Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I figure some people (all people?) here would be interested in this: http://brightsparks.movie/

Synth documentary, looks (and sounds) excellent, from the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I figure some people (all people?) here would be interested in this: http://brightsparks.movie/

Synth documentary, looks (and sounds) excellent, from the trailer.

Hopefully it's not as disappointing as IDOW.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If Native Instruments think just because they sent me a 39 Aud gift voucher that I'm then going to pony up 100 dollaryoos to by Razor then they are right.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Those vouchers kinda irritate me as a Komplete Ultimate owner, because they're no good for upgrades. Since I already own most everything NI makes, that means I'm SOL with a voucher unless there's an entirely new product line I'm itching to buy into that $25 US would make a different on.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Do I need to own Reaktor 6 to use that Blocks Wired thing they give us in that promotion?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nah, you can use Reaktor 6 Player.

breaks
May 12, 2001

It's a bit of shame that you can't repatch the blocks using Player. Can you even look to see how they are wired up? A little confusing if not.

Blocks are great though and the 1.1 update includes some cool poo poo, I upgraded to R6 outside of the Komplete cycle and haven't regretted it for a second.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
FWIW Soundtoys is now doing their pay-what-you-want for Little PrimalTap, their delay plugin.

http://www.soundtoys.com/moas/

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Snagged all 4 of them, I hate dongles with the power of a thousand suns but software Ilok (besides looking like early 2002 InstallShield) isn't too bad. Just don't forget that if you ever want to build a new computer, make sure you use it to deactivate the plugins on the old one because otherwise it won't let you activate them on the new one :

MicroShift and PrimalTap together can do wiiiiiide 80s poo poo but I'm most impressed with Little Alterboy (which was for free a few months before that). The pitching is not sophisticated (it would not surprise me if it runs a recompiled H3000 algo or something) but it's hella fun and it's dead easy to drop in on some R&B acapella to make SoundCloud stoner 808 beats.

Wasn't that impressed with Little Radiator but hey I got to buy off my guilt for this year again I guess

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Odd question but anyone know where I can buy Cubase 5 for Mac?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://www.u-he.com/cms/179-protoverb

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Sounds OK....but very CPU heavy.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Did anyone buy anything this year or did you find the deals a little lackluster? I was hoping to score a cheaper upgrade to Reaktor 6, or nab Plogue's stuff on sale, but no dice. I already have the Arturia Collection (although not the current edition), most of UVI's stuff and the core NI VSTs so there's not a heck of a lot left to get unless I want to get something more esoteric.

I did pick up Rytmick Ultimate for my 3DS and it's fun to play around with.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Did anyone buy anything this year or did you find the deals a little lackluster? I was hoping to score a cheaper upgrade to Reaktor 6, or nab Plogue's stuff on sale, but no dice. I already have the Arturia Collection (although not the current edition), most of UVI's stuff and the core NI VSTs so there's not a heck of a lot left to get unless I want to get something more esoteric.

FXpansion is offering 50% off a number of items. I may pick up Tremor just because...

https://www.fxpansion.com/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Yeah I grabbed a few weird Kontakt libraries from Modwheel on the cheap, but that's about it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got razor. :toot:

edit: I also got Memorymoon and Messiah the MemoryMoog and Prophet Vsts, but both at full price.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Due to the Soundtoys PWYW promos I can now upgrade to the full Soundtoys for $255. Kinda tempting, but I have to stop spending money and recover financially from a couple of recent trips.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did Arturia have a sale? I really want their moog thing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

Did Arturia have a sale? I really want their moog thing.

They did for the whole collection, and I think it's still going on. I got it for $199 but I think someone mentioned they found it for $149 somewhere. That may have been a hallucination though.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Trig Discipline posted:

They did for the whole collection, and I think it's still going on. I got it for $199 but I think someone mentioned they found it for $149 somewhere. That may have been a hallucination though.

I had the upgrade offered for 149 but I didn't think it was worth it.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Not really a VST, but Propellerhead's ReCycle is half price at the moment.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I got the email about the collection for 149 and the classics for 69.

I only wanted the MiniMoog so I think i'll jump on the classics even if I already own the Oberheim because I'm still saving 20 bux or whatever.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I jumped on the 149 collection and, uh, it's pretty nice. I'm really happy with the NKS integration but I think that matters to literally one or two other people on the forum. If you like what's in the samples for any given synth on the arturia website I don't think you can go wrong picking them up. They're well coded and sound like they should.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I've always known my room was a sub-optimal recording space, and every time I put a track together I try some different way of tackling the problem. But no matter what I do, my tracks always end up with way too much bottom end (when played anywhere but my room) or not enough.

