Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

kapparomeo posted:

We shouldn't be encouraging it either way, whether it be medics who just chuck some pills at a patient to be done with him quickly or patients who are absolutely certain that their runny nose is really Bloaty Head because they read it on a website once and demand a full treatment course or they'll scream the place out.

I agree entirely, but there's a distressingly high number of people who just won't be told.

I'm glad that you were able to catch your problem, but that's not the same situation - a persistent cough is different from someone having a first snort of sniffles and being convinced they've contracted Mega-AIDS.

"A part of the bourgeoisie is desirous of redressing social grievances in order to secure the continued existence of bourgeois society. To this section belong economists, philanthropists, humanitarians, improvers of the condition of the working class, organisers of charity, members of societies for the prevention of cruelty to animals, temperance fanatics, hole-and-corner reformers of every imaginable kind."
-The Communist Manifesto, Chapter 3.

"If it is a question of seeking formal contradictions, then obviously we must do so on the side of the White Terror, which is the weapon of classes which consider themselves “Christian,” patronize idealist philosophy, and are firmly convinced that the individuality (their own) is an end-in-itself. As for us, we were never concerned with the Kantian-priestly and vegetarian-Quaker prattle about the “sacredness of human life.”"
-A Reply to Karl Kautsky, Chapter 4.

Energy spent on advocating animal rights is energy uselessly squandered that could have been used for Revolution, dear Comrade.

I'm neither vegetarian nor a member of the RSPCA you retarded piece of poo poo. You meanwhile, are a slavery-apologist neo-imperialist piece of subhuman garbage.

Go jump in a tank of pig slurry and do the world a favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

Just because it doesn't help a narrative doesn't mean that people don't abuse the urgency system. I mean I don't particularly care if people do that assuming the GPs can handle all their urgent appointments but whereas benefit scrounging in the one in a million chance where it does happen is a basically victimless crime (assuming you aren't someone who needs to eat pennies to live), overloading your already-overworked-and-underpaid GP with bed-rest treatable illnesses is slightly more harmful a) as it increases the chance your GP could get sick with something that can't be treated and b) may well bump one of those 'it's probably nothing and I don't want to be a bother' people off of the waiting list because there were no appointments any time soon and hey, I'll probably be better soon.

Then they lose their legs to diabetes.

What then Robot? WHAT THEN

The solution to this is an expansion of services, not casting a stern look at hypochondriacs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

The solution to this is an expansion of services, not casting a stern look at hypochondriacs.

Well of course, but I'm not in charge of the Department of Health right now Robot!! In fact I'm not even in charge of anything health-related.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm neither vegetarian nor a member of the RSPCA you retarded piece of poo poo. You meanwhile, are a slavery-apologist neo-imperialist piece of subhuman garbage.

Dude chill. He is right that some people dont understand that certain things, like the common cold, dont need doctors and will very likely go away after 3 days. Id only say that it would be good to spread this knowledge as much as possible and fund the NHS well enough that it can accomodate those people without breaking it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not even in control of my posting whooooaaaaaaaaa *crashes out of wall of thread and into GBS*

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Jesus loving Christ

My wife is American and her mother died a few years ago from breast cancer. While she was alive and undergoing treatment, I was visiting at their place in Colorado and helped my FiL set up a spreadsheet to track the medical expenses. He was a senior manager at a big defence contractor, basically one step below director level, and he had gold plated insurance from his work - this was pre ACA. He was paying in the region of $20k a year in premiums deducted from his salary. On top of that he'd paid about 30k in co-pays for various procedures up to that point. On top of that, he'd also had to pay out of pocket for about 750k of stuff that the insurance wouldn't cover anymore because the insurance had refused to pay for it. All of this was money he had to pay or his wife would die, none of it was elective, none of it was for stuff that hadn't been signed off as medically necessary by a doctor. He had to sell his RV, his boat, his quad bikes (he didn't spend a lot of money on stuff but he liked his outdoor toys) and remortgage his house. Just because his wife lost the cancer lottery. He was 'lucky' because he had assets to sell and some savings to pour into that hole. If he hadn't had a way to come up with about 800k in cash, then his choices would have been all about how fast he wanted his wife to die.

Remember also that in the US, if you file for bankruptcy, health care bills still need to be paid in full afterwards. Health care costs were the number one driver of bankruptcies in the US, and declaring bankruptcy doesn't discharge your obligations to pay them.

I'll take two weeks to see my over-worked and underpaid GP over that kind of actively evil fuckery.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

It wouldn't matter even if you were though, because the original intent of that statement for all groups only refers to people who are "A part of the bourgeoisie"
Otherwise it would also cover members of the working class who seek to improve the condition of the working class.

And if you are then I think you have a list somewhere you can add your name.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its also worth pointing out that healthcare costs with insurance are also far and away the biggest reason for bankruptcy in the US.

There is the rather odd attitude they take to drugs too. i've dislocated my shoulder here and in the US. Here I got IV morphine and midazolam and they popped it back in when I could barely feel anything. In the US they used force to get it back in then wrote me a prescription for percocet that i really did not need instead. Thats not including having to pay for having it x-rayed and popped back in which was cheaper than it might have been because I was able to go to a clinic instead of A&E

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Dude chill. He is right

"kapparomeo is right" - seaside loafer 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not even in control of my posting whooooaaaaaaaaa *crashes out of wall of thread and into GBS*

God loving dammit tess have you been drinking

I'm not arguing with you if you've been drinking

Because I haven't and I'd feel at a disadvantage.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

In a related note im going to be spending tommorow morning in an actual live 999 NHS call reciever place in a systems analyst capacity. I didnt want to go cos I didnt want to bother them and I think I know their system already but my jerkoff toryboy collegue booked it anyway so i might as well now but it will be interesting im sure. If there is anything interesting to post i'll post it tommorow night.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No I've had to severely cut back on my drinking since 150-170 units / week was technically killing me. Also literally killing me.

I'm posting like this because I didn't fall asleep until 4:10 this morning and had to get up at 10 to 8. Felt bad yo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yikes. Sleep deprivation is the actual worst :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:hf: nosleep buddy

I find the best solution is wait in bed until you can sleep more make sure to eat, it doesn't stop you feeling lovely but it can really take the edge off to get breakfast and have something in your stomach for the day. I can manage a few days on 2 hours a night so long as I have food, without I crash after a day or so.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
The system here in the US could be insane at (all) times. Hospitals realize actual humans can't afford insurance prices, and will knock off a big portion of the bill if you weren't insured (dunno if this applies post ACA). They also usually have a fund to help people with bills if they can't afford it. I had a week long stay in a psych ward/meds/transport written off by the Catholic hospital I was at.

Having insurance automatically made you intelligible, so at times being uninsured was better than being insured. Excluding anything chronic, but your insurance would try to weasel out of that too.

:911:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah which is why medical co-pays are a bad idea. if minor self-policing of not running to the gp every time you get the sniffles is too much, your other option is forking over 10 quid each time.

No the other option is properly funding the NHS so there are enough resources in place for people to get seen and triaged, not putting financial penalties in place so people don't seek early treatment

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

baka kaba posted:

No the other option is properly funding the NHS so there are enough resources in place for people to get seen and triaged, not putting financial penalties in place so people don't seek early treatment

what do you do in the interim -- training doctors and building hospitals takes a long time to get started? triage in a public system relies on some degree of self-triage, namely not demanding antibiotics when you have a cold and not faking urgency when you know it's not required.

e: and even in a properly funded system for various reasons you can have a shortage of resources: for example, the supply of certain drugs occasionally have production issues and then you are faced with figuring out a way to deal w/ that and it isn't just dispensing it to everyone who asks

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

what do you do in the interim -- training doctors and building hospitals takes a long time to get started? triage in a public system relies on some degree of self-triage, namely not demanding antibiotics when you have a cold and not faking urgency when you know it's not required.

Maintain that early treatment is better because that will probably save more lives than encouraging people to self-diagnose, accept that underfunding, as always, has and will continue to cost lives.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
This is making me feel even more conflicted about whether I should go to the doctor about the weird lump that appeared in my mouth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is making me feel even more conflicted about whether I should go to the doctor about the weird lump that appeared in my mouth.

