Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

That Works posted:

No one can answer this.

It's just that stealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Propagandalf posted:

Explain to me how it's suddenly different and dangerously influential that children are seeing computer renders on TV of products that don't exist when half the Evil Defense Contractor-built inventory of the US Air Force flies over every sports stadium in the US before the game/race/orgy starts.

Again, what weapon is being advertised. Where is it made, how much does it cost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzhmVmuSTA here's the video.
The video starts with the notional 6th Gen fighter F-X fighter jet. At 6 seconds, there is the B-2 bomber taking off. At 18 seconds, there is the Navy F/A-XX fighter. There are lots of weapons systems there :v:

Look, I'm saying defense contractors having too much influence is a bad thing. I'm not just singling out only defense contractors here. I'm saying that outsize influence is a bad thing for any industry to have. For example:

The financial industry having too much influence is the reason why big banks were 'too big to fail' during the financial crisis and felt able to take ridiculous risks.
Lockheed Martin having too much influence is part of the reason why the F-35 is the 'too big to fail' defense program of the century, and has contributed to the program being such a mess.
Pharmaceutical companies having too much influence is how they are allowed to advertise their latest drugs on cable tv to people who don't need them and conduct incredibly exploitative business practices.
Tobacco companies having too much influence is why they could advertise cigarettes even when they were proven to be cancer sticks for so long.

I'm making the point that any industry that gets too large and influential allows them them to promote/do things which may not be in the best interests of the population/ or which shouldn't be allowed. I'm not attacking anybody here, I'm pointing out the superbowl spot is a particular example of defence contractor influence and that it's weird to advertise weapons systems on primetime family tv. :v:

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Mr Crustacean posted:

I'm making the point that any industry that gets too large and influential allows them them to promote/do things which may not be in the best interests of the population/ or which shouldn't be allowed. I'm not attacking anybody here, I'm pointing out the superbowl spot is a particular example of defence contractor influence and that it's weird to advertise weapons systems on primetime family tv. :v:

Your standard for "too large and influential" here is "we paid a for-profit entity $20 more than a shampoo maker".

B-2s and F-18s will literally fly over the crowd and you're more concerned about people knowing and caring who made them.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Propagandalf why has this upset you so much?

I'm sorry that the big scary foreigner has pointed out that America is pretty weird but there's no reason to melt down over it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Veritek83 posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-super-bowl/

This is the 30 second spot Northrup Grumman bought during the game tomorrow.
I just find it amusing how they're playing both pre-merger halves of the company's strengths -- Northrop is known for flying wings, and Grumman has always built Navy fighters, so what can possibly go wrong?

Except how would you fold the wings for storage on a carrier when the entire thing is wing? On the other hand, I guess if the planes are actually triangles, you can pack 'em together tighter than standard cruciform airframes. Kinda like this, except with the long axis being the wingspan:

Mr Crustacean posted:

I'm saying that from a non US perspective, it is abnormal. I mean, in the UK you would absolutely, never, ever see a weapons manufacturer advertising their weapons systems at a major sporting event. Never, it's just not acceptable. That's the difference, that it's not socially acceptable to advertise weapons on primetime family TV. No need to call people stupid over it :v:
I've been seeing TV ads and billboards for Northrop-Grumman's next big thing for about a year now. Of course, I live in the same major market as Bossier City, LA, where I assume some people with actual sway in the USAF's decision-making process live.

Also even from a US perspective it seems a bit desperate -- when was the last time either of the parent companies had a major contract? B-2 (small fleet) and F-14 (retired ten years ago)? Low-production-rate spyplanes like they're doing now probably don't make all that much money, by comparison. Though last October they got the contract for yet another B-52 replacement, maybe this one will stick. Or at least get them a trillion dollars before the BUFF gets another lifetime extension.

They should've bid on the replacement for the other long-lived Grumman product, the one that didn't randomly explode. The Post Office needs new trucks, but apparently GM got that contract a year ago. :v:

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Splode posted:

Propagandalf why has this upset you so much?

I'm sorry that the big scary foreigner has pointed out that America is pretty weird but there's no reason to melt down over it.

You aren't familiar with his history of utter idiocy, huh?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

I just find it amusing how they're playing both pre-merger halves of the company's strengths -- Northrop is known for flying wings, and Grumman has always built Navy fighters, so what can possibly go wrong?

Except how would you fold the wings for storage on a carrier when the entire thing is wing?

The answer to both of these questions is "The A-12 program"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Propagandalf posted:

You aren't familiar with his history of utter idiocy, huh?

