Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
date aired: April 27, 2001

as johnny bravo would say -- man, I'm pretty (fed up with this zionist conspiracy)

edit: snype from the grassy knoll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've met more than one young lawyer who believed the world was ~6,000 years old.

I knew another one who believed this, and also that the moon landing was faked.

I think these people share an emotional desire to make the world as small and manageable as possible for their insecure minds. The idea that the universe is too big for their own sense of agency drives them to select their information and beliefs, as a way of taking back a feeling of control over a reality that ultimately denies us any at all.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

PBS Newshour posted:

flat earth theory gets especially weird when it isn't "hey the earth is flat" but also "there are government agents who will kill you if you try walk past the giant walls of Antarctica"
Well I suppose you have to provide some sort of motive for the lie. I mean the idea that the government could gaslight it's an entire population about something like that wouldn't have been a huge stretch historically but why would anyone care whether the earth was flat or round if it made no impact on our day to day lives. Government agents killing you when you get close to the edge implies there's something important or valuable there that they're hiding from the people which gives them motive to lie about the earth's shape in the first place.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I had an ex girlfriend who studied astronomy. she might have even got a phd in it. she thought the moon landings were fake lol

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

ya because all ants aren't gay

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

gender illusionist posted:

I had an ex girlfriend who studied astronomy. she might have even got a phd in it. she thought the moon landings were fake lol

I knew a Marine pilot who would argue for days about this. Everyone hated that guy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Air is not real. It's just not

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I am unironically mentally ill. I'm diagnosed with AvPD and also I'm an alcoholic. AMA.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I like listening to people who deny climate change

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Zzulu posted:

Air is not real. It's just not

How Can Air Be Real When Our Lungs Are Cheese?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

serious norman posted:

I am unironically mentally ill. I'm diagnosed with AvPD and also I'm an alcoholic. AMA.

Why are aliens fight the police department?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Booblord Zagats posted:

I knew a Marine pilot who would argue for days about this. Everyone hated that guy

the best counter to poo poo like that happens to be a comedy sketch, dumbs it waaaaaay down. I have a friend who was starting to give credence to whacky theories about the moon and he watched this and it made perfect sense to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOnehCOUw

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dza posted:

I think Anal Emma went to school with me.

excuse me?

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

katlington posted:

excuse me?

They said

Dza posted:

I think Anal Emma went to school with me.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

oh man he's one of those guys who makes every word in a sentence a capital letter

of course his brain is broken

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

ChogsEnhour posted:

I have a hardcore Jewish friend who claims Gregorian Chanting (and by that extension new age band Enigma) can conjure up demons who will possess your soul.

I bring up the fact she's Jewish because she says the demons are from Christian mythology. So how does that even work? Didn't Enigma get to number 1 in the charts? Are we ALL possessed by Christian demons now? Are only those of the Jewish faith safe? (Because there are no Jewish demons so I'm told.)

of course there's Jewish demons

there's a bunch of lesser ones, but Lilith and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz are the best known ones

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

lol are they alleging that there's a gas that makes people gay or are they saying that an ephemeral contrail is gay

A misanthrope posted:

6 million americans believe the world is controlled by lizards disguised as humans

most prominently the dime-store Alister Crowley, David Icke

also he is British; I don't know many reptilian idgits in the US

blarzgh posted:

I've met more than one young lawyer who believed the world was ~6,000 years old.

I knew another one who believed this, and also that the moon landing was faked.

I think these people share an emotional desire to make the world as small and manageable as possible for their insecure minds. The idea that the universe is too big for their own sense of agency drives them to select their information and beliefs, as a way of taking back a feeling of control over a reality that ultimately denies us any at all.

this is v correct and a good post

most conspiracy people are loving terrified by chaos. the sandy hook truthers are case in point. they're so scared that random things happen that they have to concoct conspiracies like crisis actors and poo poo

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

That Robot posted:

of course there's Jewish demons

Palestinians.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

That Robot posted:

oh man he's one of those guys who makes every word in a sentence a capital letter

of course his brain is broken

i like to think kids who grow up that rich are like aliens and talking to them is like talking to sentient crayfish

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The earth is both hollow and flat at the same time and therefore round.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

