Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Actually, talking of Noel Edmonds, does anyone have a link to that article about him from a while ago where it went into just how batshit he is? My favourite moment was the bit where he talked about how he met his new partner through CO but then she left him, so obviously he hadn't been specific enough in his request to the universe.

e: 13th Jan 1960 - Gulag system officially abolished. Class traitors roam free.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

winegums posted:

I've had this argument with a few doctors. People seem to be keen on the BMA maintaining 'political neutrality', but that's clearly doing gently caress all for us. It worked when there was respect for doctors from both sides of the commons, but it's pretty clear the Tories don't care anymore. Given how often doctors have been on TV in the last few weeks arguing with DoH stooges in lieu of Jeremy Hunt himself, I think the idea that the BMA can remain apolitical is pretty laughable.

It's not just doctors, people expect all health care professionals to remain apolitical. It's at least in part to do with the rise of social media meaning patients can look you up.

E: basically bear in mind that anytime someone's in the news the first thing that'll happen is a reveal of their social media presence spun in a way that makes them look bad. Such as the recent non story about junior doctors daring to take a/l

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Was mortis the name of the robot that entered every year, had a really mad pick axe that could ruin poo poo and they always went on about how technically minded its team was/how much it cost but then it just instantly got beat some piece of poo poo looking wedge on wheels. This happened every time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In defence of flipperbots, the most tournament-successful one was Chaos 2, which could literally throw other robots out of the arena. That was pretty rad.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Chaos 2 was basically peak flipperbot. It was the best at it. They can stop trying now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Checks out.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nothing to seehere posted:

Then you'd get basically no-one on the show. Autonomous robots (especially for a task as vague as "destroy other robot") are really loving hard to program, and would bug out and ram into a wall more often than not.

Im a programmer and Ive hosed about with robotics: I know this. it would still be cooler :)

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
How do we know that none of us aren't already robots?

Answer that and stay fashionable Mr So-Called Scientists.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Stick a USB up my arse and send me into the battle, I'll come back a hero.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Stick a USB up my arse and send me into the battle, I'll come back a hero.

Not the hero we need, but truly the hero we deserve.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The report of the transgender equality inquiry is now out.

The Good
  • The rules of gender reassignment must be vastly simplified.
  • The NHS is in clear breach of the law when it comes to the 18-week right to treatment.
  • "X" markers on passports for non-binary people must be introduced.
  • Putting trans people in the wrong prison must absolutely stopped.
  • Equality legislation should refer to gender identity, not gender reassignment.
  • Trans youth should get easier access to healthcare and gender recognition.
  • Hate crime legislation should be generalised to all protected characteristics.
  • A gender recognition certificate should vitiate the ability of single-sex accommodations and employers under the Equality Act to discriminate against trans people.

The Bad
  • The spousal veto is here to stay.
  • Makes no recommendations on how to square the circle of medicine for trans youth and Gillick competency.
  • By and large, kicks non-binary issues into the long grass.
  • No actual legal power behind a select committee report, after all.

The Ugly
  • Because the spousal veto is here to stay, an abusive spouse can withhold their consent to their trans spouse getting a gender recognition certificate, and, by extension, impair their right to access domestic violence shelters.

5/10, could do better.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

[*]The NHS is in clear breach of the law when it comes to the 18-week right to treatment.

Don't expect to really see anything done about this anytime soon though what with the lack of services and appropriately trained staff :(

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pissflaps just wanted someone to post this.
https://youtu.be/EhKB0bzmvb4

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You'll remember that the last time UKMT had cause to think of Noel Edmonds he was claiming some old bollocks about 'electro-smog' being the single greatest threat to humanity.

Today, though, he seems to be having other concerns:

Being the helpful soul I am, I have already thought of one solution to Mr Edmonds' problem. He could, quite simply, gently caress off and live somewhere else. Everybody wins!

But to leave the country, he'd first have to get to the airport. Before that, he'd have to get to his car. Before that, out of the house.

All of these journeys, impossible, because there are too many loving brown people, just lying around all over the place in drifts three feet deep. He couldn't even get out of bed yesterday, buried as he was beneath a sea of immigrants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

• "X" markers on passports for non-binary people must be introduced.
Why is gender even a thing on passports anyway? I don't have my race on my passport, and the only countries that were into that kind of thing were widely regarded as poo poo. I don't think I have my gender on my driving license either, unless it's secretly hidden in the code bit. Just taking it off would be easier for everyone.

quote:

• Because the spousal veto is here to stay, an abusive spouse can withhold their consent to their trans spouse getting a gender recognition certificate, and, by extension, impair their right to access domestic violence shelters.
If the spouse is really that much of a poo poo, wouldn't introducing no fault divorce be a better solution?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Not the hero we need, but truly the hero we deserve.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think I have my gender on my driving license either, unless it's secretly hidden in the code bit.

It actually is. The six digits in the middle are made from your date of birth (first digit of the year, then month and day followed by last digit of the year). The second digit has 5 added to it if you're female, so women's licence numbers read x5xxxx or x6xxxx, while men's will be x0xxxx or x1xxxx.

I have no idea what they do for non-binary, or if it's even possible to pick "other" on the initial application. Presumably just defaults to one or the other.

I also have no idea why this is even a thing.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 14, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Weird, I wonder why they felt the need to do that being as it's referenced nowhere else.

