Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Guavanaut posted:

But if they had chosen a more representative headline to summarize his argument rather than picking the one that made him look the worst, then you might not have come away with such a poor impression as an immediate thought after reading just the headline.

What would that have been, out of curiosity?

Because the widespread reporting was Cobryn quoted as saying: "I'm not happy with a shoot-to-kill policy". In the immediate aftermath of a massacre where terrorists gunned down a crowd of civilians. By saying that, Corbyn gave the press all the ammunition they needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well he did say it in an internal meeting iirc so uh

e. that quote was likely one of the main reasons for the shadow cabinet reshuffle, is what i'm saying

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
How are the projections for London mayor/assembly, Cymraeg and Scotch elections looking for Corbae? I'm telling everyone I know to vote 1) Galloway 2) Sadiq for mayor.

How's Galloway actually doing? The press are all saying Galloway's a joke who can't win, but Red Ken won an independent mayoral bid and you can't believe anything they say since the GE and Corbyn's victory.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 20, 2016

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

This doesn't mean anything unless they also do a poll asking what Labour's chances would be without Corbyn.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Galloway is a joke. Even without the media portraying him as such, he's a joke.

e: I actually quite like him, but he's still a joke.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Saurus posted:

How are the projections for London mayor/assembly, Cymraeg and Scotch elections looking for Corbae? I'm telling everyone I know to vote 1) Galloway 2) Sadiq for mayor.

How's Galloway actually doing? The press are all saying Galloway's a joke who can't win, but Red Ken won an independent mayoral bid and you can't believe anything they say since the GE and Corbyn's victory.

Wait, Galloway as in George? Why are you advising people to vote for that loving weasel?

He's basically a lefty Danczuk.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, Galloway as in George? Why are you advising people to vote for that loving weasel?

He's basically a lefty Danczuk.

Thanks for answering for me.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Fans posted:

We'll see in May how hosed Corbyn is, though I imagine the answer will be "Oh poo poo he did well, how do we explain that he didn't really?" like Oldham.

He's only just finished having to fight over staying in the position he got without being ousted and is now busy trying to make the Labour Party not poo poo and appears to actually be succeeding at it. He 's even got his Shadow Cabinet to stop briefing against him, which is a nice start to the year.

nah they'll make a big deal of scotland and blame that on corbyn, despite the fact that labour have been hosed here for a long time before we was elected national leader

Flectarn posted:

remember when you reported someone for making fun of you lmao.

please link to this, it sounds incredibly funny

e:

The Saurus posted:

How are the projections for London mayor/assembly, Cymraeg and Scotch elections looking for Corbae?

they could potentially lose all their constituency seats, which won't be as big a problem as last time since they're being sensible and putting important people on the list as well to make sure that they get elected. the Tories probably will hold onto one of their three and could potentially gain Eastwood from Labour depending on whether the SNP bounce a huge amount, the Lib Dems might lose one of Orkney and Shetland, but they're very odd seats so who knows. the greens are up, they seem to be targetting getting a list MSP in every region plus two in Glasgow and they're actually quite close to that - they're regularly poling ahead of the Lib Dems as well. It'd take a huge shift in opinion for the result to be anything other than an increased SNP majority

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 20, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

V. Illych L. posted:

e. that quote was likely one of the main reasons for the shadow cabinet reshuffle, is what i'm saying

that particular incident struck me as yet another of those it's-not-inconsistent-with-the-80s moments, where Corbyn is only wildly out of step with the wider mood because the terrorists are no longer bombing for a cause that is respectable amongst the British elite

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ronya posted:

that particular incident struck me as yet another of those it's-not-inconsistent-with-the-80s moments, where Corbyn is only wildly out of step with the wider mood because the terrorists are no longer bombing for a cause that is respectable amongst the British elite

oh yeah absolutely

i actually think eighties' ideology is 'in' in a lot of ways, though. it certainly has answers to many questions that are difficult for contemporary ideological apparates, and i reckon it's why he became popular to begin with

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

V. Illych L. posted:

He said it during a televised interview on the BBC, two days after the Paris attacks: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34832023

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Shoot to kill is a hosed up policy, and I'm glad Corbyn opposes it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

IceAgeComing posted:

nah they'll make a big deal of scotland and blame that on corbyn, despite the fact that labour have been hosed here for a long time before we was elected national leader
Nobody would blame Corbyn for Labour getting a shellacking in Scotland unless the party polled below the Tories. The sort of minimum acceptable performance in the May elections would be winning the London mayoralty (which should be very comfortable given that the party won ~60% of London's constituencies in the GE under Miliband), retaining the not-quite majority in the Welsh Assembly (Labour currently holds 30 out of 60 seats), and picking up a couple of hundred seats in the local elections. That would basically correspond to the retention of Miliband's vote.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i very much doubt that the labour right is going to accept that. it's going to be reported as "labour drubbing in scotland" or what have you

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

V. Illych L. posted:

oh yeah absolutely

i actually think eighties' ideology is 'in' in a lot of ways, though. it certainly has answers to many questions that are difficult for contemporary ideological apparates, and i reckon it's why he became popular to begin with

maybe. I think it runs aground attempting to maintain the leftier achievements of neoliberalism - the individualist civil-rights discourse, diversity and representation and due-process commitments, effectiveness assessments in public policy, etc. These are not intrinsically conflicting goals, but it's matter of what one prioritizes.

Irish Republicans were a lot of things, but they didn't get smacked on the face with questions about their attitude to Irish women and homosexuals every time they poked their head over the parapet (Sinn Fein, in its time, did oppose abortion, but this did not cause endless angst).

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Labour should use this as Corbyn's election song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ronya posted:

maybe. I think it runs aground attempting to maintain the leftier achievements of neoliberalism - the individualist civil-rights discourse, diversity and representation and due-process commitments, effectiveness assessments in public policy, etc. These are not intrinsically conflicting goals, but it's matter of what one prioritizes.

Irish Republicans were a lot of things, but they didn't get smacked on the face with questions about their attitude to Irish women and homosexuals every time they poked their head over the parapet (Sinn Fein, in its time, did oppose abortion, but this did not cause endless angst).

corbyn's problem is by no means his attitude to women and homosexuals, though

i mean, people try to make a fuss about his 'women problems', but their hearts are really not in it

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Labour only needs to win a majority in the Welsh parliament and the London Assembly (they only need to win 1 extra seat for each), hold steady to their GE % in Scotland and take a few big councils to make life really difficult for the tories. That's providing they get behind Corbyn.

That's all he needs to point to sustained recovery though, not that it'll get the Blaires off his back but no chance of kicking him out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

As I see it the ScotNat independence movement must be a nationalist movement because the character of unequal treatment of Scotland is predicated on it being Scotland, if you follow me. The resistance is characterised by what it is resisting. Scotland is treated like poo poo as Scotland. So it's real easy to get people to rally around and identify with national identity when they feel like they are treated like poo poo on account of the historical accident of having been born in a given nation, and that therefore that economic and political repression is bound up with their cultural identity, language, customs, whatever. Sometimes (almost always?) national identity is just garbage exploited by shitbag politicians, sometimes national culture, or language, or whatever are repressed by a central government.

Nationalism is absolutely trash that belongs in the bin, but it's possibly a lesser evil than national repression.

I'd agree that nationalism can be used as a rallying tool for a just cause, but unless you're Gandhi I'm not sure it's generally used that way.

I also guess the crux of my argument is entirely that Scotland is not being culturally or nationally repressed, it's being economically repressed in exactly the same way that everyone else in the country who isn't a rich tory oval office is being repressed.

E: Also good morning UKMT.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

V. Illych L. posted:

corbyn's problem is by no means his attitude to women and homosexuals, though

i mean, people try to make a fuss about his 'women problems', but their hearts are really not in it

yup. On the other hand, he's undeniably playing by the new rules rather than the old, c.f. his cabinet, even if it costs him in terms of cabinet appointments. So there's not much to complain about.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I accidentally got up an hour early. Now what the gently caress am i supposed to do.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It's funny how much everyone agrees on nationalising the railways and limiting directors' bonuses, and on the Tories being a bunch of grasping toadies, and yet think Cameron is a good Prime Minister and Corbyn would be an awful one.

