Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

Young Americans had both Luther Vandross and John Lennon as backup singers, and now they're dead.

Under Pressure was a duet with Freddie Mercury, and now he's dead.

Let's Dance had Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar, and now he's dead.

Now Bowie's dead. COINCIDENCE?!? probably.

You left out Bing Crosby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

TheJoker138 posted:

It got kind of heated and I ended up calling him a ghoul and a piece of poo poo.

Good.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I'm glad he came down to meet us, even if it did blow our minds. :unsmith:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
he is a glass spider in space

jah jah jah jah jah

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6c9Ejfu-iU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

Young Americans had both Luther Vandross and John Lennon as backup singers, and now they're dead.

Under Pressure was a duet with Freddie Mercury, and now he's dead.

Let's Dance had Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar, and now he's dead.

Now Bowie's dead. COINCIDENCE?!? probably.

Cartouche posted:

You left out Bing Crosby.

And Klaus Nomi.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

It got kind of heated and I ended up calling him a ghoul and a piece of poo poo.

Does he like 'both kinds of music'?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

To be fair if you're really into vocals it's a little hard to get into Bowie at first because most of his stuff they play on the radio is from before he figured out he had a diaphragm. One of my dream Bowie projects (that I have to give up on...) is studio re-recordings of a lot of his early stuff with his post-2000 voice. If he'd spent the next year just re-recording Man Who Sold the World/Hunky Dory/Ziggy I would've been over the moon.

His live concert recordings are a decent substitute for this. His voice really got more interesting in his later years

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fun bit of trivia I always liked: after Bowie released the album 'Low', Nick Lowe released an EP called 'Bowi'.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

skander posted:

Does he like 'both kinds of music'?

He forwarded me another e-mail from some other guy going "I also don't like Bowie" basically, and I ended up replying that I don't care if he liked Bowie or not, turning another persons death into a way to make a quick buck off a stupid cartoon is something a sociopath would do. Then he said he wouldn't reply to me anymore because I kept calling him names.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I always really liked this one.

I also like Belway Brothers, which probably also about his brother Terry and his schizophrenia like the above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZWn9MB_MTo

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still think Life On Mars? is maybe as close to a perfect song as has ever been written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAo7YeRkJYo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheJoker138 posted:

I still think Life On Mars? is maybe as close to a perfect song as has ever been written.

Same chords as I did it my way, true fact

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDyb_alTkMQ

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

TheJoker138 posted:

See this is something cool about Bowie-- I wouldn't put it in my top 50 Bowie songs and wouldn't miss it if I never heard it again. Like "Saviour Machine" seems like a much better song to me. But it doesn't matter what kind of music tickles you, he's written an incredible song in that style that you'll love.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

sebmojo posted:

Same chords as I did it my way, true fact

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDyb_alTkMQ

well both songs are based on a french song "Comme d'habitude" its not like he stole the song from sinatra or anything

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i hope him and lou reed are doing speedballs in heaven right now

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

TheJoker138 posted:

He forwarded me another e-mail from some other guy going "I also don't like Bowie" basically, and I ended up replying that I don't care if he liked Bowie or not, turning another persons death into a way to make a quick buck off a stupid cartoon is something a sociopath would do. Then he said he wouldn't reply to me anymore because I kept calling him names.

I'd write too, but it's pointless--he's clearly playing to senile pensioners in Sun City. I've reviewed some of his obit work, and it's the sort of tearful tribute sans editorializing one would expect (Liz Taylor, Yogi Berra, etc.) That's what makes this bizarre. It's an ill-timed attempt at humor that isn't even mildly amusing or thought provoking, let alone accurate.

If this was code for how stars ain't what they used to be, even that fails. Knee-jerk iconoclasts and smash-and-grab artists don't borrow from Astaire, duet with Crosby, or name-check Bruegel. Even if Bowie were forgotten tomorrow, he remained relevant and active longer than most of the figures Mr. Benson seems to adore.

tldr: sun-baked hack draws terrible toon, makes deadline, goes home to eat kettle corn and watch A Philadelphia Story.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

I'd write too, but it's pointless--he's clearly playing to senile pensioners in Sun City. I've reviewed some of his obit work, and it's the sort of tearful tribute sans editorializing one would expect (Liz Taylor, Yogi Berra, etc.) That's what makes this bizarre. It's an ill-timed attempt at humor that isn't even mildly amusing or thought provoking, let alone accurate.

