Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

xeons are also often faster + cheaper than the equivalent HEDT chip in SKUs, this kind of thing isn't really new

Even with a heavy dose of salt with whether this is actually going to happen, I just have to wonder how well Broadwell-EP's production is going if Intel thinks it might be confident enough to release a chip specced like this. Literally their highest-clocked x86 part, ever. The number is very coincidental with one-upping AMD's FX-9590 by 100 MHz, even though nobody in their right mind markets processors that way anymore.

Nobody nowadays could be stupid enough to fall for the clock speed advertisement without looking at IPC, performance per watt, etc. first, right?

...Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think if you got a stable 5.1 GHz Xeon you win for clocks, IPC, and power consumption all in one.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

blowfish posted:

Our lab is currently approaching the point where we have to consolidate all XP boxes into an old equipment pool as replacements for mission critical/expensive lab equipment that won't run on anything newer. Our office PCs are just starting to get upgraded to Windows 7 :shepicide:.

Our instruments will only run with the of it came with. If you need parts of a new computer God forbid you get to payout the nose for an identical uni.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Generic Monk posted:

How legit is play-asia? Seems to be the only site offering the 6700k for halfway reasonable prices. Presumably I'll get stuck with a load of import duties, right? (UK)

Unless they misdeclare the value on the box you will (+12 quid gently caress you tax by parcelforce for the service of collecting import duties).

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Nobody nowadays could be stupid enough to fall for the clock speed advertisement without looking at IPC, performance per watt, etc. first, right?

...Right?

FattyNerdsTM, FattyNerdsTM never change.

That said, I wonder if this will basically make overclocking pointless or if it will be possible to overclock broadwell to like 7 GHz

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Our instruments will only run with the of it came with. If you need parts of a new computer God forbid you get to payout the nose for an identical uni.

Are they of the five or more figures expensive kind (Never not knock out a £200000 instrument for a week by crashing the windows 2000 shitbox attached to it)?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Yes! Most are hyphenated instruments. Each letter is a million dkk, the hyphen around 0.5 mill.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Yes! Most are hyphenated instruments. Each letter is a million dkk, the hyphen around 0.5 mill.

lol

Thank god we only have to maintain the moderately expensive outdated stuff and not the super expensive outdated stuff in our own lab, we just pay an hourly rate to the university imaging centre for electron microscopy or go annoy some chemists to let us use their GC-MS and stuff. I will never stop cracking up about how the ~custom computers~ that cost tens of thousands of pounds to replace driving each of these are blatantly just HP shitboxes with an added PCI card to interface with the instrument.

I think the most advanced SEM in the world that isn't some custom built monstrosity (as of mid 2014 when it finally got bought to replace the win2000 driven piece of crap) runs on XP by the way.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 17, 2016

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

lol

Thank god we only have to maintain the moderately expensive outdated stuff and not the super expensive outdated stuff in our own lab, we just pay an hourly rate to the university imaging centre for electron microscopy or go annoy some chemists to let us use their GC-MS and stuff. I will never stop cracking up about how the ~custom computers~ that cost tens of thousands of pounds to replace driving each of these are blatantly just HP shitboxes with an added PCI card to interface with the instrument.

I think the most advanced SEM in the world that isn't some custom built monstrosity (as of mid 2014 when it finally got bought to replace the win2000 driven piece of crap) runs on XP by the way.

Chances are the reason it runs on XP is that is the last OS that whatever custom PCI hardware cards they use don't work under Vista/7/8/10, and the source code to the hardware driver is long gone, so it's XP or nothing. Unless you can use very expensive software wrappers around it to fool it into working with a new OS. The company I work for sells similar equipment, and in many cases we're in the same boat. One system uses a custom PCI card that has drivers written for it in the Windows NT era.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
Speaking of maintaining old systems in the face of progress, is it true that new Skylake processors reserve a significantly larger chuck of memory for hardware for 32-bit OS's than the predecessors from Intel? In a 32-bit OS environment (Windows 7/Windows 10) I'm used to seeing 3.4 Gb available out of 4. But on our new Skylake-CPU test systems w/32 bit Windows from Dell (64-bit OS is a no go due to legacy hardware drivers) it's only able to utilize 2 Gb out of 4.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

jumba posted:

Speaking of maintaining old systems in the face of progress, is it true that new Skylake processors reserve a significantly larger chuck of memory for hardware for 32-bit OS's than the predecessors from Intel? In a 32-bit OS environment (Windows 7/Windows 10) I'm used to seeing 3.4 Gb available out of 4. But on our new Skylake-CPU test systems w/32 bit Windows from Dell (64-bit OS is a no go due to legacy hardware drivers) it's only able to utilize 2 Gb out of 4.