The power of the media, getting you to vote against your own interests even as you are aware it's happening.

These aren't election-deciding issues, unfortunately!

For Labour to win in 2020, they will need clear, simple and attractive positions on 3 issues: the economy, housing and immigration. They have to be able to convince the electorate that they're sound on the economy, that they can mitigate the housing crisis and that they'll do something about immigration. This will require policies that can be reduced down to a few easily understandable sentences and repeated endlessly in news soundbites for at least a year before the general election.

I've seen a few posters in the thread pointing out that most people just don't take that much interest in politics and boy is that true. On the subject of party policies, Peter Mandelson said: "When you're saying it for the 100th time, they're hearing it for the 1st time". Key policy soundbites have to be repeated over and over: in interviews, on the radio, in newspaper headlines etc until people unconsciously internalise them and associate them with Labour without even thinkīng about it. In the 2015 election, the Conservatives were extremely good at doing this, concentrating on the economy and pushing the same few simple lines utterly relentlessly. Labour, by comparison, were poo poo, wobbling all over the place, with Ed Miliband giving long, thoughtful speeches whose content was reasonable enough but too complicated to be absorbed by the public in the same way that: "Long term economic plan" was.

Yes these 3 policy areas are difficult but they're also the ones that the public happen to care about.

1) The economy. Labour's failure to convince on this pretty much lost them 2015 by itself. Labour really was unforgivably weak on this after 2010, awkwardly avoiding the subject of the 2008 crash and allowing the Conservatives to establish the counter-narrative that Labour caused the crash by spending too much on poor people. The same will happen in 2020 unless they really get their act together.

2) Housing. Come on, how hard can this be. Build 3 million new council houses, tax landlords into oblivion, job done.

3) Immigration. Another bastard hard one for Labour. Labour thinks that immigration is generally a good thing, while being well aware that the vast majority of the population does not agree. In the last few years they've sometimes weakly defended it, sometimes unconvincingly tried to sound tough on it and most of the time tried to pretend it isn't an issue. I haven't a clue how they'll solve this one, nevertheless, solve it they must!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oberleutnant posted:

I accidentally got up an hour early. Now what the gently caress am i supposed to do.

Have a wank and a nap

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I can't go back to sleep or I'll feel like hot trash when I wake up.

Don't think I'll be tugging myself off either tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Get a proper breakfast, I assume you don't normally get one.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I make a point of finding time to eat a couple slices of toast and drink a cup of coffee, but mornings are not good for me.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Go for a swim

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Oberleutnant posted:

Couch to 5k

let me tell you about the jogging I do :smuggo:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

go gently caress yourself

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

The Saurus posted:

Thanks for answering for me.
Galloway is not a "lefty" by any stretch of the imagination. He supported Saddam. He supported Assad. He supports Hezbollah. He supports Iran. His behaviour accusing Naz Shah of lying about her experience of rape, forced marriage and child abuse was disgusting and designed to appeal to the very worst of the British Muslim community. His post-loss accusation that "Zionists" had conspired to lose him the election and a "New York-Tel Aviv axis" was working against him were the ravings of a bigoted madman.

He's a rape apologist and a conspiracy theorist who's second-tier left-wing views take a very clear back seat to a policy of hating women and Jews and stirring up the Islamic far right. He isn't a leftist, and he isn't someone anyone should want associated with the left.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Couch to 5k

let me tell you about the jogging I do :smuggo:

I used to be a fairly decent long distance runner. But i blew both my achilles tendons in training for a 10k about 3 years ago and they never really healed properly, so that was that... :geno:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Oberleutnant posted:

I used to be a fairly decent long distance runner. But i blew both my achilles tendons in training for a 10k about 3 years ago and they never really healed properly, so that was that... :geno:

Sounds like quittin' talk to me!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Galloway is not a "lefty" by any stretch of the imagination. He supported Saddam. He supported Assad. He supports Hezbollah. He supports Iran. His behaviour accusing Naz Shah of lying about her experience of rape, forced marriage and child abuse was disgusting and designed to appeal to the very worst of the British Muslim community. His post-loss accusation that "Zionists" had conspired to lose him the election and a "New York-Tel Aviv axis" was working against him were the ravings of a bigoted madman.

