Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Jimbozig posted:

You know what? I'd love to get more people pledging there. So, for a limited time only, any goons here who get on the Patreon now can have it work retroactively, getting the new adventure and the vehicles expansion for free!

So I just discovered Strike! (I haven't even had the chance to play it yet), but I think it's already my new favourite RPG, and I'm already excited to try running it. I just pledged to the Patreon, and I would love to get in on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, I'm planning on doing a couple of online combat tests on Roll20 for the Rogue this Wednesday and Friday with two different sets of players from 9PM to 12 Eastern, and I'm looking for a few more people. The goal would be to get done 3 combats each night. So far I think I have two players each night, and ideally we'll run with 4, (although 3 is okay, too). Any volunteers?

I could do Wednesday.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Maleketh posted:

I could do Wednesday.

Oh good. I just edited my post to remove all reference to the Friday test because it turns out I already have 4 or 5 people for that, since gourdcaptain is bringing friends for Friday.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hey, I'll try it, if you still have space! I have a fair amount of Roll20 experience and even ran Strike! on it once. I am probably still bad at the game though.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Oh good. I just edited my post to remove all reference to the Friday test because it turns out I already have 4 or 5 people for that, since gourdcaptain is bringing friends for Friday.

Should I come prepared with a sheet or will you be providing them?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Full Rogue party let's go!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
*steps forward boldly* I will be the Defender.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

My friend is running a game of Strike and I'd love to playtest the rogue, if you feel like sending it along.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Dibs. What days do you still need?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Jimbozig posted:

You know what? I'd love to get more people pledging there. So, for a limited time only, any goons here who get on the Patreon now can have it work retroactively, getting the new adventure and the vehicles expansion for free!

I also just signed up for your Patreon. What do you need from me to send the previous rewards? Just an email?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey, uh, Prone allows you to use low cover as full cover. What do you do to intentionally drop prone? You can only inflict prone on targets.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Hey, uh, Prone allows you to use low cover as full cover. What do you do to intentionally drop prone? You can only inflict prone on targets.
Free action should do it. Strike!'s role actions aren't normally used for random small things. It's a minor action in D&D 4e but probably should've been free there too, unless there's some broken Infinite Pronemeister combo hidden somewhere.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Okay, so I've just sent emails or PMs to the lot of you who volunteered for rogue playtesting (Maleketh, homullus, gharbad, count, turing, superstring, gourdcaptain+friends). I've now got 5 players for each day, so we're all full up.

Zarick, I sent you a link to the google doc. If anyone else has their own game on the go and wants to test the Rogue, let me know. I have a couple of requirements: you must test it soon (If tests go well, I'm hoping to have it published in a couple of weeks.) and you must give me feedback!

CaptCommy, I just sent links from Drivethru to my latest Patreon backer, and I assume that's you. Viscardus, that's great to hear - thanks! And you should also have your links by now, too.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 25, 2016

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Jimbozig posted:

Viscardus, that's great to hear - thanks! And you should also have your links by now, too.

Yep, I got them, thanks! Now I just need to whether my players prefer to try to pre-made adventure or would rather help me come up with an original setting. The only downside of setting-neutrality is that it really brings out my indecisiveness. :v:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

How do feats interact with the Buddies class? Does the buddy get any feat benefits? If a Buddies character takes Toughness, does the buddy get the extra HP? (I am assuming not since that would be a lot of extra durability.) What about the other benefits of the feat? If a Buddies character has Savage Striker, does the effect trigger on attacks originating from the buddy?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried running a game of Strike strictly as a tactical miniatures game? I'm wondering if a multiplayer game where both sides make a squad using pregen monsters and then go head to head would be feasible.

Tenebrous Tourist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 27, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
As in, using the class/role rules exclusively for both sides? I haven't tried that, but I don't really know how well it'd work due to player health not really growing like monster health does, but it might and I'm really just theorycrafting here. If you mean "one person builds/plays a team of heroes and another builds a team of monsters and they fight," I've done that quite a few times to playtest. Characters in Strike are much easier to play than their 4e counterparts so it's really quite feasible for one person to control multiple units without it taking forever.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

As in, using the class/role rules exclusively for both sides? I haven't tried that, but I don't really know how well it'd work due to player health not really growing like monster health does, but it might and I'm really just theorycrafting here. If you mean "one person builds/plays a team of heroes and another builds a team of monsters and they fight," I've done that quite a few times to playtest. Characters in Strike are much easier to play than their 4e counterparts so it's really quite feasible for one person to control multiple units without it taking forever.

I should have clarified, I actually meant the opposite: both players would build a team exclusively using monsters. Basically, I'm wondering if something like the X-Com multiplayer mode would be workable in Strike.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Rogue Playtest Wednesday Results:

Final battle: 5 deaths.

And 1 survivor with 2 hp.

VICTORY.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Rogue Playtest Wednesday Results:

Final battle: 5 deaths.

And 1 survivor with 2 hp.

VICTORY.

