Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't give a gently caress what anyone says and all that hoopla around idiots buying them, running 10 miles, and blowing an Achilles

Five fingers are dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't give a gently caress what anyone says and all that hoopla around idiots buying them, running 10 miles, and blowing an Achilles

This is only true if you dont change your running style, but you did day idiots.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Five fingers are dope

This is true

however vibrams are more suited for running
running is gay af
ergo vibrams are gay af
Q.E.D.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Vibrams were made for running until they had a massive lawsuit claiming false pretenses. And of course the large amount of injuries people had running on them, and the large body of knowledge showing people getting micro fractures within the metatarsals.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I used Vibrams for years and then I started running into problems with plantar fasciitis and it band strain. All went away when I switched back to a proper running shoe.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I started running with VFFs. Did couch to 5k, then a marathon, then all my runs after that. The only reason I don't still run in them is because I do lots of rocky/root laden runs and having a real sole keeps my feet from getting stone bruises and because the army won't let me use them at PT. I still have a pair (my 3rd, I wore holes in the other 2) in the closet that I may take out again in the future.

Haven't lifted in them yet, though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I have never once run in vibrams, lifting only

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Aranan posted:

I started running with VFFs. Did couch to 5k, then a marathon, then all my runs after that. The only reason I don't still run in them is because I do lots of rocky/root laden runs and having a real sole keeps my feet from getting stone bruises and because the army won't let me use them at PT. I still have a pair (my 3rd, I wore holes in the other 2) in the closet that I may take out again in the future.

Haven't lifted in them yet, though.

These are great if you didn't already know about them

Merrell Men's Trail Glove 3 Trail Running Shoe, Black/Light Grey, 11.5 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZOBTCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_AAPTwbWNMTY02

I have the last version/model. best hybrid of shoe/minimalism IMO

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

These are great if you didn't already know about them

Merrell Men's Trail Glove 3 Trail Running Shoe, Black/Light Grey, 11.5 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZOBTCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_AAPTwbWNMTY02

I have the last version/model. best hybrid of shoe/minimalism IMO

These are the tits; also can vouch for the vapor gloves...

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Merrell is pretty great. I had a pair for a while but have switched over to Inov-8 for both trail runs and track/gym time. I'll dig up links when I'm not phone poop posting later.

Inov-8 F-lite 195: It's marketed as a CROSSFIT shoe, but whatever. It's light as gently caress (195 grams), has really good grip, and is comfy as hell. I use it for lifting, running on dreadmills or on concrete/asphalt/track surfaces.
Inov-8 Trailroc 235: Inov-8 doesn't make these anymore and they've been replaced by the Terraclaw. I've tried them both on and they're super similar; I just went with the Trailrocs because they look less ugly. Really grippy and has kept me from wiping out in the swamp I run in pretty often. Haven't been able to try these out on rough trails, just packed dirt/mud/gravel so far. Still, they're comfy.

shoe sperg over

Aranan fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 7, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So is flipping tires as dumb as I always thought or what. Like I can't assume NFL athletes are doing them

I just feel like there's so many other workouts that would provide the same benefit with less a chance of injury

I mean most people just flip with their back anyways because gotta get those reps in #crossfit

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So is flipping tires as dumb as I always thought or what. Like I can't assume NFL athletes are doing them

I just feel like there's so many other workouts that would provide the same benefit with less a chance of injury

I mean most people just flip with their back anyways because gotta get those reps in #crossfit

Pretty much. It's all about ~functional strength~ and making yourself a more well-rounded strength athlete not just being able to pick up a bar loaded with wei-

:suicide:

In other news finally bumped up my bench PR to 315 for 6 and my stretch marks are slowly working their way down my biceps from my delts. Thanks for the thick lily white skin you Scotch Irish fucks.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
flipping tires loving owns

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
lmbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKr8MrXPcmE

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

What the actual gently caress?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

I don't know what hurts worse, the music that sounds like a lovely MIDI soundtrack for the spiritual B movie sibling of Hackers or the special brand of retarded enthusiastic autism it takes to not only come up with this poo poo but actually put it to tape.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
So I broke my wrist at work. Bench and deadlift are out due to the cast. Can I at least do barbell squats for the next six weeks, or am I stuck with machines that don't involve the use of my hands?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You use your wrist for squats as well. Quite a lot in fact. I wrap for heavier squats.

Sorry dude.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Looks like someone's on the leg press machine :toot:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Diver Dick posted:

So I broke my wrist at work. Bench and deadlift are out due to the cast. Can I at least do barbell squats for the next six weeks, or am I stuck with machines that don't involve the use of my hands?

