Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

I've never mastered the use of knights :/

exactly; most of the times your opponent won't either, nor will they know how to defend against them, and then next thing you know you've got their rook and queen in a fork and they have to decide which they don't want to lose :twisted:

staplegun posted:

I play chess but have to admit Go is the better game because there's no Nuclear Tesuji (Throwing the Board Against the Wall Denting the Wall and the Board Prior to Uppercutting Your Opponent) in chess.

it was only a matter of time until someone posted about Go in a chess thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did that "ultimate warriors of history" show ever do a Medieval Knight vs. Samurai episode? how did that turn out?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

staplegun posted:

I play chess but have to admit Go is the better game because there's no Nuclear Tesuji (Throwing the Board Against the Wall Denting the Wall and the Board Prior to Uppercutting Your Opponent) in chess.

dude they just mentioned chess boxing like 3 posts above you

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I'm gonna play a game of chess accepting all challengers: http://lichess.org/eoXiSkOs

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

satanic splash-back posted:

A Samurai would totally destroy a Knight anyway.

getting tired of hearing this when it was disproved on both The Deadliest Warrior and Mythbusters

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Applewhite posted:

Did that "ultimate warriors of history" show ever do a Medieval Knight vs. Samurai episode? how did that turn out?

the knight won easy. peace of poo poo samurai had bad steel for their katanas. something milennials otakus don't seem to know about history. late gen x'er here myself who knows whats what

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Grandmother of Five posted:

the knight won easy. peace of poo poo samurai had bad steel for their katanas. something milennials otakus don't seem to know about history. late gen x'er here myself who knows whats what

That's what I figured. Seems like they're swords would shatter on the knight's plate armor, and the knight's larger, heavier sword would just blow through any defense a samurai could put up, even with superior speed.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
knights were so hardcore that a guy with a sword would have to bludgeon them with the handle to hurt past all that armor. tank indeed

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Nothing chess is a boring game with limited possibilities that a machine can predict and figure out way ahead of you.

Chess is garbage.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
live action chess rts

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
simpsons made fun of the idea back in the episode with the teacher strike op you're late to the game

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Neurosis posted:

simpsons made fun of the idea back in the episode with the teacher strike op you're late to the game

I was thinking of that exact scene when I made the thread. Only in the Simpsons the joke was that anyone can lose multiple games of chess at once, whereas my argument was that winning multiple games at once was no more impressive than winning multiple consecutive games.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Applewhite posted:

I was thinking of that exact scene when I made the thread. Only in the Simpsons the joke was that anyone can lose multiple games of chess at once, whereas my argument was that winning multiple games at once was no more impressive than winning multiple consecutive games.

it was satire of the trope that multiple chess games = genius, bart losing was just in character given he's a dumbass

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bobert Bobertson posted:

knights were so hardcore that a guy with a sword would have to bludgeon them with the handle to hurt past all that armor. tank indeed

Chess players should have the option of fielding a knight counter piece that wields a mace.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Chess players should have the option of fielding a knight counter piece that wields a mace.

that already exists and is called a Bishop :smug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

that already exists and is called a Bishop :smug:

No bishops' weapons are their holy spells and trick shepherds' crooks.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
when will a morale/disease/revolt mechanic be implemented, i want full realism in chess!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Applewhite posted:

They should do east vs. west chess where each side has different but balanced move sets.

Chess should be more like Starcraft.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

mainland europe was a much harasher pvp enivorment than the isle nation of the samurai. there's a scientific word for it, but i forget what it is, it's like the retarded birds of the galapagos isle and the giant turtles that died instantly when Christopher Columbus discovered them and looked on them, Island people evolve in stupud ways because there aren't any top notch enemies around, just giant turtles and big fat flightless birds, and in Japan's case; defenseless peasants. knioghts = much war against competing mainland europe + muslims int eh crusades = evolve insanely good combat skills and technology. samurai = killed peasants who looked at thier emperor wrong, and its the culture as well, like they didn't even evolve bad rear end freeform poetry but had to write in haiku which is a typical example of galapagos island style of idiot dead-end evolution and why asian music is the worst of all music even today

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

Chess should be more like Starcraft.

