshit crazy and awful last time I checked so I'm glad I never gave her money.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've always been kind of baffled at the support devi pedals get. I've never cared for them. Also she's batshit crazy and awful last time I checked so I'm glad I never gave her money.
she sold the company a few years back after her massive kickstarter failure

also yeah I think they sound pretty garbo

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Any good sites selling used pedals, aside from wading through ebay? I'm only just barely dipping my toes into the guitar pool, so I'm in no rush, but I'm just wondering for future purposes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Reverb.com is #1

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Reverb has a decent stock of used stuff being sold by people and is somewhat more searchable than eBay.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Detective Thompson posted:

Any good sites selling used pedals, aside from wading through ebay? I'm only just barely dipping my toes into the guitar pool, so I'm in no rush, but I'm just wondering for future purposes.

The typical places like Amazon, Sweetwater, Zzounds, etc. will typically have a "Used starting from..." option next to any pedal you search for. Also Guitar Center has a separate site for used stuff.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
+1 for Reverb.com from me too - I've had nothing but good experiences with them, both buying and selling.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Reverb is great and I got my last guitar there, which was as good as new, for like 700 less than new price

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Reverb's pretty good for fancypants stuff and Musicgoround sometimes has good deals on harder to find discontinued pedals.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Kilometers Davis posted:

She is pretty damned crazy, but the Hyperion is fairly well worth a look, especially if you're doing DIY stuff. I get a pretty good range of sounds out of mine, mostly going from a sort of doomy rip to that weird starved out velcro.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want a Devi Ever pedal. To me they all sound the same but the features differ (Octave up, bit crushing, etc). The fact that I'd be buying the design but not directly sorting crazy any more is a bonus too. She's started another pedal company too, Fuzz Goddess.

Dwarfcraft seem like cool guys though. I want a Rocket.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Thanks for the recommendations, I shall keep them in mind.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, I have heard some stuff from her being kind of overbearing. I just dont see how she has gotten so far (as far as she has) without really doing much. All she builds is fuzz circuits and none of them are really that innovative, and they are over priced for what they are.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Yeah, I have heard some stuff from her being kind of overbearing. I just dont see how she has gotten so far (as far as she has) without really doing much. All she builds is fuzz circuits and none of them are really that innovative, and they are over priced for what they are.

That describes like 95% of the whole handmade boutique pedal industry.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

comes along bort posted:

That describes like 95% of the whole handmade boutique pedal industry.

very true. check out my boy in russia tho. Ezhi and Aka, not only has weird awesome stuff but, hand screen prints a design for every pedal created.

https://ezhiandaka.ru

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

xpost guitar thread: what's the best opaque drive to give me that dual rectifier 90's Metallica sound? I was thinking the Wampler Triple Wreck or something, but that poo poo is EXPENSIVE AF - maybe the MXR 5150? Thoughts? Answers on a postcard?

Suhr riot or one of its cheapy clones? Metal muff?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 16, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Metal Muff is amazeballs for high gain sounds.
With some tweaking and fancy footwork turning the top boost on and off you can nail both tones of the alternating trem picked bit at 1.38 in
https://youtu.be/c0uNhebClgE

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Hey folks, after a burnout induced 2 year music/band hiatus I've been hitting it hard again this last month rehearsing for a gig. I'm looking for a good rotary pedal. I have a phase 90 but that's too much for my taste. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm currently eyeing an EH Lester G

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lester G, Boss rotary, Neo instruments Vent

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Science posted:

she sold the company a few years back after her massive kickstarter failure

also yeah I think they sound pretty garbo

Agrinja posted:

She is pretty damned crazy, but the Hyperion is fairly well worth a look, especially if you're doing DIY stuff. I get a pretty good range of sounds out of mine, mostly going from a sort of doomy rip to that weird starved out velcro.

Eh, there are tons of weird dudes and ladies in the pedal-making race. Fortunately, some of them are crazy in the right or downright dorky way. Like Zachary Vex and Mikey Fuller.

Still remember that one time he tried to convince me that the GT-500 was what I needed instead of the OCD. :allears:

I ended up buying both.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate the input and have spent tonight going through demo videos. I have spent the weekend being A) angry at jazz for being so hard, B) wallowing in a pit of nostalgia over Nirvana and Metallica.

This means, a) I need a chorus and b) I need to revisit this thread for input on toanz.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Metal Muff is amazeballs for high gain sounds.
With some tweaking and fancy footwork turning the top boost on and off you can nail both tones of the alternating trem picked bit at 1.38 in
https://youtu.be/c0uNhebClgE

Metal Muff and Amptweaker Tight Metal seem both TOO 'im 12 and this is metal', but that may just be the demos - if the gain is so high I can hear the percussive 'thuck' of the pick more than the note then that's a bit much.

massive spider posted:

Suhr riot or one of its cheapy clones? Metal muff?

Suhr Riot sounds alot like a cranked amp, rather than that full on saturation - it does sound good, but from everything I've seen it's a drive more than a distortion, right?

Bill Posters posted:

Treble Boost into a Joyo Ultimate Drive (or OCD I guess) .

Can you advise a bit more on the treble boost? That might be a good avenue to investigate, even though I didn't like the ultimate drive at all the last time I had one: it was noisy as heck.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anytime anyone brings up boosts I gotta mention the EQD Arrows. It's cheap and so so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Metal Muff can be gentler at low gain settings but its forte is stupid high gain percussive tones. It'll never be a gentle booster, when I was still using my Bandit 112 (stuck with modellers atm) I used the Muff through the clean channel as my dirty tone- it does the one thing and it does it well but much as I love it I appreciate it is not for everyone. Gain under 10 o'clock will do you well, and the eq is very responsive, a disarmingly delicate touch is needed, especially with the mids and Top Boost knob. If you can try one it can't hurt, YouTube doesn't really do it justice and it is also very dependent on the eq on the amp. Scooped on the amp is not its friend.

With chorus pedals, try out as many as you can. My brother and I have been through about 5 between us (not counting multis) and finding one that didn't clip eluded us, particularly the more analogue wannabe ones. Still have a Wasabi one that sounds thick and can get seriously wobbly but strum too enthusiastically and it is not a happy bunny.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 21, 2016