Go to the doctor.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

kapparomeo posted:

We shouldn't be encouraging it either way, whether it be medics who just chuck some pills at a patient to be done with him quickly or patients who are absolutely certain that their runny nose is really Bloaty Head because they read it on a website once and demand a full treatment course or they'll scream the place out.

You've pivoted here from "people shouldn't go to their GP unless it's really serious" (potentially dangerous as it assumes that the average person can tell what's serious) to "people shouldn't demand inappropriate treatments from their GP" which I think we can all agree with.

You might've seen this post floating round Facebook but it's a pretty good argument against amateur diagnosis. Whether you think that rash on your leg is probably nothing or you're convinced your headache is cancer, "don't consult a doctor" is generally not a recommended course of action.

I mean I do understand the "don't go unless it's serious" mindset to a certain extent: I'm young and active and through a combination of that and very good fortune haven't had to see a doctor in about a decade. If I were more prone to serious illness though I'd be way more likely to head to the doc's if I was feeling a little under the weather, and I'm not going to criticise others for doing that even if some of them are annoying hypochondriacs.

e: I guess the corollary to "go to the loving doctor" is "listen to the loving doctor".

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

OwlFancier posted:

Go to the doctor.

Go to the doctor for weird lumps. 100%

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if it means they call in a junior to come and have a go with your bollocks. You still feel better afterwards (and also don't die of cancer as much)

Though I guess if you're offered a urethroscopy (or whatever they called) I do not recommend that procedure it is very unpleasant.

CT scan is fun though.

ITT post reviews of medical procedures.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 1, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hookerbot 5000 posted:

pop it and see what happens imo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Go to the doctor. Vastly better to find out it's some normal benign thing that will go away in a month than to die of cancer or something. I had some weird lumps in my earlobes a few years ago, they were just something with my sebaceous glands, perfectly harmless and went away after awhile. I tried to apologize (out of habit) for taking up his time, but the doctor was sternly insistent that I did the right thing going to see him and should always do so with lumps or the like.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Malcolm XML posted:

No it doesn't, you can try to educate people (and that should be happening, especially about antibiotics) but at the end of the day it's more important to make the system free and accessible to everyone. It's better to treat people who don't need it than to turn away people who do. And a fee isn't necessarily going to deter the right people anyway

When you start talking about how people should stop using the NHS so much you're shifting the responsibility for the current situation from the government (whose job it is to fund and invest in it adequately) to the population. The one thing you don't do in the interim is erode the NHS's entire mission statement and fundamentally change how it works

And the responsibility for prescribing antibiotics lies with medical professionals. If people don't like it they can do one IMO. A national campaign along the lines of 'hey you're an idiot' might help

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

Though I guess if you're offered a urethroscopy (or whatever they called) I do not recommend that procedure it is very unpleasant.

Better than a penisectomy because you didn't get that lump looked at. I strongly recommend having your junk checked out on a regular basis.

Also I guess you should see a doctor once in a while?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Renaissance Robot posted:

It can be both.

It's both.

We both need to educate the population more so that they don't demand non-functional medicines which are actively harmful to public health (and this includes both unnecessary antibiotics and snake oil bullshit like homeopathy) from their doctors when all they need is rest and fluids, and to expand the health services so that GPs can adequately cope with real demand.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Ive had these 3 small strange slightly squdigy lumps on my right leg for 20 years now, unoticable unless you look closely or are in possesion of my body.. i remember being slightly freaked out by them at the time because they seemed to appear almost overnight. still wonder what those loving things are, maybe they are about to hatch, only a powerfull organism would require a 20 year gestation period

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sadly all I got was "the only treatment we could do will make it worse"

But yes definitely get your doctor to inspect your penis as often as you can.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Just as another example, people call out ambulances for non-emergency stuff, which is obviously a problem. Should we start charging people for that like the blasted wasteland of healthcare that is the US?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Maintain that early treatment is better because that will probably save more lives than encouraging people to self-diagnose,

ehh unless you have hard evidence this can be misleading, see PSA testing in men. most of the trade groups have campaigned to make people aware that minor ailments are not worth GP time and that's basically all you can realistically ask from laymen

but

quote:

accept that underfunding, as always, has and will continue to cost lives.

is of course true

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Just as another example, people call out ambulances for non-emergency stuff, which is obviously a problem. Should we start charging people for that like the blasted wasteland of healthcare that is the US?

They are logging the 'frequent callers' in the system. The idea so far isnt pernicious, its to find out what their problem is and sort it. There are very few prank callers. Its either poepl who legit have a regular need or nutters. The frequent callers are then offered a different point of contact or service directly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seaside Loafer posted:

Ive had these 3 small strange slightly squdigy lumps on my right leg for 20 years now, unoticable unless you look closely or are in possesion of my body.. i remember being slightly freaked out by them at the time because they seemed to appear almost overnight. still wonder what those loving things are, maybe they are about to hatch, only a powerfull organism would require a 20 year gestation period

Or, possibly, this thing.

:yayclod:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

baka kaba posted:

No it doesn't, you can try to educate people (and that should be happening, especially about antibiotics) but at the end of the day it's more important to make the system free and accessible to everyone. It's better to treat people who don't need it than to turn away people who do. And a fee isn't necessarily going to deter the right people anyway

When you start talking about how people should stop using the NHS so much you're shifting the responsibility for the current situation from the government (whose job it is to fund and invest in it adequately) to the population. The one thing you don't do in the interim is erode the NHS's entire mission statement and fundamentally change how it works

And the responsibility for prescribing antibiotics lies with medical professionals. If people don't like it they can do one IMO. A national campaign along the lines of 'hey you're an idiot' might help

"free and accessible" doesn't mean without rules and some sense of order. unless you can magic up GPs (which is quite hard, likely impossible, to do even with money since there's just not enough trained). if you dont want the frankly minimal guidelines of "don't waste GP time on minor ailments but if it's really urgent than go ahead" then what else are you going to do?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Rules are overrated :anarchists:

thespaceinvader posted:

We both need to educate the population more so that they don't demand non-functional medicines which are actively harmful to public health (and this includes both unnecessary antibiotics and snake oil bullshit like homeopathy) from their doctors when all they need is rest and fluids

This is markedly different than people taking up GP time, which was the original argument.

You can educate on what people should expect from doctors, but there's no way to get people who it turns out didn't really need to see a doctor to not go see one, because how is anyone but a doctor supposed to figure that out?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Go to the Doctor. Weird lumps are bad news brown.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

"free and accessible" doesn't mean without rules and some sense of order. unless you can magic up GPs (which is quite hard, likely impossible, to do even with money since there's just not enough trained). if you dont want the frankly minimal guidelines of "don't waste GP time on minor ailments but if it's really urgent than go ahead" then what else are you going to do?

"Don't waste GP time on minor ailments" isn't good advice because it relies on the patient to decide what is and isn't a minor ailment.

Setting up alternative services for low-risk things (like sex clinics) would work better, as does things like getting pharmacists to dispense medicine advice rather than needing to call the doctor about it. As is stuff like telling people not to come in if they think they have a cold, but to come in if it persists, that sort of thing. You can do a lot better than just telling people that their doctor is in dire straits and if they come in and it turns out to be nothing they have literally killed a child.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Go to the doctor. Just in case, like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

"Don't waste GP time on minor ailments" isn't good advice because it relies on the patient to decide what is and isn't a minor ailment.

Setting up alternative services for low-risk things would work better, as does things like getting pharmacists to dispense medicine advice rather than needing to call the doctor about it. As is stuff like telling people not to come in if they think they have a cold, but to come in if it persists, that sort of thing. You can do a lot better than just telling people that their doctor is in dire straits and if they come in and it turns out to be nothing they have literally killed a child.

which is exactly what has been done w/ pharmacists giving medical advice and 111 & friends. i was being glib. the point stands that in rationed care you need a way of streaming away the people who dont really need the care right now and part of that involves self-care.

• Locked thread