Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So the psychoactive substances bill has been approved and is waiting for Royal Assent, and the act will come into effect one April the 1st.
Any thoughts?

Politicians continue to value their own opinion above field experts, and the liberty to practice homeopathy is more important than the liberty to get high.

The bill is racist and hilariously pointless. Absolutely none of the commonly used legal high networks will be impacted, as they all operate out of Spain and ship from Brum. Adults stamping their feet that people do things they don't (but do really) part whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
the interesting bit was when all the lawyers pointed out that tea, air, and all forms of medicine were made illegal in the first draft, and the response from the home office wasn't to scrap such an obviously stupid idea

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

So the psychoactive substances bill has been approved and is waiting for Royal Assent, and the act will come into effect one April the 1st.
Any thoughts?

Even before the bill has become law they're already talking about a review of popper to legalise them again by July. It's a total farce. This level of shambles that would be embarrassing for student union politics.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Theyve decided to make everything illegal, they'll deal with the specifics later

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spangly A posted:

the interesting bit was when all the lawyers pointed out that tea, air, and all forms of medicine were made illegal in the first draft, and the response from the home office wasn't to scrap such an obviously stupid idea

Oh but we have to be tough on drugs and crime
think of the children

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Any thoughts?

Yet again a government proves it's scientific illiteracy.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Currently cataloguing some select committee reports on sweatshops from 1890. It's blaming jews, poles and "roumanians" for flooding over here and steaing all the jobs. It also observes that the sweatshops are frequently set up in inhabited slum houses that are crammed full of underpaid "sweaters" (this we all already remember from Marx) but a new touch of horror is added when some physicians report that they have seen cases beyond count of persons (usual children or other dependents) sick with infectious diseases like smallpox or scarlet fever lying sick in these work rooms full of workers, and being covered with unfinished garments waiting to be worked up, that are then sent straight to the wholesalers and sold to the pubic. :magical:

"Mr Arnold White observes that the broadest definition he can give to the term sweating is the process of grinding the faces of the poor."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Any thoughts?
Did any of the cool amendments from the Lords make it through? (Going to guess no.)

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Yet again a government proves it's scientific illiteracy.
I was going to be a pedant about the apostrophe, but it's right both ways. :v:

Oberleutnant posted:

capitalism.txt
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

:suicide:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Any thoughts?

They didn't even have the wit to delay it till April 20th. smdh.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I was going to be a pedant about the apostrophe, but it's right both ways. :v:

:doh: Please pedant away, it was entirely my fault! Although it is quite amusing to read it the other way.

In UKIP news, it's nice to see that they aren't wasting time in the Lords being utter loving morons

quote:

A UKIP peer has told the House of Lords about his fears of being arrested for reading the Bible out loud in public.

Lord Pearson of Rannoch, who briefly led UKIP and memorably forgot the contents of the party's 2010 general election manifesto, submitted a question to the Lords about the "risk that Christians could be recorded as having committed an anti-Muslim hate crime...by reading out loud sections of the Bible in public".

He added that he thought it was "brave" of David Cameron to say in his Christmas message that Jesus was the only son of God because "that won't have gone down all that well with the Islamists".

Lord Pearson was told by home office under-secretary Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon that he shouldn't worry about being arrested for reading the Bible because "it is not a crime". The UKIP peer then asked if he would be arrested if he "goes a little further" and "denies the supremacy of the Quran and thus the divinity of Allah".

"I assume the noble lord agrees that the serious hatred is coming from the jihadists against non-Muslims and against those brave Muslims who oppose the jihadists' evil creed and who form the large majority of the thousands they have slaughtered," said Lord Pearson.

"How can anyone be guilty of hate if they preach their own religion even outside a mosque and take part in a much-needed debate about Islam?"

Lord Ahmad told him that "bigotry has no place" in the UK, and reminded Lord Pearson that Muslims would not have a problem with him praising Jesus "because, as the noble lord knows, Muslims also regard and revere prophet Jesus as a prophet of God".

...oh.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Any thoughts?

Does it finally end our long national nightmare of cake abuse? Are we finally free of the horrors of Czech Neck? I'm just glad that FUKD & BOMBD's relentless lobbying has paid off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pork Pie Hat posted:

In UKIP news, it's nice to see that they aren't wasting time in the Lords being utter loving morons
Well the Lords said that I could read from the Bible in public, so I'm going to yell Titus 1:10-14 repeatedly at the top of my lungs outside of a Synagogue because I can't tell the difference between practicing a faith and being a piece of poo poo.
:ukipsay:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
This one girl. Took cake on a night out, vomited up her own pelvis. Imagine how her mother felt.

