Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

i'm pretty sure he's talking about parasite eve 2

i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Colonel posted:

it's a shame because i really love everything about it outside of the dungeon crawling, i just can't really get into the combat enough to have fun with it and you encounter enemies so drat frequently

still, maya is the best
Maya is good. Ulala is also good.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

why can't i play puzzle fighter on vita. killer app, hello.

Yeah i can't play it on anything current gen and it's driving me INSANE!

Also, what's a drpg?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dungeon rpg I assume

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baal posted:

There is a lady being tortured and I need to go back for a monkey wrecnh, rip this lady
Remind me when you meet Kyle because every scene with him is the height of stupidity.
And his dumb turtleneck wearing in the Mojave too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished up Dryfield and killed this stupid elephant fire breathing baby man by unloading grenades and poison into him

I don't really like this game at all and the monster designs are stupid and Kyle's turtleneck is stupid

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Good thing you beat that boss, otherwise he kills the most important NPC: dog. Speaking of which that reminds me, the "true ending" has some real stupid conditions so I hope you saved Pierce with the ice otherwise you're in for an even bigger disappointment.

I appreciate that they tried for RE (well more like they straight up borrowed the RE2 dev team from Capcom), but coming from the first game the change can be annoying. I think the game makes for a lot more fun NG+ runs due to how many modes it gives you. Then again, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" applies here, so yeah. Especially the weird as hell inventory system.

The camels and exploding flying babies are weird. Also the sound design on the enemies just feels odd in general. I think it improves in the back half for like, 2 or so enemies but it's just so weird.
The first game mostly did giant animals but the mutations were done so well and were so freaky that actually worked a lot, unlike say RE0.

Also worth noting is the loving massive downgrade going from Yoko Shimomura to weird atmospheric music by ???. Mostly guitar twanging for who knows how long. And the battle theme very slowly coming together over the course of the entire game is a neat idea but ultimately obnoxious.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
From what I remember, the only thing that changes between the "bad" and the "good" ending is whether or not one of the throwaway characters lives and what they end up revealing post-credits through a "where are they now" text blurb if you did save him. It's so low-effort and effects the plot so little they might as well not have bothered. Also, the fact that said character somehow doesn't even show up and just dies in the middle of nowhere if the dog dies is hilariously stupid.

To add insult to injury, just think, instead of Aya's boring desert adventure, you could be playing RE2, Nemesis, Silent Hill, or Dino Crisis.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Pierce gives you a Cola and a Dreamcatcher, it's in your best interest to rescue him from babywasps.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh god I forgot the product placement, Colas were actually super useful ether items.
Your subliminal messaging won't get me Square! Man I sure could go for the smooth and refreshing taste of a carbonated beverage right now though.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 26, 2016

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How necessary are grips for the vita? I was listening to the Oddworld episode of Watch Out for Fireballs abs they mentioned it was a little difficult with out the L2 and R2 buttons, so I was wondering what you goons think of its worth getting?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KomradeX posted:

How necessary are grips for the vita? I was listening to the Oddworld episode of Watch Out for Fireballs abs they mentioned it was a little difficult with out the L2 and R2 buttons, so I was wondering what you goons think of its worth getting?

Vita games mostly don't use the rear touchpad, and those that do have specific rear touchpad controls (instead of just mapping virtual buttons to areas of the touchpad), so this is only a concern if you're playing a lot of PSX games.

The L2/R2 grip is essentiually just a couple of rubber bits that hit the rear touchpad when you press the physical L2/R2 buttons, so it's entirely possible to play without one. I find it much more comfortable than playing the Vita without the grip regardless of whether or not I'm playing something that uses the L2/R2 "buttons," but I have big hands.

It's still Japan-exclusive and something you have to import at a high premium if you want those two extra buttons, though. Most Vita grips are just a plastic shell that makes it more comfortable to hold.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 26, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bhikkhuni will finally get its multiplayer in Febraury

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/691948040236765184

Also

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/691953116741132288

HYPE

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Vita games mostly don't use the rear touchpad, and those that do have specific rear touchpad controls (instead of just mapping virtual buttons to areas of the touchpad), so this is only a concern if you're playing a lot of PSX games.

The L2/R2 grip is essentiually just a couple of rubber bits that hit the rear touchpad when you press the physical L2/R2 buttons, so it's entirely possible to play without one. I find it much more comfortable than playing the Vita without the grip regardless of whether or not I'm playing something that uses the L2/R2 "buttons," but I have big hands.

It's still Japan-exclusive and something you have to import at a high premium if you want those two extra buttons, though. Most Vita grips are just a plastic shell that makes it more comfortable to hold.

Okay so I was planning on picking up a bunch of the PSClassics so can I just map those buttons to the rear touch pad or will it be to tough to hit those while playing normally?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Okay so I was planning on picking up a bunch of the PSClassics so can I just map those buttons to the rear touch pad or will it be to tough to hit those while playing normally?

You can map them to the rear touchpad and it's relatively easy to hit those, yeah. It's just more convenient to have physical buttons, for me anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS1 games that do use L2/R2 a lot are an absolute pain though, and the rear touchpad is no substitute.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Playing PE2 on the rear touchpad sucks a lot, because I have to be mindful of where my fingers are since Aya will just start randomly shooting otherwise.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

lol

(from this)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As part of the rebranding the Vita has been renamed the Mort

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baal posted:

I'm playing PE2 now as my Vita game and I forgot that this game is not fun

I picked this up for a dollar half a year ago and still haven't launched it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My Vita battery has gone to poo poo since the firmware update. Before, I could leave it in a sleep/standby for days with no problem. Now the battery dies over night. Anyone else notice this issue?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

In Training posted:

I picked this up for a dollar half a year ago and still haven't launched it.

this but for every game currently on my vita

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Waltzing Along posted:

My Vita battery has gone to poo poo since the firmware update. Before, I could leave it in a sleep/standby for days with no problem. Now the battery dies over night. Anyone else notice this issue?
When sleeping your Vita, always hit the home menu button first. PSP games particularly remain running even with the screen off if you sleep the vita in the game itself.

Baal posted:

I hate PE2
Play PE3 instead. It's actually pretty good on the vita due to the extra stick.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am planning to do that after I finish PE2

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Baal posted:

I am planning to do that after I finish PE2
Enjoy, then! :haw:

Unity talk: What Vita games are Unity anyhow? This may be confirmation bias, but from what i remember not all that many are, and those that are run like dried poo poo anyhow (looking at you, Frozen Synapse Prime).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/escha-logy-plus-complete-costume-set/cid=UP4108-PCSE00826_00-DCLSET0000000000

Escha and Logy Costume DLC is up. Free for 4 weeks, no purchase of the game required to claim.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mithaldu posted:

When sleeping your Vita, always hit the home menu button first. PSP games particularly remain running even with the screen off if you sleep the vita in the game itself.
Play PE3 instead. It's actually pretty good on the vita due to the extra stick.

This is with everything closed. At the home menu. I tested it like this to make sure it wasn't a game in the background that was causing the issue.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

As part of the rebranding the Vita has been renamed the Mort

One hundred years, Nep and Morty.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Manny Calavera's favorite video game system!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tactics Ogre (PSP) is on sale on PSN for $10

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Tactics Ogre (PSP) is on sale on PSN for $10

As a general PSA to anyone who might not know, this is a fantastic remake paired with a phenomenal translation. If you like Tactics Ogre games, or FFT, or strategy/tactics RPGs in general you should hop on this. There's a ton of content there, too, with branching story paths, etc.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Agrias120 posted:

As a general PSA to anyone who might not know, this is a fantastic remake paired with a phenomenal translation. If you like Tactics Ogre games, or FFT, or strategy/tactics RPGs in general you should hop on this. There's a ton of content there, too, with branching story paths, etc.

:agreed:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Agrias120 posted:

As a general PSA to anyone who might not know, this is a fantastic bow paired with a phenomenal arrow. If you like archer games, or Link's Crossbow Training, or archers in general you should hop on this. There's a ton of archers there, too, with branching quiver paths, etc.

I'm more of a sword guy, though. I guess I'll keep looking.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm more of a sword guy, though. I guess I'll keep looking.

You can shoot a sword with a bow. Makes you think

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agrias120 posted:

You can shoot a sword with a bow. Makes you think
I'll just play fate stay night, thanks

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So Vita Mem cards are about as plentiful as fountains of youth near me. Do you need a mem card or does the Vita have a built in hard drive, like even just for saves of games from a disk?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anora posted:

So Vita Mem cards are about as plentiful as fountains of youth near me. Do you need a mem card or does the Vita have a built in hard drive, like even just for saves of games from a disk?

You need a memory card. There's no on-board memory and cartridges can't hold data.

Amazon will have them if you're in a country where Amazon sends stuff. Ebay, too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anora posted:

The Vita 2000 model has a 1 GB onboard memory, but you will use it for saves and a couple of patches only before it fills up. Vita memory cards are on the devil's side of proprietary prices, you'll be paying 8x the money to byte ratio that you would with a standard memory card. Use an online retailer to get one, though, if you really need one and can't find any local shop with them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The 8GB card might as well be considered the bare minimum and I recommend getting a 32GB if you're fine with going all or near-all-digital. The good news on that front is that Sony's digital stuff is very well-done with the only major problem being that your owned title list (where you can download stuff you bought in the past) can become so big that it is nearly unmanageable because it includes games you own that you can't play on your Vita like PS3 and PS4 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I don't think an infrastructure that badly implemented could be called digital "very well-done". The store on the PS3 used to crash/hardlock the console. The Vita one has weird authentication issues. They only seem to have gotten it sort of right with the PS4.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 26, 2016