Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Some legal rights, sure. The ability to spitefully veto their gender identity is not a right worth defending.

The right of a person to not be bound to a marriage where their spouse has changed identity is.

The solution for both parties is for easier divorce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Wasn't there a brief period in Ireland where, due to the way they worded marriage laws, made opposite-sex marriages illegal?

That must have been fun.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Prince John posted:

Edit: If we're considering it to be a medical illness, are there other 'treatments'? E.g. are anti-depressants a valid alternative to gender reassignment surgery, or is it a pale shadow of a treatment?

Gender dysphoria has historically been classified along with the personality disorders due to its range of symptoms and outcome. To avoid absolutely any discussion as to why, or the models this works within, personality disorders are extremely difficult to treat in any context. The improvement in outcome of a patient-led transition is, inside these contexts, exceptional.

Being unable to transition gives you a personality disorder that'll probably be untreatable and may kill you, is what to draw from this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

I didn't say it should - I was responding to your statement that "Surely you love the person you married, and it shouldn't matter if they start taking hormone pills."

Right, but the hormone pills doesn't make your wife grow a big swinging dick. It might change their physiology slightly but it's primarily an anti-depressant. Not all trans men or women undergo major corrective surgery and certainly no immediately after coming to terms with their gender identity. If you can love a depressed spouse there's no major difference.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

Wasn't there a brief period in Ireland where, due to the way they worded marriage laws, made opposite-sex marriages illegal?

That must have been fun.

It's still illegal in Northern Ireland.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

The right of a person to not be bound to a marriage where their spouse has changed identity is.

The solution for both parties is for easier divorce.

Which is why I said that no-fault divorce should be legal. I take issue with the right to veto at all, let alone for a 2-5 year period.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd assume, and I may be slightly unfair here UKMT, that anyone in UKMT who is married is probably going to have to deal with a depressed spouse.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Tesseraction posted:

Do courses in the US vary by subject? I could imagine that America's hatred of Liberal Arts would lead to those courses being cheaper. I know that Harvard Law will put you about a half-mil in debt (one of our D&D regs is exactly this).

At state schools worth mentioning here it's mostly the same tuition for anyone at the university and if it isn't then tuition will be differentiated by which school of the university you're in, so like someone in the college of business paying different tuition from someone in the college of arts.

But at least in the University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin systems, it was the same tuition for all undergrads. My understanding is that the difference usually comes from fees they tack on that every student is obligated to pay, Building fees, technology fees, lab fees, gym fees. So that everyone is subsidizing the sports majors, or the STEM majors, or whatever through fees.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Which is why I said that no-fault divorce should be legal. I take issue with the right to veto at all, let alone for a 2-5 year period.

Then we simply disagree on this. If you go into marriage without expecting there to be constraints on your rights and behaviour as a result then you didn't do your research.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Green Wing posted:

Fun fact: we were very close to the marriage (same-sex couples) act having, when it was a bill, a clause in it which would have done just that (the first bit, not the banning marriage bit). The clause was voted on in the public bill committee, and the division was 7 Ayes, 7 Noes. The Chair was bound by precedent to cast his deciding vote with the Noes and leave the bill unamended.
I'm hoping for good things this month.

Despite what the past years have taught me about hope.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Ddraig posted:

I'd assume, and I may be slightly unfair here UKMT, that anyone in UKMT who is married is probably going to have to deal with a depressed spouse.

funnily enough, i'm guessing everyone here with an opinion on the marriage laws isn't actually married

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Right, but the hormone pills doesn't make your wife grow a big swinging dick.

gently caress, I'm cancelling my order.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Then we simply disagree on this. If you go into marriage without expecting there to be constraints on your rights and behaviour as a result then you didn't do your research.

Some constraints. Of course there should be a relationship of trust and mutual respect but that doesn't mean that you need your spouse's permission to solve a medical condition.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Some constraints. Of course there should be a relationship of trust and mutual respect but that doesn't mean that you need your spouse's permission to solve a medical condition.

When it affects the nature of the marriage that both parties legally agreed to then yes, it should.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

funnily enough, i'm guessing everyone here with an opinion on the marriage laws isn't actually married

I'm divorced, actually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

When it affects the nature of the marriage that both parties legally agreed to then yes, it should.

I'm not sure it making your dick go soft is really grounds for interfering with the medical treatment of your partner.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

We're talking about how the law should be changed, not what it is right now

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

Here's a map of signatures on the petition "Allow trans people to self-define their own gender" in England.

Ten hottest constituencies: Cambridge (291), Brighton Pavillion (252), York Central (229), Bristol West (215), Oxford East (203), Lewisham Deptford (176), Edinburgh East (153), Sheffield Central (146), Leeds Central (135), Hove (133).

I wonder what links those ten places.

Although that isn't LGBTory research, it's research by the (LGBTory committee member) Zoe Kirk-Robinson. She's not bad for a Tory, mind you.

An easy mistake to make, but Edinburgh East isn't in England.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kinda surprised how poorly the GLBT petition is doing - 40,000 signatures.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Then let it anull the marriage.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

interesting that flaps here feels entitled to his wifes' consent to medical treatment over contract minutae

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

interesting that flaps here feels entitled to his wifes' consent to medical treatment over contract minutae

Knowing that your spouse will be have a say in your medical treatment shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Tesseraction posted:

Sounds reasonable.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Knowing that your spouse will be have a say in your medical treatment shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Absolutely. Overruling your spouse might be objectionable, though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spangly A posted:

interesting that flaps here feels entitled to his wifes' consent

:eyepop:

Spangly A posted:

to medical treatment

oh phew

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Tesseraction posted:

This looks a bit like the suggestion way back in my original post - do you think that's the solution that works least badly for all parties?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure it making your dick go soft is really grounds for interfering with the medical treatment of your partner.

I feel like this kind of thing is sort of glossing over how big of a deal this can be for both people, and how difficult it can be for someone in a marriage to accept big changes in the person they married

Which is exactly why they shouldn't be given a big 'gently caress you' button to press. Even a perfectly rational person shouldn't have that kind of power over their partner, in a difficult and emotionally charged situation it's even worse. It's not like it even makes the issue go away, in the end it's more spiteful than anything

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

Absolutely. Overruling your spouse might be objectionable, though.

I might find it objectionable, but then so might divorcees when presented with a maintenance bill.

Getting married has consequences.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Pissflaps posted:

Then we simply disagree on this. If you go into marriage without expecting there to be constraints on your rights and behavior as a result then you didn't do your research.

A medical condition is not a behavior. That's the point. If i have to have diabetes treatment, my partner should have the right to say "No, you can't, cause i'm your legal partner".

Yes, easier Divorce is a good thing, but removing this veto is needed because it is a horrible piece of legislation. It removes definition of self from the person, and to another. And from what it sounds like, it is being used out of spite, which is another reason to be shot of it.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
ban marriage imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qthNLwFHiB4

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Sounds reasonable.

*bangs gavel*

Aaaaand that's a wrap everyone.

Now, onto the new discussion:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-10476433.html

Jeremy Corbyn's supporters are more working class than other candidates'

Liz Kendall's tend to be wealthy.

Anyone else surprised? :laugh:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

StoicFnord posted:

A medical condition is not a behavior. That's the point. If i have to have diabetes treatment, my partner should have the right to say "No, you can't, cause i'm your legal partner".

But it is a right. Get a divorce.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince John posted:

This looks a bit like the suggestion way back in my original post - do you think that's the solution that works least badly for all parties?

Yes. My issue is your steadfast dedication to the veto.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I might find it objectionable, but then so might divorcees when presented with a maintenance bill.

Getting married has consequences.

So does the maintenance bill or the life-affecting medical disorder bother you more here?

I mean you're making a fairly good argument for the eradication of the legal concept of marriage otherwise

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

TinTower posted:

Here's a map of signatures on the petition "Allow trans people to self-define their own gender" in England.

Ten hottest constituencies: Cambridge (291), Brighton Pavillion (252), York Central (229), Bristol West (215), Oxford East (203), Lewisham Deptford (176), Edinburgh East (153), Sheffield Central (146), Leeds Central (135), Hove (133).

I wonder what links those ten places.

That's really interesting; is there a map showing the whole UK?

The "I wonder" sounds rhetorical, but I'm at a loss to think of any connections besides "they all seem like nice places to live" and "have large student/university populations [except Edinburgh East, and possibly Hove and Lewisham]"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

So does the maintenance bill or the life-affecting medical disorder bother you more here?

What bothers me is people expecting there to be no consequences of getting married.

It's simple to not endure the consequences of marriage: don't get married.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

I feel like this kind of thing is sort of glossing over how big of a deal this can be for both people, and how difficult it can be for someone in a marriage to accept big changes in the person they married

Which is exactly why they shouldn't be given a big 'gently caress you' button to press. Even a perfectly rational person shouldn't have that kind of power over their partner, in a difficult and emotionally charged situation it's even worse. It's not like it even makes the issue go away, in the end it's more spiteful than anything

I have limited sympathy for people who are not willing to invest the time into their significant other to figure out that they're not a significantly different person, regardless of what they look like. And I have even less sympathy for those unwilling to extend support to their partners if they were faced with something as difficult as transitioning. And I have absolutely zero sympathy for people who would like a way to legally impair their partners after the fact from completing their transition, just to be a dickhead.

Many things are difficult, I expect people to deal with them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I hope Corbs buys a Pinarello Dogma with all that money and rides it everyday.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Pissflaps posted:

But it is a right. Get a divorce.

You get a divorce. It doesn't mean that there should be a prevention of the GRC. I see no reason why marital status has any bearing on GRC at all.

The right to gently caress up someone who has to deal with the very real issues they face in sorting out a GRC is not a right at all. Its straight up crap and should be gotten rid of and I cannot see why this even exists.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Wait, spouses in the UK can veto people getting necessary treatment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

In other news, http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/jan/14/mp-landlords-number-risen-quarter-last-parliament-housing-bill

40% of Tory MPs are landlords, including Cameron and Osborne. Not really a surprise, but holy gently caress conflict of interest.

• Locked thread