Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hogmartin posted:

What didn't you like about the Saitek yoke?

Too much slop in the center. Didn't feel good. The front display began flickering so I had to tape over it. The buttons wore out really quickly. The pots on the throttle quadrant are lovely and imprecise, and they wear out quickly too. And, if you add another quadrant, they don't match up because one is USB and one is PS2 via the yoke base.

I also had a bunch of Saitek panels that drove me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Just wanted to let you know that your posting on the Rift has caused me to pre-order. No pressure.

I mean, in vanilla FSX I'm sure you'll be able to hit 90 FPS just fine.

But some of these aerosoft/pmdg planes tank the FPS down into 30s way often. I don't know what they're doing, as the GPU isn't exactly being taxed here, but I'm guessing it's mostly simulation stuff on the CPU.

Not that I'd fly a tubeliner in VR without a simpit (and I'm not building one so)

vvv: Yeah, on low settings, but it doesn't matter much in VR, since the resolution isn't high enough for that ~high rez scenery~ to matter.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 22, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Truga posted:

Maybe on medium settings. FSX runs like garbage.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Too much slop in the center. Didn't feel good. The front display began flickering so I had to tape over it. The buttons wore out really quickly. The pots on the throttle quadrant are lovely and imprecise, and they wear out quickly too. And, if you add another quadrant, they don't match up because one is USB and one is PS2 via the yoke base.

I also had a bunch of Saitek panels that drove me crazy.

I've never flown a real plane, so I guess I don't know any better, I like it. The display backlight does crap out after a year or two. The throttle quadrant is what sold me on it; I mapped gear/flaps/speedbrake to the buttons and the throttle built in to the CH yoke just seemed goofy. CH pedals own though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The only thing I've owned from Saitek that I liked was their Rudder. That worked as advertised.

For the amount of fidelity you get from sim controls, I found that settling with a good joystick worked for me. If I were going to get a yoke again, I'd drop the $700+ for a realistic one. And that just gets so far into the realm of diminishing returns that I don't think I'll ever explore it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

I was kinda joking. Something you said back in December started me researching the Rift, and I eventually decided to bite the bullet and pre-order.

I still contend that using controls other than a HOTAS/Gamepad is going to be a challenge, but I'm honestly curious because I suspect that Elite: Dangerous in perceptual 3D is going to create extra laundry for me.

Edit: While I'm here and we're kinda on peripheral chat; I'm looking for a USB wheel for playing Euro truck Simulator. Doesn't need force feedback, I'm just looking for something a little better than a gamepad.

Any recommendations?

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 22, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vando posted:

Applied to join the forum group, is the game world group separate or invite only or is there some other arcane process that needs to be done?

They're separate and invite/application only. I sent you a gameworld invite. As for the internal forums everyone pretty much has to wait until I check it to get into the group there, because the site times out when I try to make anyone else forum staff. :wtc:

edit: rift & fps chat - I've tried FSX with a DK2, it isn't pretty. I get around 75 FPS which I thought was the "minimum required" for a good experience according to them. Running a 4790k @ 4.6, GTX660 and everything except traffic maxed out, also using ORBX South Alaska.

Rise of Flight is pretty neat with a Rift though.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 22, 2016

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
On the VR flightsim topic, Froogle did a 30 minute video exploring it this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gX88bg4sC4
tl;dr is you're gonna need to be able to produce 75fps @ 2160x1200 otherwise you might as well fly the vomit-comet

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

you've made GetStill very mad, please stop mocking the spergs on their own forums (even though its a loving private, invite-only group). stick to mocking them here so they don't ban everyone that just wants to fly fake planes for fake money.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You should definitely ask him what the heinous crime was (as you are obviously concerned about outrageous ToS-flaunting posting behaviour, yes sir!) so he has to patiently explain that he had to come down super hard on dongchat.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

you guys really showed him ha ha ha ha

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

sellouts posted:

you guys really showed him ha ha ha ha

Well, the fact that they're getting his panties into a wad indicates that they may actually HAVE shown him.

They're just gonna communicate off-site now and do the same poo poo. These FSE admins are weirdos just like the "Founders'' of VATSIM.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The Ferret King posted:

These FSE admins are weirdos just like the "Founders'' of VATSIM.

That's actually the current VATGOV1, i.e. President of VATSIM. We were on the Board together years ago and he's super chill, so if he's pissed off at you idiots, you must be really tooling it up.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

SoapyTarantula posted:

you've made GetStill very mad, please stop mocking the spergs on their own forums (even though its a loving private, invite-only group). stick to mocking them here so they don't ban everyone that just wants to fly fake planes for fake money.

I say shut down the in game group forum (which won't kill the game world group) and say that you'll recommend in the off site forums that Goons no longer post in the FSE Community other than to make financial transactions. I'm totally cool with not making any more posts there, I already accomplished my goals on that forum. :v:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Reminder that the context for this is Goetta saying "so I can't talk about my giant shaft?" or something along those lines when told we can't do bad words.