How much memory does your video card have?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

blowfish posted:

That said, I wonder if this will basically make overclocking pointless or if it will be possible to overclock broadwell to like 7 GHz

Assuming that it's only going to be a Xeon part and that what's been said about its specs is accurate (it's half of an 8-core, but the TDP is over 160W), it's likely that this is just Intel catering to niche professional users willing to pay a lot of money for what amounts to a factory overclocked part. It'll have been binned for and validated at that speed, so not actually overclocked, but it might be a case where Intel chose to relax requirements in ways that allow the silicon to be pushed harder (allow higher voltages, reduce max die junction temperature, etc). Stuff they would not do in a SKU destined for an ordinary server or desktop, but which is OK in the context of customers willing to pay quite a lot to get a fully validated extra GHz.

This wouldn't be the first time they've done it either. Last time I heard about a similar Intel CPU, it was leaked info about a semi-private-label (did not appear on ark.intel.com) over-4GHz Xeon several years ago -- at a time when, IIRC, all the rest were well under 4 GHz. It was thought to be targeted at the high frequency trading market, which made sense as they're big-budget customers willing to pay a lot to cut a few more microseconds of latency off their trading decisions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jumba posted:

Sounds like you aren't enabling PAE on the new systems maybe.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Windows client doesn't do PAE on 32-bit anymore. Hasn't since XP SP2. 32-bit Server does, and PAE is a literal requirement to enter 64-bit long mode, so that one is a given.

There's a highly unofficial kernel patch for Windows 7 to enable PAE but ymmv on using unofficial kernel patches in a production environment.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Have windows clients ever done PAE?
As far as i know that was a Server 2k3 thing but XP was always limited to ~3-3.5 gb in 32 bit.

E: maybe try the enable 3gb switch?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On the Windows 10 for Skylake on front, I know the update of Windows 10 is still a bit slow since it and even 8.1 are still relatively new OS'es compared to the XP/7 days, but why would anyone really want to build a brand spanking new system with the latest hardware, and then run an out of date OS on it? Outside of the usual people that can't get used to a new start menu (Windows 8 really wasn't that bad and flowed well once you got used to it, then 8.1 made it a bit more mouse friendly, while destroying the consistency of the "new" interface), you do also get the latest optimizations and abilities to work with the latest hardware in the best way possible. I know for a fact my old now 3930K ran a lot better in Windows 8 then it did in Windows 7 because 8+ was able to identify the difference between a physical and virtual core which Win7 could not. This not only was good for the Intel Hyper threaded group, but also especially for those that got burned by AMD Bulldozer with their Core "Modules' in the design of that 8 sort of core chip. It gave them at least a 10% boost which was better than nothing.

You can always virtualize an older OS if you need to for whatever reason outside of the hardware for research stuff you guys mention. Hell I knew of labs that run on DOS/W3.1 stuff because of the old school timing of the hardware that can't be emulated or run on newer hardware since the drivers were written to connect to the devise directly. Keeping that kind of crap working has to be tough when someone forgets to dust it off one every 3 years or so. But for mainstream PC users, Windows 10 will be the OS going into the future like it or not.

I do just wish we had better control over updates still, at least for drivers, but outside of that 10 seems to be reasonably good on everything else I have ran it on so far.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

How much memory does your video card have?

It's not using a video card, but rather the built in video chip. The previous Dell's we used (Haswell, Ivy Bridge processors) also used the same setup (32 bit OS, built in video) with 4 Gb total memory and the system was still able to utilize 3.4 Gb of memory overall, rather than the 2 Gb I am seeing now with a Skylake processor. It could be that it's an issue specific to Dell, I was just curious if anyone else was running a 32-bit OS with Skylake and what kind of memory utilization they were seeing.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

jumba posted:

Chances are the reason it runs on XP is that is the last OS that whatever custom PCI hardware cards they use don't work under Vista/7/8/10, and the source code to the hardware driver is long gone, so it's XP or nothing. Unless you can use very expensive software wrappers around it to fool it into working with a new OS. The company I work for sells similar equipment, and in many cases we're in the same boat. One system uses a custom PCI card that has drivers written for it in the Windows NT era.