It's a loving disgrace.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Guavanaut posted:

Well the Lords said that I could read from the Bible in public, so I'm going to yell Titus 1:10-14 repeatedly at the top of my lungs outside of a Synagogue because I can't tell the difference between practicing a faith and being a piece of poo poo.
:ukipsay:

They should be restricted to Matthew 6 only in my view.

The Bible posted:

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Pork Pie Hat posted:

:doh: Please pedant away, it was entirely my fault! Although it is quite amusing to read it the other way.

...oh.

how the gently caress do ukip have a seat in the house of lords?

MikeCrotch posted:

This one girl. Took cake on a night out, vomited up her own pelvis. Imagine how her mother felt.

It's a loving disgrace.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Number 10 Has Just Denied That David Cameron Called Londoners “Rats”

quote:

David Cameron’s spokesman has denied that the PM called Londoners “rats” – saying Labour’s mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan was “hysterical” to suggest so.

Cameron was at a rally for Tory mayoral candidate Zac Goldsmith on Tuesday when he mentioned the rodents. The PM called on Londoners not to elect Khan as mayor, warning he would simply be a mouthpiece for Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. Here’s what Cameron said: “Just think what the first Corbyn-elected mayor would be like for our economy, for our city. You do not want to be lab rats in the first Corbyn economic experiment in public life.”

Khan then tweeted that he was “shocked” the PM had “described Londoners as rats”. But Number 10 poured scorn on Khan’s claims, describing his tweet as “hysterical”. A spokesman for Cameron told journalists: “I’m shocked at how desperate Sadiq Khan is. What the PM said is that he didn’t want Londoners to be treated as lab rats in a Corbyn experiment. “So it would be helpful if Sadiq Khan actually looked at what the PM said and didn’t issue hysterical tweets.”

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Helpful to who exactly? It's not as if it's Khan's job to help the Tories.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Puntification posted:

how the gently caress do ukip have a seat in the house of lords?

He was a Tory until 2007

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah i don't really see the controversy there actually. Thats a massive over reaction from Sadiq Khan and makes him look a bit of a tit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is one of the oldest and most effective tricks in politics. Every hack in the business has used it in times of trouble, and it has even been elevated to the level of political mythology in a story about one of Lyndon Johnson’s early campaigns in Texas. The race was close and Johnson was getting worried. Finally he told his campaign manager to start a massive rumor campaign about his opponent’s life-long habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his own barnyard sows.

“Christ, we can’t get a way calling him a pig-fucker,” the campaign manager protested. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.”

“I know,” Johnson replied. “But let’s make the sonofabitch deny it.”

Only this one does gently caress pigs, so they had to find something else for him to deny. :haw:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

ah ofc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Except he literally did call them that.

And if tweeting is hysterical overreaction then I would be happy to see david cameron not able to speak for more than a few hundred character at a time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

Except he literally did call them that.

And if tweeting is hysterical overreaction then I would be happy to see david cameron not able to speak for more than a few hundred character at a time.

Lab rats are different though?

If you just say rats unqualified the implication is sewer rats or ship rats. Lab rats have as much to do with these as the phrase "rat race" does, which is very little.

It was a massive overreaction.

e/ like if he'd used the word countrymen in an address and Khan accused him of calling people cunts.

Guavanaut makes a good point though, the validity of the complaint is immaterial.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 27, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

I hope you like wheat, oilseed rape and sugarbeets then.

Also, according to Wikipedia:

Dirty foreigners, comin' 'ere and eatin' arr food!

I prefer it when people get oilseeds consent

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's good to see David Cameron taking a principled stand on not quoting people out of context and I'm looking forward to him not doing that anymore when it comes to Corbyn.

Hang on, let's just check that speech to show Khan that Cameron would never misrepresent someone.

quote:

Never mind the fact he (Mr Corbyn) wants to give the Falklands back to Argentina or he thinks that nuclear submarines should patrol the Atlantic without any missiles.

:jerkbag:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Lab rats are different though?

If you just say rats unqualified the implication is sewer rats or ship rats. Lab rats have as much to do with these as the phrase "rat race" does, which is very little.

It was a massive overreaction.

e/ like if he'd used the word countrymen in an address and Khan accused him of calling people cunts.

Guavanaut makes a good point though, the validity of the complaint is immaterial.

I entirely agree that he may have meant it differently but it's literally in the tweet, and being overly literal for the sake of annoying tories is something I entirely agree with.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fair cop.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think I'd object more to being compared with a lab rat than just a rat in general, especially by the nominal leader of the country. Given the treatment and fate of many lab rats, I don't really like the implications.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My favourite thing today about politics was Cameron's speech accusing Sadiq Khan of being some kind of Corbyn mouthpiece... whilst Zac Goldsmith looks on quietly in the background, saying nothing.

The irony is hilarious.

