Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Futaba Anzu posted:

You guys are all going to be eating your words once people find out about the hidden karma stat that gets tanked every time you kill an animal.

I'm cool with that. Was negative karma in Ultima Online.

vyst posted:

You should be labeled an outlaw if you kill a dog.

They should give me a ticker tape parade for cleaning the streets of stray animals that are potential disease bearers.

LumberingTroll posted:

Getting emotional over killing a pixel animal, dog or other wise is dumb, you don't get sad when you shoot some one in the head.

Shooting guys in the head, OK. Dogs... not OK?

LumberingTroll posted:

As for the warping glitch during beta, it was causes because people could go out of bounds in the DZ and it would take them back to the safe room. I did not see any mention of this being fixed in the patch notes. Its obnoxious, but the only way I can see it being fixed is if the bounds are treated as a solid wall while you are in the DZ, or if it just killed you instead (this would be the best fix)

I can't see why they would care about the dark zone teleport exploit. It seems it's a beta only issue, but it was annoying as gently caress and I hope they fix it. If the release north wall of the Dark Zone has the same wall, we'll run into the same issue.

blackguy32 posted:

How processor intensive are games nowadays? I am willing to buy another video card, but if I have to replace my i7 Quad core 2.7 ghz, it would mean that I would have to replace the motherboard too. Then I might just pick it up for PS4. I know gently caress all about processors.

I'll chime in at an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.3Ghz that's 4 years old. Ran low settings and got 60fps at 1080p on a GYX670. Was 30fps on high. I got a 980ti in the mail, so I'll tell you if it's bottlenecking it, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Dogs are big dumb babies who don't know what's goin' on. The dogs in this game never even hurt anybody out of instinct far as i've seen, shooting them's super uncool.

Shooting murderous looters and ethnic cleansers are (so far) portrayed as being fully cognizant and proud of being video game villains, they're pretty cool to shoot.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Except its not a dog, its pixels in a videogame. get over it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

dive-roll into dogs erryday

also civilians and jtf members

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

Except its not a dog, its pixels in a videogame. get over it.

I'm just pixels on your screen, get over me not getting over it :colbert:

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
My gamer tag is pussydestroyer69 so people know when they see me online that I am probably murdering millions of innocent video game cats without even thinking about it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have seen zero people give a gently caress about it on the internet. But is something new and curious.

We are just bored and waiting for the next beta window.

quote:

Has anyone notice that one of the upgrades of our base is the canine unit?

http://thedivision.wikia.com/wiki/Canine_Unit

It gives 1 perk and two talents:

Repo Reaper: Kill a hostile with the sidearm to receive 1 magazine for your primary weapon.
One is One: Headshot a hostile to have a 50% chance of not consuming the bullet.
Intel Discovery: When completing all Side Missions and Encounters in a Named Zone, reveal all undiscovered Intel on the map.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 11, 2016

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

My gamer tag is pussydestroyer69 so people know when they see me online that I am probably murdering millions of innocent video game cats without even thinking about it

YOU MONSTER :nms:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
If a game has animals that interact with the player, the player needs a Pet Animal button :buddy:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

If a game has animals that interact with the player, the player needs a Pet Animal button :buddy:

Missed an opportunity with dog interactions in this game imo

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 11, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

It would be kinda cool if you could find dog food, feed a dog and it would then fetch you and item, do a trick or follow you a bit...

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Duh, feeding the dog makes it fetch an item from a garbage pile for you, much like civs drop you items.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Until your canine pal contracts the disease and you have to re-enact that scene from I am legend.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

Until your canine pal contracts the disease and you have to re-enact that scene from I am legend.

I like the ending of "I am legend" when he notice that for the culture of the vampires, he (the hunter) is a legend. That he has turned into a inverse dracula, that only exist on myths and legends.
That now he is the monster, and the vampires are the new normal society.

I liked the movie, but I was surprised they changed the ending. Is like the loving POINT of the novel. Is there in the loving title.

