Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Isaac posted:

The fifth eleme nt is a better sci fi movie than star wars

By a wide margin.

Speaking of films influenced by Moebius, has anyone who read The Incal noticed any similarities between the arrival of the heroes to the underwater city on the Imperial Prison Planet looked an awful lot like the scene where Qui Gon and Ben arrive in the underwater Gungan city?

Plus in The Incal, there is a scene where the council tries to call for a vote of No Confidence in the Emperoress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

Oh sounds like a lot of unnecessary rules and poo poo which is why ive personably find art to be gay and art people to be the worst cause one time i was at the modern art museum and snuck into the bathroom to vape a bit of cannabix and im pretty sure this loving old man in the stall next to me called security and i got kicked out losing the most of thr value of my 15$ ticket as well as my dignity

Have u ever done art... on weed?

Applewhite posted:

By a wide margin.

Speaking of films influenced by Moebius, has anyone who read The Incal noticed any similarities between the arrival of the heroes to the underwater city on the Imperial Prison Planet looked an awful lot like the scene where Qui Gon and Ben arrive in the underwater Gungan city?

Plus in The Incal, there is a scene where the council tries to call for a vote of No Confidence in the Emperoress.

The theatre of the mind is varied, vast, and rich.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Bobert Bobertson posted:

who decides that the proper way to fight a bunch of robots is loving cloning slaves

edit: honestly they're just as lovely and misguided if the movies are to be believed. only difference is that there's literally zero women antagonists

And why were they called The Clone Wars? They were the robot wars. The Trade Dispute Wars? Something like that. For that matter, why did Yoda call them The Clone Wars when they barely even started? You don't name a war soon as it starts, it's a history and hindsight thing usually.

Did everyone adopt the name because Yoda said so? Did they just take everything that senile muppet said as gospel because he's so wise?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

And why were they called The Clone Wars? They were the robot wars. The Trade Dispute Wars? Something like that. For that matter, why did Yoda call them The Clone Wars when they barely even started? You don't name a war before it starts.

Did everyone adopt the name because Yoda said so? Did they just take everything that senile muppet said as gospel because he's so wise?

It was actually the War of Jedi Aggression.

Also, you'd think that, considering the Jedi were on the side that eventually became the evil empire, their name would be mud with most of the citizens of the galaxy.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

It was actually the War of Jedi Aggression.

Also, you'd think that, considering the Jedi were on the side that eventually became the evil empire, their name would be mud with most of the citizens of the galaxy.

The Jedi were also a weird cult who kidnapped children.

Even though they probably should've just had their own children and trained them, since the force is hereditary.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

And why were they called The Clone Wars? They were the robot wars. The Trade Dispute Wars? Something like that. For that matter, why did Yoda call them The Clone Wars when they barely even started? You don't name a war soon as it starts, it's a history and hindsight thing usually.

Official government documents started calling World War II that at least as early as 1942. I'm pretty sure the coalition and the Vietnamese started calling it the Vietnam War and the American War, respectively, really early on into it. Same with the Indochina War before that.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 8, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Automatic Slim posted:

Ugh. Is that canon?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_One

quote:

"A Jedi mission finds a lightsaber belonging to the long-dead Master Sifo-Dyas, prompting Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker to begin an investigation into his decade-old disappearance. This sparks Darth Sidious to order Darth Tyranus to clean up any loose ends that may lead the Jedi to discover the truth of the Sith conspiracy."

This is also the show that had Anakin duel Count Dooku about two dozen times over its run, and yet still went to ridiculous lengths to avoid him encountering Grievous. Because it's totally okay to say "My powers have doubled since we last me, Count!" in Revenge of the Sith, but seeing General Grievous before the film is just not allowed. A bold statement like that against Dooku loses all meaning if you've had a million fights with him before.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Official government documents started calling World War II that at least as early as 1942.

