Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

...How old are you?

That's a standard question actually so far as I know, possibly in the unlikely event a literal nazi tries to immigrate and forgets to lie.

Of course if you're say, Werhner von Braun, you get in anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

That's a standard question actually so far as I know, possibly in the unlikely event a literal nazi tries to immigrate and forgets to lie.

Of course if you're say, Werhner von Braun, you get in anyway.

I think we're past that point, honestly! Maybe someone should have a look at those questions again. Especially since most people who move to the US now are not in their 80s or over.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
since the topic is the role of women in society... cultural Protestantism - participation of women in the church (and, by secular extension, civic life more generally), opposition to cousin marriage (icky!), a relatively nuclear family unit, a relatively weak strain of familial honour/obligations on the conduct of related women. Family and inheritance law matters - it drives capital accumulation, and capital is central to how societies are structured.

there are other features of the outlook more generally - you don't have to buy into a Weberian framework to observe that mysticism is a relatively weak force in Protestant regions - doctrinal knowledge is given a much heavier weight, etc. If you fundamentally concede that these philosophies are subject to debate and reason, then you are already a fish breathing these waters.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Tesseraction posted:

The Roman Catholic church is a patriarchal, conservative congregation and some of them gently caress little boys. Catholics should be banned from entering European countries.

:agreed: all religion is a regressive force and a mental disease. That's why I don't have a problem with Trump's policies towards Muslims. Maybe if we start out expelling/blocking Muslims we can expand it to Christians and every other idiotic religion in the world. And let's remember, religion isn't a permanent feature that a human being is stuck with their whole life (like race, gender or sexual orientation), they can easily recant it and become secular if they want to stay in/move to the West.

Miftan posted:

...How old are you?

Not that old. Don't ask me why the questions are like that, no one would ever answer yes to a single one of them even if they had prosecuted a guerilla war using child soldiers or been a member of the dastardly communist party. Mainly it just screws over people from China and other countries that are officially communist, who joined the party for the career benefits and monthly picnic.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 11, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

...How old are you?

Doesn't matter how old you are, they still ask that one. I was born in 1977.

Edit: questionnaire looks to be here, btw -

http://www.alaskaimmigration.com/index.html/General%20Immigration%20Questionnaire.pdf

Not 'thousands' of questions, now is it.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Yes, I was exaggerating for effect when I said thousands, as humans do you enormous autist. but I still answered far, far more than are listed there, looks like you got off easy.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Careful he will make a wiki detailing your autism now.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
The militant atheist who wants to ban all religious people from cross border movement because they're 'stupid' is calling other people autistic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe he was exaggerating.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lmaoboy1998 posted:

The militant atheist who wants to ban all religious people from cross border movement because they're 'stupid' is calling other people autistic.

He's ok with it as long as they start with the Mohadistlims first.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe he was exaggerating.
Yeah, maybe he only wants to ban one or two religions.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Can we talk about something else? Anything else?

quote:

Around 11am: David Cameron gives a speech on life chances and extending opportunity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everything else is depressing though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good post in the Europol thread by the way lmaoboy1998, pity it is the dumpster fire to end all dumpster fires.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think that's tied in with his knock all the council estates down and maybe replace a few with private housing plan.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Serotonin posted:

He's ok with it as long as they start with the Mohadistlims first.

I'd rather start with deporting the Evangelical Christians because there's a lot more of them and they're about equally as lovely as the Muslims, but you take what you can get.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strange, normally people of your ideology go for the Jews first.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ronya posted:

cultural Protestantism - participation of women in the church (and, by secular extension, civic life more generally), opposition to cousin marriage (icky!)

