Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
According to Arino's wikipedia page, he was on the commentary track with Edgar Wright for the Blu-Ray release of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. That would be pretty cool to hear, but I doubt it will ever get translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Tatsujin posted:

According to Arino's wikipedia page, he was on the commentary track with Edgar Wright for the Blu-Ray release of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. That would be pretty cool to hear, but I doubt it will ever get translated.

Yeah, iirc he did the commentary together with the Director, who I heard is a GCCX fan.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tatsujin posted:

It was translated on the original BluRay release, so there's no need to translate it.

makere posted:

Yeah, iirc he did the commentary together with the Director, who I heard is a GCCX fan.

Edgar Wright wasn't familiar with Arino, but Brian Lee O'Malley watches Game Center CX and recommended getting Arino to do an interview.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Random Stranger posted:

It was translated on the original BluRay release, so there's no need to translate it.

Edgar Wright wasn't familiar with Arino, but Brian Lee O'Malley watches Game Center CX and recommended getting Arino to do an interview.

As in the original American Blu Ray release? And if it's only on the Japanese version, can I play a Japanese Blu Ray on an American PS4?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nickoten posted:

As in the original American Blu Ray release? And if it's only on the Japanese version, can I play a Japanese Blu Ray on an American PS4?

I'll double-check my copy at home for its region coding. The Blu-ray itself will definitely work (Japan and North America are Region A), but the second disc, which has at least some of the Arino extras, is a regular DVD which may be region-locked (Japan is Region 2, North America is region 1).

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Thanks a lot! :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

I'll double-check my copy at home for its region coding. The Blu-ray itself will definitely work (Japan and North America are Region A), but the second disc, which has at least some of the Arino extras, is a regular DVD which may be region-locked (Japan is Region 2, North America is region 1).

According to the back of the case, it's region ALL. That's written on the disk as well.

And this is only the Japanese Bluray release. The shrinkwrap has a sticker with Arino on it if you need to know if its the right version.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

According to the back of the case, it's region ALL.

A good sign, but cases have a tendency to lie. I have a few retail products that lie in various ways.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I can't seem to find it online so it may not matter. :downs:

I guess that's something to look for next time I or someone I know is in Japan.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Good luck with that -- I looked for it when I visited Japan in 2013 and I couldn't find it. Granted, I didn't have a chance to go to Book Off or other used stores, so I may have just been looking in the wrong places...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

oopsie rock posted:

Good luck with that -- I looked for it when I visited Japan in 2013 and I couldn't find it. Granted, I didn't have a chance to go to Book Off or other used stores, so I may have just been looking in the wrong places...

I had a hard time finding it myself when I was in Japan. I wound up picking it up in some small media store in Shibuya where I had to specifically ask for that version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Even so, aren't there "debug mode" commands for use by the manufacturers you can feed to your BD player through the remote to disable the region lockout?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Even so, aren't there "debug mode" commands for use by the manufacturers you can feed to your BD player through the remote to disable the region lockout?

Those were more of a DVD Player thing, somewhat rarer on the Blu-ray side, plus I think some discs are coded more aggressively for that sort of thing since they can more easily get away with it, as Blu-ray players are expected to be kept somewhat up-to-date in terms of firmware, and possibly connected to the internet.

Anyway, I just tested the Bonus Disc and it works on my NA PS4. Even tested an actual coded Japanese disc (Finding Nemo) to make sure it failed to load and it did fail.

The Blu-ray movie disc itself doesn't have Arino commentary, it's something which is just on the Bonus DVD where the movie is in a tiny window in the corner of the screen while Arino and director Edgar Wright comment. There are Japanese subtitles (only turn on when English is being spoken) and English subtitles (only turn on when Japanese is being spoken), and they can be disabled entirely.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Nickoten posted:

Is this it? Says it has the bonus DVD with Arino.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E...y/dp/B004U4QVJG

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Kakaricho posted:

Is this it? Says it has the bonus DVD with Arino.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E...y/dp/B004U4QVJG

Oh poo poo! That does appear to be it, assuming the description is right. And that seems absurdly cheap for a rare Japanese Blu Ray, too. I think I'll pick it up, good looking out!

Edit: Ordered! Thanks guys. :)

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 14, 2016

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Bit offtopic, does the actual movie bluray include english audio?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

makere posted:

Bit offtopic, does the actual movie bluray include english audio?

Yes, you can watch it in straight English with no subtitles if you want.