Some people in this thread theorize that maybe here in The Division we will see a twist where we go rogue against out control structure, but I doubt it. The way the factions are presetend, some factions may cooperate in some events, but they have too different goals. And the game seems presented in a way that make us (the player) a hero. Except shooting dogs, we are Mr. Cool Guy Fancypants, rescueing damsels in distress and giving drinks to these in need. Mother Teresa, with Guns.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

Some people in this thread theorize that maybe here in The Division we will see a twist where we go rogue against out control structure, but I doubt it. The way the factions are presetend, some factions may cooperate in some events, but they have too different goals. And the game seems presented in a way that make us (the player) a hero. Except shooting dogs, we are Mr. Cool Guy Fancypants, rescueing damsels in distress and giving drinks to these in need. Mother Teresa, with Guns.

I don't see how fighting your homebase would make a meaningful difference. Factions and their background stories are not really important. The story is basically gun nut fantasy 101 already:
"Normal people" who waited for years now get to save the day by shooting their guns at bad dudes in the streets.
That's very close to an often cited reason for owning guns "One day we will need them, when our Government starts a war on us". Fair enough not the government per se (at least not going from current available backstory) , but the Stormtrooper faction seems close enough.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hopper posted:

.. , but the Stormtrooper faction seems close enough.

This dude has ben glitching out of bounds and exploring random places, and have managed to find one LMB soldier

https://youtu.be./1Y9YKavBqp0?t=4m33s

Rather cool stuff.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 11, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ps4 goon here, thinking about picking this up.

Didn't play the beta and haven't really seen a lot about this game. For those of you who know, could I get like a couple of top pros and cons to the game?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The Bananana posted:

Didn't play the beta and haven't really seen a lot about this game. For those of you who know, could I get like a couple of top pros and cons to the game?

I think there's an open beta coming up in a week or so. Don't know many details but that might help you decide. There's a few videos around of the previous beta that can give you an idea of how it plays, including a Giant Bomb one that potentially sold me on the game. I think the biggest potential con is depth and longevity, but no one really knows yet.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Some of these are opinions of mine, should be fairly obvious.

Pros: Gorgeous game. Lots of little details put into the (fairly accurate to the real city) environment. RPG cover based third person shootmans and looting in a post-apocalyptic New York that doesn't have zombies. Dark Zone shenanigans, when people aren't abusing exploits or cheating is pretty fun. The UI is very well designed (IMO), however there is some clunkiness with the inventory management.

Cons: Made by Ubisoft. Requires Uplay. Unlike their previous titles, I did not have an issue getting this particular game registered, installed, or running. We don't know what the rest of the game is like. The current content technically ends at level 5-6 out of 30, so we're missing out on a *lot* of perks and skills. There's a season pass for DLC already out for them to nickle and dime impulse buyers. Load times are pretty dang long on the PC.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

The Bananana posted:

Shooting feels good, looting feels good, it's got top notch sound design, music and purdy garfix on all platforms, dark zone is a cool mix of PvE/PvP that's only as competitive as people make it (and is largely based around the concept of "what if DayZ actually had game design and lacked boring-rear end zombies"), it generally feels cohesive in a way Ubisoft games of this scale haven't felt in a long time.

Lots of balance worries, though. The beta did a terrible job of presenting enough tools to get a feel for the balance at all, since they locked off entire mechanics (equipment crafting, base upgrading, most of the skill tree) that will absolutely tip the scales in the launch version. Worries of lack of content come release day aren't wholly unfounded, either, especially since that's the hot new thing that even the "best" modern AAA games have gained a bad habit of doing.

But it has Certified Alien Space Boyfriend Garrus Vakarian voicing your little computer announcer thing so all the games sins are already forgiven.

seriously as much as i love him why is Brandon Keener everywhere now he literally patches himself through to a transmission from himself in xcom 2 what is happening

Gravy Jones posted:

I think there's an open beta coming up in a week or so. Don't know many details but that might help you decide. There's a few videos around of the previous beta that can give you an idea of how it plays, including a Giant Bomb one that potentially sold me on the game. I think the biggest potential con is depth and longevity, but no one really knows yet.

The GB Unfinished video on the closed beta brought me from "all these previews look boring why is anybody interested in this duller-than-watch_dogs skinner box cover shooter in 2016" to "this is rad i'm getting my rear end in this beta right the hell now"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Bananana posted:

Its basically multiplayer online grand theft auto with no cars. The cover mechanics are better than any other cover shooter i"ve played, but its still a cover shooter.

The pros are that it does what Destiny was supposed to but didn't; you can run around and find random people and team up with them and have random encounters driven by player content.

Read up on the Dark Zone, or DZ. Its what makes this game worth playing. Its a big free for all where loot you pick up has to be secured, and you can ambush other players on the way to secure loot and kill them and take their loot, but then other players will come for you. Or you can team up with people and work together. Its pretty drat fun and dynamic.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a touch disappointed that they didn't go for stealth-action, considering the presence of silencers and mechanics taken almost-wholesale from the later Splinter Cell games, but stealth's absence doesn't seem to have affected the tactical element really negatively, so it's no biggie. They're focusing on making a specific gameplay loop and i respect that.

I'm guessing the "reduced threat" stat on silencers means that NPCs will prioritize other targets with a higher threat stat, which is silly and gamey as hell but certainly a unique take on silencer mechanics.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Payday 2 handles them the same, most silencers reduce the threat rating of guns in that game, so cops shoot other bad guys instead of you. I think it's a good mechanic and less gamey than the ability to execute someone 2 meters from his buddy without him noticing, just because your gunshot is not leading to permanent hearing damage thanks to your silencer.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Bananana posted:

Hello fellow PS4 goon. You can play for yourself on the 19th, but as someone who played a lot of the beta:

PROS:
* I had fun
* Cover system is pretty neat
* The PvP Dark Zone was much more interesting / fun that I thought it would be
* Game ran very well
* No loading screens unless you fast-travel
* Lots of RPG character stuff if that's your bag

CONS:
* Mission(s) were not epic groundbreaking works of game design
* Um, probably a couple more, but I can't think of any

Basically, if you are expecting a fun, solid game that will maintain interest for a decent amount of time, I think you will like This Game. If you are expecting a genre redefining transcendent experience, you will be underwhelmed.

After playing the Beta, I went from "oh, yeah, The Division... I'll check it out" to "I pre-ordered the Gold Edition".

Thank you for reading my summary.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Feindfeuer posted:

Payday 2 handles them the same, most silencers reduce the threat rating of guns in that game, so cops shoot other bad guys instead of you. I think it's a good mechanic and less gamey than the ability to execute someone 2 meters from his buddy without him noticing, just because your gunshot is not leading to permanent hearing damage thanks to your silencer.

Oh sure, I ain't opposed to gamey stuff, and i guess you could justify it by saying it's an abstraction of muzzle flash reducing effects or something, but either way it's whatever.

Genuinely realistic suppressors would be boring and pointless in almost any video game. Even the ARMA series bends the rules a bit to make them effective in ways they could never be in actuality.

Now here's hoping this game doesn't take some uh, other notes from Payday 2 any time down the road :v:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I didn't read any statement from Ubi saying they will never include micro-transactions, so they can't break that promise. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://kotaku.com/the-division-s-second-beta-includes-some-promising-twea-1758305879

quote:

“Non-Player Enemies in the DarkZone have been significantly increased in number.”
“A new warning icon has been added to indicate an Agent who has shot another player but has not done enough damage to go Rogue.”

Awesome. Exactly the things I wanted changed.

Deployable turrets will be unlocked in the next beta phase as well.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 11, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Con:
Is a Ubisoft game, they may kill the community with some bullshit decision.
The game only have one enemy type: human, and the mission seems designed has meatgrinders. Think Dungeon Siege type of Rpg.
Replayability of the pve?