He's a rape apologist and a conspiracy theorist who's second-tier left-wing views take a very clear back seat to a policy of hating women and Jews and stirring up the Islamic far right. He isn't a leftist, and he isn't someone anyone should want associated with the left.

This is a good post, but given the saurus's posting history, sadly wasted I think.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Coohoolin posted:

The 1707 treaty of union between Scotland and England created the United Kingdom and had a whole bunch of rules, like don't tax people in Scotland differently than in England (technically the poll tax wasn't allowed) and the principle Scotland and England being equal members of a union.

A few pages back but this rule hasn't applied since the late 90s with the introduction of the Scottish Variable Rate. It'll be interesting to see what happens if it's actually used following the implementation of the latest round of devolved powers.

Also, never vote for George Galloway. Even if it's to get him out of the Big Brother house.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Pistol_Pete posted:

3) Immigration. Another bastard hard one for Labour. Labour thinks that immigration is generally a good thing, while being well aware that the vast majority of the population does not agree. In the last few years they've sometimes weakly defended it, sometimes unconvincingly tried to sound tough on it and most of the time tried to pretend it isn't an issue. I haven't a clue how they'll solve this one, nevertheless, solve it they must!

I wonder if the EU referendum might be helpful here. Immigration is going to be the central issue. Obviously if we vote to leave then the issue goes away somewhat and UKIP loses its main reason for existing. If we vote to stay then that still might diffuse the issue a bit (and damage UKIP). Immigration perhaps more than any other issue is one where the public feels mainstream politicians are out of touch and don't listen to them. Having it decided in a high profile referendum might take away some of that resentment over being ignored. Labour politicians will be able to state that the british public decided to remain in the eu as a response to a lot of immigration questions.

I'm probably being overly optimistic.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Leaving the EU wouldn't make a difference because despite the whining about Polish builders, it isn't EU economic migrants most people are bigoted towards. Most of the anger is aimed at black or south Asian immigrants and their children, or worse, the dreaded asylum seekers.

The recent shift from "there's not enough jobs" to "they're after our women values" is just the mask slipping off what was always there to begin with. It's not about the economy, it's about brown faces and funny beards, and always has been.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

Britain is facing pressure to investigate at least four incidents in which the RAF may have killed civilians in Iraq last month.

Although the Government maintains there have been no civilian casualties as a result of its bombing campaign in Iraq and Syria, a leading monitoring group, Airwars, said on Tuesday night that RAF air strikes in the Isil-held cities of Mosul and Ramadi may have killed 32 civilians in December alone.

The best documented incident, one of eight detailed in a letter sent by Airwars to the defence ministry earlier this month, took place in Mosul on December 21, killing at least 12 civilians in a residential area used by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) militants.
Well that didn't take long.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ian-deaths.html

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Did any one see the programme last night on the alleged manchester serial killer? If there was ever an argument for better quality cctv on the canals it has to be that. So frustrating looking at these blurry images. Also manchester is depressing as gently caress.

For people that missed it. 85 bodies were found in the canal in the last 7 years. Most where explained as drunk people. But lots of them are unexplained and happened under weird circumstances.

The police don't reckon there is a link but it's incredibly hard too prove either way. The "conspiracy theory" is that the murderer follows drunk people alone after they have been clubbing and pushes them in the canal leaving no real evidence an assault.

The creepiest death was this kid who was on the mobile to his parents at 2 am but completely silent. Then the last they hear was him screaming.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 20, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

That's Iraq, not Syria. Action against ISIS in Iraq has been going on for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

That's Iraq, not Syria. Action against ISIS in Iraq has been going on for a while.

Oh so we're only avoiding killing syrian civilians

• Locked thread