Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Bonzo posted:

The rebels had a surface to sub orbit ion cannon but the empire can't shoot at the ground?

You can shoot through your own shields idiot. Its literally like that in EVERY loving thing that has shields.

Why are goons so loving dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

The REAL question is, why did the Imperial Navy not have swarms of TiEs out to fly combat air patrol and pick off escaping ships as they got past the shield?

those ships, by the time they leave the shield, are moving at a pretty good clip. They have maybe a minute before they're gone, and they have a bunch of x-wings defending them. Ties are meant for space dogfighting (like both death star battles) not for chasing much larger ships and using a laser peashooter on them. Star destroyers are their best bet, and that only kinda worked because they didn't know where they were headed.

If you want to use an EU argument, why didn't they have an interdictor star destroyer to prevent hyperspace escapes? Design of ATAT's aside, they have a ton of interdictors that aren't being used.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Applewhite posted:

@ @

If the celebration scene at the end of the remastered version of Return of the Jedi is to be believed, everyone in the Empire hated the Emperor except for the military.

that, and the fact that the empire split into a billion sub-empires afterwards. some openly recruiting aliens etc

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ape Fist posted:

the empire was a largely incompetent body, militarily, and was lead by the galactic equivalent of a 5 year old throwing as perpetual temper tantrum, op.

This is the truth. The best warrior the empire had was a guy with late stage empasima and abandonment issues. Basically a Hitler in a state of arrested development

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the only unbelievable part of star wars is how they got the whole galaxy to adopt metric

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bobert Bobertson posted:

that, and the fact that the empire split into a billion sub-empires afterwards. some openly recruiting aliens etc

not cannon anymore idiot!!!!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

the only unbelievable part of star wars is how they got the whole galaxy to adopt metric

they were mostly british

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Moola posted:

not cannon anymore idiot!!!!

im gonna shoot your head with a cannon you dolt!!

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Why didn't Darth Vader get a special custom Hoth suit? He musta been freezing his balls off the second he landed. Why is everyone ok with Chewbacca walking around with his schlong out ?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Manic Mailman posted:

Why didn't Darth Vader get a special custom Hoth suit? He musta been freezing his balls off the second he landed. Why is everyone ok with Chewbacca walking around with his schlong out ?

Vader is more machine than man, he only has to keep his core warm because his limbs are robotic.
Wookees have very, very small penises, it's why they're so ill-tempered.

Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

lilljonas posted:

Let's see a jedi deflect a swarm of shotgun pellets, those smug bastards.

Like literally, blam blam, movie's over Kylo.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/FA-3_flechette_launcher

Already exists, and specifically designed for use against Jedi.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Since Eskimos don't exist in Star Wars, would they call each other Hoth Bros if they hosed the same girl?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why aren't there any genderqueers in Star Wars

What sexuality is C3PO

Someone post the pic of jar jar loving Padme

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

What sexuality is C3PO

3po's obviously gay as gently caress for r2's probe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Feedback Agency posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/FA-3_flechette_launcher

Already exists, and specifically designed for use against Jedi.

Can you block that in the Jedi Knight video games? I recall you could force push rockets away and it was dope as heck.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Since Eskimos don't exist in Star Wars, would they call each other Hoth Bros if they hosed the same girl?

And, if so, are Han and Chewie Hoth bros? Via Leia I mean.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

facebook jihad posted:

What sexuality is C3PO

same reason there aren't any in real life

none because he's a robot

please do not

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

how did that monster get in the trash compactor water on a space ship? did they put it in on purpose? did it start as an egg that accidentally got mixed in witha food shipment and then thrown in the trash?

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Nutsngum posted:

You can shoot through your own shields idiot. Its literally like that in EVERY loving thing that has shields.

Why are goons so loving dumb?

If this answer is not enough. Sit back and be amazed by this ww1 tech https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronization_gear

We could fire through propellers when we just invented flight. I dont think timing your shield to let your shot through is any harder.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

I stand corrected.
Admiral Ozzel's plan should have worked.

Yea now I'm confused.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Germstore posted:

If a Super Star Destroyer can't even glass a few square miles of a planet then what are they even good for?

Anti-Star Submarine warfare.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tricky D posted:

Anti-Super Star Submarine warfare.

FTFY

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I like the fact that there were no Muslims in the Star Wars and Star Trek Universes. Also Star Trek is immensely better than Star Wars.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Tony Homo posted:

I like the fact that there were no Muslims in the Star Wars and Star Trek Universes. Also Star Trek is immensely better than Star Wars.