I don't think opposition to cousin marriage is a Protestant thing. Most Protestant denominations allow it, unlike Orthodox churches; Roman Catholics needed a dispensation until the 20th century. The American aversion to it is modern and more connected with social Darwinism than with religion, I think (which is especially ironic because of the US support for creationism and the fact that Darwin married his cousin).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Can't gas them if you deport them, can you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

This is actually a darkly amusing thing in the far-right, neo-Nazis trying to pretend they were always cool with Jews and it's the Muslims who are the real problem as their country's accepted scapegoats shift. Results in a whole lot of mortified retractions when some skinhead goes off-message.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Not my experience with the U.K. far right. They are all about blaming the Jew. Islamification is apparently a Jewish plot. White Genocide and all that.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
http://www.theguardian.com/healthca...s-privatisation

quote:

My junior doctor colleagues are striking for the wrong reasons

As a junior doctor working in a busy teaching hospital, I have been asked several times why I am not striking. The answer, for me at least, is that we are striking for the wrong reasons.

The proposed contract is certainly worth getting upset about; someone like myself working in emergency medicine will see a significant cut in salary and will likely work longer and more antisocial hours, putting our personal lives and patients’ safety at risk. But this contract is not the problem, it is a symptom of a much larger problem, one that threatens the very existence of the NHS, and that problem is this government’s overriding desire to privatise our health service. This is what we should be striking over.

George Osborne is on course to privatise more public assets than any chancellor since 1979, predicted to be £64bn by the end of this parliament. The health secretary, Jeremy Hunt, has co-authored a pamphlet in which he said: “Our ambition should be to break down the barriers between private and public provision, in effect denationalising the provision of healthcare in Britain.”

The NHS is such a prized target for privatisation, not only because there is such huge potential for profit for private healthcare providers, but also because it stands as a shining example of why the ideological drive to privatise every last iota of public services is so deeply flawed.

If you were to believe scaremongering in the press, you might be forgiven for thinking the NHS is a crumbling, expensive disaster. In actual fact it is an incredibly efficient system, providing world-class healthcare at one of the lowest costs per capita of all developed nations.

It’s truly a wonder to observe from the inside. The other night I watched a girl rushed into the emergency department with a severe head injury after an accident. She was assessed immediately, her head was scanned showing a large intracranial bleed and she was rushed for emergency neurosurgery, which saved her life. The wonderful thing is it wouldn’t have mattered if she was a penniless student or royalty, she would have received the same world-class care for free.

Indeed, the NHS consistently polls as the thing that the British people are most proud of, and this overwhelmingly positive sentiment was reflected by the miraculous achievement of the Lewisham and Greenwich NHS choir’s song A Bridge Over You reaching the number one spot in the Christmas charts this year.

In comparison, the US healthcare system, which Hunt admires so much, provides one of the worst healthcare systems in the developed world at the highest cost per capita. The only people winning are the insurance firms, with the largest US insurance company posting profits of over $6 Billion in 2014. But this is the direction in which the NHS is heading. Last year alone, nearly 40% of all new NHS deals signed went to private firms. More worrying still is the possibility that the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), currently being negotiated, will provide a legal means for US private insurance firms to sue the UK government for the right to access state controlled healthcare services.

I believe that there is a concerted attack on the NHS by this government from many different sides, and the proposed new junior doctors contracts is just one aspect of this. The formula to privatise state services has been tried and tested; take a functioning and highly-regarded service, underfund it, demoralise and blame the staff, highlight its failings and present the only option for saving it as opening it up to private investment.
By striking over what can easily be spun by the government as a pay dispute, we risk playing into the government’s hands, turning public opinion against us and undermining the enormous challenge that faces us. Instead we should be using the talent and energy that this campaign has gathered to join with everyone else who works in the NHS, and most importantly the public, to protest not just against this contract but against every aspect of this destructive privatisation.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Oh dear me posted:

I don't think opposition to cousin marriage is a Protestant thing. Most Protestant denominations allow it, unlike Orthodox churches; Roman Catholics needed a dispensation until the 20th century. The American aversion to it is modern and more connected with social Darwinism than with religion, I think (which is especially ironic because of the US support for creationism and the fact that Darwin married his cousin).

it's not a uniquely Protestant thing, it's inherited from the Roman church. Legal or not, as a cultural practice it's still avoided by the bourgeois class, which therefore impacts whether capital accumulates inter-generationally through family-run entities, or whether it must instead accrue to corporate persons

the main difference is not with the Catholics but with the Islamic crescent, where cousin marriage is both more acceptable and more prevalent

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 11, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

This is actually a darkly amusing thing in the far-right, neo-Nazis trying to pretend they were always cool with Jews and it's the Muslims who are the real problem as their country's accepted scapegoats shift. Results in a whole lot of mortified retractions when some skinhead goes off-message.
They mostly hate both.

