Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

nerdz posted:

I suppose tchort has something to do with it, being that he apparently can survive on the surface. The same experiments that created him could have something to do with it, according to all the experiment logs and poo poo like mindshrooms and other mushrooms being all over the place.

The Underrail is basically the existing subway system with a bit more work done after the surface was wiped out, I think.

But why would all that hollow earth crap exist before the surface got wiped out? That's where they created the mutagen, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Do they even have a date for the cataclysm, how long have people been living like that? Could be that first they discovered the caverns, then they messed up with stuff that they shouldn't, then everything went to hell. We also don't know much about the other misterious factions like the faceless, if they predate the extinction events or not.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
My interpretation was that there was first a cataclysm that wiped the surface out, then the survivors built a fairly sophisticated civilization underground which wiped itself out with the y'know. So the faceless are one group of survivors from the first cataclysm and the people in upper/lower underrail are another group.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 12, 2016

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

The Underrail is basically the existing subway system with a bit more work done after the surface was wiped out, I think.
See I was wondering whether it was civilian infrastructure or some giant sprawling black site/lab complex like Black Mesa. Does someone actually weigh in and say it was a regular city network?

Also, is Biocorp pre-cataclysm? I've only just unlocked Core City and TNT and all that poo poo, so I've got a ways to go, but the name kinda strikes me as odd. Doesn't seem like there'd be much room for things like organically formed corporations in our little subterranean ninja turtles hellscape.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Man the deep caverns have killed my desire to finish Underrail. I think they challenge VtM:Bloodlines for "terrible RPG final level that completely misses what was fun about the rest of the game".

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Agnostalgia posted:

Man the deep caverns have killed my desire to finish Underrail. I think they challenge VtM:Bloodlines for "terrible RPG final level that completely misses what was fun about the rest of the game".

Yep! I'm very curious to see if Styg backtracks and turns DC into something fun or if he stands by it. Every second thread on steam community is about how about the end game is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Group combat with friendlies is stupid as poo poo. Oh yeah I'll just march into your field of molotov flames and get hurt and turn against you.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
You basically can't use electrokinesis if there're any friendlies in the room, it will always take the perfect series of jumps to hit them.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I'm a bit of a lore junkie, here is something that you can find that hints at the state of the world: "Biocorp ran numerous research and infrastructure projects in constant effort to improve Underrail, while at the same time pursing increasingly isolationist attitude towards the outside world. The dangers of the world were deemed too great and the final goals was to make Underrail an environment that is completely self-sustained."

I'd say Biocorp and the Underrail precede whatever surface cataclysm took place. I haven't seen everything in the game, but it seems possible that the surface is fine and the Underrail was cut off from surface access due to Biocorp shenanigans. Of course, if things stay as vague as they seem, you could basically write in any possibility. The history of Biocorp is also a little tricky to get a handle on because there are actually two different Biocorps, the original powerful organization that collapsed centuries ago and the much lesser organization that took its name relatively recently.

Also you can find out about the origins of the Faceless, not to mention the true origin of Tchort, it is just really hard to accomplish right now because of late-game bug that still hasn't been fixed.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rebel Blob posted:

Also you can find out about the origins of the Faceless, not to mention the true origin of Tchort, it is just really hard to accomplish right now because of late-game bug that still hasn't been fixed.
Is this what happens if you get friendly with the Faceless? I've been hearing some chatter about that on the forums, I think.

Also, if I do a bilocation on a guy, will he try to attack his doppelganger, or does the ai understand that it can't damage those?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Is this what happens if you get friendly with the Faceless? I've been hearing some chatter about that on the forums, I think.

Also, if I do a bilocation on a guy, will he try to attack his doppelganger, or does the ai understand that it can't damage those?

You can damage them, they are just immune to lots of damage types. Might have to use electric pistol or psi powers?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah actually, I think at least some psi will damage them. I'm not really worried about them on my end, though. The question is oriented more towards a second run as a melee thought control dude. If the ai treats doppelgangers as regular enemies (ie, if they try to take them down with regular weapons), then they're good not just for damage, but also as soft crowd control.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I've never seen the AI attack them unless they have Neural Overload, they won't use ineffective weapons on them.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Yeah, one of the things that happens is that they will reveal loads of background information that I'm pretty sure you can't find out otherwise.