Pro:
The darkzone is already fun for many hours to come.
The graphics are amazing. In the PS4 is absurd levels of detail everywhere.
Clear UI with nice details and lots of things to upgrade.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ubisoft real talk: I hate them too but hopefully they are turning over a new leaf and going to do dlc like in siege where the dlc does not separate the community at all and everyone gets maps and game modes. With their announced dlc so far not sure how they will manage that but here's hoping.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
its like Destiny but replace the one thing they got perfect (the aesthetic) with the blandest possible generic army mans bullshit thats been plaguing fps games for the past 2 decades.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
Those patch notes address pretty much every issue I had with the beta, so good on them.

I'm really glad they changed the way the manhunt timer works. In the previous beta the options as a manhunted rogue were "Hole up and be eternally at 300 seconds if anyone at all was interested in fighting you" or "Benny Hill it across the DZ with 12 guys chasing you spamming your heal on cooldown"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mr. Unlucky posted:

its like Destiny but replace the one thing they got perfect (the aesthetic) with the blandest possible generic army mans bullshit thats been plaguing fps games for the past 2 decades.

I think you mean to say that it's like Destiny but without the gay uninspired sci-fi/psuedo fantasy poo poo that has been plaguing rpgs.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mr. Unlucky posted:

That's my problem, Mass Effect 3 multi-player was a cover shooter with 4 enemy factions that had 6+ unique units in each faction.

So far this game has humans and one unit that has a flamethrower.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Lol suck a big ol butt

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Fool posted:

I think you mean to say that it's like Destiny but without the gay uninspired sci-fi/psuedo fantasy poo poo that has been plaguing rpgs.

Now this guy on the other hand? He's got it right

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Ulvirich posted:

Cons: Made by Ubisoft. Requires Uplay. Unlike their previous titles, I did not have an issue getting this particular game registered, installed, or running.

It's made by Massive, Ubisoft is the publisher. The teams that made lovely Ubisoft games of past aren't the ones making The Division.

As far as Uplay, it's a throw away account you make to log into their service on PC or PS4. Install issues aren't there for PS4.

quote:

We don't know what the rest of the game is like. The current content technically ends at level 5-6 out of 30, so we're missing out on a *lot* of perks and skills. There's a season pass for DLC already out for them to nickle and dime impulse buyers. Load times are pretty dang long on the PC.

That's the only thing really, it's hard to tell end game based off a slice of the early game.

But coat felt good, it looks like from beta patches they're willing to change mechanics in DZ and a balance for people going rogue and the penalty for death while rogue need a better balance. If the penalty is too harsh, the DZ has no point if there isn't a good risk vs reward.

And gently caress DLC and season passes announced before the game is out. It's like you know your game is already obsolete before you get to play it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

You guys have given me a lot to think about. Probably gonna buy. Gold edition worth it? Considering how much I loved siege, I really kicked myself for not getting the gold version of it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tei posted:

The graphics are amazing. In the PS4 is absurd levels of detail everywhere.
Seriously. I don't know who posted earlier in the thread that the game "looks like rear end on PS4" but they're crazy or blind. It's only 900p on xb1 but looks good there too

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Bananana posted:

You guys have given me a lot to think about. Probably gonna buy. Gold edition worth it? Considering how much I loved siege, I really kicked myself for not getting the gold version of it.
My guess is that it will basically be mandatory, but all we can do is predict. It's an online game and in an online game if you don't have the new areas you're usually left all alone and have nothing to do. Could be even more so in this game where the grind seems to be quick, but we don't know how that slows down when you have more than a weekend's beta to play. Personally I think I will grab it just because I can get the 20% discount from Amazon Prime, so it's only $20 more than I want to pay for the game instead of $40. Gonna see how I feel after the open beta weekend though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Unlucky posted:

The thing Destiny got perfect is what it feels like to fire a weapon or use a power.

• Locked thread