Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Playtest 2 is in the bag. Rogue is looking good, and I have a few tweaks to make from the feedback.

Encounter of death was just as deadly as last time - got a tpk this time, despite making it slightly easier. It was fairly close in the end. One extra heal or a few misses from me early and they might have done it.

Thanks to both teams for helping out! Wednesday team, if you're up for another session, we can do a high-level test next Wednesday to see if I can get levels 5-9 into shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Playtest 2 is in the bag. Rogue is looking good, and I have a few tweaks to make from the feedback.

Encounter of death was just as deadly as last time - got a tpk this time, despite making it slightly easier. It was fairly close in the end. One extra heal or a few misses from me early and they might have done it.

Thanks to both teams for helping out! Wednesday team, if you're up for another session, we can do a high-level test next Wednesday to see if I can get levels 5-9 into shape.

I am up for it!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jimbozig posted:

Totally.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Jimbozig posted:

Sounds good to me.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Countblanc posted:

Well, I did it. I finished The Psion. Crimeny! It looks like it'll be a couple days before it appears on DriveThruRPG (I hope I did everything right, I've never done it before), but here's the free trial version I have available for anyone interested in getting a peek.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/da9lxvc8yy9ar6c/ThePsionPreview.pdf

e: updated link for most recent version. If the formatting is weird try downloading the file instead.

Without having seen one in practice, I already like the Psion. It does a thing like the Rogue where it makes use of a type of action (in this case the Reaction/Interrupt) which is rarely used in Strike!.

I also love the fact that I can immediately see a bunch of synergies with different roles. The only role that's sort of awkward with this class is the Blaster, because on my first glance I didn't see a lot of powers that would even work for a Blaster, but I might be completely wrong about this.

The class itself reminds me a lot of the Occultist from 13 True Ways, but that's a good thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ratpick posted:

Without having seen one in practice, I already like the Psion. It does a thing like the Rogue where it makes use of a type of action (in this case the Reaction/Interrupt) which is rarely used in Strike!.

I also love the fact that I can immediately see a bunch of synergies with different roles. The only role that's sort of awkward with this class is the Blaster, because on my first glance I didn't see a lot of powers that would even work for a Blaster, but I might be completely wrong about this.

The class itself reminds me a lot of the Occultist from 13 True Ways, but that's a good thing.

Thank you! Perhaps obviously so, the class was inspired by The Occultist, though only through second hand channels.

As for blaster, the class actually works fine even if it seems weird; You just target the enemies surrounding the powers triggering target. So if, for instance, an enemy becomes Bloodied and it triggers your Shatter, you also roll the attack against enemies in a burst 1 of the enemy who became bloodied.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hey all, The Psion just went live. And now begins the terrifying waiting period where I get blown the gently caress up for forgetting a rule interaction. I hope you enjoy it!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Hey all, The Psion just went live. And now begins the terrifying waiting period where I get blown the gently caress up for forgetting a rule interaction. I hope you enjoy it!

"if they end this move adjacent to an object" means . . . wall or other thing that blocks movement?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Correct. Benches, walls, pottery, tables, etc.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Correct. Benches, walls, pottery, tables, etc.

I should have been clearer -- something that blocks movement, as opposed to something that creates difficult terrain? Or in addition to, as long as it's an object?

Like, if the picnic table is difficult terrain, does that count for damage?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ultimately it's Fiction Comes First®, but during playtesting it was anything that obstructed movement completely, but I also didn't consider things like picnic tables as difficult terrain I suppose. I don't think the power would become broken if you managed to convince your GM that the car your character has to vault over counts as an object even if it's just difficult terrain mechanically though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Ultimately it's Fiction Comes First®, but during playtesting it was anything that obstructed movement completely, but I also didn't consider things like picnic tables as difficult terrain I suppose. I don't think the power would become broken if you managed to convince your GM that the car your character has to vault over counts as an object even if it's just difficult terrain mechanically though.

