Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1:

This could more-or-less have been designed for me. More than a little heavy handed with the brilliant strategist that no-one listens to, but I'll forgive it.

I'll probably watch another one or two tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dzhay posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1:

This could more-or-less have been designed for me. More than a little heavy handed with the brilliant strategist that no-one listens to, but I'll forgive it.

I'll probably watch another one or two tonight.

Bit late now, but you should really watch the two movies first then start the TV series on episode 3, the first one is a prequel, the second replaces the first two episodes with better animation.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well, I finished Kaiba. Episodes 8 -12 in one go, since they kinda blended into each other. I'm not really going to post my full thoughts because it will definitely take some...digesting to figure out if I really even liked the ending or not. I liked the elements of he last few episodes, but I kinda don't like how it makes light of the first half of the show, and how backloaded/"take it or leave it" a lot of the plot is. It might also feel better on a rewatch, but for now, I'll say that I still enjoyed it, and can appreciate fiction set in a foreign world more as a result of this show!

Now onto Zegapain!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Bit late now, but you should really watch the two movies first then start the TV series on episode 3, the first one is a prequel, the second replaces the first two episodes with better animation.

Oh well, seen the first 3 now. Definitely going to watch more of this soon. Is the prequel movie stuff the audience would be expected to know?

I like Yang's cat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
People like to say LoGH is slow. It is not. Massive events happen all the time, entire status quos are upturned in a fraction of a season.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GTO Episode 1-2

Great show! Really old school in a lot of good ways. I definitely want to see what borderline madness Onizuka manages to get up to once they've actually let him teach.

Also the OP/ED are great.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

People like to say LoGH is slow. It is not. Massive events happen all the time, entire status quos are upturned in a fraction of a season.

It is really good isn't it? I want to rewatch the thing, but jeez i'm still watching too many current or semi-currant shows that i just don't have the time. Maybe one of these upcoming seasons will actually turn out to be bad and i can catch a break.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnoHito posted:

GTO Episode 1-2

Great show! Really old school in a lot of good ways. I definitely want to see what borderline madness Onizuka manages to get up to once they've actually let him teach.

Also the OP/ED are great.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Things definitely pick up as you go, so hold onto your pants!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Julias posted:

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Things definitely pick up as you go, so hold onto your pants!

You, uh, you really weren't kidding there. That got really dark really quick :stare:

Anyway, I'm about 10 episodes in and Onizuka's antics are keeping hooked. I was just about to go watch some of this season's anime, but then suddenly realized "I could be watching more Onizuka instead!" and proceeded to do that. Really good show, keeps me going just to see what he's going to try to get away with next. Will almost certainly finish it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dzhay posted:

Oh well, seen the first 3 now. Definitely going to watch more of this soon. Is the prequel movie stuff the audience would be expected to know?

I like Yang's cat.

The prequel movie doesn't have any crucial information you'd be lost without, just provides some background detail and there's a nice battle with Ravel's Bollero as the background music at the end

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Bakemonogatari Episodes 1 and 2:

Not sure how I feel about it so far. I think I'll like it but it's hard to say 'cause these first two episodes felt like just set up, so I'm interested to see where it goes from here.

Really liked the art style though

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Up to episode 5 of LotGH, still owns. I am almost certainly going to watch the rest of this, over an extended period of time.

Old anime seemed to think that space was slightly misty... (and in this show's case, two-dimensional)

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, I have no complaints about the pacing so far. If I were searching for something to moan about, it would be that we don't know enough about what people normally do and why to be impressed by the handful of supposed tactical geniuses we're watching.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My problem is that the scale of the events is too big. Millions of people are supposed to take part in these the battles, and even this huge cast (for media) is not going to be sufficient to handle it. It just feels inflated and weird.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Finishing Onizuka has left me with a gap in my geart that can only be filled with more anime.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You picked the worst show on Stanfield's list, so to punish you, go watch Legend of Galactic Heroes, a show that a ton of people love, but is extremely slow-paced and has a million episodes. I couldn't make it past the second or so before I gave up (not because it was bad, but because I didn't feel like I had the level of energy required to invest in it).

New list:
  • Armitage III
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • Bubblegum Crisis
  • rewatch Patlabor: The Early Days
Still in an 80s OVA mood.

Cyber City Oedo because if you're gonna go for 80's Cyberpunk Dystopia: The List, you might as well go all the way.

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Shirobako

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnoHito posted:

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Shirobako

argh, this is a tough one... Shirobako i guess. Toradora hopefully stays on your list for another person to recommend, it's very sweet.

- Vifam
- Patalliro
- Kino's Journey
- Gankutsuou
- Cutie Honey (1973)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was starting to think this thread would sink without trace again.

AnoHito posted:

Cyber City Oedo because if you're gonna go for 80's Cyberpunk Dystopia: The List, you might as well go all the way.

I'll do that, and I'll even watch it dubbed with the UK soundtrack, for maximum 80s cyberpunk.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the only way to watch it anyway

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shirobako Episodes 1-5

I watched the first episode of this when it was airing and remember finding it vaguely underwhelming. I just kind of tossed it aside and thought 'If it ends up being really good or something, I'm sure I'll hear about it and watch it then.' Well, I heard about it being really good, so here I am. At first, my feelings were the same as when I watched it before. It didn't really seem all that great, and it threw more characters at me than I could really deal with in one go. But it did have enough to make me want to continue, and so far I'm glad I did. I'm now more or less wholeheartedly invested in whether or not Exodus will turn into a giant trainwreck, and what new kinds of failures will inevitably arise and send the whole show into another tailspin. And I want the director to succeed again. And I want all of the friends to have their dreams work out. It's a good show that seems to only be getting better as I watch it.

And for gently caress's sake will someone just fire mohawk guy already? He's literally being worse than having nobody doing his job.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnoHito posted:

Shirobako Episodes 1-5
And for gently caress's sake will someone just fire mohawk guy already? He's literally being worse than having nobody doing his job.

:same:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the only way to watch it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZakDfseyo

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I was literally on my way to post this. That's some stupidly good music. :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's new to me. the Australian release has the Japanese opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey5dh-5DI80

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

dogsicle posted:

argh, this is a tough one... Shirobako i guess. Toradora hopefully stays on your list for another person to recommend, it's very sweet.

- Vifam
- Patalliro
- Kino's Journey
- Gankutsuou
- Cutie Honey (1973)

Kino's Journey is any favourite anime, so watch it.

Up next on my list:
- Turn A Gundam
- Wandering Son
- Psycho-Pass
- Samurai Champloo
- Katanagatari
- Now and Then, Here and There

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's new to me. the Australian release has the Japanese opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey5dh-5DI80

I actually like the Japanese opening just as much as the UK one, but the rest of the soundtrack is really, worse which is a shame because I like Kazz Toyama's stuff in other shows like Doomed Megalopolis. It's not even really that bad there's just... Not very much of it? Like whole action sequences with good music in the UK version will have nothing in the JP one, just dialogue and sound effects.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Cyber City Oedo 808 trip report: I think this is probably the first time I've liked a dub more than the original. The Japanese voice actors (Sengoku especially) seem to be sort of... phoning it in in every scene I've checked, whereas the American dub, as stupid as the gratuitous swearing can get, actually kind of feels like people having a conversation. Paradoxically, some of the swearing does actually add to this, they could've just... toned it down a little bit.

The animation's pretty good (although it's nowhere near the other 80s OVAs I've been watching), the characters are likeable (except for Sengoku, who's just an rear end in a top hat with no real redeeming features) and the banter is pretty funny in place. The UK soundtrack is great, although:

Sakurazuka posted:

I actually like the Japanese opening just as much as the UK one, but the rest of the soundtrack is really, worse which is a shame because I like Kazz Toyama's stuff in other shows like Doomed Megalopolis. It's not even really that bad there's just... Not very much of it? Like whole action sequences with good music in the UK version will have nothing in the JP one, just dialogue and sound effects.

I found the UK soundtrack going over action sequences was pretty jarring in parts. I don't know if it's just because the levels are weird on the remaster or whatever, but most of the time when it happened it sounded like the music was just overdubbed instead of being a separate background track, which made some of the action sequences feel like I was watching an AMV instead of a show. :v: Probably at its most glaring in the Sengoku vs. airduct cleaning robot sequence in episode 1.

All in all, this made me wish they'd done a full show along this premise, in a similar style to Psycho-Pass or SAC.

unpronounceable posted:

- Turn A Gundam
- Psycho-Pass

Man, this is a tough choice. They're both really good, well-written and chill shows, but I've got a reputation to uphold, so go watch Turn-A.

I'll spare you the soul-crushingness of Now and Then, too. :v:

New list:
  • Akatsuki no Yona
  • Baccano!
  • Barakamon
  • Chuu-2
  • Hitsugi no Chaika
  • Space Battleship Yamato 2199
  • Tamako Market
I've kind of had my fill of 80s OVAs for now.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 31, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I have determined that Shirobako was really good and deserves all the praise it got. Will be eagerly awaiting season 2 with everyone else.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

New list:
  • Akatsuki no Yona
  • Baccano!
  • Barakamon
  • Chuu-2
  • Hitsugi no Chaika
  • Tamako Market
I've kind of had my fill of 80s OVAs for now.

Baccano is the boring correct answer, but I'm gonna say Chuu2 anyway because it's still good.

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Chihayafuru

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnoHito posted:

1. Toradora!
2. Love Live!
4. Golgo 13
5. Concrete Revolutio
6. Chihayafuru

The best sports series should be a priority, Chihayafuru. Anyway:

Fate/Zero
Great Teacher Onizuka
Gunbuster
Kids on the Slope*
My Love Story!!*
Working!!
*I've seen like one episode ages ago.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

The best sports series should be a priority, Chihayafuru. Anyway:

Fate/Zero
Great Teacher Onizuka
Gunbuster
Kids on the Slope*
My Love Story!!*
Working!!
*I've seen like one episode ages ago.

Gunbuster is short and I love it so watch that.

Spice and Wolf
Squid Girl
Sound Euphonium
Kids on the Slope
Akira

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

littleorv posted:

Gunbuster is short and I love it so watch that.

Spice and Wolf
Squid Girl
Sound Euphonium
Kids on the Slope
Akira

Definitely Kids on the Slope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJqd_F2N41Y

Has awesome music, and compelling drama.

Seriously, the whole OST is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC96FB59F6E11CB2C

Watched the first couple of episodes of Zegapain, and while I liked the non-mech parts, the mech parts were boring as all hell. Nearly fell asleep in the first episode. Will stick with it, but I want something else to wash it down with.

Basquash!
Sound! Euphonium
Madoka Magica
Kyousou Giga
Osomatsu

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
My last required watching from this thread was Mushishi, which is now one of my favorite things. I'm almost done with the second season so I need something new to watch!

Julias posted:

Watched the first couple of episodes of Zegapain, and while I liked the non-mech parts, the mech parts were boring as all hell. Nearly fell asleep in the first episode. Will stick with it, but I want something else to wash it down with.

Basquash!
Sound! Euphonium
Madoka Magica
Kyousou Giga
Osomatsu

I haven't seen Basquash, but the other four on your list are all great. That being said, please watch my favorite of that selection, Kyousougiga.

My list:

Haikyuu!!
Spice and Wolf
Love Live: School Idol Project
The Tatami Galaxy
Amagi Brilliant Park
Giant Robo

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

The best sports series should be a priority, Chihayafuru.

Will do! I'll be walking into this about as blindly as humanly possible too which is always good in my experience.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

AnoHito posted:

Will do! I'll be walking into this about as blindly as humanly possible too which is always good in my experience.

It's a good one to walk into blind, although I would recommend making sure you have the time to watch the first three episodes in a row. They are a bundle, and kinda set apart from the rest of the show. I don't want to spoil it, but you'll see what I mean. drat I love that show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808 trip report: I think this is probably the first time I've liked a dub more than the original. The Japanese voice actors (Sengoku especially) seem to be sort of... phoning it in in every scene I've checked, whereas the American dub, as stupid as the gratuitous swearing can get, actually kind of feels like people having a conversation. Paradoxically, some of the swearing does actually add to this, they could've just... toned it down a little bit.

actually the swearing owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

quote:

the characters are likeable (except for Sengoku, who's just an rear end in a top hat with no real redeeming features)

Sengoku is the best character :colbert:

quote:

All in all, this made me wish they'd done a full show along this premise, in a similar style to Psycho-Pass or SAC.

:agreed:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Swearing often got added to dubbed anime in the UK at the time because animes with a 15 or higher rating sold better than those with a PG. I doubt Cyber City really had to worry about that though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gunbuster was pretty alright. Super neat to see a show explore time dilation. On to Diebuster then.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Gunbuster was pretty alright. Super neat to see a show explore time dilation. On to Diebuster then.

It's good!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Chuu-2 trip report: I thought the show was a pretty and enjoyable comedy with a bunch of wacky characters and a straight man MC, right up until it went from "haha, she thinks she's a light novel protagonist" to "oh, she's genuinely mentally ill and her family reacts to this by physically and emotionally abusing her" two thirds of the way in. :(

Nap-senpai is great, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

My list:

Haikyuu!!
Spice and Wolf
Love Live: School Idol Project
The Tatami Galaxy
Amagi Brilliant Park
Giant Robo

I really liked the Spice & Wolf episodes I've seen, so I'm going to go ahead and tell you to watch that.

My list:
  • Akatsuki no Yona
  • Baccano!
  • Barakamon
  • Hitsugi no Chaika
  • Tamako Market

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I really liked the Spice & Wolf episodes I've seen, so I'm going to go ahead and tell you to watch that.

My list:
  • Akatsuki no Yona
  • Baccano!
  • Barakamon
  • Hitsugi no Chaika
  • Tamako Market

Akatsuki no Yona doesn't really get its momentum until a bit after the first five episodes, but heck please watch it.

Gundam 00
Humanity Has Declined
Katanagatari
Nabari no Ou
One Outs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Cool, I've been meaning to find time to watch it so I can read the manga. :3:

• Locked thread