Movies which are originally in English, with no exceptions that immediately come to mind, will always have the original audio track with the ability to turn subtitles off on Japanese discs. That said, exceptions in other parts of the world do exist because movie rights can be pants-on-head stupid sometimes. Like, in Canada (well, Quebec), there are two separate DVD releases of Amélie: one which has no subtitles at all and which is an :effort: PAL-to-NTSC transcoding of the French PAL Region 2 DVD, so lazy that some of the features which the Canadian distributor didn't pay for still show up in the DVD menu but highlighting them says "not available" in French, and one which has English and Spanish digital DVD subtitles that you can't turn off and explicitly have extra programming to ensure the subtitles overlap the image and don't show up in the black bar area regardless of your TV settings because the un-subbed picture was a paid-for exclusive. :psyduck:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next game is a "mysterious puzzle game", which isn't much of a mystery since the satellite guide spoiled that it's going to be Olivia's Mystery on the SNES a few weeks ago.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Just because a game is mysterious doesn't mean it is a mystery. :ms:

Oh god, is it actually just a digital jigsaw puzzle?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Next game is a "mysterious puzzle game", which isn't much of a mystery since the satellite guide spoiled that it's going to be Olivia's Mystery on the SNES a few weeks ago.

Oh hey, I was just looking at that game the other day.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Nickoten posted:

Oh poo poo! That does appear to be it, assuming the description is right. And that seems absurdly cheap for a rare Japanese Blu Ray, too. I think I'll pick it up, good looking out!

Edit: Ordered! Thanks guys. :)

You're welcome.
To be honest, all I did was look for the Japanese title. I think I'll see if I can rent it for Arino's segment.

Mister Chief posted:

Oh god, is it actually just a digital jigsaw puzzle?

"Guys, what if we made a .gif into a puzzle? Wait! Hear me out!"

Random Stranger posted:

Oh hey, I was just looking at that game the other day.

Inside job?...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kakaricho posted:

An edited, digest version of the Super Mario Maker Live Challenge was released yesterday, with some unseen footage after the challenge ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqbT1RgE0nE

Oh I might as well bin this other Game Center CX Super Mario Maker video you subtitled, then.

Gah, fine, here.

Game Center CX - Super Mario Maker Player Chapter

Translated by Kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by Hirayuki

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=774832

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks guys.... is Arino flipping me off?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

univbee posted:

Oh I might as well bin this other Game Center CX Super Mario Maker video you subtitled, then.

Well, I'm sure not going to try and finish the script I'm currently working on this weekend then!

Mister Chief posted:

Thanks guys.... is Arino flipping me off?

It's his "Kacho...on!" pose.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oh god, this is "Arino Does Top Mario Maker Levels". Given what I know about the top Mario Maker levels, that doesn't really bode well.

EDIT: Alright, it's not as bad as I thought. There's a lot of crap at the top there, but thankfully there was only two automatic levels.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 15, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

univbee posted:

Translated by Kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by Hirayuki

This makes me happy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TheMcD posted:

Oh god, this is "Arino Does Top Mario Maker Levels". Given what I know about the top Mario Maker levels, that doesn't really bode well.

EDIT: Alright, it's not as bad as I thought. There's a lot of crap at the top there, but thankfully there was only two automatic levels.

I'm sure they were pretty heavily curated by the staff.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

oh boy i can't wait

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Phuzzy posted:

oh boy i can't wait

This is the live special that was broadcasted right?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This is the live special that was broadcasted right?

No, the Youtube special that preceded it.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Phuzzy posted:

oh boy i can't wait

I was more making a joke about the J-List ad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ad? that's a preview

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Phuzzy posted:

I was more making a joke about the J-List ad

Hehe

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

ad? that's a preview

Yeah, interactions with Oosuka get really awkward really fast this episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AD Love Pillow's gameplay just isn't great.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

AD Love Pillow's gameplay just isn't great.

AD Kimiko, from 30 Rock.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the translation! I haven't seen even the RAW of the live special, though, is it being worked on as well? (I mean the Mario Maker one, I know zari-gani said the Vietnam one (?) was in the works.)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks for the translation! I haven't seen even the RAW of the live special, though, is it being worked on as well? (I mean the Mario Maker one, I know zari-gani said the Vietnam one (?) was in the works.)

The RAW is entertaining even if you don't understand Japanese lol.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee posted:

Gah, fine, here.

Translated by Kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by Hirayuki

Incidentally whoever created Game Center CX on TheTVDB, please update it so this episode is there, I need my Plex server to have all the episodes. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'd quite like to see the Mario Maker livestream translated, if only to understand what Arino was saying during my section :shobon: