Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Butt Ghost posted:

In which FFXV continues to be the gayest

One can dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

play eternal filena instead, now there's a mediocre 16-bit rpg with some soul
I think the "soul" is the thing there. Eternal Filena was trying to do something that wasn't specifically "be a mediocre RPG".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I think the "soul" is the thing there. Eternal Filena was trying to do something that wasn't specifically "be a mediocre RPG".

Hard to have soul when every aspect is designed by a committee of terrible internet people.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Speaking of games trying to come off as old SNES/Megadrive era rpgs are any of those rpgmaker games on Steam worth it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Speaking of games trying to come off as old SNES/Megadrive era rpgs are any of those rpgmaker games on Steam worth it?

i like city of chains because it's like playing a snes ripoff of deus ex

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Play golden sun??

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, Laxius Force!

alternatively give me money for a game about a dragon, which i tried to make like snes side-scrolling rpg front mission gun hazard, except with you're a dragon instead of a wanzer

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

The best RPGmaker games are the free horror games that Japan is constantly making. Most of them get translated and a lot of them are really good. Try Witch's House.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

it isn't on steam but exit fate is pretty decent if you want rpgmaker suikoden

frankly it's a better game than suikoden 3 or 4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I bought Pier Solar twice for a lot of money because I'm an idiot who hoped it was good (it wasn't) and then hoped the redo fixed its issues (it didn't). That company puts together some real nice books and boxes for games though, they should just do that for other independents instead of making bad games.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

exit fate is cool. last scenario is arguably cooler, although, in that game, you cannot recruit a cat to your party.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cool thanks for the suggestions.

Endorph posted:

it isn't on steam but exit fate is pretty decent if you want rpgmaker suikoden

frankly it's a better game than suikoden 3 or 4

Neat. Really looking for something to scratch a Dragon Quest itch. Played the DS releases to death and DQ8 isn't playable due to a not great PC and a dead PS2. gently caress I want that 3DS rerelease.

Actually might just replay Suikoden 2, just remembered I didn't play the rerelease.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The writer and producer of Wild Arms had a meeting with the Wild Arms composer and a sony exec, since its the 20th anniversary of the series. Nothing concrete or anything, but it's pretty clear that the idea of a new game or a remake was at least batted around.

Akifumi (writer/producer) has been doing an anime, but the latest season just ended. Now'd be a pretty good time for a new wild arms, since he wouldn't be busy with other work.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 23, 2016

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

Play golden sun??

What a great game. The DS release didn't hook me as much, but man I played the hell out of the GBA original.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

It would be wholly appropriate to have a Wild Arms remake to tide people over until the Final Fantasy VII remake.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

What a great game. The DS release didn't hook me as much, but man I played the hell out of the GBA original.

You should not play it again because you'll find that it's slow, boring and really really easy. Eventually it devolves into equipping the weapons with the most OP unleashes(=critical hits) and just spamming attack until you win (and you will win before you die). There's a neat djinni/class/summon system that almost entirely useless beyond increasing your stats!

I want a Golden Sun romhack that makes me actually play the game, because I'm pretty sure there's a fun battle system in there somewhere. And I wouldn't mind if said hack also removed all dialogue.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

The writer and producer of Wild Arms had a meeting with the Wild Arms composer and a sony exec, since its the 20th anniversary of the series. Nothing concrete or anything, but it's pretty clear that the idea of a new game or a remake was at least batted around.

Akifumi (writer/producer) has been doing an anime, but the latest season just ended. Now'd be a pretty good time for a new wild arms, since he wouldn't be busy with other work.

“It was a night full of emphasis on ‘this is the series’ 20th anniversary, man!’. It was certainly cold outside, but we were definitely getting heated up.”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

“It was a night full of emphasis on ‘this is the series’ 20th anniversary, man!’. It was certainly cold outside, but we were definitely getting heated up.”
that's what i like to call a rudy roughnight

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Amppelix posted:

You should not play it again because you'll find that it's slow, boring and really really easy.

I replayed Golden Sun and Lost Age quite recently and still really enjoyed them, but I would never tell anyone who didn't play them at the time to. My love for them is purely a combination of the art style, soundtrack and nostalgia at this point.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I replayed Golden Sun and Lost Age quite recently and still really enjoyed them, but I would never tell anyone who didn't play them at the time to. My love for them is purely a combination of the art style, soundtrack and nostalgia at this point.

so did i, but the entire time i was thinking why am i doing this, there are other games i could play to turn my brain off. and then i got to lost age's last bonus boss and turned the game off

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

please give me another wild arms. unless its wild arms 4 then gently caress right off.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

GulagDolls posted:

Sounds like this is gonna be a blaze of disaster that'll stain the planet red.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I am prepared for word torture

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Zereth posted:

Yeah, that was a cool game with an actual story to tell.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

please give me another wild arms. unless its wild arms 4 then gently caress right off.

Just keep the battle system from 4/5. That poo poo was fun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wow, Contact on the DS is amazing in how bland and soulless it remains while ripping off Earthbound/Mother3 every step of the way.
It's also impressive how the story never gets anywhere, and how beating the final boss is no different from killing a cockroach, only you need more health potions for the former.

The one good feature is killing NPCs and shopkeepers for loot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sega is "teasing" a valkyria chronicles remaster localization which uh...isn't that just the PC version? Unless I missed some new info about the remaster?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Glory of Heracles on the DS was an enjoyably bland experience. Simple and breezy, with a good rhythm to it. It had timed hits, and the weird MP system encouraged you to change up your tactics without turning into something that demands a lot of effort to understand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Sega is "teasing" a valkyria chronicles remaster localization which uh...isn't that just the PC version? Unless I missed some new info about the remaster?

The PC version is just a port of the PS3 version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

The remaster is a PS4 HD version. We don't know if they're going through and changing gameplay any but it seems like they're doing more than just upscaling textures, at least in terms of graphics.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Erebus posted:

It would be wholly appropriate to have a Wild Arms remake to tide people over until the Final Fantasy VII remake.

We already got a Wild Arms remake and it was everything you hoped it wouldn't be :(

Now, Wild Arms 2 Re/Loaded... :allears:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

The White Dragon posted:

We already got a Wild Arms remake and it was everything you hoped it wouldn't be :(

That game with a proper translation would kind of ruin the magic tbh

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:argh: ^^

The White Dragon posted:

only if there is a toggle to keep the original translation

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

A Sometimes Food posted:

Decent RPGMaker games include:

LISA The Painful
OFF
Exit Fate
Master of the Wind (absolutely terrible music at some points, but the writing is... OK?! What madness is this!?)
Middens
Shattered Hourglass (if you can stand Babelfishy translations, personally that makes it funnier)
The Way (mileage may vary horribly on this one)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

master of the wind is in no way ok.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MotW is no Exit Fate, but few things are. Maybe I am just a terrible sucker for worldbuilding, or the Murtaugh of skeletons.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The White Dragon posted:

It probably wouldn't let you name every significant character in the game, no sell.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It probably would, Wild Arms has been all about that for years. afaik you've been able to rename even nobody NPCs since WA3.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
Other than Phantasy Star 1, anyone got an 8 or 16-bit NON-PC game that's a challenging 1st person dungeon crawler? Preferably something where I'd need to bust out my graph paper again..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Any of the NES ports of D&D games :v: