Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

Are traps actually working properly, now that I think of it? The behaviour may be intentional, but it certainly seems buggy as is. Whenever anyone places a trap, any existing traps from anyone now seem to be destroyed.
I have no idea why, but somehow that wound up being implemented that way. It's supposed to be that each character can have one trap out. If it's not that way in the 3.0 beta, it's a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rope kid posted:

I have no idea why, but somehow that wound up being implemented that way. It's supposed to be that each character can have one trap out. If it's not that way in the 3.0 beta, it's a bug.

Yeah that's how I thought it worked originally and why I was confused, I haven't installed the 3.0 beta but I noticed that it wasn't working that way anymore in a recent game I started. Even that felt a bit buggy, but this feels way worse.

Oh, and does anyone know what the difference is between green traps and red traps!?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I may have to go back on the Wildstrike Belt issue. It seems like it works but doesn't do Burn damage (as the item description implies).

netcat posted:

Nope, guess I can't do this. I manage to cheese and get Thaos on his own and I still can't get him below "barely injured" and cleansing flame is the most bullshit thing I've ever seen.

Basically I tank with Edér and let the rest pummel him with spells and ranged attacks, and try to heal and cast suppress afflication with Durance and whoever had the ring equipped, but THaos casts cleansing flame at random so sometimes there's just not time to react, and it basically murders whoever it hits and then jumps to another. If he prepares a pillar of flame I try to spread out but it also does ridiculous amounts of damage to whoever gets hit
I hit that same wall when I first got to Thaos on PotD.
If you can get rid of the statues and get to a point where you only have Thaos left to deal with, with a full party and enough castings of Suppress Affliction still available, you're already doing well.

A few things to keep in mind for that second phase of the fight:
Cleansing Flame is best absorbed by summons, and if you can't make that happen, spread out while Thaos casts it to avoid having it jump.
Thaos has very high defenses, so buff your accuracy/Perception. Check your potions or make some, even just giving everyone a supply of Eldritch Aim is going to help.
Reflex is by far Thaos' weakest defense. If you have a Druid with you, the Storm spells can help a lot against him.
Like Samuel Clemens said, get rid of his buffs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh no, Cipher nerf :smith: I almost got owned because Ectopsychic Echo costs 10 more Focus now and I wasn't expecting it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

This seems... uh... wrong. There shouldn't be two save files here for any reason, right?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

This seems... uh... wrong. There shouldn't be two save files here for any reason, right?

On Trial of Iron, no, there shouldn't be.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Well, that's problem one.

I just finished checking traps, and problem two is that traps don't appear to work at all anymore. The trap cap seems to have been reduced to zero.

Edit: Including seals, priest seals don't seem to work either. But the spell doesn't get greyed out after using it, which is weird, so I could only try once.

Is there some official way I should be reporting this? Is this good enough?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 23, 2016

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010
Is the end goal for balance in this game to closely replicate a korean mmo? Can I buy more focus?

Have you guys considered just removing all combat from story time mode and instead replacing them with quicktime events?

Maybe add a cash shop to the game for deflection items?

cool tree bro fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 23, 2016

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Harrow posted:

Oh no, Cipher nerf :smith: I almost got owned because Ectopsychic Echo costs 10 more Focus now and I wasn't expecting it.

whaaaaaaaaat oh nooo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

minimalist posted:

whaaaaaaaaat oh nooo

Cipher powers now cost 10 Focus per level. So level 3 Cipher powers cost 30, level 4 cost 40, etc. It feels like a pretty massive change, but that's probably just because a single Lead Spitter shot doesn't immediately give me all the Focus I need for a fight anymore.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

As the level cap continued increasing, the max Focus cap outpaced the increase in cipher power cost by an increasingly wide margin until it became both very easy to start combat with really strong powers and very easy to regain enough Focus to immediately use those strong powers -- sometimes multiple times in sequence. The goal of the "non-traditional" resource characters (ciphers, monks, and chanters) has always been that the majority of powers are not restricted to times per encounter or times per rest, but to a resource that requires time to pass/things to occur within combat. If little or no time is actually required for these classes to use their most powerful abilities in rapid succession, there's not really a trade-off.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Makes sense to me - Ciphers' powers were stronger than Monks / Chanters by orders of magnitude without the severe gating of damage / time that fueled their counterparts' respective arsenals. Even with previous patches they were mind-bogglingly overpowered.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I really like the new stronghold adventures. I assume they can have multiple outcomes, because in one I sent the Devil Of Caroc to guard some druids and nothing happened but one of them dropped dead from nervousness, then in the description for the unique item it said the druid died in a mercenary attack.

The icon for the Red Reed Wand from one of the other quests was not quite what I was expecting:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
My hired monk with athletics never got second wind. Next time I play I'll fire her and hire another one to see if the bug is consistent.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I really like the new stronghold adventures. I assume they can have multiple outcomes, because in one I sent the Devil Of Caroc to guard some druids and nothing happened but one of them dropped dead from nervousness, then in the description for the unique item it said the druid died in a mercenary attack.

The icon for the Red Reed Wand from one of the other quests was not quite what I was expecting:

lol

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

They don't have variable outcomes. I'll have to check the text for that quest, but IIRC there's a mercenary attack and the (old) druid dies of fright while it happens.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 23, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Is there some official way I should be reporting this? Is this good enough?

You probably want to report bugs on the Official Forums. That said, that particular issue was listed as a Known Issue in the changelog, so there's no need to do it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You probably want to report bugs on the Official Forums. That said, that particular issue was listed as a Known Issue in the changelog, so there's no need to do it.

Both of them?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
... do I have to kill both the statues even if Thaos dies? :saddowns:

(spoilers if you enlarge I guess)

why do you do this to me rope kid

netcat fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 23, 2016

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Does anyone know a mod or a console command to change the way a shield looks?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rope kid posted:

As the level cap continued increasing, the max Focus cap outpaced the increase in cipher power cost by an increasingly wide margin until it became both very easy to start combat with really strong powers and very easy to regain enough Focus to immediately use those strong powers -- sometimes multiple times in sequence. The goal of the "non-traditional" resource characters (ciphers, monks, and chanters) has always been that the majority of powers are not restricted to times per encounter or times per rest, but to a resource that requires time to pass/things to occur within combat. If little or no time is actually required for these classes to use their most powerful abilities in rapid succession, there's not really a trade-off.

Yeah, it makes sense for sure, especially with the higher level cap. It's just going to take some time for me to get used to it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Am I at least able to cast Amplified Wave at the start of every fight? :pray:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

frajaq posted:

Am I at least able to cast Amplified Wave at the start of every fight? :pray:

Can you start a fight with 60 Focus?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I wish I were in the beta right now, because that Cipher nerf seems pretty severe.

Last time I played a Cipher throughout the whole game was with my custom party on PotD, which was after the starting Focus reduction, but before immunities and the Mental Binding nerf.

Even then, the Cipher wasn't great - not terrible, but definitely not overpowered - early on. Later on it became very easy to generate huge amounts of Focus for the Cipher because she just had so many damage modifiers going, which is obviously kind of unavoidable unless Focus generation were to be decoupled from total damage dealt. Immunities also hit Ciphers harder than all other casters, especially early on when they have 3-6 Powers to choose from in any given fight, but I can't really tell how hard.

Also, I'd like to see how a Cipher that doesn't use Mental Binding, Amplified Wave and Time Parasite performs. Maybe add Ringleader to that list, I don't know - it seems strong, but I never actually used it because Binding and Wave are/were so good.
I wanted to try a melee Cipher focusing on self-buffs and not using hard CC at all in a custom party once 3.0 hit, although I'm not sure about that anymore. A build like that would really want to cast a strong buff early, and that's no longer possible.

I feel like toning down the few legit overpowered Powers the class still has combined with at least a flat, not leveling bonus to starting Focus might help balance.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 23, 2016

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
You know you can join the beta right?

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76849-patch-betas-on-steam/

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I've got the GOG version; if I'd known about all the balance patches and betas at launch, I would have gotten a Steam key.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Both of them?

This is the bug I'm referring to: "Traps and Seals are invisible and can't be triggered." If you have any other issues that aren't reported here you might want to make a post.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I did it. But I did cheese it so I could fight them one at a time; I have honestly no idea how you would take them all on at the same time with the constant knockdowns and what have you

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I hope my TCS run remains viable when the new patch lands. Fortunately, I'm playing a(n incredibly boring) Chanter.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
These cipher changes seem like they would hit GM pretty hard with her very suboptimal stat allocation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
IMO the best balance for Ciphers is that when you first get a new spell level you should begin the battle with exactly enough focus to cast one of those spells once. I suppose if you spec your Cipher to stealth they can get off a good first strike and get that focus right away, I forget exactly how focus gain is calculated though.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
What do you guys think about the Survival and Athletics overhaul?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Survival is really cool. I'm not sure currently if any of the other options are worth picking over extra DR but it's certainly more useful now. Athletics is neat too, I haven't used the Second Wind ability much but not affecting fatigue means it's something you raise if you want to use that ability, rather than something you have to raise to stop your character yawning every time you travel between maps.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Scorchy posted:

What do you guys think about the Survival and Athletics overhaul?

I'm hoping they redesign skills from scratch for PoE2. The way the skills intersect with the various facets of gameplay is clunky as hell and some of the design goals with the system were kinda pointless and boneheaded (skills should be useful even if taken by multiple party members, for example).

That said, I think the redesigned Survival and Athletics are generally pretty good. Second Wind is a cool ability that can let you squeeze a little bit of juice out of a character during an encounters, and the bonuses for Survival seems decent and the UI implementation is pretty painless.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I like both survival and athletics, but I wish athletics worked reliably with hired NPCs. I finally got my hired monk to get a second wind button by buying another NPC (who of course doesn't get second wind despite an athletics score of 6). I'd report it on the obsidian forums but I'm lazy. Come to think of it, I don't think Edér had one until I got my monk...

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 23, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I wish I were in the beta right now, because that Cipher nerf seems pretty severe.

Last time I played a Cipher throughout the whole game was with my custom party on PotD, which was after the starting Focus reduction, but before immunities and the Mental Binding nerf.

Even then, the Cipher wasn't great - not terrible, but definitely not overpowered - early on. Later on it became very easy to generate huge amounts of Focus for the Cipher because she just had so many damage modifiers going, which is obviously kind of unavoidable unless Focus generation were to be decoupled from total damage dealt. Immunities also hit Ciphers harder than all other casters, especially early on when they have 3-6 Powers to choose from in any given fight, but I can't really tell how hard.

Also, I'd like to see how a Cipher that doesn't use Mental Binding, Amplified Wave and Time Parasite performs. Maybe add Ringleader to that list, I don't know - it seems strong, but I never actually used it because Binding and Wave are/were so good.
I wanted to try a melee Cipher focusing on self-buffs and not using hard CC at all in a custom party once 3.0 hit, although I'm not sure about that anymore. A build like that would really want to cast a strong buff early, and that's no longer possible.

I feel like toning down the few legit overpowered Powers the class still has combined with at least a flat, not leveling bonus to starting Focus might help balance.

I'm starting a new playthrough with this patch and as always my main is a cipher (though I'm also using a barbarian adventurer pretty consistently).

So far (I'm only up to around level 6) the main difference it seems to make is that lower-level power choices are a lot more important. Puppet Master is waaaay worse than Whisper of Treason now, for example -- they each have the same duration, but one has a quarter of the cost, so Whisper becomes far superior.

After that, duration matters a lot more now because it takes longer to get the focus back to cast it again. So, for example, I find myself casting Psychovampiric Shield to debuff single targets, rather than hitting them with Mental Binding, because MB's duration is so short.

I'd suggest doing a general pass on Cipher power durations and lengthening at least a few of them to account for the new pacing delays caused by the higher focus costs.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 23, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I hope my TCS run remains viable when the new patch lands. Fortunately, I'm playing a(n incredibly boring) Chanter.

The Phantom nerf is gonna hit solo Chanters pretty hard, especially since they don't really get any better summons until level 9.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
These patches only affect you if you have the DLC, correct?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm hoping they redesign skills from scratch for PoE2. The way the skills intersect with the various facets of gameplay is clunky as hell and some of the design goals with the system were kinda pointless and boneheaded (skills should be useful even if taken by multiple party members, for example).

Are you arguing they shouldn't be useful when taken by multiple characters, or that they should be? Since the second one is currently true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you arguing they shouldn't be useful when taken by multiple characters, or that they should be? Since the second one is currently true.
Except mechanics, really. Not much point in putting one or two points into it or spreading it out unless you're going trap-heavy. Which could work, but I find it clunky and generally just not worth setting up most of the time (except Priest seals, which is pretty counter-intuitive).

• Locked thread