Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't have much love for Xevious, honestly - everything it did well was immediately bettered by other games and the music is maddening.

Holy poo poo this. I imagine Hell has that on repeat for all eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What is people's opinions on the Super Everdrive vs the SNES2SD? The price difference is pretty big, In the only important thing you are missing out on in terms of game compatibility (that matters) is the Megaman X games. Also the SNES2SD project has not been updated since August last year.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What is people's opinions on the Super Everdrive vs the SNES2SD? The price difference is pretty big, In the only important thing you are missing out on in terms of game compatibility (that matters) is the Megaman X games. Also the SNES2SD project has not been updated since August last year.

The SD2SNES is a neat thing if you're interested in playing MSU-1 patched games. Unfortunately, ikari is slow with updates but that's due to his personal life and this is just a hobby to him really.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
So i was able to get the 2nd Last copy of 8 Bit Music Power off PlayAsia.

More gimmicky Famicom releases, people. If only it was a Famicom Disk release, Then I would have paid serious :retrogames:. I mean there's probably a lot of Famicom disks with crap Bandai games that could be repurposed.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I bought a Wii at Goodwill today for 15 bucks. Had all of the cables and two Wiimotes. Pretty unremarkable, but here's the interesting part: I fire it up, and there's a copy of Mario Party 8 inside.

Since I already have MP8, I pretty much just got a free Wii!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

shyduck posted:

I bought a Wii at Goodwill today for 15 bucks. Had all of the cables and two Wiimotes. Pretty unremarkable, but here's the interesting part: I fire it up, and there's a copy of Mario Party 8 inside.

Yet you still managed to get ripped off!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

shyduck posted:

You should double-check which versions of MP8 you have. The game is invariably 4x3 AR; IIRC the first print run of the game had bright blue side bars for Widescreen sets, which would damage certain TV's if you played longer games. Later versions of the game have, I think, safer dark grey side bars.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

midge posted:

Yet you still managed to get ripped off!
Hooray! :v:

I'm probably going to end up flipping it. There's at least one game store by me that'll give me 27 bucks credit for it, so that's a win.

univbee posted:

You should double-check which versions of MP8 you have. The game is invariably 4x3 AR; IIRC the first print run of the game had bright blue side bars for Widescreen sets, which would damage certain TV's if you played longer games. Later versions of the game have, I think, safer dark grey side bars.
I'll be sure to check that out, thanks for the heads up. I actually haven't played either of these specific copies yet as I got the first one literally a week ago, but I'll be sure to do so before any trades are made.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tyson Tomko posted:

With DCs still being cheap and easy to find I'd personally say go for it and burn away but to each his own.

And if the drive ever does go out, just burn yo' house down buy a USB-GDROM. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I posted this in the Megaman thread but I might as well post it here as well: a translated interview with Akira Kitamura, the director of MM1/2! http://shmuplations.com/megaman/

The dude hasn't done a ton of interviews and most of what we know about him is conjecture from people looking to discredit Inafune or whatever, so it's nice to get something directly from the source for a change.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Cables for my XRGB finally came in and yeah the SNES looks sooooooooo nice. Other systems are going to have to wait for mods, sadly. I do notice the vertical line thing for the SNES but it's so hard to see, I never would've known to look for it otherwise. Can't say it really bothers me.

In checking my library weirdly the only game that appears to have had its battery die is Yoshi's Island. Even Zelda 2 which I tried out last week still had some saves from 25+ years ago.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I posted this in the Megaman thread but I might as well post it here as well: a translated interview with Akira Kitamura, the director of MM1/2! http://shmuplations.com/megaman/

The dude hasn't done a ton of interviews and most of what we know about him is conjecture from people looking to discredit Inafune or whatever, so it's nice to get something directly from the source for a change.

I read this morning, it is amazing. His design decisions as spelled out are mindblowing. I immediately went to Patreon and gave Shmupilations $20 a month because this poo poo is so important.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

So I'm going to take the plunge on getting a Dreamcast – it's gonna be my first Sega console!

I know I'm going to have to get some extra cables to get it to work with my HDTV. Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00HPU96FI

http://smile.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-1080p-Converter-Adapter/dp/B009L4X3ZA

If there's anything else I should know as a new DC owner, please tell me. I'm absolutely open to game recommendations too – I ordered Crazy Taxi and Chu Chu Rocket, and the next on my list is Soul Calibur. Generally I enjoy weird/action/racing/fighting/puzzle games that aren't super difficult. I was considering Jet Grind Radio but I heard it gets really frustrating so I was kind of hesitant.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So I'm going to take the plunge on getting a Dreamcast – it's gonna be my first Sega console!

I know I'm going to have to get some extra cables to get it to work with my HDTV. Does anyone have any experience with these?

If there's anything else I should know as a new DC owner, please tell me. I'm absolutely open to game recommendations too – I ordered Crazy Taxi and Chu Chu Rocket, and the next on my list is Soul Calibur. Generally I enjoy weird/action/racing/fighting/puzzle games that aren't super difficult. I was considering Jet Grind Radio but I heard it gets really frustrating so I was kind of hesitant.

ILLBLEED

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Welcome to the club! Dreamcast is awesome.

I can only comment on the VGA cable since luckily my HDTV has a built-in VGA input, but I've had no issues with it. Works as intended.

If you're looking for a unique puzzle game, get Wetrix+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1qC6ZmULo

shyduck fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 11, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

shyduck posted:

Welcome to the club! Dreamcast is awesome.

I can only comment on the VGA cable since luckily my HDTV has a built-in VGA input, but I've had no issues with it. Works as intended.

If you're looking for a unique puzzle game, get Wetrix+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1qC6ZmULo
aqua aqua on the ps2 also rules btw

and on the dreamcast get Cannon Spike

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Get an S-Video adapter too, because a few big-name games dont do VGA.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

d0s posted:

You can take out the ridge racer 1 PSX disc after the inital load and put your own audio CD in, this was actually advertised as a feature and I remember doing it a lot

Panty Saluter posted:

The only downside is it would still seek based on the Ridge Racer TOC, so it would skip to the middle of songs, etc.

Rush's Moving Pictures CD fits the format remarkably well, skipping very little content IIRC, and that was my go-to back in high school.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The Powerstone series should be right up your alley; in fact, all of Capcom's fighting games on the platform are exceptional. Also, as the world's only fan of the series, I have to recommend Psychic Force 2012 even if you're four years too late. And naturally, Typing of the Dead is a must.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

This over and over and over again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Good luck finding a copy though :(

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, Rez, Project Justice, Record of Lodoss War, Crazy Taxi 2, Sega Bass Fishing 1 + 2, Sega Marine Fishing, Bangai-O, Mr. Driller, Space Channel 5 and Timestalkers in addition to everyone else's suggestions and what you're already buying should give you a good feel for the DC. Also, make sure to get a fishing rod controller and a jump/rumble pack.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So I've tried running some old school arcade games the past hour using MAME. Apparently not every version of MAME supports all roms? I dl'd the latest stable release, only to realise none of the roms registered. It's stuff like Dig Dug, Berzerk, and Pacman. I'm currently using 0.10, and most of it works, but I'm thinking maybe there's a definite release for revisiting old school games.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Silhouette posted:

Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, Rez, Project Justice, Record of Lodoss War, Crazy Taxi 2, Sega Bass Fishing 1 + 2, Sega Marine Fishing, Bangai-O, Mr. Driller, Space Channel 5 and Timestalkers in addition to everyone else's suggestions and what you're already buying should give you a good feel for the DC. Also, make sure to get a fishing rod controller and a jump/rumble pack.

Also Power Stone, 3rd Strike, Mahvel, Ikaruga and definitely Jet Set Radioooooooo.

I also like the Sonic Adventure games a lot and they're fun games but they're also kind of bad games that so happen to be fun and have aged horribly so YMMV.

_____!
May 2, 2004

All the big titles have been mentioned but I'd like to mention Cosmic Smash for Dreamcast. It is like 3D pong from Tron. It may be a touch harder than you're looking for but you may still have fun with it since it satisfies both the puzzle and the weird recommendation and hey, I'm assuming you aren't tracking down original copies for all of these games so the most you lose out on is a CD-R.

_____! fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 11, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

_____! posted:

All the big titles have been mentioned but I'd like to mention Cosmic Smash for Dreamcast. It is like 3D pong from Tron. It may be a touch harder than you're looking for but you may still have fun with it since it satisfies both the puzzle and the weird recommendation and hey, I'm assuming you aren't tracking down original copies for all of these games so the most you lose out on is a CD-R.

