Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

If I activate a used device on my line and my line has Wireless Phone Protection (WPP) on it for the previously activated device, will coverage extend to the new device? Or should I cancel WPP so I'm not paying 5.18/mo for insurance that doesn't cover anything?

It does transfer to the new phone automatically, whether you keep it or not is your call. Keep in mind for most new smartphones it will to $7.50 (the newer standard rate). The replacement cost for any claims is either $160 or $199 depending on the value of your phone.

Overall, the math is that if you are someone who takes care of your phone, it tends to be cheaper not to have it. But if you're tough on the phone, or work a job like construction, it can help there for sure.

Keep in mind WPP covers accidents, including loss, but does not extend the warranty. If you want warranty extension TEC is $9 and includes warranty. The difference is in the 2nd year if your screen is defective Verizon sends you a replacement phone.

Most replacement phones are refurbished. Mileage varies, some of them are fine, some definitely show issues.

One last thing: Warranty replacement is through Verizon, accidental is through Asurion. For both, if they don't have the phone, they send you one model newer. That again is very much luck of the draw, but i have seen customers with a phone like the Maxx 1 get sent a Turbo 2 because there was nothing else. I wouldn't say that happens often though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What's the best way to avoid a restocking fee?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

What's the best way to avoid a restocking fee?

Keep the phone.

You can always ask and throw a fit, but I wouldn't expect it. Unless you add a line or something. Or buy a lot of accessories.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Hello,
i have a verizon iPhone 5S that I would like to take with me to the country of Peru. I was looking at prepaid international SIM cards, and want to be assured of this solution. The phone needs to be unlocked, which the internet tells me the 5S came so unlocked, but it is of note this handset was obtained through the Edge program.

The model A1533 CDMA iPhone seems to support the proper EDGE/GSM and LTE bands, if the website GSMArena.com is to be believed.

I would also be accepting of recommendations for the SIM card/service, noting that I only need service for one week, and that I'd prefer to obtain it ahead of time rather than finding something when I get down there.

Thank you

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Milkman posted:

Hello,
i have a verizon iPhone 5S that I would like to take with me to the country of Peru. I was looking at prepaid international SIM cards, and want to be assured of this solution. The phone needs to be unlocked, which the internet tells me the 5S came so unlocked, but it is of note this handset was obtained through the Edge program.

The model A1533 CDMA iPhone seems to support the proper EDGE/GSM and LTE bands, if the website GSMArena.com is to be believed.

I would also be accepting of recommendations for the SIM card/service, noting that I only need service for one week, and that I'd prefer to obtain it ahead of time rather than finding something when I get down there.

Thank you

The phone is unlocked.

I have no idea what carriers in Peru are good. But any SIM service should work in that part of the country with your phone.

Verizon would charge you $10 a day, or $70, to use your plan (call/text/data) abroad. Not cheap, but if you are feeling lazy you could do that.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Duckman2008 posted:

The phone is unlocked.

I have no idea what carriers in Peru are good. But any SIM service should work in that part of the country with your phone.

Verizon would charge you $10 a day, or $70, to use your plan (call/text/data) abroad. Not cheap, but if you are feeling lazy you could do that.

I am lazy, but they don't seem to offer that travelpass deal for Peru, only pay as you go, that would've been perfect though.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
A search on http://www.willmyphonework.net/ says it should work on at least 4 of the carriers.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

waffle iron posted:

A search on http://www.willmyphonework.net/ says it should work on at least 4 of the carriers.

This is a good resource that I have now bookmarked

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I am looking at brining my own device to Verizon, and I'm wondering how corporate discounts through them work - my employer offers 20% off, is that only on the data package? Or is it 20% off the per-line access fee as well?

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I am looking at brining my own device to Verizon, and I'm wondering how corporate discounts through them work - my employer offers 20% off, is that only on the data package? Or is it 20% off the per-line access fee as well?

If it works like the employee discount, the access fee is included.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Short version: no, that's not right. Only the "data bucket" part gets the discount.

Words are important here. Old plans had per-line access fees (where for family plans the primary line had a fee of, say, $60 and all other lines had fees of $10) and per-line data packages (usually $30 for each line). Newer plans (those with a shared data bucket) have an "account access fee" and one or more "line fees". The following is old (pre-2012-sh) plans in the first sentence, current plans in the second sentence, exceptions in the third:

quote:

General discount qualifications, unless otherwise noted, apply to plan monthly access fees of $34.99 or higher, and data features of $24.99 or higher, when added to a plan of $34.99 or higher. On plans with separate account and line fees, discounts apply only to the Account Access fees. Prepaid, already discounted and promotional plans are not eligible for discounts through this program.

