Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWkcnVpk85o

The Division is an open world RPG set in post-collapse Manhattan where a weaponised virus stuck to money killed nearly everybody. The combat system is very similar to Mass Effect 3; it's a cover based shooter with RPG elements.

The PvE side of the game revolves around taking back New York, discovering the cause of the plague and helping the Joint Task Force (Emergency services and Army remnant) restore order. You'll establish a base of operations and slowly upgrade it by completing missions. Upgrading the BOO will unlock new skills, perks and abilities.

The PvP area is called the Dark Zone. There's plenty of high tier loot available in this area, with an extraction mechanic where you have to take your loot to a certain place and hold out. This allows plenty of opportunities to grief your fellow players and steal their loot before they can extract it. A lot of people are buying the game based on their Dark Zone experiences in Beta!

Release date is 8th March 2016.

Steam Store
Green Man Gaming

ORGANISATION
Steam Group
SA Discord
Google Form & Spreadsheet (Old Spreadsheet)
Camping The Stairs Mumble

All American Hero Equipment:

http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-us/agent-origins/

Instructions:

Redeem this code, "AGENTORIGINS", above to unlock your 4 Free Division Agent Gear Sets inspired by the video series! Each gear set will give your in-game Division Agent a unique look and includes skills that will help you take back New York!

:siren: :siren: :siren: Exceptions: :siren: :siren: :siren:

America and Canada only. If you are unlucky and live off in NZ, OZ, UK, EU or any other corner of the earth, you will need to:

1. VPN to the USA. Many people recommend https://openvpn.net/
2. Make a throw away uPlay account using the VPN. It sets the account location during registration.
3. Go back to the link above, enter AGENTORIGINS and it will give you a standard ABCD-1234-EFGH-5678 type code.
4. Open your uPlay desktop application and activate the code (It's the little gamepad button in the top right next to your friends list button)
5. Be an all American hero!

Thanks to Ajax for the info.

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Some of my friend's are irrationally excited for this game. As a person who really doesn't know poo poo about it this video was kind of cool even if some of it appears to be alpha stuff that may not be exactly representative of the game mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v39AT3d3a2Q

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
If this plays like an open-world version of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier I'd be happy with it. Shooting things in that was pretty darn cool

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
Supposedly the Beta starts for the Xbox on the 28th. Its been suggested that it's the 29th for all other systems.

Not sure what the best way to get into beta is without pre-ordering currently. The Humble Bundle $10 for everything Tom Clancy just ended.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like Ubi has let youtubers release a ton of new videos now.

e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGnUNvnqHoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3T9W2usuzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr8IArHtBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzTx9YfwJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YZ_2HPdQXI

Some super big red flags in that first video... lots of glitches, talk of unsatisfying gunplay, and getting into another Destiny type game sounds horrible. I probably won't be buying this one but I've been very curious about it.

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
Played it at Gamescom Cologne last Summer. Well I got ~15 mins after a ~15 minute video. I couldn't give a crap about the black friday bullcrap they seemed to be pushing as this major story thing. The gameplay felt like less bulky gears of war. As with most games, seems like it could be fun playing with mates, but I'm not sure that solo play will be that fun.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uG7688kNHw

This guy (who I have watched for a while aside from The Division) really liked it and his thoughts have me more stoked on this game than I can remember being stoked about a game in a while. I'm looking forward to this one, day one glitches and all...

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

This looks like Tom Clancy meets Destiny (AKA "Destiny with Murica storyline" aka "Destiny with a story"), and that really appeals to me.

Am I odd?

Is the drop-in-and-out mechanic all over the city? The PvP seems just restricted to the ~*~Dark Zone~*~. The "calling in a helicoper" to evac the dark zone signalling everyone to come and kill you seems like it'd be a blast.

I will admit, the bullet spongy enemies seem out of place in a Tom Clancy game.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Those videos don't look nearly as good as the 2013 E3 Reveal Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE2k3Zi5i5I

Eurogamer have a direct comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY

beer_war fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 15, 2016

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

Furiously posted:

Supposedly the Beta starts for the Xbox on the 28th. Its been suggested that it's the 29th for all other systems.

Not sure what the best way to get into beta is without pre-ordering currently. The Humble Bundle $10 for everything Tom Clancy just ended.

When I signed up with my key I had the option to invite three other friends so that's something to keep an eye out for.

e: nevermind it just sends them a dumb email telling them to register to wait

Amdis fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 15, 2016

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

beer_war posted:

Those videos don't look nearly as good as the 2013 E3 Reveal Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE2k3Zi5i5I

Eurogamer have a direct comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY

They still look pretty amazing if you ask me.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Why?

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Why do I think they still look amazing? Reflections still look great, lots of attention to details as they make their way through the environments, snow, fog, day and night effects all look incredible. I am sure I will never convince you so try watching the youtube videos in 1080p and if you still don't like what you see I don't know what to tell you.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Reflections are objectively less detailed compared to the reveal trailer. General detail - I suppose it's technically possible I've only seen comparatively empty streets in the recent footage, I kinda doubt it though. I'll grant you the weather effects.

Games like Star Wars Battlefront and Witcher 3 look "amazing" and "incredible", this looks adequate for a triple-A 2016 title, nothing more, nothing less.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 17, 2016

aba
Oct 2, 2013
Had anyone else also received an confirmation e-mail from Ubisoft without pre-ordering or asking for beta key?

Ubisoft e-mail posted:

Thank you for ordering on Ubisoft. The product that you preordered is now available.

Order ID: *******
Product ID: *******
Product Name: Tom Clancy's The Division - Closed Beta Key
Release Date: 15 January 2016
Digital Rights: *******

I've used the digital rights code on Uplay (why not, right?) and received another e-mail:

Second Ubisoft e-mail posted:

Hi ****

Thanks to your pre-order you now have guaranteed Beta access.

I usually ignore multiplayer-only games so I haven't done anything to give them any reason to contact me. I've checked my debit card and no one had used (and I do not store payment info anywhere) and after checking everything it looks like it really is for me. Is it :ubisoft: bug? Should I check back with them and tell that they had given me a game for me for free? I'll definitely play it if it stays in my account and maybe I will receive more free games in future :). But it is stealing, right? Unauthorized enrichment or something like that?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
You can actually put your hat in the ring for a free beta key on their website. You aren't getting the whole game, just access to the 2 - 3 day beta they are doing at the end of this month.

I really like the concept of this game and I think it has a place in most peoples libraries. Not for me though as I don't have time to maintain/build online multiplayer relationships to get the most out of it. Hopefully it'll have some legs and last longer than opening week.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Did Ubisoft release any information about what regional servers there will be and, more importantly, if you can transfer your character across server regions?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Reverse Centaur posted:

Some super big red flags in that first video... lots of glitches, talk of unsatisfying gunplay, and getting into another Destiny type game sounds horrible. I probably won't be buying this one but I've been very curious about it.
Ditto, I'll be curious just to see how it finally ends up being. It's a big :siren: with how it's been delayed. According to wikipedia it was announced in 2013.

So it's either going to be Ubisoft's next Creed thing, or fall flat on it's face. Considering the state they've released the Creed games in recently, I'm expecting another flop. But I'm hoping to be proven wrong, and we get Destiny without the poo poo parts.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Remember UbiSoft are only the publishers of this and not the actual developers.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I would bet cash money that part of why this has been so delayed is because considerable time was spent programming the infected people enemies before Ubisoft realised zombies are over.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This game is going to be loving terrible. It's got the borderlands vomiting numbers on your screen poo poo without having the sort of silly setting where that works just fine. It reeks of being yet another grindy game with shitloads of overly complicated but incredibly shallow features. Just watch any of the videos and marvel at how much absolute CRAP is on screen.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Raged posted:

Remember UbiSoft are only the publishers of this and not the actual developers.

Yeah, being developed out of Malmo I think, can't remember the dev.

Open world pvp sounds and looks really cool, the crafting and modding of gear looks cool. Lots of things are looking cool.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

TG-Chrono posted:

Yeah, being developed out of Malmo I think, can't remember the dev.

Open world pvp sounds and looks really cool, the crafting and modding of gear looks cool. Lots of things are looking cool.

All information shows that it's being developed by Ubisoft. Specifically Ubisoft Massive, Red Storm Entertainment(a studio set up by ubisoft for tom clancy ip), Ubisoft Reflections, Ubisoft Annecy.

After what watchdogs ended up being after a massive delay, I'm gonna be wary of this game

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Blister posted:

All information shows that it's being developed by Ubisoft. Specifically Ubisoft Massive, Red Storm Entertainment(a studio set up by ubisoft for tom clancy ip), Ubisoft Reflections, Ubisoft Annecy.

After what watchdogs ended up being after a massive delay, I'm gonna be wary of this game

Ubisoft Massive isn't a proper Ubisoft team. It's the guys who made the old Ground Control/World in Conflict games. They got bought out, and used to make Revelations basically entirely by themselves ( a good AssCreed game, sorry. ).

This is the game they chose to make after Revelations was successful for Ubisoft. It's still LARGELY just Massive though, the other teams are only providing faster asset creation and whatnot. Massive, Red Lynx, Reflections, and Nadeo are all normal sized devs under the Ubisoft label, unlike the city named Ubisoft studios ( Shanghai, Montreal, etc etc ) which largely exist as asset creation studios to speed up development time.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm talking smack but the odds of me not buying a console MMO with half-way solid shooting mechanics and good production values I can mong out and play while listening to a podcast without missing anything are literally zero.