Of course, no major press organ noticed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Corbyn is a leftist idiot who doesn't want the earth scoured of all life via nuclear hellfire. You cannot trust someone who doesn't want the earth scoured of all life via nuclear hellfire. Economy. Marxism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/01/the-new-tory-left-launches-and-challenges-future-leadership-candidates.html

:catstare: posted:

The name most associated with social justice in relation to the Conservative Party is that of Iain Duncan Smith.

If this is what SJWs are then I can understand why everyone complains about them.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

big scary monsters posted:

I think I'd object more to being compared with a lab rat than just a rat in general, especially by the nominal leader of the country. Given the treatment and fate of many lab rats, I don't really like the implications.

That's kind of the point of saying "You do not want to be lab rats in the first Corbyn economic experiment in public life", I assume.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/27/labour-economic-rock-stars-expose-tories-piketty

quote:

On Tuesday night, the economist of the Entrepreneurial State, Mariana Mazzucato, wondered, in the course of a brilliant inaugural lecture in a Labour-backed series of talks to fire up a conversation about the state and the economy, what food was necessary to turn timorous business folk from gerbils into lions.

Her answer is mission-oriented public investment, which sounds very much like rocket science until you realise that actually she is pointing at the way entrepreneurs very often ride off the back of state investment.

She argues that we need a way of recognising and talking about this unacknowledged role of the public sector, and points at the way Germany has tackled greening the economy. It’s not just building wind farms, it’s investing massively in research and technological development too.

My interest in Mazzucato’s lecture is not just in what she said, but that she said this in a Labour forum. John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, has persuaded most of the world’s rock star economists – Mazzucato herself, Thomas Piketty, Joseph Stiglitz and more – to go on tour with him around the UK to get the voters to #unlearn Labour. McDonnell promises to re-energise and maybe revolutionise thinking about the way the UK economy should work.

Tuesday night’s affair was held in the unbelievably well behaved surroundings of the Royal Institution in one of the priciest parts of London, so it was not exactly a gig, and it’s not quite a tour. But that’s the drift. It is a brilliant idea.

Labour, as Margaret Beckett pointed out in her unflabbergasting report on the election defeat, may have had 5 million conversations, but listening is one thing, leadership quite another. The party has not been so hot at persuading voters they know the answers to the economic crisis. That’s partly because Tories always do the narrative of austerity more convincingly than Labour, but it’s not the whole story. Framed for causing the recession, the party has sounded incapable of moving beyond the “Vote Labour and win a microwave” approach to rethinking the economy.

Cynics joke about Labour thinking it was right and it was the voters who were wrong. Obviously, voters are never wrong. But it is undeniable that not all of us has a perfect grasp of the economic options that might be open at any given moment.

After 30 years of a single, Thatcherite version of the proper relationship between the state and the economy, and seven years of blaming Labour for recession, resetting the narrative is going to be tough. Like a medieval city siege it will take a lot of heavy weaponry for the commanders, and a powerful sense of purpose for the troops.

But McDonnell has managed to recruit the heavy weaponry. True, Tuesday night’s event didn’t feel like a cross-section of an eager and engaged population, more a gathering of students and professors so grizzled they may have contributed to Harold Wilson’s defining speech about the white heat of technology back in 1963.

It is also true that neither Jeremy Corbyn, who was at last night’s lecture lolling in the front of the auditorium like a kid too cool for school, nor McDonnell – who hosted it – have the kind of earnest gravitas that John Smith and Gordon Brown brought to Labour’s economic strategy a generation ago.

All the same, the recovery is faltering. The Conservatives face exposure as a one-hit wonder. There is an echo in these days of the generational shift when Margaret Thatcher wrested control of the narrative from her reluctant one nation Tory party and blew up the post-war settlement.

And when it comes to the machinery needed to win a war of ideas, it doesn’t get much more powerful than Mariana Mazzucato and Thomas Piketty.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Is Corbyn a cat or dog person? Need to write my blog about how he is either possessed by the cat parasitic techno-virus or prefers submissive mewling creatures who won't fight back against his idiotic whims.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Blog nothing, send that incisive bad boy to the Guardian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jeremy Corbyn refuses to name his cat.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Ian Duncan Smith is the biggest SJW around by the actual meaning of 'social justice' and not the strawman 'social justice'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, I can see that, in the sense that it would be consistently preceded by "biggest obstacle to"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Jeremy Corbyn refuses to name his cat.

Ah I can explain. Corbyn is the cat's name but the cat has swapped places via the cat techno virus toxoplasma gondii. Do you want Britain ran by a leftist cat? A literal pussy? Stop this nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
The Mail, fearlessly asking the big questions of the day:

And blaming the NHS for something that is actually the responsibility of an outsourced, private company.

• Locked thread