So no, in the case of a new account,, the line fee wouldn't get a discount.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 18, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Verizon changed their pre paid phone policy on the exact day I try to put a post paid sim in a pre paid phone
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/40tsbo/changes_to_4g_prepaid_phones/

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

The Human Cow posted:

Anyway, I've been looking into selling my unlimited account on eBay through an AOL. I know that they tried to put a stop to this a little while back, but it looks like they're still going for anywhere from $400 to $800, so I guess the corporate account-only limitation isn't affecting the market too much. If I decide to go this route, would the person who assumes my account assume the remainder of my contract as well, or does my account's contact make it more difficult/impossible to do? What does the process look like for doing something like this? Here's what I've got in my head - am I super far off?

1) Sign up for an account at T-Mobile. Port both of our numbers (this is the part I'm most confused about.
2) Remove my wife from my account at Verizon
3) Sell Verizon account on eBay
4) Enjoy an extra $500 right before Christmas

For step 1, what happens to the phone number on my account at Verizon? Is there an extra step in there that I need to take? Is this a good idea at all, or should I just not worry about it and wait things out until July when we're both off contract?

Just for posterity and in case anybody needs to do something similar, this still works. I paid $20 to transfer my number to Google Voice, but 8 hours after initiating the port I used the VZW website to generate a new number for my line. After 24 hours, the number I wanted to keep was on Google Voice, and my Verizon account had my wife's line and my unlimited line with a new number. We were able to sign up for a new T-Mobile account, port her number from Verizon and mine from Google Voice, and then I was able to sell my account on eBay once her line dropped off of it. It took the buyer a couple of calls, but he successfully assumed my unlimited account and the rest of my contract.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
If I purchase a Verizon Moto E from Best Buy, will it work on my regular postpaid Verizon account? I'm looking to use a dirt cheap phone as a GPS unit / actual telephone on my motorcycle instead of putting my Nexus 6P in harms way.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ninmeister posted:

If I purchase a Verizon Moto E from Best Buy, will it work on my regular postpaid Verizon account? I'm looking to use a dirt cheap phone as a GPS unit / actual telephone on my motorcycle instead of putting my Nexus 6P in harms way.

Not anymore, unless you use it as a Prepaid phone for 1 month, I think.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Correct

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Well isn't that a bag of dicks.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Use it for 1 month or just pay the money for 1 month to them?

"Device remains locked until first month’s payment is made on their Prepaid plan.
Device is unlocked automatically upon successful first month’s payment and can be used on Postpaid plan (new SIM or SIM swap). "

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

king of the bongo posted:

Use it for 1 month or just pay the money for 1 month to them?

"Device remains locked until first month’s payment is made on their Prepaid plan.
Device is unlocked automatically upon successful first month’s payment and can be used on Postpaid plan (new SIM or SIM swap). "

For some reason I had 6 months stuck in my head. One month isn't poo poo. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

For some reason I had 6 months stuck in my head. One month isn't poo poo. Thanks!

It used to be that prepaid phones had to be on prepaid service for 6 months. Now it's 1. Not perfect, but slightly better.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I will be in Japan for the first week of February and am trying to figure out how I can use my phone cheaply over there or if that is even possible (to use it cheaply that is). I have a Droid Turbo. I've got unlimited talk/text with 15gb shared data.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

I will be in Japan for the first week of February and am trying to figure out how I can use my phone cheaply over there or if that is even possible (to use it cheaply that is). I have a Droid Turbo. I've got unlimited talk/text with 15gb shared data.

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Edit: on the subject of whether it's cheaper to get a burner SIM vs global roaming plans, no clue.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

waffle iron posted:

Edit: on the subject of whether it's cheaper to get a burner SIM vs global roaming plans, no clue.

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. I know the phone will work but how do I do that without having to file for bankruptcy when I get back. ;) Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. I know the phone will work but how do I do that without having to file for bankruptcy when I get back. ;) Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.

Buy a local SIM card that works on one of those networks?

Falco fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 25, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

It used to be that prepaid phones had to be on prepaid service for 6 months. Now it's 1. Not perfect, but slightly better.