(Of course, many in the UK far-right hate Europe too :v:)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serotonin posted:

Not my experience with the U.K. far right. They are all about blaming the Jew. Islamification is apparently a Jewish plot. White Genocide and all that.

You see it a lot in groups like UKIP and the EDL, plus across the pond - Marine Le Pen kicked her own father out because he kept being too old-school in his fascism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I miss when France used to shoot their nazis for being collaborateurs.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Serotonin posted:

Well obviously. Israel keeps them in the breeding pen that is Palestine then sets them loose on the rest of the world to rape their way to white genocide, or something.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Good post in the Europol thread by the way lmaoboy1998, pity it is the dumpster fire to end all dumpster fires.

thnx ;). It's a weird thread with a lot of weird dudes for sure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmaoboy1998 posted:

thnx ;). It's a weird thread with a lot of weird dudes for sure.

Yeah, seriously. I cleansed my palate from that by reading evilweasel trolling the poo poo out of the gunchat thread and making gun humpers go rabid.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

You see it a lot in groups like UKIP and the EDL, plus across the pond - Marine Le Pen kicked her own father out because he kept being too old-school in his fascism.

Sure but those civic nationalist groups are seen as Jew led by the more aggressively and open far right like National Action, BUF, NF et al

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

gently caress sake, the strikes didn't go forward the first time so of course the Guardian finds the scab from that strike to write a second article for this one.

THe gently caress is wrong with the Guardian.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Another member of the Shadow Cabinet resigns, this time the Shadow Attorney General Catherine McKinnel

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Gonzo McFee posted:

gently caress sake, the strikes didn't go forward the first time so of course the Guardian finds the scab from that strike to write a second article for this one.

THe gently caress is wrong with the Guardian.

They are a liberal paper

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35281203

quote:

Shadow attorney general Catherine McKinnell has resigned from the shadow cabinet, citing concerns over Labour's direction under Jeremy Corbyn.
Ms McKinnell said Labour was heading down an "increasingly negative path" and that she was concerned about recent "internal conflict".
With a "heavy heart", she said she believed she could better serve Labour from the backbenches.
She is the fourth MP to quit the front bench since the recent reshuffle.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Ddraig posted:

Well obviously. Israel keeps them in the breeding pen that is Palestine then sets them loose on the rest of the world to rape their way to white genocide, or something.

Uncannily accurate reflection of their beliefs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And people complaing about Corbyn's inability to make fast decisions.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Serotonin posted:

Uncannily accurate reflection of their beliefs.

I unfortunately have met more than my fair share of white supremacists so often get a keen insight into their views. Thankfully most of the ones I meet are the ones who want to change.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
No one appears to be reporting that in her publishes resignation letter her first given reason for stepping down is just having had a third child and the logistics of family and the position being too hard to manage.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Saurus posted:

What does Culturally Protestant mean?

I thought Northern Europeans were meant to be Culturally Marxist :commissar: (though i don't know what that's supposed to mean either)

Cultural Marxism is a term used by bad people to mean anyone who has feelings for their fellow man and doesn't take every opportunity to destroy everything and climb over the remains of the dead and dying. We've confused ourselves with the centuries of philosophers wanking themselves silly over whether good and evil truly exists. The barbarian, the cutpurse, the robber baron and the SS officer about to execute a kneeling prisoner with a Luger shot to the head all exist today. They just write blogs or if they have money they lobby negative causes and nudge humanity towards destruction and dystopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Pesmerga posted:

No one appears to be reporting that in her publishes resignation letter her first given reason for stepping down is just having had a third child and the logistics of family and the position being too hard to manage.

• Locked thread