If this was code for how stars ain't what they used to be, even that fails. Knee-jerk iconoclasts and smash-and-grab artists don't borrow from Astaire, duet with Crosby, or name-check Bruegel. Even if Bowie were forgotten tomorrow, he remained relevant and active longer than most of the figures Mr. Benson seems to adore.

tldr: sun-baked hack draws terrible toon, makes deadline, goes home to eat kettle corn and watch A Philadelphia Story.

Yeah like...it doesn't even make a point beyond "I don't like thing." That's some real deep fuckin' commentary there.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't care if he liked Bowie or not, turning another persons death into a way to make a quick buck off a stupid cartoon is something a sociopath would do.

Or a cartoonist.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beef Turret posted:

Or a cartoonist.

Is there a difference? The PYF political cartoons thread makes me think the answer is "no."

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I am having a hard time thinking of someone that ranks less than a political cartoonist in either art or popular culture.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I am having a hard time thinking of someone that ranks less than a political cartoonist in either art or popular culture.

Ventriloquists?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'll give a point to vaudeville ventriloquists over some guy who publishes a cartoon that old guys with white hair in their ears glance at and get a chuckle out of AT BEST

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

i'll give a point to vaudeville ventriloquists over some guy who publishes a cartoon that old guys with white hair in their ears glance at and get a chuckle out of AT BEST

Yeah but I mean modern ventriloquists. Like that guy with the dead terrorist puppet.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah but I mean modern ventriloquists. Like that guy with the dead terrorist puppet.

people liked him and he was very successful and I know who you're talking about, so I'd venture to guess that he has more going on for him than a political cartoonists, but this is dumb I'm just still pretty sad over bowie man

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

so I'd venture to guess that he has more going on for him than a political cartoonists

spoiler: he doesn't

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
sorry I offended all the political cartoonists fans

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

People who sing political satire, like Mark Russell. Assuming anyone else in the world does this.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Marv Hushman posted:

People who sing political satire, like Mark Russell. Assuming anyone else in the world does this.

OK i have to google this

edit: lol I didnt even get to the singing, it was him just talking. He looks JUST like what I imagine a political cartoonist does though

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 15, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
people who make those t shirts with "snarky" quotes

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the point is david bowie probably crafted turds in his toilet with more art to them than any of these people. just did a heavy duty Hunky Dory to Outside album swap going for the deep cuts playa

edit the motel is like one one of my all time fave bowie songs man it's crazy good

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 15, 2016

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw-sGFbQu18

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If anyone likes dreamcast games vaguely related to Bowie you can get one free! Maybe. Sometimes they run out of keys.

Saoshyant posted:

The Square Enix store is giving out free copies of Omikron Nomad Soul to honor Bowie. EU link, NA people will have to search the store after being redirected.

e: in the US you apparently have to enter a coupon code:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
david bowie is still deceased

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

while channel surfing this morning I saw Bowie singing a duet with Bing Crosby why did that happen

naem
May 29, 2011

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

david bowie is still deceased

He's gone to the hall of Mandos to bask in the light of Illuvitar before being reborn among the Noldor

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fat Jesus posted:

while channel surfing this morning I saw Bowie singing a duet with Bing Crosby why did that happen

Bowie was looking to normalize his career, so he went on he contact him because he was one of those singers his mother liked. Crosby supposedly had heard of him and if he didn't like him before, he had nothing but nice words to say about him following his appearance on the Christmas special.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Update for one week later: this still sucks and a got just the tiniest bit choked up at "strangers when we meet" on my iPod at work today.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So I see Don Henley died. That's a bummer. Didn't see a thread for him, so I figured this one would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Are we producing enough new old cool people to replace all the dead people yet

• Locked thread