It might get fixed soon, but if you are playing through Underrail now and have a long-term plan to try to be friendly with the Faceless you have to let them kill Buzzer at Rail Crossing. If you convince the Faceless to spare Buzzer it gets counted as a negative encounter (developers have confirmed that this is a bug) and you will lose your chance to befriend the Faceless in the late game. Since it is a bit counter-intuitive, it seems like most people who have gotten to the Deep Caverns while trying to stay friendly with the Faceless have run afoul of this bug.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

You also have to have helped them in Foundry and in Core City.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh good, I've yet to do any of those things, so I guess I'll try being friends with the freaks.

sniper/assgun/psychokinesis build doin real good in the early teens, incidentally. i just can't trade blows with more than one dude, not never, ever no matter what. luckily that's usually possible, provided there aren't a half-dozen fools chasing me down in a place without los-breaking cover.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You have to do all of those? drat. Already helped Buzzer break out so... :smith:

I really wish this game's opening had more variety. Kill rathounds, turn on lights, kidnap giant rats, rescue Newton, murder hostages, murder mutants is getting old.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

According to the forums (and this matches my experiences) you have those 3 chances to help the Faceless and doing 0-1 of them makes them hostile to you, doing 2 of them makes them neutral, and doing 3 of them makes them friendly. I find it really strange (like, a bug) that if you only met one of those groups and help them, that doesn't count as 100% friendly.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Good news for the Underrail thread! Update time! :neckbeard:

quote:

Version 1.0.0.8
Creeping Dread and Eye of Spoiler debuff will now expire more quickly when you get out of the affected areas; this will also make a certain special feat more useful
Tweaked health and resistances of various DC creatures
Burrowers in front of Arke Power Plant will no longer respawn
Roman will no longer chicken out and disappear at the start of Junkyard battle
When you drop items, the loot bag will now be named "Stuff" instead of "Remains"
Added more explosives to certain merchants
Added bottles and dirty rags to some junkyard merchants
Made bottles more common when scavenging trash
Added more bolt triggers to some merchants
Increased the amount of military components at certain merchants (especially in the early game)
Buffed Balor's Hammer
Buffed the damage of mk2 and mk3 EMP grenades and mines
Plasma discharger and laser emitter component skill requirements mod changed to 1 (down from 1.25)
Persuading the mindreader in Rail Crossing to let Buzzer live will no longer negatively affect the player's score when talking to the Faceless in DC
Using the mutagen scanner now pauses the game
Certain named tchortling in Deep Caverns will no longer infinitely respawn
Fixed Mysterious Lady not appearing at the Core City metro station
Fixed Ola's dialogue tree bug
Fixed the medical locker in one of DC outposts
Lost Vault Trader's key now properly unlocks the footlocker in the shack behind him
Various minor map bugs

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 16, 2016

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Does underrail have any kind of quest log? Didn't play for a couple weeks and have no idea where I'm supposed to be going.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
press n (for notes, you see) or click on the fifth button from the left in the top right of the screen.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Ahhhh. I was doing that but didn't realize you needed to click on the text after you open the window, thanks!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Ahhhh. I was doing that but didn't realize you needed to click on the text after you open the window, thanks!

Most of the quest stage notes don't have the information you need to complete the quest, unfortunately. I took screenshots or wrote down the directions that quest givers give to objectives, otherwise you will have to go to the wiki to find stuff. Just trying to navigate based on common sense ("X is between A and B, therefore if I travel from A to B I will find it!") does not work in Underrail-ian geometry.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having so much fun with Underrail, I'm playing on normal difficulty, a dexterous char with an smg in one hand and electrified knife in the other.
It seems to have the right amount of difficulty to prevent me diving into battles without a thought and it's forcing me to pull off crazy maneuvers to get through each new enemy encounter. The combat system is excellent

I'm also spending way too much time sifting through stored loot for things I can sell to vendors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're going to end up like Al Fabet.

Twosmoke
Oct 11, 2010

bunnybunnybunny
underrail:
Finished the game yesterday after like 130hours playtime, 1.0.8 just hit ontime so even the Deep Caverns was a good experience. Even my build as sneaky crossbowman+throwing was totally viable (damm 1.0.9 came too late for me with stackable bolts, would have made certain encounters like the end boss somewhat easier..oh and stackable money yay!).
excellent game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

so is the Deep Caverns good now? I've been holding off to see what happens with that because I really hate lovely slog endgame areas.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

So this isn't technically an old-school PC RPG since I'm playing the 3DS version, but I thought it might count since there's also a PC version--Elminage Gothic is totally worth getting for all the bizarre ways you can break the game.

Example: Once Thieves get to High-Master level they gain the ability to steal enemies' equipment mid-battle. I was testing that out on my commute today against a Vampire.

Vampires in Elminage Gothic are annoying enemies because they have a bite attack that drains levels, and there's no way to un-drain levels short of buying back the XP. (and at 1 gold = 1XP that's a lot of money for one level) So that he didn't drain me, I cast a spell that blocks drain attacks while my thief tried to steal his loot. I noticed that as soon as I cast the spell the vampire didn't try to bite me any more but started punching me instead--I assumed this was the AI responding to the defense I had put up.