Also, I should have said that those powers are hilariously mean in the Strike! tradition of being hilariously mean to Team Monster. Well done.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thank you! A lot of the powers were much more boring in their first incarnations, haha. The at-wills are about the level of complexity that everything else was at and I was relying on the inherent coolness of an interrupt/reaction class to carry it. Fortunately my playtesters told me that it was insanely tedious to have to watch the board like a hawk simply to say "oh you moved adjacent to me. take 3 damage and become slowed." There's a few of the simpler powers left but for the most part the class lives up to its desired complexity and decision-making.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Doing layout stuff for the nearly-finished Rogue now. Had a couple of options for the little subtitle that goes under the class name:

Speed is the Essence of War

Fusing Speed with Secrecy

The first is from Sun Tzu. The second is from von Clausewitz. Both seem pretty appropriate. I'm leaning towards the second, but you can also build a rogue with zero stealthy options. Figured I'd throw it out here for opinions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I like the first one.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I prefer the second one myself.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Doing layout stuff for the nearly-finished Rogue now. Had a couple of options for the little subtitle that goes under the class name:

Speed is the Essence of War

Fusing Speed with Secrecy

The first is from Sun Tzu. The second is from von Clausewitz. Both seem pretty appropriate. I'm leaning towards the second, but you can also build a rogue with zero stealthy options. Figured I'd throw it out here for opinions.

If you had one about mobility/agility, I think that would be better than either, since honestly Rogues are not in fact speedier without the feats that everyone has access to. My contribution is Churchill's "Won by Slaughter and Maneuver."

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh
Do monsters use the rules for being Incapacitated or are they simply Taken Out? I saw somewhere that Stooges and Goons just get Taken Out, but I couldn't find anything explicitly saying anything about Standard Monsters and up.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I ran a game yesterday (it went really well!), but we didn't figure out how to handle initiative for Team Monster. Do all monsters go on the same initiative? Does each standard monster "slot" (1 standard, 2 goons, 4 stooges) roll its own initiative? Something else?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Man Dancer posted:

I ran a game yesterday (it went really well!), but we didn't figure out how to handle initiative for Team Monster. Do all monsters go on the same initiative? Does each standard monster "slot" (1 standard, 2 goons, 4 stooges) roll its own initiative? Something else?

Each standard monster and up roll their own initiative. For Goons and Stooges I tend to group them for face-to-face games (on Roll20 I roll em all individually and let the initiative tracker handle it).

Bophf posted:

Do monsters use the rules for being Incapacitated or are they simply Taken Out? I saw somewhere that Stooges and Goons just get Taken Out, but I couldn't find anything explicitly saying anything about Standard Monsters and up.

Simply Taken Out when they hit 0.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Hey, I'm brainstorming for a mini-expansion based on survival stories: human against nature. Stories I love like:

Into thin air
Touching the void
The martian
Seveneves
The revenant

I've always been fascinated by this genre - I remember loving the book Hatchet when I read it back in grade school. And it lets me write about two of my favorite places: the Canadian wilderness and outer space.

So under the pretext of helping me work on this expansion, and mainly because I love this stuff, does anyone have any book or movie recommendations in this vein?

Most useful to the game side would be stuff like seveneves where people are struggling for survival as a team, but individual survival stories are great, too, and more common.

They can be fictional, but the best fiction in this genre always leans very heavily on reality (see: the Martian).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I feel bad about triple-posting, but The Rogue is up! And it's awesome! Everyone go check it out and get hype for all the cool stuff it let's you do.

KS/patreon backers should have got their links last night.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Looks fun! I'm about a week and a half out on my own Strike campaign, and hope someone picks it up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The extra content is pretty unexpected but appreciated. Also man that formatting really puts mine to shame, haha. Glad to see Hasten made a last-minute comeback, and I agree with the change to Sneak Attack.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, I'm brainstorming for a mini-expansion based on survival stories: human against nature. Stories I love like:

Into thin air
Touching the void
The martian
Seveneves
The revenant

I've always been fascinated by this genre - I remember loving the book Hatchet when I read it back in grade school. And it lets me write about two of my favorite places: the Canadian wilderness and outer space.

So under the pretext of helping me work on this expansion, and mainly because I love this stuff, does anyone have any book or movie recommendations in this vein?

Most useful to the game side would be stuff like seveneves where people are struggling for survival as a team, but individual survival stories are great, too, and more common.

They can be fictional, but the best fiction in this genre always leans very heavily on reality (see: the Martian).

For outer space, maybe Gravity? Also it's not exactly against nature, but Runaway Train (escaped convicts on a runaway train through the Alaskan wilderness) is absolutely a survival thriller and might give you stuff to go on.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:
Rogue: Why does it use the wording "[this] movement does not grant Opportunities" instead of Shift?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Aside from specific powers calling for effects such as movement that doesn't result in Opportunities from select targets only, part of it is probably because things like being Marked can result in Opportunities when Shifting.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Aside from specific powers calling for effects such as movement that doesn't result in Opportunities from select targets only, part of it is probably because things like being Marked can result in Opportunities when Shifting.