Does your gym have a safety squat bar?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Front squats where you use your forearms locked across the bar could work. Might be worth a try. Think of it as an opportunity to change the routine, that's always a good thing.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

So I can't even do a bicep curl with a one pound weight without noticeable discomfort. :fuckoff:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

So I can't even do a bicep curl with a one pound weight without noticeable discomfort. :fuckoff:

bitchmade

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

poor guy needs help on his protein donut binges :( :( :( :smith:

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

You'll pry my Romaleos from my cold, dead hands.

romaleos fuckin own

also, jumping on the 'used to run in vibrams' bandwagon. they were good for getting me back into running, but then i transitioned from them to new balance minimus' and had nothing but trouble. so i just went back to the good old nike frees

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Don't know if I should've done these in the Romaleos, but either way somehow I swear my positioning is a hell of a lot better in this. My hips still come up a bit more than I'd like getting the bar off the ground and it moves like a loving glacier until I get above the knees, but it's a work in progress. Thinking of going for at least 585 conventional next week and seeing if I can't break that 6 plate mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTGMKzZnO4

PS: SGDLs are the loving devil and holy poo poo even doing 365 for triples without straps was murderous, I can't even imagine how bad 5s and 8s must be if you're not worried so much about grip and use straps for those too.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cut to 9% bodyfat, not sure where to take it from here. I'm training for competitive rowing but that won't start in earnest until July. I usually start dedicated rowing training in April so I have a month to kill. Are there any interesting or different workout plans that won't cause any big bulks or cuts?

188cm, 85 kilos if that helps.

e: Thanks for the advice or swimming and skipping, lost the winter weight easily enough.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Wouldn't this be a good time to get an edge on O2 uptake? HIIT/4x4s for example. Difficult when you're already in good shape but doable with planning and feeding.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Cutting sucks dicks, strength is still there but volume is in the shitter. Why can't I just be happy being a big, fat meatball with retard strength?

Also holy gently caress my thumbs still hurt 5 hours later from hook grip deficit deads.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm trying to improve my PT plan for myself and some of the other staff LTs I workout with during PT. Despite the fact that we're in the gym 4 days a week when I first got here I was the only one that liked lifting and they just did random poo poo more or less wasting time until it was time to leave. I came up with a PT plan we've been using for the past month but I think it can use some improvement.

Right now it's a long run 5-8 miles on Monday.

Tuesday is Chest/Shoulders:
Barbell Bench press
Incline Bench Press
dumbbell raises
standing rows
shoulder press

Wednesday Intervals and light back work:
20-30minutes of intervals
pull ups
seated rows
lat pull downs

Thursday more back:
Deadlift
Barbell Rows
Yates rows

Friday is mostly just a bunch of biceps and forearms work.

Not sure where to throw in squats. Thinking of switching Weds and Thurs. Goal is to take advantage of being able to use the gym 4 days a week for PT and get swole after losing a lot of muscle mass since joining the Army. Finally broke 200 on bench press today for the first time in 2 years.

Also, is there any point to go to my civ gym after work? I have a membership but since I've been going to the gym for PT I haven't used it much since I in processed with my unit.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Squats on friday seems the easiest fix.

If you can always work out when you want to, and the equipment you want is there, I would just use the gym on post. Especially if your civ gym is a bitch about chalk.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

NTT posted:

Squats on friday seems the easiest fix.

If you can always work out when you want to, and the equipment you want is there, I would just use the gym on post. Especially if your civ gym is a bitch about chalk.

friday is for curls.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

every day is for curls.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
put all your back stuff in 1 day you pussy

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Yeah splitting back day seems weird, and doing an interval workout right before/after a resistance workout seems like it would be counterproductive.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

elite_garbage_man posted:

put all your back stuff in 1 day you pussy

the man with square proportions would know.

also, unless youre doing 8 or 9 sets, it seems like youre doing really low volume.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Most of the exercises are 4-5 sets except for the deadlift and row day which is 7-8. I normally did all the back stuff in one day but we couldn't fit it all into the hour and a half we do PT.

Don't really know how to work running/intervals into a lifting program since before the Army all I did was lift and running was an afterthought.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Uh, I am pretty certain you learned all you need about exercising from basic training.

Maybe you should refresh to get sick army gains.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

As long as I'm 270+ on the APFT I don't really give a poo poo about being "Army Fit". I just want to get swole and strong. It would be awesome if the Army was all about getting huge and strong instead of a culture of running freaks that can't bench 135.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I am a creature of the army run culture and I can bench 165x2 and am a running freak thank you very much :smugjones:

Now if you'll excuse me I have a jar of pickles I can't open..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
you can be huge and have a high pft. you need to eat a lot and train pft stuff with your weight lifting stuff. Quit believing that poo poo "oh you can't be big and run or do 80 push ups because it's what I read on the internet". That poo poo is just not true. You need to be consistent with your pft training if you want consistent results come test day. You don't even need to go balls out on it by doing max reps every day. like 10-20 minutes of pft training on top of weightlifting will make you a monster in the gym, and a running machine that recreates the t-rex chasing the jeep scene from Jurassic Park.

4-5 sets seems pretty high to me. I like to stick to 2-3 sets depending on volume, but that's what has worked best for me. Also short rests because I hate being in the gym a long rear end time.