What's even freakier are the government documents that refer to "World War I" in 1916.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
ok star wars nerds explain how 50 mil clones were an effective galaxy wide army.

i know the correct answer is "lucas is a high functioning autist with no concept of scale" but I want the nerd wookiepedia insane rationalization.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Double Monocle posted:

ok star wars nerds explain how 50 mil clones were an effective galaxy wide army.

i know the correct answer is "lucas is a high functioning autist with no concept of scale" but I want the nerd wookiepedia insane rationalization.

with the estimation of the galaxy population being nearly 400 quadrilion this leaves one clone soldier for ever eight billion citizens. So if we are looking to earth as an example that would leave one soldier to look over the entire earth. hm.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Double Monocle posted:

Tell me where you got the 50 Million Clones number. The movies gave the army a size of 1.2 million, and the EU books only increased this slightly to three million before realizing they drove themselves into a corner and hastily came up with an excuse to explain the huge numbers seen in Revenge of the Sith.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I made the number up before when I asked why a planet dedicated itself to growing 50million clones, or whatever, without getting any sort of downpayment.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
maybe even though the conflict is "galaxy wide" it only takes place on a handful of key planets.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Applewhite posted:

maybe even though the conflict is "galaxy wide" it only takes place on a handful of key planets.

What i am thinking is that the clones are like the force you bring in when poo poo gets real like the swat team and the rest are like normal people/aliens/whatever that hold down the fort when there isnt some huge reistance

Moltke
May 13, 2009
It doesn't make much sense at all

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why did the clones have those fin things on their helmets? Were they supposed to fly in earlier drafts?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Why did the clones have those fin things on their helmets? Were they supposed to fly in earlier drafts?

It ties together Darth Vader's helmet. He has one too.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I've compiled the definitive list of Things in Star Wars that make sense:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Automatic Slim posted:

It ties together Darth Vader's helmet. He has one too.

That's more of a decorative ridge. Clone Trooper's helmets look like something out of the Rocketeer.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i used to like star wars before i met all of you

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FuhrerHat posted:

i used to like star wars before i met all of you

I'm sorry you have the brain of a sheep.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I still like Star Wars.

Except the prequels. And Return of the Jedi. And much of Force Awakens and parts of A New Hope.

But Empire is pretty much perfect and always will be.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
The red stripe makes them run faster.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
warhammer 40k universe is much more interesting and cool imo

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Moltke posted:

18 billion men died to take this hill. :orks:

though the IG has a special place in my heart

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Moltke posted:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bobert Bobertson posted:

IG is the best faction and I always play them in Dawn of War I and II.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
the IG are a bunch of mundane scrubs in a universe of exploding rocket guns and space magic, which in an ironic way makes them unique, imo

Moltke
May 13, 2009
In my last 40k campaign, my character left his feudal homeworld behind on the first spaceship he had ever seen, then was raped and murdered by dark eldar the first time he set foot on a different planet. 40k is great.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
gbs rogue trader night?? :rolldice:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm sorry you have the brain of a sheep.

umm i mean pre 2004 idiot...
learn to read star wars

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Double Monocle posted:

doesn't the star wars galaxy only have like a couple dozen relevant planets even if you factor in all the EU poo poo? and isn't that more than would be realistic for any galaxy populated by carbon-based lifeforms, even if they do have FTL travel?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moltke posted:

:agreed:

it's more realistic too because lol if we don't exterminate or attempt to exterminate every intelligent extraterrestrial lifeform we encounter

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Applewhite posted:

Why did the clones have those fin things on their helmets?

Because they're made by these idiots:

Better give our humans a bright red cranial fin to indicate strength and leadership.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Because they're made by these idiots:

Better give our humans a bright red cranial fin to indicate strength and leadership.

Wow if that's the real reason that's legit smart.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Entropic posted:

Why didn't they fly straight to the exhaust port instead of to the other end of a turbolaser-lined trench a couple miles away?

jfc u IDIOT bc the exhaust port was heavily defended by AA guns, while' the entrance to the trench was NOT (the AA guns could nto shoot into the trench IDIOT)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
IT'S CALLED "FL?YING UNDER THE RADAR" IN MILITARY TERMS NITWIT

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Everything to do with them was 2edgey4you wank.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Applewhite posted:

Wow if that's the real reason that's legit smart.

Ya, the battle droids are also shaped like the guys who created them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

jfc u IDIOT bc the exhaust port was heavily defended by AA guns, while' the entrance to the trench was NOT (the AA guns could nto shoot into the trench IDIOT)

What about the guns that were in the trench?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ya, the battle droids are also shaped like the guys who created them.

The Geonosians?

• Locked thread