I tried the JBL MSC1 a couple years ago, and while it was actually quite a nice little monitor controller, its whole reason for existing is its room correction technology which is terrible garbage that doesn't work for most users (most folks can't even complete the room sampling wizard). It's seriously so bad that when you see them on eBay, there's usually a disclaimer saying "please read reviews about this product before bidding. no returns." And I wouldn't even consider trying to resell mine; the buyer would simply think I sold them a broken item.

Well I just picked up the IK Multimedia ARC 2 system, and it's a whole other story. The JBL room correction setup involved a mic, an application, and their monitor controller. The ARC 2 system involves a mic, an application, and a plugin that you strap across the master bus of your DAW. The mic and app are only required for room measurements, and the plugin uses the profiles you create with the measurement app to adjust for room issues.

Here's a screenshot that illustrates a lot of why mixing's always been such a struggle for me.

The orange line is the measured result from my room. The white line is the compensated result. I haven't mixed on it yet, but there's an astounding audible difference when I play anything through it, as you might imagine. I'm hoping to start a new track this weekend, and I'm half considering remixing my most recent project, because it's one of my most ambitious mixes, but the bass just doesn't have any impact when played on anything other than my rig.

Will post a before-and-after if I end up doing the remix. Thumbs-up so far, though.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 8, 2016

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

They're well coded...

I've had all kinds of weird poo poo happen with their plugins. Prophet V randomly defaulting to init patch and de-registering itself being the worst so far.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Is there a good spectrum analyzer plugin that doesn't cost over one hundred earth dollars?

I would be fine with Ableton's Spectrum, except that Ableton appears to be allergic to letting their native plugins pop out into their own windows, so if I want to, say, look at the master bus when I'm tweaking a particular instrument, it's basically impossible.

I looked at IQ, which looks great and has tons of features I could really see myself using, but 130 euro is maybe a little much for me right now.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Voxengo Span is a great one, Computer Music gives out a free version every month.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Oh sweet, I had a sub to them for a while even so I should just download it. Thanks!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Voxengo SPAN is great, the only thing for which I still need Live's native analyzer is when I want to instantly see at which note (as opposed to frequency) I have my peaks. That information is not available in SPAN

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

NonzeroCircle posted:

Voxengo Span is a great one, Computer Music gives out a free version every month.
SPAN has been free to download from Voxengo themselves since forever. No need to take the CM detour.

e:

wayfinder posted:

Voxengo SPAN is great, the only thing for which I still need Live's native analyzer is when I want to instantly see at which note (as opposed to frequency) I have my peaks. That information is not available in SPAN
This is in the $40 SPAN Plus, which also does multi track analysis (I assume through multiple instances of the plugin communicating with each other), which seems really neat.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 8, 2016

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Voxengo's SPAN is great (Voxengo in general is really solid), but my personal favorite spectrum analyzer is Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst. They have three versions: Free, Pro, and Multi.

The thing I like about FreqAnalyst is how quick and easy it is to scale the grid so you can focus on just the frequencies you care about. I also use the dB threshold control a lot, for situations where I'm doing surgical EQ and I want a quick look at the core frequencies of a given part. So I can set it to show me, for example, only frequencies that exceed -40 dB. SPAN does this too; I'm just more experienced with Blue Cat's way of doing things. Both companies have their own unique plugin frameworks which determine the look&feel and common functionality across their product lines.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My only issue with Blue Cat is that they don't give out more freebies!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Just curious, is anyone else here using MPowerSynth?
https://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/product.php?id=MPowerSynth

I've been using this dude's effects plugins for five or six years and just picked up the synth a month ago. Really impressed with how easy it is to set modulation, and the huge effect section.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I bought the Arturia pack to play with the Mini V...

...And I spend all my time with the Jupiter instead. So I guess that's a win then :toot:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
What's the best '303 Emulator' VST? I've been trying to get Massive to do acid and it just isn't right.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been trying to get Massive to do acid and it just isn't right.

It isn't, you should not pressure anybody to do it if they don't feel mentally prepared and have solid grasp of the effects and duration of the experience.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

What's the best '303 Emulator' VST? I've been trying to get Massive to do acid and it just isn't right.

Any explicit 303 emu will be good enough. People wanking over "accuracy" between the different flavors of emu can safely be ignored.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I like Phoscyon but it's a bit spendy.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

i always thought AudioRealism Bassline sounded pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
They all sound fine, especially in a track.