Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

OSI bean dip posted:

Omg it would be for iOS development!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

quote:

It will
encourage more spanish speakers at the space, and that in turn will help
with maintenance.
:eyepop:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

:vince: Someone poo poo on a minority!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Buttcoin purse posted:

:vince: Someone poo poo on a minority!

don't worry, maria will clean that up

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
the way you're reading it is funny, don't get me wrong, but i took it to be a response to the "who will maintain the spanish translation of the page??" complaint

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

someone asked noisebridge-discuss for help installing MySQL and the first three responses were "don't use MySQL, use [x] instead"

FYI nerds this is rarely ever a helpful response

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Background:

Over the past couple weeks there have been a few thefts at Noisebridge. Please let's look out for each other in the space. If someone seems sketchy, please politely talk with them, or ask someone else to politely talk with them.

Theft in our space sucks!

One of the theft casualties was $200 of Mike's art supplies. He's the awesome starving artist who did our beautiful Tesla Mural. This totally sucks! I just talked with Mike, and he's understandably upset.

He's given of himself for our space, and asked nothing in return. Losing $200 of his stuff for his livelihood is a huge hit on him.

yesssssss old school noisebridge is returning

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

someone asked noisebridge-discuss for help installing MySQL and the first three responses were "don't use MySQL, use [x] instead"

tbf, if you're asking for help to install mysql, you probably shouldn't be using mysql.

or anything else really.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
your course of action doesn't inherently solve or avoid every conceivable permutation of an issue forever so forget it better to do nothing
- nerds

Like just making a Spanish version of the main page even if it just says "hi howareyou generic info in your first language" and see how that goes is inconceivable because now you have two pages and oh no they'll get out of sync unless aghghghghhh

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 2, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

yesssssss old school noisebridge is returning

Really though? Only a few thefts in the last few weeks?

I guess they don't count stuff like equipment missing enough equipment that it's cheaper to buy a new one as a theft

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

infernal machines posted:

tbf, if you're asking for help to install mysql, you probably shouldn't be using mysql.

or anything else really.

you are not the arbiter of whether or not some random stranger should be using a certain piece of software

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there is a 110% chance that these people will install linux on grandma's laptop when she asks them to help make her email start working again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

you are not the arbiter of whether or not some random stranger should be using a certain piece of software

certainly not. but i'd suggest that if you can't figure out the relatively simple install process, using say, any of the millions of pages of written documentation and install guides, you're probably going to be making a much bigger hash of whatever it is you intend to do with the software afterwards.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

there is a 110% chance that these people will install linux on grandma's laptop when she asks them to help make her email start working again

this is hilarious, because the correct solution is "buy a mac"

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

or anything else really.

answering

this

always

means

you

are

the

worst

loving

dork

in

the

world.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's me, the worst dork in the world, i'm here to tell you to rtfm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is hilarious, because the correct solution is "buy a mac"

yeah no poo poo.

i use windows computers (and even dual boot them!) but i'm not recommending them to anyone unless they are technically minded and have a specific use case. grandmas get macs.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

it's me, the worst dork in the world, i'm here to tell you to rtfm

yes, the "millions of pages" will help when you have a simple problem and just want to go forward.

sometimes asking is a way to learn instead of a show of ignorance.

the worst answer is _always_ a smug nerd paradigm shift to "pffft use Mongo instead you idiot mysql is bad because it doesn't scale to 10.000.000 users easily".

every software can be used incorrectly so that answer just throws the asker into a different but equally deep pit of questions.

so please stop doing it, if you don't know the answer then it's OK to not say anything.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

yeah no poo poo.

i use windows computers (and even dual boot them!) but i'm not recommending them to anyone unless they are technically minded and have a specific use case. grandmas get macs.

same and if someone asks me how to disable the hiberfile to free up some space on their hard drive the wrong answers are: buy a mac, buy a bigger drive, use linux, you need the hiberfile delete steam instead, etc. the correct answer is "powercfg -h off".

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

whoa I'm captain carepost. sorry.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you should be

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

computer toucher posted:

the worst answer is _always_ a smug nerd paradigm shift to "pffft use Mongo instead you idiot mysql is bad because it doesn't scale to 10.000.000 users easily".

love it when nerds suggest mongo over mysql

even mysql isn't worse than mongodb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how come every time is swap the fuse in this light it blows up and starts a fire?

uh, maybe you shouldn't be touching that if you don't understand what's happening...

DON'T TELL ME NOT TO DO SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE I'M DANGEROUSLY CLUELESS ABOUT HOW IT WORKS!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean sure, you'd follow up with an explanation about why the fuse is melting down, but it's fair to suggest they stop first

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

how come every time is swap the fuse in this light it blows up and starts a fire?

uh, maybe you shouldn't be touching that if you don't understand what's happening...