Um, excuse me, Admiral Ackbar

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Tricky D posted:

Um, excuse me, Admiral Ackbar

gently caress

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
This thread is :five:

Good job OP.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

at hoth they send a strike team to disable shields allowing bombardment

but then they change their minds or whatever and dont bomb it but instead land and occupy as soon as the strike is successful

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

thathonkey posted:

Can we talk about how AT-AT would be the worst military vehicle to design in a universe where every other vehicle uses some sort of propulsion technology

This is true, however it's kind of a War of the Worlds walker homage-vibe thing to it, and it looks pretty cool. It's one of the most iconic vehicles in a universe of hundreds of different vehicles.

Contrast this to the literal DINER IN SPACE in the loving prequels which was a horrible abomination that was poo poo because Lucas has a 50s boner

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Can't let Luke die in the bombardment. Obviously. Palpatine's plan was clearly to replace Vader with Luke because lol at spending twenty years with Annie Skywalker.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

im gaye posted:

at hoth they send a strike team to disable shields allowing bombardment

but then they change their minds or whatever and dont bomb it but instead land and occupy as soon as the strike is successful

By then everyone had escaped so there was no point in blowing it up.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Germstore posted:

Can't let Luke die in the bombardment. Obviously. Palpatine's plan was clearly to replace Vader with Luke because lol at spending twenty years with Annie Skywalker.

Actually, his ORIGINAL plan was to kill Luke outright. "The Son of Skywalker must not become a jedi."

Vader in a throw away comment said "But if he could be turned.... he would become a powerful asset."

That's when the Emperor was like Oh uhh... yeah I knew that. Do that, that's a WAY better plan.

Emperor was kinda dumb

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know what we need? A movie that is to Star Wars what Galaxy Quest was for Star Trek. Like, not the exact thing but something like that.
Basically a good Star Wars movie, is what I'm saying.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I think the closest we've gotten to that are the Star Wars skits on Robot Chicken

The wampa one kills me everytime

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

You know what we need? A movie that is to Star Wars what Galaxy Quest was for Star Trek. Like, not the exact thing but something like that.

just watch last crusade

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

thathonkey posted:

Can we talk about how AT-AT would be the worst military vehicle to design in a universe where every other vehicle uses some sort of propulsion technology

Look at the historical the military industrial complex of any nation and the weird dumb (or sometimes unexpectedly not so dumb) poo poo they come up with, and tell me how could they avoid building a dumb useless lumbering 4 legged death tank.

Some general in procurment wasked his kid to draw the coolest tank, though "holy poo poo this is great" and boom, 20 years and 700 billion credits later (budget overrun not included), there's your fleet of AT-ATs.

Maybe someone should write a My Tank is Fight EU book about a mid level administrator who has to proof all these projects.

Space contractor's log 2815-92154-226: Today BGen Worsmilner ordered me to procure some type of support structure for a project called SMASHWALKER. The details are classified, but apparently they are part of an articulated leg that needs to support 132 spacetons. Forcedammit, our department is already under investigation after we built the first Death Star, which apparently had major contracting flaws. What are they cooking up now? Apparently we're going to be building 4000 of these things. //End log

(make the cheque out to cash)

Moltke
May 13, 2009
If you listen to the EU, General Veers championed AT-ATs even though their limitations and flaws had been well documented for decades. Dude loved AT-ATs.

But of all battles to deploy an AT-AT to, the Battle of Hoth was probably one of the better choices. They are lumbering but cover a lot of ground quickly (significantly shortening the attack run on the rebel shield generator), can carry vehicles and troops (that would otherwise not be able to transverse the cold climate) in a well armored body, they possess enough firepower to destroy rebel gun emplacements/shield generators, and their only real threat are Snowspeeders, which they are also quite effective against (at least in the movie).

Moltke fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 3, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

spaceballs doesn't count?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Moltke posted:

If you listen to the EU, General Veers championed AT-ATs even though their limitations and flaws had been well documented for decades. Dude loved AT-ATs.

But of all battles to deploy an AT-AT to, the Battle of Hoth was probably one of the better choices. They are lumbering but cover a lot of ground quickly (significantly shortening the attack run on the rebel shield generator), can carry vehicles and troops (that would otherwise not be able to transverse the cold climate) in a well armored body, they possess enough firepower to destroy rebel gun emplacements/shield generators, and their only real threat are Snowspeeders, which they are also quite effective against (at least in the movie).

You're telling me the empire didn't have any kind of hover craft technology that could do all that without the elephant legs? Didn't they have big troop transports in the prequels in attack of the clones? Hell the walkers they used on geonosis would have been better than AT-ATs since they weren't so cumbersome

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

The same reason Vader's mask is a skull/nazi helmet and not just a mannequin-like prosthetic face

FEAR WILL KEEP THEM IN LINE

FEAR OF OUR ELEPHANT TANKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

facebook jihad posted:

You're telling me the empire didn't have any kind of hover craft technology that could do all that without the elephant legs? Didn't they have big troop transports in the prequels in attack of the clones? Hell the walkers they used on geonosis would have been better than AT-ATs since they weren't so cumbersome

fart

• Locked thread