Basically this - it lets you get away even if you are Marked. Any other upsides or downsides beyond that are edge cases and probably stuff I didn't think about.

The alternate language I considered was "If you are Marked, end that Status. Shift your speed." That is actually a bit stronger because it lets you then attack without the mark triggering.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Minor thing; I'm using the 2d6 variant in a game I'm running and just realized that the Rogue's pseudo-effects are less likely to happen under those conditions (28% vs 33.3% for poisoner/brawler, 9% vs 16.7% for Backstabber). Fixing Backstabber is pretty easy, simply make it trigger on 10-12 instead of 11-12, this makes it a 17 vs 16.7 which is pretty dang acceptable, but Poisoner and Brawler are a bit more difficult as bumping it from 9-12 to 8-12 means it's now a 42% chance which is quite high!! Any suggestions?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Always read the first die, or something?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Strike! is like Gogeta but with D&D 4E instead of Goku and FATE instead of Vegeta.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

Jimbozig posted:

The alternate language I considered was "If you are Marked, end that Status. Shift your speed."
I would have preferred this, I think. Game design-wise, routing around rules subsystems with English sentences is a dangerous path to tread.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Minor thing; I'm using the 2d6 variant in a game I'm running and just realized that the Rogue's pseudo-effects are less likely to happen under those conditions (28% vs 33.3% for poisoner/brawler, 9% vs 16.7% for Backstabber). Fixing Backstabber is pretty easy, simply make it trigger on 10-12 instead of 11-12, this makes it a 17 vs 16.7 which is pretty dang acceptable, but Poisoner and Brawler are a bit more difficult as bumping it from 9-12 to 8-12 means it's now a 42% chance which is quite high!! Any suggestions?

Uh, you could do 9-12 plus double-4's and double-3's if you wanted to get it to exactly 33%. Otherwise, 28% is the closest you will get.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I recently purchased this game and I am a bit confused about Team Effort. More specifically, how do you win? It says that if your Advance beats the opponent's Defense and your Defense outclasses their Advance you win, but unless I have missed it there is no way to actually reduce your opponent's. A Hit can disable a Trait, but Traits aren't what constitues Advance or Defense, although some of them grant bonuses to those.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I recently purchased this game and I am a bit confused about Team Effort. More specifically, how do you win? It says that if your Advance beats the opponent's Defense and your Defense outclasses their Advance you win, but unless I have missed it there is no way to actually reduce your opponent's. A Hit can disable a Trait, but Traits aren't what constitues Advance or Defense, although some of them grant bonuses to those.

If I understand your question, the answer might be on p. 76 under Phase 2: Resolution: "Once everyone has chosen an action, add up your team’s Advance modifiers and add a die. Do the same with the opponent’s Defense. If your Advance is higher than their Defense, your Advance is successful. If it is lower, it fails. Then repeat with the opponent’s Advance against your Defense and see the possible results below."

In other words, the various Actions are mostly, but not exclusively, about tilting your roll modifiers in your favor and hoping the 4 total die rolls (your roll+ your Advance modifiers, opponent's roll + its Defense modifiers, opponent's roll + its Advance modifiers, your roll+ your defence modifiers) come out in your favor. Does that help, or did I completely misunderstand? I believe you are correct in that I don't think there are ways to reduce opponents' die modifiers.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Alright, upon rereading that I see the point. But isn't it possible that, if the dice decide to screw with you, both sides of the conflict continue to accumulate Hits and Strikes without any progress being made?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 23, 2016

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh
In the same way that it's possible to flip a coin and repeatedly get heads on every flip for hours on end, sure.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

With a typical set-up, it is quite unlikely to last more than 5 rounds. Odds are it'll last 1-3 rounds. This goes up more if the players keep spending APs to not lose.

Also, I'm going to have to release an errata'd version of the Rogue because of a couple of mistakes (e.g. Vanish still refers to Subtle Shot, which got rolled into Sneak Attack; Throw Sand lacked a target; garotte needs to be melee only) and a couple of improved wordings. Any other issues anyone noticed? I would really prefer not to have to keep changing files on people.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
We did find a degenerate case in a team conflict, where every round for the party our best option was to increase our defense as much as possible and have one person use Targeted Effort. Under those circumstances, there was a tiny chance of our losing if the opposition maxed their roll, and a much more likely chance that we would net a Hit each round and slowly whittle our way to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Any other issues anyone noticed?
The only (tiny) thing I noticed is that the first line of page 4 says "pick one... Move Actions."