What're the three at the end? Checksum?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would guess perhaps it may be a holdover from before the use of computing to centralize the licensing, so in lieu of having to have a central database, a serial number may just be a form of your details followed by a smaller, localized serial number for the issuing office?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_the_United_Kingdom#History

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jan/13/plan-to-end-student-grants-without-commons-vote-outrages-opposition

Osborne really hates poor people and having to actually debate things like normal

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The last two letters are check letters. The number just prior is an indication of the number of people that have the exact same details as you. Same surname, same date of birth, same two first initials. It's counts down from 9.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonna have decuplets and then give them all the same name just to troll the DVLA.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sebzilla posted:

Actually, talking of Noel Edmonds, does anyone have a link to that article about him from a while ago where it went into just how batshit he is?
Are you thinking of the Jon Ronson article?

StoneOfShame posted:

Was mortis the name of the robot that entered every year, had a really mad pick axe that could ruin poo poo and they always went on about how technically minded its team was/how much it cost but then it just instantly got beat some piece of poo poo looking wedge on wheels. This happened every time.
I always remember Razer as looking totally badass and being quite powerful, and then every match it just quietly died halfway through :(

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm on a train and there's cold air blowing out of the vents where warm air should be coming out. This train is a loving fridge what is wrong with this country

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sounds efficient as gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't worry, there's a plan to fix it. They'll just route the diesel exhaust directly into the paup carriages.

It's not like you didn't choose to sit there after all.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TACD posted:

Are you thinking of the Jon Ronson article?
I always remember Razer as looking totally badass and being quite powerful, and then every match it just quietly died halfway through :(

One time it managed to wedge itself against a perfectly flat floor with its wheels off the ground :allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

They can weigh well over a hundred kilos - the House Robots weighed several hundred. Hope you've been working out.

I wouldn't fight the house robots that's not required to win. All I have to do is outrun those fuckers.

That said I can only deadlift about 70 so I guess I'll need to get back on the lifting.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

I was always surprised that New Labour didn't do this. It would have been more consistent with the way they think about student fees i.e. as it stands the current system is effectively a tax break for well off middle class people who happened to have parents with low income at the time they were applying for university.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

the level of technology that can now be put into a combat robot is genuinely horrific to watch

i had a look at the american robot wars knockoff and this one thing just threw itself across the arena every time its spinning weapon hit anything

it ended up actually tearing itself apart

it was beautiful

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One time it managed to wedge itself against a perfectly flat floor with its wheels off the ground :allears:

Ah yeah, they thought they'd won so they did their salute thing where they opened the claw so Razer lifted off the ground on a little spike at the back, but it got stuck. And it turned out the opponent wasn't done yet.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

dispatch_async posted:

i.e. as it stands the current system is effectively a tax break for well off middle class people who happened to have parents with low income at the time they were applying for university.

I don't get this at all: degrees aren't the preserve of the middle-class anymore.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OvineYeast posted:

I don't get this at all: degrees aren't the preserve of the middle-class anymore.

They kind of are.

I mean technically I'm sure anyone can get one but realistically you're far more likely to get one if you have a good school career which is a decidedly middle class thing. Or at least a decidedly "person with enough money to spend lots of time with their kids and give them a stable home life and pay for all their school stuff" thing.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

They kind of are.

I mean technically I'm sure anyone can get one but realistically you're far more likely to get one if you have a good school career which is a decidedly middle class thing. Or at least a decidedly "person with enough money to spend lots of time with their kids and give them a stable home life and pay for all their school stuff" thing.

But those people don't get maintenance grants anyway?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OvineYeast posted:

But those people don't get maintenance grants anyway?

I believe maintenence grants are based on your household income.

So if you move away to go to uni I think you get them.

Also given that the poor don't get them either most of the time because they don't go to university, there's probably more lower middle class people getting them than there are actual poor people.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OvineYeast posted:

Or the guaranteed key to a professional high-paying job either. Turns out having more people go to university doesn't mean there are more of those jobs, it just means even crappy jobs now require degrees.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I believe maintenence grants are based on your household income.

So if you move away to go to uni I think you get them.

It's based on your parents' household income unless you're a mature student (or have had an irretrievable breakdown of your relationship with them)

quote:

Also given that the poor don't get them either most of the time because they don't go to university, there's probably more lower middle class people getting them than there are actual poor people.

Lower-middle class people who happen to be poor?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Degrees are still the preserve of the middle class. This is because everyone who isn't on benefits think they're middle class though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

The report of the transgender equality inquiry is now out.

The Good
[list]
[*]"X" markers on passports for non-binary people must be introduced.

Can't really be bothered reading the report myself. Did it give a reason for choosing that over removing gender from all passports? Since MPs have been bringing it up recently it'd be an odd omission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OvineYeast posted:

It's based on your parents' household income unless you're a mature student (or have had an irretrievable breakdown of your relationship with them)

Lower-middle class people who happen to be poor?

According to .gov.uk the brackets are not exactly what I would call poverty.

code:
Maintenance Grant for living costs

You have to give details of your household income and your course start date.

The grant is paid into your bank account at the start of term. You don’t have to pay it back, but any funds you get will reduce 
the Maintenance Loan you can get.

Full-time student – household income 	

Grant for courses from September 2015 	Grant for courses from September 2016
£25,000 or less 	£3,387 					£3,387
£30,000 		£2,441 					£2,441
£35,000 		£1,494 					£1,494
£40,000 		£547 					£547
£42,620 		£50 					£50
Over £42,620 		No grant 				No grant

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread