Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Huh, I wouldn't have pegged Central City for being a Kansas City stand-in but I guess it fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Weather Wizard is great. He's the only villain we have seen so far that can fly, right? And flying is awesome.

"He's not flying, he's just (goes on to literally describe what flying is)!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

Huh, I wouldn't have pegged Central City for being a Kansas City stand-in but I guess it fits.

Keystone and Central are the twin cities stand ins. I'm sure they were much more relevant to the US 50 years ago.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Rhyno posted:

The populations of some of those "cities" are idiotically tiny. Star City is always depicted as a thriving metropolis in the comics but only 27,000 people live there?

I just assume that most authors are terrible at math and numbers.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rhyno posted:

The populations of some of those "cities" are idiotically tiny. Star City is always depicted as a thriving metropolis in the comics but only 27,000 people live there?

That's hilarious. My local YMCA has a population of 22,000 and I live in a suburb of a suburb. Writers should at least understand that sort of scale.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But just like Captain Cold and Weather Wizard, they made him too bloodthirsty and kill-crazy in his first appearance, so it will be that much harder to redeem him later.

I do not remember him being too kill crazy. He just seemed that he was going after Welles.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

That's hilarious. My local YMCA has a population of 22,000 and I live in a suburb of a suburb. Writers should at least understand that sort of scale.

It's obviously just some guy making a map. Ivy Town has double the population of Metropolis?!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not remember him being too kill crazy. He just seemed that he was going after Welles.

He was knocking multiple cars full of people off a bridge, where they would have died for sure if not for the Flash.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

He was knocking multiple cars full of people off a bridge, where they would have died for sure if not for the Flash.

Yeah but he knew that with Flash there they are safe.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It has a Man of Bats reference on there so it's not that old.

Also the populations of real world cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles look like they are post-2010 census.

I guess the name "Metropolis" is ironic since at 72,000 citizens it doesn't even come close to the top 300 largest cities in America, being dwarved by South Bend, Indiana and Davenport, Iowa.

punchymcpunch posted:

It's obviously just some guy making a map. Ivy Town has double the population of Metropolis?!

Yeah totally, but the attention to detail is just laughable. Again, why even bother looking up real world population data and then going "yeah I bet Metropolis is like an eighth the size of Portland".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Star city is Detroit apparently. They showed a map on an episode of Arrow.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/DgAoC.png

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
But they crossed over with Vixen, who is from actual Detroit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pastrymancy posted:

But they crossed over with Vixen, who is from actual Detroit.

Also I don't think you can take a boat from Detroit to China as a casual vacation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this? posted:

Also I don't think you can take a boat from Detroit to China as a casual vacation.

the really slow boat to China

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Chokes McGee posted:

I hate Wally West.

That's what you've done, CW writers. You've made me hate Wally West.

You've accomplished the literal impossible, hope you're happy.

If you hate this Wally West then you must've hated the comics version so much that you've repressed the memory.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Obviously the Northwest Passage is real in the DCWU.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
DC superhero cities existing alongside real US cities is a baffling decision and that cities very often don't have consistent locations is hilarious. It's almost like the DC universe is not well run or coordinated, a giant mess if you will.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Remember Hypertime? Introducing Hypergeography.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I really hope we've come to the end of all the West family drama.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JT Smiley posted:

I really hope we've come to the end of all the West family drama.

Bahahahaha wait until Wally gets Flash powers but.... he can't tell Iris...for her safety!

Oh lordy, is she ever going to feel betrayed. You could easily spread that over 5+ episodes. Worry not, friends.

EDIT:VVV I think "White Shadow" just about answers that. VVV

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 5, 2016

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
You're right. What I should have said is, I hope this is the end of West family drama that is completely divorced from the rest of the story. Have Barry and Wally interacted at all? Aside from Barry answering the door when he first showed up.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Proposition Joe posted:

DC superhero cities existing alongside real US cities is a baffling decision and that cities very often don't have consistent locations is hilarious. It's almost like the DC universe is not well run or coordinated, a giant mess if you will.

This has always been my problem with DC. Like you can't have Firestorm leave Central City to go to Pittsburgh without that creating disjoint in my mind. All fictional cities (at least within the US) or no fictional cities. Don't mix and match.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

You're right. What I should have said is, I hope this is the end of West family drama that is completely divorced from the rest of the story. Have Barry and Wally interacted at all? Aside from Barry answering the door when he first showed up.

They haven't interacted, which I think is a great thing because the last thing we want is awkward jealousy from Wally towards Barry for having been Joe's son all those years. Because you know the writers will definitely add something like that.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

enraged_camel posted:

They haven't interacted, which I think is a great thing because the last thing we want is awkward jealousy from Wally towards Barry for having been Joe's son all those years. Because you know the writers will definitely add something like that.

No way, the writers would never do that. Clearly they're setting up a new love triangle where Iris has to choose which one of her brothers she wants to be with. Actually, I shouldn't even joke about that, because someone has already written that fan fiction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This has always been my problem with DC. Like you can't have Firestorm leave Central City to go to Pittsburgh without that creating disjoint in my mind. All fictional cities (at least within the US) or no fictional cities. Don't mix and match.

I know, it'd be like if someone named Captain America went to a clearly fictional Eastern European country.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Proposition Joe posted:

No, it's not almost like that at all. It is exactly that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DC just needs a "reboot" like the Star Wars universe, where someone comes in and throws away 90% of it and starts fresh.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

DC just needs a "reboot" like the Star Wars universe, where someone comes in and throws away 90% of it and starts fresh.

They did this already

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

They did this already

They need another

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

Having 900 heroes based in New York who don't coordinate or assist each other is so much cleaner.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

They need another

They're supposedly working on it right now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

enraged_camel posted:

They need another

They keep doing it, rebooted poo poo is still poo poo.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Bahahahaha wait until Wally gets Flash powers but.... he can't tell Iris...for her safety!

Oh lordy, is she ever going to feel betrayed. You could easily spread that over 5+ episodes. Worry not, friends.

EDIT:VVV I think "White Shadow" just about answers that. VVV

This actually happened in the silver age comics.

Barry was still keeping his secret from Iris, Wally comes around, gets his powers, and Barry makes Wally swear not to tell Iris.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Proposition Joe posted:

It's one of the things that always put me off about DC. I am the nerd who pours over the maps inside of fantasy novels and know exactly where Castle Anthrax is in relation to Lake Dubwub, and the inconsistency drives me nuts. That and the secret identity related drama that is always going on. I don't mind generally hiding your identity, but when its "Oh my life as Dog-Man is ruining my relationship with my girlfriend, but how I can I tell her???" stuff.

I am always so happy when Lois knows Superman is Clark.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Metropolis is in Delaware, Gotham is basically Newark but bigger and shittier.

Star City and Central City are both in the vague and nebulous "pacific northwest".

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Narcissus1916 posted:

Central City "pacific northwest".

:stare:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJb7u2nc8rU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Illuen posted:

I know there was some questioning about the layout of DC's USA. I've seen this image float around in the past, though I don't know if it is actually canon, it's good enough for me.

Phoenix has a higher annual crime rate than Gotham. Maybe they track super crime separately or when the Joker gases 500 people it's only counted once so they can make it look good for CompStat.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

Phoenix has a higher annual crime rate than Gotham. Maybe they track super crime separately or when the Joker gases 500 people it's only counted once so they can make it look good for CompStat.

Gotham has 8 superheros protecting it. It better have a lower crime rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Future episode spoilers in the link.

Some people were wondering if Piped Piper would return - the answer is yes.

• Locked thread