Summary: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :supaburn: :gibs: :gibs: :gibs: :gibs: :gibs: :cheers:

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
last dude is KOKO MARGUILE: FUTURE SOLDIER

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

[Edit] vvv Sorry about that! I don't think it matters, since knowing can't prevent it, but I don't want to ruin anyone's experience.

homullus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 28, 2016

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Edit: Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 28, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Edit: Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

I'll be changing that anyway. The last time I ran that combat it was on a smaller map with longer-ranged PCs and the players got to phase 2 really fast. Holding you out of range like that was too strong.

I'll swap the trait in question out for another trait.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It was frustrating, but that's ultimately the point of playtesting, discovering those sorts of things.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
No Jimbo! GRIND THE FRIDAY TESTERS INTO DUST

It's not enough for me to win, OTHERS HAVE TO LOSE

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Gharbad the Weak posted:

No Jimbo! GRIND THE FRIDAY TESTERS INTO DUST

It's not enough for me to win, OTHERS HAVE TO LOSE

:yeah:

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
There was more that we could've done to get out of that situation, but I'm still learning the rule differences between it and 4e. I think if I had made some realizations EARLIER in the fight, we would've been in much better shape.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

It was frustrating, but that's ultimately the point of playtesting, discovering those sorts of things.
Yeah, and it gave me a chance to see how rogues do when the fight drags on for ages and you run out of resources. They did about the same overall as other characters - same struggles - so that's good.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Yesss, crush their bones

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well, I did it. I finished The Psion. Crimeny! It looks like it'll be a couple days before it appears on DriveThruRPG (I hope I did everything right, I've never done it before), but here's the free trial version I have available for anyone interested in getting a peek.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/da9lxvc8yy9ar6c/ThePsionPreview.pdf

e: updated link for most recent version. If the formatting is weird try downloading the file instead.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 29, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Well, I did it. I finished The Psion. Crimeny! It looks like it'll be a couple days before it appears on DriveThruRPG (I hope I did everything right, I've never done it before), but here's the free trial version I have available for anyone interested in getting a peek.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/da9lxvc8yy9ar6c/ThePsionPreview.pdf

So the Psion automatically does 2 damage/round if it Psychs Up, unless it tries to do something better?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yes, like the Magician but without their role boost. It's basically there because I found people inexperienced with the class were holding onto their Focus, waiting for the prefect moment that never came, and getting two damage softened the learning curve.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Yes, like the Magician but without their role boost. It's basically there because I found people inexperienced with the class were holding onto their Focus, waiting for the prefect moment that never came, and getting two damage softened the learning curve.

I'm on board with it -- just wanted to make sure I understood.

I don't have the book with me at work. Does that make the Psion more or less dangerous than other classes when Dominated?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Generally less, but it depends which of the two Dominated rules you're following. If you're using the less fuzzy version it basically means the GM gets to make an MBA or RBA, though it does mean you don't get to enter your Psych Up or feature-specific Focus stance that turn.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I like it. Can you see a way to make a "Minor Psion" feat?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well it's a Class not a Role, so it wouldn't really fit. I did think about making a specific feat for it (basically a better version of Fast Reflexes) but ultimately found it more trouble than it was worth. I might go back to it though!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
So, at will and on the fly, the psion can teleport adjacent to quite a few enemies (moving away from another player can be quite a few things), use the Leader's action trigger (but better), or reduce damage. That's a heck of a lot of options. And, if none of those very powerful options are useless THIS round, you still do autodamage and can take out a stooge. I'm a very big believer in the power of flexibility, and based solely off the at-wills, that is a comparatively high amount of good choices. Now, I do like that a lot of these powers are NOT long ranged: Pursuit has a range of 5, so it's not like you're teleporting across the map.

Specific things I notice:

Focus: Bulwark on a controller means that, as an interrupt, you can move someone away from their target as an interrupt. Would this negate the attack, i.e. moving a melee attacker 2 squares and out of melee range? Also, this is a very, very good power on a defender. If you mark a guy, and they attack you, and hit, you hit them. If they miss, you can use it on someone else.

The combination of long range and melee assaults actually just means "Take melee shooter and long range powers."

Focus: Pursuit is an extreme amount of mobility, depending on how you define "away from you or an ally." A lot of the time, moving towards one person will cause a creature to move away from another. This can negate a lot of things like immobilization, or risk of area damage ("PCs in this zone take 1 damage at start of turn") because it can be extremely likely they can just pop out before their turn comes up. Also, this is a general question. I come from 4e, where Move and Is Moved are definitely different. If a controller slides an enemy away from someone, would that allow you to teleport to them?

Focus: Pursuit and Focus: Ensnare both combine very well with a friendly controller.

I'm trying to decide if Focus: Shatter is ok or not. If you wait until they're bloodied, then it's only half as powerful as the Major Spell Thanatin's Malediction. It's also got the trigger "Is Bloodied", which means you get exactly one chance per person to possibly trigger it. I would actually consider making the failure move more powerful, or at least change the trigger to "An enemy is bloodied or a bloodied enemy his hit."