DON'T TELL ME NOT TO DO SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE I'M DANGEROUSLY CLUELESS ABOUT HOW IT WORKS!

see I always read these as "Help me understand thing" - "maybe you shouldn't use thing unless you understand thing" - "yes I'm trying to understand that's why I asked" - "well thing2 is much better, go not understand that instead lol *drives away on a Segway*"

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

i mean sure, you'd follow up with an explanation about why the fuse is melting down, but it's fair to suggest they stop first

he;lp stack overflow mysql burned down my house again!!!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

computer toucher posted:

he;lp stack overflow mysql burned down my house again!!!!!

you've never read the secfuck thread have you? that's basically what happens, except it's all your users' data instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

computer toucher posted:

see I always read these as "Help me understand thing" - "maybe you shouldn't use thing unless you understand thing" - "yes I'm trying to understand that's why I asked" - "well thing2 is much better, go not understand that instead lol *drives away on a Segway*"

this is exactly what happens any time arduinos are brought up around any old electronics grognard and it drives me insane

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

here's a nickel kid, go buy yourself a real microcontroller

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

yeah well most people want to look like they know their poo poo and when they don't they always have the option of saying the question is flawed, use this poo poo (I know about) instead.

im going to sleep now (before someone tells me it's better to use a sensory deprivation chamber instead or a chemically induced coma)

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

this is exactly what happens any time arduinos are brought up around any old electronics grognard and it drives me insane

ugh it's not called a "shield" it's a "daughterboard", why are people using different words for things than the ones I used to use

ugh it's supposed to be called a program not a sketch, why are people using different words for things

ugh it's supposed to be called main(), not setup() / loop(), why are people etc etc etc

-three different hackaday posts.

I think this one has all three actually. http://hackaday.com/2015/12/31/code-craft-embedding-c-hacking-the-arduino-software-environment/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

listen if you're asking for help instead of delegating everything you don't understand to an underling then you don't deserve to know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

computer toucher posted:

im going to sleep now (before someone tells me it's better to use a sensory deprivation chamber instead or a chemically induced coma)

real pros use severe head trauma

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

im digging the way grognard is becoming a general term for grumbling old turd

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
stfu pls

quote:

Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] request for help
Date: 2016-02-02 9:42
To: Rebecca Suval <risuval@gmail.com>
Copy: noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net

On Feb 2, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Rebecca Suval <risuval@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am writing wondering if anyone would be willing to help me figure
> out how to get MySQL on my Macbook. I am not very technical and
> haven't had the best luck figuring this out on my own.
>
> I currently work in healthcare EHR systems. A position that I
> recently applied for is requesting that I know basic SQL for
> healthcare reporting purposes. This is the reason that I would like
> the application on my computer.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're just trying to learn SQL, consider using SQLite as your database engine. It's already installed in OS X.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite

https://www.sqlite.org/

Josh

quote:

Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] request for help
Date: 2016-02-02 10:06
To: noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net

Both PostgreSQL and MySQL are for software developers. It would be
really sad to see your potential future company handling it's healthcare
problems by having employees running commands directly against a
database server, though this scenario might help explain the problems
with our healthcare industry.

I recommend you not install anything at all, and just go to try sql from
codeschool. It's a free course, and provides you the basic
understanding they apparently 'need' you to have.
https://www.codeschool.com/courses/try-sql

You'll be able to type in SQL queries and be told whether your command
solved an SQL challenge.

If you're a developer, SQLite is an exciting choice because there's
virtually no overhead to installing it.

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/sqlite/sqlite_installation.htm

quote:

Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] meet with Chinese students?
Date: 2016-02-02 13:23
To: NoiseBridge Discuss <noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net>

When I was in Shanghai I met Vanness, who is organizing a group of
Chinese university students to come to the SF area for a month to learn
what they can. They'll arrive later this month. They want to take as
many workshops / classes at Noisebridge as they can.

I'll be out of town when they arrive. Would someone be into meeting
them when they arrive and giving them a tour of Noisebridge?

If so, please let me know off-list, and I'll connect you with Vanness.

Thanks!
Mitch.

questionable electrical in noisebridge may make some of the chinese feel like they're at home

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
oh to be a fly on the wall when the Chinese students show up

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

oh to be a fly on the poop when the Chinese students show up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

im digging the way grognard is becoming a general term for grumbling old turd

yeah, me too. it's nice to be able to put a name on that kind of person, cause everyone knows one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

Rob M <veryprofessionalguy@gmail.com>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWaDa8taiIQ

• Locked thread