Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crow_Rodeo posted:

"Holes" like seriously, no, it's garbage.

holes is not a high school level book, it's like fifth grade level

it's also good, unlike its sequel, which is fall from grace ya trash

radiatinglines posted:

My senior English teacher in hs was obsessed with Faulkner to the point of growing the same moustache and entering competitions for aping his writing style. Faulkner is good, though. The stream of consciousness chapters in the sound and the fury are the only ones in that style that haven't felt like a chore to read to me.

i like his short stories better, they have that almost dark comedy cynical bite but they aren't five hundred pages of it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

I had no idea atlas shrugged was assigned reading anywhere, what the gently caress?

https://www.aynrand.org/educators/free-books-high-school

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot about "a separate peace" about two dumb gay white boys at boarding school where the kid dies from being a little bitch after falling out of a tree.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i remember Love Medicine being long as gently caress but it was pretty good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The best novel for young people, like fourth grade to middle school, is kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

It has it all, good god drat I love that book

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I forgot about "a separate peace" about two dumb gay white boys at boarding school where the kid dies from being a little bitch after falling out of a tree.

a beta bitch bounced him off the tree and crippled him because he was jealous actually

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

a beta bitch bounced him off the tree and crippled him because he was jealous actually

I thought he died from a fat embolism or something?

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

radiatinglines posted:

I had no idea atlas shrugged was assigned reading anywhere, what the gently caress?

Catholic high school in NYC. Go figure.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I thought he died from a fat embolism or something?

he dies from a bone shard from this gimpy limbs travelling to his heart

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Catholic high school in NYC. Go figure.

american catholics are so weird and poo poo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

god, tell me about it. i got sent to the vice principal's office for drawing an Iron Maiden logo in my 7th grade religion workbook

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*believes the sermon on the mount and objectivism arent cosmic oposites*

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It seems like everyone knew the characters in A Separate Peace were gay except for the author.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Helical Nightmares posted:

Edit: Oh Heathcliff! Oh gently caress you, get railed.

I wanna rail heathcliff

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

the culminator posted:

Thats not the scarlett letter

I read that in Jr. High, it wasn't as bad as the book we read after it, The Black Pearl.

Worst from High School would have to be the novel one of the science teacher's at the school wrote about how giant scorpions and insects take over the Earth. They came to rule the future because environmentalists went too far and created a clean air machine that over oxygenated the Earth's atmosphere so all in invertebrates got huge and then we nuked them and made them super smart.

Weird thing is the teacher that wrote is was HUGELY against marijuana or any other drug use.

I took an F on the project because the book report I did for it was just echoing my dad's very valid and borderline vulgar criticisms of the book after I read some of it out loud to him when he asked me why i wasn't reading my book for class.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mdm posted:

I wanna rail heathcliff
heathcliff, heathcliff, no one should

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orkin Mang posted:

Repression, homophobia & guilt are the cornerstones of our religion.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Repression, homophobia & guilt are the cornerstones of our religion.

I had a Sunday school teacher that wanted us to feel guilty about our thought sins.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Three Cups of Tea by the now disgraced Greg Mortenson

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
The Alchemist was the stupidest book I've ever read. It's a whole book that's the author masturbating about how "deep" they are.

Edit: Their Eyes Were Watching God was pretty awful too because every character was dumb and naive stretched to the point of absurdity

turbomoose fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 1, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I went to a public, suburban high school in New England. Every summer our english department would try to assign "current" and "relevant" readings for young adults (aka Dave Eggers and John Green)

Zeitoun was actually a pretty good book, but the year we read it was also the year Zeitoun (the protagonist of the non-fiction novel) was arrested for being a crazy wifebeater. Kind of dampened the emotional impact of the book.

On the other hand, The Fault in Our Stars was terrible and i'm still kind of mad I had to read it. It's like everything i hate about young-adult fiction distilled into one insufferable novel

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Walden. Oh I grow beans but buy everything I need at the store and I don't want to pay taxes. Big deal.

The kid in Hatchet was way cooler.

e: neither of these were actually high school.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 1, 2016

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Now I'm trying to think what I would have thought of DFW in high school. Not like Infinite Jest, but a short story from Oblivion or something. I probably wouldn't have liked it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Elements of style

No loving or killing and i couldnt cum to it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Buncha real dumb goon opinions in here hating on Gatsby. It's a classic for a reason. Also awesome; The Count of Monte Cristo. That book fuckin' rocked.

yeah hearing all these people hate on gatsby is pretty weird, i thought it was way better than a lot of the poo poo i had to read for international baccalaureate

are goons dumb? :O

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Gatsby is good but I feel like The Big Sleep is thematically similar and a much better novel. Chandler is never read in schools for some reason deapite undeniable influence on american storytelling.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Gatsby was good.

Now please write 300 words about the symbolism of the eyes in the billboard.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
do schools assign beat authors anymore

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nooneofconsequence posted:

Now please write 300 words about the symbolism of the eyes in the billboard.
weren't they representative of God or some bullshit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also whoever said Nectar in a Sieve, you were right. the only cool parts when one of her kids dies or there's famine or whatever are talked about in the simplest of terms, while an entire page is devoted to explaining what the crop harvest yielded. it may only be 180 pages but that's still far too long.

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

Great Expectations

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

For real I stole an interpretation of the Great Gatsby billboard from Johnny Depp in an episode of 21 Jump Street. My teacher liked it. She also repeated to another class my theory about the Metamorphosis being an allegory about familial incestual abuse.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gigawhite posted:

For real I stole an interpretation of the Great Gatsby billboard from Johnny Depp in an episode of 21 Jump Street. My teacher liked it. She also repeated to another class my theory about the Metamorphosis being an allegory about familial incestual abuse.
is Metamorphosis any good? i don't really know if you can make a story about a dude turning into a giant bug anything but awesome.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Dad shoves a broomstick up Gregor Samsa's cockroach rear end don't tell me that's all there is to it

symbolic posted:

is Metamorphosis any good? i don't really know if you can make a story about a dude turning into a giant bug anything but awesome.

It's a good book but based on the premise you would think he would do some crazy cockroach stunts. It's like if spiderman spent the entire time in his room and passed away from dehydration

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 1, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gazpacho posted:

do schools assign beat authors anymore

My 10th grade English teacher assigned On The Road. The jocks loving hated it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

symbolic posted:

weren't they representative of God or some bullshit

Please support your argument with references from the text.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My 10th grade English teacher assigned On The Road. The jocks loving hated it.

You had a good English teacher. When you get a chance, try finding a copy of the scroll.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nooneofconsequence posted:

Please support your argument with references from the text.
*cites entire text

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I also echo that Gatsby is a good book, gently caress ya'll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I sorta liked The Sun Also Rises when we were doing it in class and then I read it again a couple years ago and dropped it after like 50 pages. I do not have afición.

• Locked thread