A misanthrope posted:

i like to think kids who grow up that rich are like aliens and talking to them is like talking to sentient crayfish

its not so much income as it is a lack of education

it's like someone stuck them on newspaper headline mode

conspiracy theorists come up with some funny poo poo too. the Phantom Time Hypothesis proposes that the years 614 to 911 AD never happened (a 911 conspiracy lol) and that charlemange didn't exist.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I came home drunk and late a little while ago and there was some weirdo hanging out in my lobby. He started talking to me like he knew me and indicated towards a 55gallon barrel that was sitting in front of one of the elevators they are currently replacing.
He was like "you know what that is don't you"
"uh a barrel? it says hydraulic fluid on it which makes sense, they're replacing the elevators"
"no you don't understand"

okay buddy have fun

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Are you telling me that there (points outside window), someone actually managed to get up to that big rock in the sky and stand on it? HAHA! That's just not possible. If I can't reach the moon, then no one else possibly could.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

persons unknown is a pretty friggin lame name

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

katlington posted:

excuse me?

Booblord Zagats OP posted:

"Then how do you explain time zones and analemma?"
He meant this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analemma but I made it mean butt sex.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wicker Man posted:

Are you telling me that there (points outside window), someone actually managed to get up to that big rock in the sky and stand on it? HAHA! That's just not possible. If I can't reach the moon, then no one else possibly could.

It's actually just a bunch of garbage from when the dinosaurs were sentient and ran a technologically advanced draconian world government. Then lucifer came around and made them crawl on their bellies for creating the garbage moon.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

the moon is a transdimensional portal that is controlled by aliens who seek to limit our existence to only the 5 senses so that they may create a false reality and control us. i don't know why, that's just how it is. :iiam:

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
The tragedy of a species becoming unfit for life by overevolving one ability is not confined to humankind. Thus it is thought, for instance, that certain deer in paleontological times succumbed as they acquired overly-heavy horns. The mutations must be considered blind, they work, are thrown forth, without any contact of interest with their environment.

In some states, the mind may be seen in the image of such an antler, in all its fantastic splendour pinning its bearer to the ground.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
If you have a coworker who identifies as conservative in tyool 2016 then start eating lunch with them and in like 2 or 3 days tops youll have so much material for this thread youll be frothing at the mouth. Or dead from having taken your own life (smart money is on this play)

I would say just listen to the right wing media yourself but it is way safer and better for your mental health if you use a proxy

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
People who inject politics in to EVRY SINGLE loving personal conversation are normally worse than conspiracy weirdos in my experience

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is from page 1, but I suggest you all actually read that Area 51 book. Most of it is actual sane poo poo about what probably actually happened at Area 51 (testing experimental stealth technology that would later become the B-2 and what not), but then the last third of the book goes all in on the cold war Roswell russian children/midgets stuff. Although I'd believe that the Russians thought we were all panicky idiots due to us freaking out about War of the Worlds that one time and doing some crazy poo poo over it being actual aliens if I had to pick one crazy theory.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

serious norman posted:

Do you prefer Aliens or Predators and why?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

rejutka posted:

Do you prefer Aliens or Predators and why?

Predators because the keyboard controls for aliens were a pain in the rear end

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't get inertial coils or depth or why the sky is blue.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Booblord Zagats posted:

Predators because the keyboard controls for aliens were a pain in the rear end

At least in part two you got to choose between hit and forget, and hold all the time.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The moon is all just dead old souls, haunting ashes to life. :smith:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

haris pilton posted:

Tia tequila thinks the earth is flat

going by her fake tits she obviously has no idea how curves are supposed to work

naem
May 29, 2011

The Snark posted:

Wow this reads very much like an exciteable homophobic Conspiracy Theorist heard the term Bug Chaser and invented a theory that is fascinating in being far less threatening while also vastly more complicated. Still, whatever gets people to kill more Fire Ants. Goddamn Fire Ants.

Fun fact, fire ants are being killed off by a new ant from Brazil who all share one chemical signal. Most ant hives have a smell and they attack other ants, even the same species, from other anthills- but this recent transplant all think they are the same anthill of like a trillion ants and they're murdering all other ants. Plus they're not bitey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is from page 1, but I suggest you all actually read that Area 51 book. Most of it is actual sane poo poo about what probably actually happened at Area 51 (testing experimental stealth technology that would later become the B-2 and what not), but then the last third of the book goes all in on the cold war Roswell russian children/midgets stuff. Although I'd believe that the Russians thought we were all panicky idiots due to us freaking out about War of the Worlds that one time and doing some crazy poo poo over it being actual aliens if I had to pick one crazy theory.

Also the new X Files referenced it for like a split second which was pretty cool

• Locked thread