Yeah just 1 month. Bought a $30 prepay card from Best Buy, activated, and then swapped SIMs no problem.

$30 kind of sucks when it used to be "free" if you did it right. But now you don't have to worry about "locking" the prepaid phone because you accidentally powered on with the prepaid SIM anymore. Also it is more "official" now vs. an unadvertised hack.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah just 1 month. Bought a $30 prepay card from Best Buy, activated, and then swapped SIMs no problem.

$30 kind of sucks when it used to be "free" if you did it right. But now you don't have to worry about "locking" the prepaid phone because you accidentally powered on with the prepaid SIM anymore. Also it is more "official" now vs. an unadvertised hack.

Wait, I can just buy the WiFi only 30 dollar thing and immediately swap in my postpaid sim, or do you have to wait a month after being activated on prepaid?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ninmeister posted:

Wait, I can just buy the WiFi only 30 dollar thing and immediately swap in my postpaid sim, or do you have to wait a month after being activated on prepaid?

I popped in a post-paid SIM a few days after paying and activating a prepaid account with no problems.

If I take that pre-paid SIM which is still active and pop it into another prepaid Moto E, does anyone know if that phone get unlocked as well?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

I popped in a post-paid SIM a few days after paying and activating a prepaid account with no problems.

If I take that pre-paid SIM which is still active and pop it into another prepaid Moto E, does anyone know if that phone get unlocked as well?

I doubt it, it probably is one time per SIM. No way to know without trying though I guess.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I have one of those Moto E that Best Buy had on sale for $5 around X-mas that I had not opened yet, I can throw the SIM in there if you want to try it...

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I have 2 extra Moto Es laying around (extra Android devices are always handy!). I just put the prepaid SIM into the other Moto E and it works, but I don't have a post-paid Verizon SIM right now to try and I don't want to borrow a family member's post-paid SIM since I already hotlined their account once and it took an hour for tech support to figure out what to do

I just figured that it's less of a "you need one month of prepay service for the device" and more of a "get that prepaid phone activated on the network, and the 1 month $30 plan is the cheapest way to do that" thing since I was able to swap pre and post-paid SIMs almost instantly

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The time is wrong on my phone by ten minutes anyone know how to update?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

The time is wrong on my phone by ten minutes anyone know how to update?

Toggle auto set time on and off, airplane mode off and on, keep trying things like that until it hits. If it's an iPhone reset network settings. Worst case swap sim in store.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I assume (hopefully correctly) that Verizon gives zero fucks how many times I swap sims between phones?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

I assume (hopefully correctly) that Verizon gives zero fucks how many times I swap sims between phones?

Yes.

On that question: has anyone here swapped nano SIM from iPhone to Android or vice Versa? They're technically supposed to be different SIMs (NFC for Android, non NFC for iPhone) but I was curious if it still worked.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes.

On that question: has anyone here swapped nano SIM from iPhone to Android or vice Versa? They're technically supposed to be different SIMs (NFC for Android, non NFC for iPhone) but I was curious if it still worked.

Well I'm glad to see that Verizon finally joined the rest of the goddamn cell phone world. Sprint is forever doomed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes.

Yes, I swap pretty often between an iPhone 6s and a Nexus 5x. The SIM originally came from the iPhone.

The whole deal about the "NFC SIM" was only that the SIM included a secure element for Softcard/ISIS. Since that is no longer a thing, it doesn't matter anyway. Neither Android Pay nor Apple Pay requires a secure element on your SIM.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes.

I went from a Nano issued with my 5 > Droid Maxx > Nokia Lumia Icon > 5S > LG G3 > Nexus 6 > 6.

Never had an issue.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
So I moved to an address that has poo poo Verizon reception. Wifi is fine, though. Can I set up Google Voice to be able to take phone calls and receive regular text messages? Is there a good primer somewhere?

edit: iPhone 6

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

So I moved to an address that has poo poo Verizon reception. Wifi is fine, though. Can I set up Google Voice to be able to take phone calls and receive regular text messages? Is there a good primer somewhere?

Google voice does not use data for calling. Call verizon and ask for a network extender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

idiotsavant posted:

It would appear that Verizon has enabled WiFi calling for iPhones (I know it did for my S6 in late December/early Jan, don't remember precisely). Maybe turn on Advanced Calling (not sure if that's required or not, but it would make sense).

• Locked thread