Nope, but he's made a pretty good point. Only in America would it be ok to advertise weapons on regular tv. Lots of countries do flyovers but that's a very different thing, because the military and arms manufacturers are very different things.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

:laffo:

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Splode posted:

Nope, but he's made a pretty good point. Only in America would it be ok to advertise weapons on regular tv. Lots of countries do flyovers but that's a very different thing, because the military and arms manufacturers are very different things.

"It's fine to show off the product so long as they don't see the label."

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/696178902906044416

Looks like NK managed to get their rocket to work. Claimed imaging sat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lollin at the reply thread.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Telling defense contractors they can't buy ad time at the super bowl would probably be a violation of the 1st amendment.

e: like, if I had a bajillion dollars and decided to make a superbowl ad saying "tell your congressmen to buy my totally hypothetical sweet-rear end plane" the government can't tell me no just because it's cheesy and stupid and maybe a little unseemly. The network, meanwhile, is not going to say no to my money. And while I don't think anyone's actually saying this ad should be banned, it begs the question: what would you do about it?

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 7, 2016

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Splode posted:

because the military and arms manufacturers are very different things.

hahahahahahahahaha

you're precious

e: for content, a large part of the reason why things like the F-35 happen isn't because LM is sitting there twirling their moustache while raking in oodles of the government's money for not doing any work, it's because the government (i.e., "the military") are full of morons who write idiotic RFPs containing stupid loving requirements.

To give it an international flavor, look at the history of the Chinook Mk3's. The sole responsibility for that debacle lies at the feet of the MoD, i.e...."the military."

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 7, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Pack 'em deep and sell 'em cheap!

That's actually pretty amazing that they can get them that dense.

Mortabis posted:

Telling defense contractors they can't buy ad time at the super bowl would probably be a violation of the 1st amendment.

e: like, if I had a bajillion dollars and decided to make a superbowl ad saying "tell your congressmen to buy my totally hypothetical sweet-rear end plane" the government can't tell me no just because it's cheesy and stupid and maybe a little unseemly. The network, meanwhile, is not going to say no to my money. And while I don't think anyone's actually saying this ad should be banned, it begs the question: what would you do about it?

Well, you aren't allowed to advertise cigarettes on TV anymore. Though, come to think of it, I'm not quite sure what the legal justification for being able to restrict that is.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Pack 'em deep and sell 'em cheap!

That's actually pretty amazing that they can get them that dense.

Well, you aren't allowed to advertise cigarettes on TV anymore. Though, come to think of it, I'm not quite sure what the legal justification for being able to restrict that is.

Apparently that isn't actually a law, but part of the settlement over "woops, we lied about cancer for the last 30 year, sorry" case.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Splode posted:

They're not advertising weapons. If Toyota buys an ad spot, they want you to buy a Toyota. If Northrup buys an ad spot, they want you to buy the credibility of their company. And by "you", I mean their stockholders, their potential employment recruits, the managers of smaller contractors who might do subcontracting work, etc, etc, etc. If any company whose products are not sold at the consumer level is advertising, that's what they're doing. GE isn't trying to sell locomotives when they have some lady talk about the personal fulfillment she gets from being an engineer who designs energy-efficient rail engines to save the planet.

On the way to work each day, I pass a Ratheon billboard that notionally advertises the Standard Missile 3. But Raytheon doesn't expect some general to drive by and think "Hmm, I should buy some missiles." They expect that some of the bazillion engineers and managers who pass that billboard on the way to the research park might think "Hmm, they're a cool company, maybe I should see if they've got any openings" or "Hmm, they seem to be good at stuff, maybe I can subcontract for/to them".

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I don't see how a defense contractor advertising is worse for anybody than if the same time spot went to Coke or McDonalds. The strange thing is thinking a Super Bowl ad is the best way to reach the people they want to influence. It seems more like a waste of money than some nefarious mustache twirling plan.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Just a note- NG did a spot last year that was pretty clearly pushing their LRS-B bid that honestly I thought was kinda sexy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-vkdUBNOOc so while I think they're the first defense contractor to buy SB time, this is actually the second year they've done it.

Also, as someone who grew up in the DC area and still spends serious time on the metro- you can't ride the Yellow or Blue line in VA without seeing tons of advertising by defense contractors- the boards in the Pentagon, Pentagon City and Crystal City stations are pretty much exclusively defense/intel industry oriented.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
This is boring, Simeon post plane pictures.