All of this in a forum that can only be seen by a dozen goons and the mod team.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah sorry I was honestly just wondering if it set off a mod trigger if you said gently caress or something but I guess Penis is a bad word too. I didn't think a guy actually goes through and reads all the subforums, which is sorta hilarious.

I wont post there anymore so you guys don't get banned.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

so how big is your shaft?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Actually I said something like 'Can I talk about my penis size?' and it seems pretty average from what I can tell

e: Please make a private server subforum thread so people who are interested in sims don't have to wade through this stupid poo poo. I'll stop talking about other forums now sorry.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 23, 2016

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
edit: Thanks for the invite!

Mitt Romney fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 23, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those of us that gently caress around with FSE, we've got our own thread in PGS now. We no longer have to spam this thread or resist the urge to talk using horrible adult language in the FSE forums.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

We could call it Buffalo Airways and hoon it up until we get banned like they did IRL.

Goetta posted:

Yeah sorry I was honestly just wondering if it set off a mod trigger if you said gently caress or something but I guess Penis is a bad word too. I didn't think a guy actually goes through and reads all the subforums, which is sorta hilarious.

I wont post there anymore so you guys don't get banned.

So far so good :v:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is Active Sky still the best FSX weather addon?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its definitely the best I've used. Totally worth it imo.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Is Active Sky still the best FSX weather addon?

Yes. And if you have the two latest PMDG tubeliners (737 and 777), Active Sky Next makes it so their weather radars actually work (otherwise they are marked inop)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Kilonum posted:

Yes. And if you have the two latest PMDG tubeliners (737 and 777), Active Sky Next makes it so their weather radars actually work (otherwise they are marked inop)

SoapyTarantula posted:

Its definitely the best I've used. Totally worth it imo.

Perfect, I'll grab that next month!

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
What is the CPU penalty of using active sky in FSX like? An A2A Cessna and some add-on terrain and my PC struggles to give 35 FPS.
Maybe I need to finally upgrade this potato :smith:

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Minimal. I didn't notice a difference in performance even back on my old Athlon ii 640. If you leave it at stock settings its pretty well balanced. You can even tweak some things to reduce what it does if you do run into some problems.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Since ActiveSky is mostly external, it is not limited to the 4GB of RAM I don't think.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

it's external but uses up hardly any ram, it's just updating what the weather is and then the sim does the rest.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

quote:

[23:08:19] MB005: PANC CTR any issues with me time accelerating to warp speed (16x time accel) until my TOD? My wife's getting bored so I want ot wrap this up quick.
[23:08:46] ANC_CTR on 132.300: MB005, go for it! I'll let you know if there's any traffic around you
[23:09:33] MB005: no problem ANC CTR. I always warn you guys when Im about to pull a stunt like that. Kinda hard to route traffic around a bugsmasher that suddenly goes transsonic
[23:12:34] ANC_CTR: That's very true!
[23:12:56] MB005: Id 1x a lot more if I werent married but I kinda like being married
[23:13:32] ANC_CTR: haha it brings a lot more benefits than flight simming for sure
[23:17:18] MB005: have a good one ANC CTR, catch you later
[23:17:35] ANC_CTR: Enjoy the rest of your day!

You know, I'm finding that some VATSIM controllers can be actually kinda nice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Is that the Real Life ATCTM guy?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJwXRpJ_9lU

:catstare:

Home cockpit: hard mode. Not only is the 737-200 a beastly model to replicate since it's all analog (no cheating with screens), but this guy built this all himself, using a mix of real gauges with custom wiring harnesses and home-built gauges with motors and so on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

aunt jemima posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJwXRpJ_9lU

:catstare:

Home cockpit: hard mode. Not only is the 737-200 a beastly model to replicate since it's all analog (no cheating with screens), but this guy built this all himself, using a mix of real gauges with custom wiring harnesses and home-built gauges with motors and so on.

The callsign is accurate. 270kts the whole way in, almost 200kts over the fence, with an 8° nose down until the flare.

Yup. Sounds like Southwest.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

MrYenko posted:

The callsign is accurate. 270kts the whole way in, almost 200kts over the fence, with an 8° nose down until the flare.

I have noticed, with a few exceptions, a uniform inverse correlation between quality of home cockpit and quality of pilot skills. Must be all the solder fumes.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's the hundreds of man hours building the stupid things and 0 hours flying them.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

The Ferret King posted:

It's the hundreds of man hours building the stupid things and 0 hours flying them.

This is me a tweaking, and installing planes in p3d.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

SINK RATE

SINK RATE

SINK RATE

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

e.pilot posted:

SINK RATE

SINK RATE

SINK RATE

*runs off runway end/taxiway" we're here!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
What sim and/or plugins does that guy have to make the cityscape look that nice at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

x-plane. it's pretty good at night lighting