I'm in no way suggesting that this class is overpowered or anything. A lot of that would depend on the other two Class Options and seeing how the other encounters are. I just think it needs a bit of clarification. For the record, I'd probably make a Psion defender and never look back, but I really like defenders in general.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

So, at will and on the fly, the psion can teleport adjacent to quite a few enemies (moving away from another player can be quite a few things), use the Leader's action trigger (but better), or reduce damage. That's a heck of a lot of options. And, if none of those very powerful options are useless THIS round, you still do autodamage and can take out a stooge. I'm a very big believer in the power of flexibility, and based solely off the at-wills, that is a comparatively high amount of good choices. Now, I do like that a lot of these powers are NOT long ranged: Pursuit has a range of 5, so it's not like you're teleporting across the map.

Specific things I notice:

Focus: Bulwark on a controller means that, as an interrupt, you can move someone away from their target as an interrupt. Would this negate the attack, i.e. moving a melee attacker 2 squares and out of melee range? Also, this is a very, very good power on a defender. If you mark a guy, and they attack you, and hit, you hit them. If they miss, you can use it on someone else.

The combination of long range and melee assaults actually just means "Take melee shooter and long range powers."

Focus: Pursuit is an extreme amount of mobility, depending on how you define "away from you or an ally." A lot of the time, moving towards one person will cause a creature to move away from another. This can negate a lot of things like immobilization, or risk of area damage ("PCs in this zone take 1 damage at start of turn") because it can be extremely likely they can just pop out before their turn comes up. Also, this is a general question. I come from 4e, where Move and Is Moved are definitely different. If a controller slides an enemy away from someone, would that allow you to teleport to them?

Focus: Pursuit and Focus: Ensnare both combine very well with a friendly controller.

I'm trying to decide if Focus: Shatter is ok or not. If you wait until they're bloodied, then it's only half as powerful as the Major Spell Thanatin's Malediction. It's also got the trigger "Is Bloodied", which means you get exactly one chance per person to possibly trigger it. I would actually consider making the failure move more powerful, or at least change the trigger to "An enemy is bloodied or a bloodied enemy his hit."

I'm in no way suggesting that this class is overpowered or anything. A lot of that would depend on the other two Class Options and seeing how the other encounters are. I just think it needs a bit of clarification. For the record, I'd probably make a Psion defender and never look back, but I really like defenders in general.

Inspire isn't better than the Leader's trigger, because it eats your attack action instead of being a free action.

I'll make a note in the document about "moving away." The intent was "makes a movement action which takes them away from an adjacent creature," and I guess the people I talked to inferred that so I never had it come up. Clarity is obviously ideal though.

The at-wills in general were designed to trigger often, but what I found in playtest with things like Bulwark was that they seem a lot better in theorycraft than they do in actual play because your GM knows you have that power and if they think you're saving it for something specific they can bait your Focus on something else. And even in circumstances where they don't it wasn't really any better than pushing damage I found.

Melee Shooter is a really powerful feat for the class yeah, though there's definitely enough Ranged powers where you can just go pure ranged, or enough melee/ranged 5 to do that. MS is really only necessary if you want to mix and match which, granted, you may.

You're right, I definitely need to clarify the language there, thank you. I'm not actually sure if "Move" and "Is Moved" is laid out anywhere in the rules specifically (though there's certainly some stuff about forced movement into hostile Zones/hazards) but the intent was the former so I'll work it in a way to get that across.

You need to keep in mind that Focus powers are interrupts/reactions, and this can mean a lot sometimes. In the case of Shatter, it means it can take out an Elite the second it becomes susceptible to Saving Throw-based effects, potentially robbing it of its very scary dual actions (or just any actions whatsoever). It's weaker than some other save-or-die powers in other circumstances, but it also does damage and has a boon even if they pass. I may change it to "bloodied or hit while bloodied", though part of the intent was to force players to be aware of the board state and know to hold their Focus if they wanted to Shatter and their preferred target would likely be Bloodied that round.

I appreciate your feedback! Psion/Defender is very cute and has a lot of control/denial once you have the full suite of abilities. Focus: Rage functions as a more specific (but stronger if it triggers) I Don't Think So, for instance. As a hint for the other features, one deals with Domination and saving throws, and the other with the party's Role Boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, man, feel free to bait me using a literal attack. I'll gladly take a good usage of Bulwark now vs a possible perfect Bulwark that MIGHT happen. "Good thing NOW" is usually better than "Maybe perfect thing LATER."

If Bulwark on a controller can't negate attacks, there probably should be a specific clarification about it. If it's not supposed to, you could also have it as a Reaction, and heal 1 or 2 vs the current resist 1 or 2, then it wouldn't be an issue. The only real drawback would be that, I think, if someone were dropped to like -4, the heal 1 would become effectively heal 5, while it wouldn't prevent someone who'd normally be sent to, say, -5 from actually reaching -5. That's fairly niche.