Yeah I don't see this game recommended nearly as much as it should be, it's actually a Naomi arcade port like many of the DC's best games. My recs would be (trying to only name stuff that hasn't been mentioned): Radirgy, Karous, Cannon Spike, Charge n Blast, Tee Off and it's Japan-only sequel Golf Shiyouyo 2, Guilty Gear X, Project Justice, Psychic Force 2012, Puyo Puyo 4, Record of Lodoss War, Rippin Riders, Tokyo Bus Guide, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1/2 (way better than it's dumb title suggests), and one of these:

e: so much for making recs others haven't, should have read previous posts more carefully :v:

d0s fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 11, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

_____! posted:

This is one of my all time favorite games. Rez and Cosmic Smash occupy the top 2 spots in my favorite games of all time list. Rez HD on the XBox 360 is the best version of it, but the Dreamcast version is 2nd best. The PS2 version was blurry and choppy where the Dreamcast version is very crisp for a standard definition very stylized game.

Cosmic Smash is better on the Dreamcast than the arcade for the simple reason of the trick shot having a separate button instead of having to hit both buttons together in the arcade version. Aside from that, I think they are identical.

Also, Shenmue 2's Dreamcast release is the best because you get Japanese audio and English subtitles instead of the terrible English dubbing available on the XBox version.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

d0s posted:

e: so much for making recs others haven't, should have read previous posts more carefully :v:

One time I saw a green goblin in a used bookstore for $40 but I didn't buy it because I'm a retard :doh:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mike12345 posted:

So I've tried running some old school arcade games the past hour using MAME. Apparently not every version of MAME supports all roms? I dl'd the latest stable release, only to realise none of the roms registered. It's stuff like Dig Dug, Berzerk, and Pacman. I'm currently using 0.10, and most of it works, but I'm thinking maybe there's a definite release for revisiting old school games.

the latest release is 0.170 and you need the matching romset for each version. So you need the 0.170 romset. put the romset in the roms folder without unzipping anything and go to file->audit all sets in mameui. you're still going to come up with a lot of missing stuff but ignore it. use the folders on the left to navigate and right click on them and choose "custom filters" to filter out non working stuff and MESS stuff (non arcade garbage that has been added to MAME for some reason).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silhouette posted:

Rez has better versions nowadays, with a new one coming for the PS4. Adding to the list;

• Power Stone 1&2
  • Shenmue 1&2
  • Soul Calibur
  • Crazy Taxi
  • ecco the Dolphin
  • Capcom vs SNK
  • Tech Romancer
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
  • Grandia 2 (also now available on Steam with a new non-hosed PC version ported from the Dreamcast version)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

d0s posted:

the latest release is 0.170 and you need the matching romset for each version. So you need the 0.170 romset. put the romset in the roms folder without unzipping anything and go to file->audit all sets in mameui. you're still going to come up with a lot of missing stuff but ignore it. use the folders on the left to navigate and right click on them and choose "custom filters" to filter out non working stuff and MESS stuff (non arcade garbage that has been added to MAME for some reason).

Oh, romsets are tied to releases.... I remember that now. Ok, that makes it easier. (those garbage 'games' are irritating though)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

King Vidiot posted:

Good luck finding a copy though :(

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Minute-Branded-Recordable-Disc/dp/B003ZDNZSI

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

One time I saw a green goblin in a used bookstore for $40 but I didn't buy it because I'm a retard :doh:

Should have bought two of them on clearance like some of us in this thread. :smug:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The best Dreamcast games are NFL 2K3 and NBA 2K3, which are still somehow the best available football and basketball games you can play

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

The best Dreamcast games are NFL 2K3 and NBA 2K3, which are still somehow the best available football and basketball games you can play

Probably because EA refused to make any Dreamcast games so 2K\Sega made them instead

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Gammatron 64 posted:

Probably because EA refused to make any Dreamcast games so 2K\Sega made them instead

I mean on any system, those games are better than the current 16 versions of both those sports' games

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Should have bought two of them on clearance like some of us in this thread. :smug:

Really you need four in order to play Marvel vs. Capcom's DC exclusive no-controller-swap tag team mode.

Also did anyone say Chu Chu Rocket yet? Get Chu Chu Rocket.EDIT: You are way ahead of me here. Good job.

There's also Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble 4, which as far as I can tell from looking around online is one of the best releases in the series.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 11, 2016

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get an S-Video adapter too, because a few big-name games dont do VGA.

Which ones? I have my Dreamcast hooked up VGA and I can't think of any major game that doesn't work with this setup.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Most notably, Air Force Delta, Bangai-O, the Jojo fighting game, all the SNK fighters, and a few that you have to use a bootdisk for VGA to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I said a copy, not a hundred copies! :v:

• Locked thread