I'm going to buy and play this terrible game.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I kinda like watch dog, but the story was all over the place and it was very obvious that things got swap around, especially at the beginning of the game. i.g: one hacker is suppose to supply you with a super app but you already have it since the beginning.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This game looks nothing like Watch_Dogs. I'll be grabbing it since I think it will scratch that Destiny itch for a while. I know a few Ausgoons who are going to grab it. too.

Also how can you not love being able to gently caress over random pubbie team mates. In dark zones you can kill party members and steal their gear.

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 18, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The dark zone is gonna be non-stop betrayal, everyone will kill everyone forever.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I'm a little interested in this game if only because a lot of the Blops goons will be migrating over but I'm still gonna be waiting for a large amount of independent reviews to land because gently caress Ubisoft.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

A bunch of guys at work who were really into Destiny are chomping at the bit for this. I'm tentatively excited (gently caress Ubi) but will probably end up getting this on PS4. Hopefully I get into the beta and can see for myself whether it's worth getting.

Reverse Centaur posted:

The dark zone is gonna be non-stop betrayal, everyone will kill everyone forever.

If this is actually what it will be I think I'll be really into this. Preferably with goons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah I was really intrigued by this game when it was first announced but I'm gun-shy now. Liked Gears of War and some of the Rainbow Six games fine, not big into Destiny, so I'm not sure where I stand on this atm. I let myself get talked into Assassin's Creed 3 and Watch Dogs and I don't want to do that again, goddamn.

edit: It seems like it would be a great game to play with my friends, but they all got XBox Ones and don't have PCs worth poo poo, while I got a PS4 and a PC, so I guess that's sunk.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 18, 2016

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Lotish posted:

Yeah I was really intrigued by this game when it was first announced but I'm gun-shy now. Liked Gears of War and some of the Rainbow Six games fine, not big into Destiny, so I'm not sure where I stand on this atm. I let myself get talked into Assassin's Creed 3 and Watch Dogs and I don't want to do that again, goddamn.

edit: It seems like it would be a great game to play with my friends, but they all got XBox Ones and don't have PCs worth poo poo, while I got a PS4 and a PC, so I guess that's sunk.

Watch some of the videos of gameplay. It looks like a lot of fun and generally-negative reviewers are coming out of the experience liking it way more than they expected to.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

he1ixx posted:

Watch some of the videos of gameplay. It looks like a lot of fun and generally-negative reviewers are coming out of the experience liking it way more than they expected to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4GxWdA6ZNo
Bullet sponge enemies with 0 AI, fun fun

acidblue
Apr 30, 2005
nerdboy
I'm really looking forward to this piece of garbage. I was hooked on Destiny for a while, and from what I'm seeing, this will have a similar concept. Anyways, just pre-ordered and waiting for my beta key for next weekend.

I'm on PS4 as AcidBlueDoD if anybody wants to organize for the beta.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

he1ixx posted:

Do you have some personal stake in this game? I have seen the opposite.

Like even if it was super polished like it was in E3 2013, instead of butt ugly with lots of glitches, I still have major concerns with the "realism" angle. Playing against regular humans and only regular humans is gonna get really stale, even if they are inexplicably bullet sponges.

Seeing a regular lady get lit up by a flamethrower for 30 seconds and still needing half a dozen shotgun blasts to the face to go down in that jackfrags video is just weird.

I'll give the beta a shot and have the game reserved for $50 Cdn so it doesn't have to impress me much to get me to buy it but I'm still doubtful.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
To me, the giant red flag is they are not commenting about their 'endgame' plans. That is where Destiny fell apart, and what they have shown so far looks like Destiny with more boring enemies and worse shooting.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

They just announced that the Division at launch will only be taking place in the lamest part of NYC

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

mcvey posted:

Bullet sponge enemies with 0 AI, fun fun

was pretty excited about it until I saw this vid, reminds me of plinking away at enemies 10 levels too high in Borderlands

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

I'm a little interested in this game if only because a lot of the Blops goons will be migrating over but I'm still gonna be waiting for a large amount of independent reviews to land because gently caress Ubisoft.

Yeah, I'm a little hesitant on picking this up. Maybe the beta will change my mind, it worked for Black Ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I think there's some conflation where people see cover shooter, they are discounting the RPG part of the mix. I am not an advocate for bullet sponge enemies, but I remember people complaining in KOTOR about how hitting an enemy with a lightsaber didn't kill them. There are certain concessions made to realism for the sake of having an rpg progression system.

• Locked thread