After successfully robbing him and killing him, I looked at my thief's inventory to see what I had stolen off him and saw this image:

The vampire didn't stop biting me because I cast a drain-defense spell, he stopped biting me because my thief stole the teeth out of his mouth. :stare:

Best dungeon crawler ever.

ed: also it's totally equippable so now my thief is running around biting enemies and draining their levels.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 21, 2016

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Gothic is the worst game in the series, though. I say that having spent way too many hours on it and beaten all the ridiculous postgame content, but that's true for the previous games as well. Granted that the differences between the games are mostly pretty minor. Elminage 2 is probably the best of the lot, or at least that's my memory.

(It might be that the 3DS version is better; I vaguely recall the PC Gothic is based on the PSP version.)

Bonus content: One of the best offhands from I think E3:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

thark posted:

Gothic is the worst game in the series, though. I say that having spent way too many hours on it and beaten all the ridiculous postgame content, but that's true for the previous games as well. Granted that the differences between the games are mostly pretty minor. Elminage 2 is probably the best of the lot, or at least that's my memory.

(It might be that the 3DS version is better; I vaguely recall the PC Gothic is based on the PSP version.)

Bonus content: One of the best offhands from I think E3:

Yeah the 3DS version has a huge laundry list of improvements from the PSP/PC version, which is why I got that one (normally I'd go for PC). From what I read they basically fixed all of the complaints people had with the PSP version--the balance was tweaked, they made aging no longer an issue, fixed the contrast in dungeons, allowed you to reset your characters' special skills for a fee, put in options to turn off aging on death or map items breaking on use, etc.

And drat the Frying Pan + 1 got a nerf in Gothic. Same stats, but only 2 attacks instead of 8.

ed: actually it's a lot worse than just that, there was never that much of an AC bonus

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Do these games have an English translation?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Seashell Salesman posted:

the pc version is available on steam in english

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

the pc version is available on steam in english

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/

I love the monster illustrations in the screenshots, but the reviews look... not good.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I love the monster illustrations in the screenshots, but the reviews look... not good.

The PC version is not very good. (It's based on the PSP version, as previously mentioned, which was before it had a much-needed balance and adjustments pass.) I own it but despite my love for dungeon crawlers I just can't make myself finish it.

The worst thing is that looking at your map - not a complete map, just your records of where you've been - takes a consumable item. This is relatively easy to mod out, but... come on, really?

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Elminage 1 also has an english translation on the PSP (as "Elminage Original").

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I have Elminage on steam too but I haven't managed to complete the first floor of the first dungeon. It's pretty cool and I want to like it but it's just kinda boring and slow.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Prism posted:

The PC version is not very good. (It's based on the PSP version, as previously mentioned, which was before it had a much-needed balance and adjustments pass.) I own it but despite my love for dungeon crawlers I just can't make myself finish it.

The worst thing is that looking at your map - not a complete map, just your records of where you've been - takes a consumable item. This is relatively easy to mod out, but... come on, really?

That part doesn't really bother me. Elminage is basically Wizardry Empire with the serial numbers filed off, and in those games the only way to look at your map was through a spell. It's one of those games where there's an unspoken assumption that you're manually mapping as you go--the levels are all fixed size with easy-to-note coordinates. There are even a few dungeon puzzles that are completely trivialized by having easy access to a map.

I admit I "cheated" and turned off map consumption in the options but I can see where they were going with that mechanic. Also worth noting that even with that setting turned on, it's pretty lenient--maps are super cheap and you can easily carry 100+ on your party at one time, and later in the game you find reusable maps--one that has a 10% chance of breaking with a mere 5 gold repair cost, and another which never breaks. Plus with an Alchemist you can create an item that always displays a minimap of your immediate surroundings.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Genpei Turtle posted:

That part doesn't really bother me. Elminage is basically Wizardry Empire with the serial numbers filed off, and in those games the only way to look at your map was through a spell.

Well. Gothic is basically Empire 4 in the guise of Elminage. The original series, less so. (The limited use automap is one of the things Gothic changes.)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
please dont post about jrpgs in the underrail thread tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking about dungeon Crawlers, I just went back to Demise:Ascension, the sequel to 1994's Mordor: Depths of Dejenol. To this day I think there's no other game like it. Faster paced than most ARPGs, unforgiving but fair, impossibly huge, full of complex mechanics like multiclassing, pets and aging. It really feels like a labor of love. I keep coming back to it for years and I don't think I've even managed to get lower than floor 15 or so (of 30+).

I was surprised to discover it's still in active development, which is good. Has anyone else played this? It also has persistent servers so people can rescue you if you die in multiplayer.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 21, 2016