Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

It's almost as if Mike Shula is who we thought he was.

this is my biggest takeaway from the game, just after Denver's D is loving terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

That Works posted:

Olsen has been awesome this season and to me one of the biggest stories of the night was him mostly being shut down.

Does Olsen still struggle getting YAC?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Corzaa posted:

Does Olsen still struggle getting YAC?

he's not breaking any tackles but he's fine. Panthers run a lot of sideline outs with him that he obviously can't turn up field.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TubeStank posted:

I can't stop thinking about how bad that halftime show was. It would have been p decent without coldplay's attempt to make a gap commercial

Going from Katy Perry, who might have put on the best halftime show ever, to this wet sack of crap was stunning. I hope we can all agree on that.

I have to say, what I'm hearing (and what I saw) is that if Carolina wants to win Super Bowls, they have to go the Brady short yardage crossing route death by a thousand cuts game.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

TubeStank posted:

Bruno and Beyonce were pretty good yeah but coldplay...woof.

I loved the contrast between Coldplay and Beyonce. It could not have been more apparent why Bey keeps pushing her career higher and higher while Coldplay is stuck in the momrock zone.

Coldplay: play some of their old hits with technicolor rainbows, flowers, and children playing violin.
Beyonce: drop a new surprise single the day before the show, completely slay said single with a cadre of badass women in black panther gear, then immediately announce a new world tour with a halftime spot.

She is a brilliant businesswomen (in addition to a pretty solid entertainer).

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Going from Katy Perry, who might have put on the best halftime show ever, to this wet sack of crap was stunning. I hope we can all agree on that.

I have to say, what I'm hearing (and what I saw) is that if Carolina wants to win Super Bowls, they have to go the Brady short yardage crossing route death by a thousand cuts game.

There is another way. Have a single player that can hang with the Denver secondary. We call him the Benjamin.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Benjamin looked so loving good in the preseason :smith:

The only WR I want to see next year that was out there last night is Ted Ginn. This is a bad year to need a WR in free agency though. The Panthers are likely going to roll with Devin and KB, which is fine I guess. I think Devin showed enough to warrant optimism.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Everyone's saying Carolina's offense got outplayed.

True, but nobody is mentioning how dog-poo poo the Broncos offense was.

1-14 on 3rd downs
104 passing yards (Cam threw for double)
Peyton got sacked 5 times

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

1-14 on 3rd downs

Is there anyone claiming the opposite?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

1-14 on 3rd downs

those are some 2014 Mizzou offensive numbers

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That fumble by Tolbert on the Broncos 40 yard line while picking up a 1st down was the killer. That changed everything.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FizFashizzle posted:

Is there anyone claiming the opposite?

Seriously. Peyton, to his credit, knew he could not win the game and the entire offense was built around trying not to gently caress it up too bad for the defense. Hell, there was series where Peyton could have gone for the dagger TD and just ran it three times and went out because he knew the defense could handle Carolina with a punt better than risk a turnover.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I think Kony Ealey had a really impressive game, all things considered. I know Denver's o-line wasn't that good, but he had three sacks and constantly seemed as if he was making Manning's life tough in that game. He's probably going to be forgotten, but he had a good game and did what he could do help his team.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously. Peyton, to his credit, knew he could not win the game and the entire offense was built around trying not to gently caress it up too bad for the defense. Hell, there was series where Peyton could have gone for the dagger TD and just ran it three times and went out because he knew the defense could handle Carolina with a punt better than risk a turnover.
At that point in the game a FG was just as good as a TD. I honestly wouldn't have been shocked to see 3 kneeldowns just to run clock. Running the ball has the possibility of a fumble.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Can we also just talk about what a dump that stadium is. A brand new stadium with just a lovely field.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Harlock posted:

Can we also just talk about what a dump that stadium is. A brand new stadium with just a lovely field.

it was REMARKABLE how much people were slip-sliding all over the place all night. it was like that Fiesta Bowl a few years ago with Oregon

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Harlock posted:

Architecturally it looks awful. That huge block of luxury boxes on one side is just ugly.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Infidel Castro posted:

The Flyers are the epitome of disappointment and the Twins always get swept by the Yankees in the ALDS. At least the Packers have won two Super Bowls in my lifetime.

I would think he has 5 or 6 good years left in him then.

as a fan of the Minnesota Wild

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If you thought Cam handled the loss gracelessly, imagine Jay Cutler. Every day, waking up dreaming of blowing a Super Bowl and storming out of a press conference drives him.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

If you thought Cam handled the loss gracelessly, imagine Jay Cutler. Every day, waking up dreaming of blowing a Super Bowl and storming out of a press conference drives him.

No words. Only shrugs with varying cadence.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/696716229730381824

gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Jay Cutler playing a Super Bowl

please don't post my fanfic

it would be the best thing ever that will never happen :smith:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Dad Humor Gloating On Twitter

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

An underrated narrative from the game was just how much Ted Ginn hates being a football player.