I once spent a fun month first getting the toolkit used for our custom PCI card driver to compile at all using our current compiler + current winSDK, then porting it to x64, and then porting the driver as well. The company that originally made the toolkit went under 10+ years ago. I completely understand not wanting to do that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

... but why would anyone really want to build a brand spanking new system with the latest hardware, and then run an out of date OS on it?

Paranoia.

Windows 10 telemetry is no more than any previous Windows beta but some idiots making things up to scare people blew any sense of rationality out of the water. Not to mention that these "privacy conscious" people are too daft to hit the "customize settings" button and just blindly smack Express Settings, which is a "do everything that Microsoft recommends" option.

But no, it's an OS problem. Users are innocent. Microsoft is the devil. We are all forced to use Windows 98 and IE4. It is the era of toastytech and AMD CPUs. Dehumanize yourself and face to Bill.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

isn't 8.1 actually more invasive than 10 in the telemetry since it doesn't have explicit and stringent exclusions that windows 10's has

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 18, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't 8.1 actually more invasive than 10 in the telemetry since it doesn't have explicit and stringent exclusions that windows 10's has

I don't know if it came that way, but I DO know that the telemetry stuff from 10 got backported to 7 and 8.1, that even vigilance won't help you because of Microsoft's habit of reissuing KB updates (like GWX), and that they have no fine control like they have in 10.

So effectively probably yes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, there's a lot more opt-out available in 10, and explicit statements on what's collected. You can straight up turn telemetry off in Enterprise with a GPO.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
So driver support on an entirely new OS is 100% perfect? There's no legitimate reason to prefer a software stack that's been proven to work with whatever goofy devices are floating around a particular lab or office, paranoia about telemetry is the only possible reason to avoid that upgrade.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JawnV6 posted:

So driver support on an entirely new OS is 100% perfect? There's no legitimate reason to prefer a software stack that's been proven to work with whatever goofy devices are floating around a particular lab or office, paranoia about telemetry is the only possible reason to avoid that upgrade.

I mean it's more similar to W7 than W7 is to XP, so it's not entirely new.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

In my experience it's rock solid. This isn't the XP->Vista era anymore; we're not dealing with a majorly changed driver model and framework being tripped up on old code (though it is closer internally to Windows 8.1 than Windows 7, or 8 for that matter -- 8.1 introduced a new user-mode driver framework that is designed for moving kernel-mode drivers out of kernel space).

Yes, if you're running sketchy bespoke unsigned drivers with crap code quality in test mode and it barely holds together on Windows 7 then there's no guarantee it's going to work on Windows 10. But in that case it's probably a miracle it works on Windows 7.

I've honestly had better performance in Windows 10 than I had in Windows 7. Better network throughput, lower temperatures and more idle time, and all my software still works.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Kazinsal posted:

But in that case it's probably a miracle it works on Windows 7.

My chest is heaves with sorrow that your workflows are so bereft of miracles.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exactly, Windows 7 Was great. A Big Step up from XP and Vista, (Even Vista was good coming from XP as long as you ran it on >1G RAM) but 8. 8.1 and 10 all run and work even better than 7 on newer hardware.

One thing I am still a bit stick on with Windows 10 though, is even though they say it has lower requirements than say 8.1, I feel that the new graphics model they did for the OS interface runs like poo poo on some older hardware where 8/8.1's was quick and fast on pretty much anything.

I understand the new GPU accelerated model is a much more modular design going forward, but the little bit (and sometimes bigger bit) of lag you get when you click the windows key and start typing to just find something local on the system can be a bit of a pain in the rear end sometimes when it hiccups and you have to wait for whatever Cortana system it's hanging on to catch up.

It's much less apparent on newer/faster hardware, but on old laptops and such that I have tinkered with it on, it runs better in parts, and worse in others, my guess, due to the caching and other connected stuff it is offering.

The only other thing I dislike is the forced drivers on really old hardware. The 2005 Toshiba I have does not like any newer synaptic touchpad driver but it insist it needs to install the latest one which breaks the side touch scrolling. :argh:

Still haven't found a solid way to disable that from happening yet. All the GPO editing seems to do diddly squat.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

The only other thing I dislike is the forced drivers on really old hardware. The 2005 Toshiba I have does not like any newer synaptic touchpad driver but it insist it needs to install the latest one which breaks the side touch scrolling. :argh:

This is Windows trying to outdo OSX and failing because the Windows ecosystem is full of lovely outdated drivers on special snowflake hardware.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to force Windows 10 to use the Start Screen and, on Winkey + S, bring up that nifty sidebar instead of the Start Menu?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is there a way to force Windows 10 to use the Start Screen and, on Winkey + S, bring up that nifty sidebar instead of the Start Menu?