Right? I should have the option to train more units if I harvest enough resources.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You Must Construct Additional Pawns

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Right? I should have the option to train more units if I harvest enough resources.

that's what happens when you get pawns to the other side of the board, duder

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Grandmother of Five posted:

mainland europe was a much harasher pvp enivorment than the isle nation of the samurai. there's a scientific word for it, but i forget what it is, it's like the retarded birds of the galapagos isle and the giant turtles that died instantly when Christopher Columbus discovered them and looked on them, Island people evolve in stupud ways because there aren't any top notch enemies around, just giant turtles and big fat flightless birds, and in Japan's case; defenseless peasants. knioghts = much war against competing mainland europe + muslims int eh crusades = evolve insanely good combat skills and technology. samurai = killed peasants who looked at thier emperor wrong, and its the culture as well, like they didn't even evolve bad rear end freeform poetry but had to write in haiku which is a typical example of galapagos island style of idiot dead-end evolution and why asian music is the worst of all music even today

The pentive scale can kiss my larger-than-average gaijin dick.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

that's what happens when you get pawns to the other side of the board, duder

No the pawn metamorphosizes into a different piece, the total number of pieces on the board remains the same.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i like how hollywood karate fights are like this chess idea where the protagonist gets to fight one person at a time while the others wait patiently for their turn to be punched or kicked

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

I don't know about that. Gotta keep track of all those pieces. Would also be hard to play chess over a matter of weeks.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

EngineerSean posted:

I don't know about that. Gotta keep track of all those pieces. Would also be hard to play chess over a matter of weeks.

But each time you see the board you're reminded of where all the pieces are.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Whats with the timer poo poo? I mean, you can't speedrun chess, its a pvp game, it makes no sense!

Put them on the clock and I'll chew their rear end up

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

Put them on the clock and I'll chew their rear end up

Did Deadmau5 hex you or something?

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
fantasy settings where east/west collide should end with neo-cowboy americans chuggin on trainmechs + making GBS threads up their chivalry and bushido.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

I don't understand the timer or the point system. Like, is it possible to capture the opponent's king, but for him to still win the game on a technicality? If not, why track the points?

The timer is so you don't take forever and a day thinking about your next move and making everyone want to kill themselves.

The point of multiple games being difficult is because you'd have to juggle multiple strategies as to win at chess you have to think at least a few moves ahead of what is happening and work out possible permutations of what your opponent will do in response.

The points just value the units so you can clearly see exchanging a rook for a bishop is advantageous to one player.

Hidden mechanics are the truest measure of skill. Only the newbies believe everything is presented to the player. Like, castling is bullshit, because you only know about the move because somebody told you.

just wait until someone uses 'en passant' on you

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 29, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FishionMailed posted:

The timer is so you don't take forever and a day thinking about your next move and making everyone want to kill themselves.

The point of multiple games being difficult is because you'd have to juggle multiple strategies as to win at chess you have to think at least a few moves ahead of what is happening and work out possible permutations of what your opponent will do in response.

The points just value the units so you can clearly see exchanging a rook for a bishop is advantageous to one player.

So if the timer runs out does the player forfeit the game/turn?

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

So if the timer runs out does the player forfeit the game/turn?

if you run out of time, you lose the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
now, if you could play multiple STARCRAFT games at the same time, i would be extremely impressed

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FishionMailed posted:

if you run out of time, you lose the game.

Harsh. So the trick would be to make a move so complex, that your opponent runs out of time thinking about how to counter it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lol you fags are still playing chess 1?

http://ludemegames.com/chess2/

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Did Deadmau5 hex you or something?

someone buy him an avatar with backwards text to make things really confusing

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So I've tried to deduce the narrative of chess from context and here's what I've come up with:

Two nations of equivalent power have gone to war over a petty disagreement between the queens. The queen, as you can see, wields the greatest power on the board while the king is doddering and ineffectual. He's obviously not interested in being there and this war is being pushed for by his wife.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Applewhite posted:

So I've tried to deduce the narrative of chess from context and here's what I've come up with:

Two nations of equivalent power have gone to war over a petty disagreement between the queens. The queen, as you can see, wields the greatest power on the board while the king is doddering and ineffectual. He's obviously not interested in being there and this war is being pushed for by his wife.

its about blacks vs whites stupid

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Parallax Scroll posted:

its about blacks vs whites stupid

Dubious, as the Moors in the fifteenth century would not have fielded an army with identical equipment and disposition to that of a European army. This is obviously about two European kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bobert Bobertson posted:

plus they tended to be cavalry with heavy lances so I mean lol samurai

• Locked thread