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
i think cam newton is really cool and the panthers losing made me more sad than i thought it would. i really hope he gets a ring soon. peyton, return to dust, or work for the titans i dunno

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

jay cutler loving sucks

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Derek Wolfe freaking owns

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rabid Snake posted:

Aqib Talib owns :unsmith:

As a Broncos fan, let me just say no, no he doesn't.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Notable Dom X posted:

i think cam newton is really cool and the panthers losing made me more sad than i thought it would. i really hope he gets a ring soon. peyton, return to dust, or work for the titans i dunno

Truly the most tragic of outcomes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

marauderthirty posted:

He tried his loving hardest to screw the Broncos out of winning. And it's not even the first time he's done dumb poo poo like this.

Remember the time he full-on Ric Flair eyepoked a dude?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

marauderthirty posted:

I heard his voice for the first time yesterday and realized he must be at Cortland Finnegan level annoying to line up against.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He tried his loving hardest to screw the Broncos out of winning. And it's not even the first time he's done dumb poo poo like this.

Remember the time he full-on Ric Flair eyepoked a dude?

Hopefully he gets a suspension for his actions yesterday.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What surprised me was that Carolina didn't even try to do a designed QB draw up the middle, as it seemed in the 2nd half that Denver wasn't spying Cam much and was straight up rushing the passer. If Cam could've gotten to the line of scrimmage he'd have been gone on a lot of plays, but instead he just sat in the pocket for over 2 seconds which was too long against that rush.

And it's not like there wasn't tape of Denver getting to Brady over and over within 2 seconds - if Brady couldn't get rid of the ball to his WRs, there was no way Cam was going to. For all Mike Shula's insistence on the run, I thought Carolina would actually be able to get something going on the ground. Hell, Tolbert is the same weight or bigger than Von Miller, run Tolbert straight at him until he's worn down. Hindsight of course. q

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

marauderthirty posted:

No, he doesn't. He's a loving piece of poo poo, and I'll always have happy memories of Steve Smith owning him.

Good for all the decent dudes on the Broncos, but gently caress Aqib Talib.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

What surprised me was that Carolina didn't even try to do a designed QB draw up the middle, as it seemed in the 2nd half that Denver wasn't spying Cam much and was straight up rushing the passer. If Cam could've gotten to the line of scrimmage he'd have been gone on a lot of plays, but instead he just sat in the pocket for over 2 seconds which was too long against that rush.

And it's not like there wasn't tape of Denver getting to Brady over and over within 2 seconds - if Brady couldn't get rid of the ball to his WRs, there was no way Cam was going to. For all Mike Shula's insistence on the run, I thought Carolina would actually be able to get something going on the ground. Hell, Tolbert is the same weight or bigger than Von Miller, run Tolbert straight at him until he's worn down. Hindsight of course. q

yea let's just design plays to have your quarterback run right at the denver defense

what's the worst that could happen

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Except Peyton wasn't paid to say that. Weird that he did

Well I guess if you don't consider investment income to be pay he didn't get paid but he has a financial interest in people buying Bud rather then being paid to say drink Bud for a flat fee. He owns an interest in Bud distributorships. Same as hugging Papa John instead of his wife. Dude is Gene Simmons level of marketing priorities.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sour Diesel posted:

yea let's just design plays to have your quarterback run right at the denver defense

what's the worst that could happen

Weirdly Cam did a better job against the defense on his feet than with his arm tho

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Even way back when he was with the Bucs, Talib was garbage. He's like DeAngelo Hall. A bunch of talent but just a humongous rear end in a top hat.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

defiantgiant posted:

Yeah, this was the thing. Denver didn't have to do much that was complicated - none of the Carolina receivers could get open within ~2.5 seconds, and Carolina's o-line just had no hope of protecting for that long. I can't count how many times Cam got set to throw, saw nobody open, and immediately there was somebody coming through the line completely clean. That was like every pass attempt for them. If I'm Carolina, I'm blowing up that offensive line this offseason, and even with Kelvin Benjamin coming back I'd probably be looking for another good receiver.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that Denver put Talib on Greg Olsen for a lot of snaps. Green Bay used to do that to him when he was with the Bears, and it was annoyingly effective. He's a big athletic mismatch on linebackers, but he just doesn't out-physical defensive backs nearly as much as you'd expect for a guy who goes 6'5" and 250. The Packers would just stick Charles Woodson on him, he'd get like 2 catches for 30 yards, and it would be all on the wide receivers to make something happen in the passing game. Seems like the formula for Denver was pretty similar - take Olsen away with your best cover corner, load up the box against the run game, and then make Jerricho Cotchery et al beat you in man coverage.

Seeing Greg Olsen completely disappear was really, really familiar and I wasn't quite as sad after I finished bitching about how Martz refused to use a pass catching TE and had him traded for a third round pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Talib has always been a huge piece of poo poo and should have been thrown out of that game for trying to kill Philly Brown.

• Locked thread