Preferably Northrop and/or Grumman products, tia.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTWkPdDm-Y

:911: (Full speech here)

It's nice to see someone acknowledging the ubiquity of the tanker force. It was a little depressing reading Relentless Strike and seeing the AR effort for night one in Afghanistan handwaived with, "and then the Combat Talons flew off to refuel from a tanker."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr Crustacean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzhmVmuSTA here's the video.
The video starts with the notional 6th Gen fighter F-X fighter jet. At 6 seconds, there is the B-2 bomber taking off. At 18 seconds, there is the Navy F/A-XX fighter. There are lots of weapons systems there :v:

None of which are being advertised, because that would imply they're available for purchase. None of them are. Two of them don't even exist, and the other stopped being available almost twenty years ago.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Non-American is shocked that arms manufacturers are advertising in TV, points out that this is strange in thrir culture and that most people wouldn't like it and it'd harm not help the company, without saying whether it's right or wrong
American is shocked, says how it isn't strange to him because of how much arms manufacturers are in touch with Joe Public in the USA
They start arguing over... something? I don't know I lost interest but all agree that boy different cultures sure are different after all!

Is that pretty much it? Can we move on now?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Captain von Trapp posted:

They're not advertising weapons. If Toyota buys an ad spot, they want you to buy a Toyota. If Northrup buys an ad spot, they want you to buy the credibility of their company. And by "you", I mean their stockholders, their potential employment recruits, the managers of smaller contractors who might do subcontracting work, etc, etc, etc. If any company whose products are not sold at the consumer level is advertising, that's what they're doing. GE isn't trying to sell locomotives when they have some lady talk about the personal fulfillment she gets from being an engineer who designs energy-efficient rail engines to save the planet.

On the way to work each day, I pass a Ratheon billboard that notionally advertises the Standard Missile 3. But Raytheon doesn't expect some general to drive by and think "Hmm, I should buy some missiles." They expect that some of the bazillion engineers and managers who pass that billboard on the way to the research park might think "Hmm, they're a cool company, maybe I should see if they've got any openings" or "Hmm, they seem to be good at stuff, maybe I can subcontract for/to them".

And to get some name recognition when it comes time to do your retirement plan. VenturePath LifeForce 2065 has Northreon Gruoeing? I've heard of them, that's a big company. My money will be safe!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

simplefish posted:

Non-American is shocked that arms manufacturers are advertising in TV, points out that this is strange in thrir culture and that most people wouldn't like it and it'd harm not help the company, without saying whether it's right or wrong
American is shocked, says how it isn't strange to him because of how much arms manufacturers are in touch with Joe Public in the USA
They start arguing over... something? I don't know I lost interest but all agree that boy different cultures sure are different after all!

You forgot "American points out that the same thing happens on the other side of the pond."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

simplefish posted:

Kind of but Mr Crustacean has a history of crummy posts on here that get people's hackles up.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Northrop sponsors a bowl game too. I don't think any of the other Big 3 do that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

When was the last time Northrop even won a fighter contract?

In other news, after doing a bit of reading, I learned that some dude built his own F-104 from scrapped parts to set a speed record that still stands. I really want to know how he convinced the Navy to sell him the engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Greenamyer

Too bad it crashed.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Shooting Blanks posted:

The F-5 (1962, for delivery to Norway), the F-14 (1969), or never, depending on whether you're talking about Northrop, Grumman, or Northrop Grumman.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Seems like they need to step up their advertisement game

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does the F35 center body count?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

They look like birds huddled together against the cold :3:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
In the UK I have seen defence companies advertising, but that was a few select tube stations in London where you could actually expect the odd person who had some influence over defence procurement might actually wander by. The concept of overt, fetishistic military worship should not really be alien to anyone from the UK though- we have been sliding down that slope ever faster for the last decade or two, and after watching the government/media namedropping "brimstone" and how wonderful it is at every mention in the Syria vote, I wouldn't be too surprised that eventually defence companies will increase general marketing in the UK.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
lovely derail, or shittiest derail?

Q: Is it normal for weapons manufacturers to advertise on TV in the US?
A: No, this is not normal.

Holy poo poo! That was hard!

This is all this thread deserves now!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

That plane looks airsick, or really hates the taste of jet fuel

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Blistex posted:

lovely derail, or shittiest derail?

Q: Is it normal for weapons manufacturers to advertise on TV in the US?
A: No, this is not normal.

Holy poo poo! That was hard!
No, no, no; the question was whether it demonstrated the deficiency, savagery, and fetishistic worship of power & violence inherent in the Yankee soul.

Plinkey posted:

Northrop sponsors a bowl game too. I don't think any of the other Big 3 do that.
That's LockMart (previously it was sponsored by Bell Helicopter)

The Air Force Academy is 1-4 in the Armed Forces bowl, having lost twice to U.C. Berkeley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shooting Blanks posted:

In other news, after doing a bit of reading, I learned that some dude built his own F-104 from scrapped parts to set a speed record that still stands. I really want to know how he convinced the Navy to sell him the engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Greenamyer

This dude owns

quote:

Too bad it crashed.

He was really going for authenticity.