Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
The cables were for very high speed cross country skiing hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arcsquad12 posted:

Flying down the trench they only had to face guns IN the trench. If they flew directly at the thermal exhaust port perpendicular to the Death Star's surface, they would have faced every single loving gun on the drat thing.

Imagine being those gun crews in the trench.

"Welcome to your new assignment on the Death Star, men. Squad one, you'll command the turbo lasers surrounding the command area. I'm very proud of you. Squad two, the flight decks. Keep our brave fliers safe, men. Squad three will take the battery capable of punching a hole through a capital ship, wish I could join you. Squad four? Get in this loving trench and defend the reactor's fart tube, you guys suck."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
imagine how many civilians died in the terror attack on the death star

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Sheev doesn't care about droid people

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bobert Bobertson posted:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Bobert Bobertson posted:

what was the empire's justification for being space-racist? just 420 smoke hitler or was there some actual sentiment they had against them?

why do you expect fictional racism to be more reasonable than real racism

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Bobert Bobertson posted:

wouldn't it be roughly the same number that died in the bombing of USS Cole

because it was, you know, a military space vessel and not a town or city

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

wouldn't it be roughly the same number that died in the bombing of USS Cole

It was a military facility the size of a small moon intended to be a permanent duty station for tens of thousands of troops and officers. It definitely had a post exchange, a commissary, a movie theater, and a food court as well as a dozen other recreational facilities. All of those would be run by civilian contractors.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

In a deleted scene from ANH, Biggs tells Luke how everything is being "nationalized" like businesses, farms, and factories. Pretty sure if the Death Star had any of those non military functions they'd be run by droids or clones. Besides, boredom and frustration feed into the darkside.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Thats what the terrists say.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Automatic Slim posted:

In a deleted scene from ANH, Biggs tells Luke how everything is being "nationalized" like businesses, farms, and factories. Pretty sure if the Death Star had any of those non military functions they'd be run by droids or clones. Besides, boredom and frustration feed into the darkside.

I've got visions of the mall from System Shock 2

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Automatic Slim posted:

"Nationalized" does not mean "staffed by military employees." It just means that the jobs of the civilians who work there are controlled by the government.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Why would killing droids be better anyway? The ones we see in the movies have personality and emotions, right?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why would killing droids be better anyway? The ones we see in the movies have personality and emotions, right?

If they go too long between memory wipes, yes.

It's common procedure to wipe a droid before it can get uppity.

They're not people, after all!

:v:

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

the skeleton ones are like walking dishwashers with guns or somesuch mentally, it's the commander droids that do all the mental work

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

This one image is extremely powerful in how it describes how cynical and detached our culture has become.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Applewhite posted:

"Nationalized" does not mean "staffed by military employees." It just means that the jobs of the civilians who work there are controlled by the government.

You say civilian, but what you mean is conscript.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Applewhite posted:

What do you tow from an airplane? Bear in mind that snowspeeders were not spaceworthy, they were basically tiny planes.

maybe when one breaks down they tow it
cause the snow kangaroos cant

i guess

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

heres a true story i was in the same big brother program as a kid as hayden christensen and we went to some 3-par golf one time and he got really mad and threw his club

thats when i knew i was playing golf with DARTH VADER

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

A Strange Aeon posted:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

If they go too long between memory wipes, yes.

It's common procedure to wipe a droid before it can get uppity.

They're not people, after all!

:v:

Regular combat droids actually show empathy and capture the gungans rather then slaughtering them when the droids overrun them in that grassy field battle in Episode I. Telling them to surrender and sparing their lives in the process. Then the droids get shut down when the mothership blows up and they all just get thrown out. C-3PO and R2 have been repeatedly showing having empathy, planning, cowardliness etc. Droids are capable of fearing death yet get slaughtered for fun. Pretty messed up.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Why not shoot a jedi with a normal gun? Sure, the bullet would melt, but that fucker would end up with molten metal in his face.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Shnag posted:

Regular combat droids actually show empathy and capture the gungans rather then slaughtering them when the droids overrun them in that grassy field battle in Episode I. Telling them to surrender and sparing their lives in the process. Then the droids get shut down when the mothership blows up and they all just get thrown out. C-3PO and R2 have been repeatedly showing having empathy, planning, cowardliness etc. Droids are capable of fearing death yet get slaughtered for fun. Pretty messed up.

space oppression is a serious and real threat in jedi culture

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Why not shoot a jedi with a normal gun? Sure, the bullet would melt, but that fucker would end up with molten metal in his face.

They apparently did machine gun Jedi like thousands of years ago in a time period virtually identical to the movies with core characters Grog Skywalker, Oog Palpatine, Calvin Solo and his stiffed toy Hobbesbacca.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Shnag posted:

should i care about a thing's fear of death if it is in fact just a simulation of fear of what only superficially resembles death because the thing is not really alive

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
it wasn't the droids telling them to surrender, it was the ai on that ship. those little skeleton fuckers are just puppets

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shnag posted:

They only look like they feel fear as a defense mechanism against organics. Nobody would think twice about gunning down a stoic terminator, but even someone who knows his target is a robot will hesitate to shoot something begging for its life.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

should i care about a thing's fear of death if it is in fact just a simulation of fear of what only superficially resembles death because the thing is not really alive

But like what is really alive and what is really fear? Like we can't project our own selfish anatomical supremacy over artificial life because of the preconceived bias of our own personal
Narratives. Like you just can't know man you know ?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

The worst Star Wars movie posted:

Dexter Jettster: It's these funny little cuts on the side that give it away. Those analysis droids only focus on symbols. Huh! I should think that you Jedi would have more respect for the difference between knowledge and... heh heh heh... wisdom.

Obi-Wan: Well if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

family guy is generally bad but its star wars special was basically this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bSZXucTH4A

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Scientists once thought that animals couldn't feel pain like humans could, and the noises they made when they received damage was just a 'reaction' of sorts. So that is how they justified performing vivisections on dogs , yet they still cut their vocal cords to not hear the yelping. But we know animals can feel pain. Is the despair C-3PO showed when he thought was friends were crushed by the trash compactor less real because a robot brain showed that emotion rather then an organic one? He not only felt despair at the lost of his friends, but at his own perceived failure to save them, seems pretty unnecessary to give a robot that ability.

With that mind set, is a human with a mental disability less human if they handle their emotions differently?

Applewhite posted:

They only look like they feel fear as a defense mechanism against organics. Nobody would think twice about gunning down a stoic terminator, but even someone who knows his target is a robot will hesitate to shoot something begging for its life.

But its was more then that, they also said things like "uh oh!" and could be surprised. And those droids were just one of the more simple minded ones.

I know starwars is all fantasy, but its interesting to think about what sort of rights AI would have if we truly created it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Michaellaneous posted:

Easier to use the force to block a bullet than a laser.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yes but the bullet won't disappear? I mean, that's not how lightsabers work, right? The bullet would pass through the beam of super hot light, it would melt, but it would still have speed and kinetic energy. Light can't block matter.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes but the bullet won't disappear? I mean, that's not how lightsabers work, right? The bullet would pass through the beam of super hot light, it would melt, but it would still have speed and kinetic energy. Light can't block matter.

Lightsabers are not made purely of light, they're more of a plasma chainsaw.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

hell, in the new movie a laser gets blocked, i think one piece of lead would too

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Lightsabers are not made purely of light, they're more of a plasma chainsaw.

Okay so the bullet would literally disintegrate upon touching the sword? Interesting.

e: Really, again, just use shotguns.
Laser shotguns.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 9, 2016

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

Laser shotguns.

too unforcemanslike

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Michaellaneous posted:

Okay so the bullet would literally disintegrate upon touching the sword? Interesting.

Laser shotguns.

immediately become plasma and get stuck in the magnetic field maybe.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
what if we just built a wall around the jedi?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Michaellaneous posted:

Laser shotguns.

You could just use the force to stop or block them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I would say cut off their funding, but that Galaxy doesn't run on money. Apparently intergalactic armies and star fleets are free for everyone.

• Locked thread