You can full-screen the Start menu in PC Settings > Personalization > Start with the "Use Start full screen" toggle (fifth from top).

The Charms bar is gone.

We have a Windows 10 thread, and it's mostly good-faith.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You can full-screen the Start menu in PC Settings > Personalization > Start with the "Use Start full screen" toggle (fifth from top).

The Charms bar is gone.

We have a Windows 10 thread, and it's mostly good-faith.

Aww. I really liked that it came up on that command. I basically never use the start screen/menu these days.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Kazinsal posted:

Windows client doesn't do PAE on 32-bit anymore. Hasn't since XP SP2. 32-bit Server does, and PAE is a literal requirement to enter 64-bit long mode, so that one is a given.

There's a highly unofficial kernel patch for Windows 7 to enable PAE but ymmv on using unofficial kernel patches in a production environment.

That's really surprising that PAE isn't used on 32-bit because Windows 8.1 or 10 32-bit will throw an error if you try to install them on processors without PAE. I tried with a Pentium M 725 and had to upgrade to a 760 or some such to get PAE support so I could upgrade from XP.

...at least, I think it was PAE. Ark says that both models only have 32-bit PAE support but I feel like there was some obscure detail like the 725 not even advertising support for the extensions where the 760 did or something like that. A bit of Googling indicates that it could also have been NX or SSE2 though.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 19, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's where I get a little confused myself, because PAE is a requirement for NX. The NX bit is the uppermost bit of a page entry in PAE page tables.

So, technically NX on 32-bit Windows uses PAE, but the extra physical address space isn't.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
As a product segmenting sort of thing, even though "non server" 32 bit versions of Windows for a long time have been able to use PAE, they've not been able to use PAE to get beyond a 4 GB limit. If you use PAE on some of the matching 32 bit Server versions, you can usually use more RAM - for instance:
Windows XP 32 bit: 4 GB
Windows XP 64 bit: 128 GB
Windows Server 2003 Standard 32 bit: 4 GB
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise or Datacenter 32 bit: 64 GB
Windows Server 2003 SP1 Enterprise or Datacenter 64 bit: 1 TB (there is no 64 bit Server 2003 before SP1)

Let's look at the Windows Vista generation (because that's the last time Windows Server has 32 bit):
Windows Vista (except Starter) 32 bit: 4 GB
Windows Vista Home Basic/Home Premium 64 bit: 8/16 GB
Windows Vista Ultimate/Enterprise/Business 64 bit: 128 GB
Windows Server 2008 Standard 32 bit: 4 GB
Windows Server 2008 Datacenter or Enterprise 32 bit: 64 GB
Windows Server 2008 Standard 64 bit: 32 GB
Windows Server 2008 Datacenter or Enterprise 64 bit: 1 TB

Here's the Microsoft page that lists all the official limits: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li..._server_2003_r2

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Now do VGA

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Googled "application for monitoring CPU speed, temperature, fan speed" and downloaded HW Monitor from CPUID.

It shows CPU fan at 100%, around 2000 RPM, when the cpu is more or less idle idle in Windows 10. That seems excessive.

Core temperatures are at 35, 40, 30, 30 celsius. This is an i5 2500K.

Thoughts? I'd like to reduce the fan speed/noise.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 20, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno if this changed since the C2 days, but I had to enable automatic fan control in the BIOS, otherwise it'd run at 100% all the time. Asus used to call it QFan or something, could be different in your case anyway.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Some motherboards have a CPU cooler header which is meant for a water pump and not a fan. Possible you are plugged into one of those by chance?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

slidebite posted:

Some motherboards have a CPU cooler header which is meant for a water pump and not a fan. Possible you are plugged into one of those by chance?

never heard of a waterpump header, I know 3pin case fan headers are fairly common, but they usually don't provide enough current for a pump and have a warning not to draw too much.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ika posted:

never heard of a waterpump header, I know 3pin case fan headers are fairly common, but they usually don't provide enough current for a pump and have a warning not to draw too much.

I would imagine they would basically be the same, except one CAN draw more current, but if a fan is plugged into it should work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ika posted:

My Asus Z170-A has a water pump header, but I think it is meant for AIO coolers and not open loop.