Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BIG CLOUDZZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
there was a very brief time in my life when i thought about trying vaping because i used to smoke cigarettes and at one time enjoyed shisha at hookah bars but then i saw the type of people that were vaping and was like wow drat glad i dodged that bullet

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Why is vaping suddenly so popular? Did some new tech drive the cost down? Did weed vaping open the doors? Who is unleashing this retard phenomenon?

MauveAvenger
Dec 12, 2004

It's 'I hope we never part'. Now get it right or pay the price!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nuts and Gum posted:

Why is vaping suddenly so popular? Did some new tech drive the cost down? Did weed vaping open the doors? Who is unleashing this retard phenomenon?

Some guy in china who after his father died from smoking wanted to create a safe alternative.

quote:

A Chinese pharmacist and smoker, Han Lik, set forth to develop electronic cigarettes after his father died of lung cancer. Seeing a way to transform tragedy into a positive, he created this method that enabled smokers to have nicotine through inhalation, without smoke, tobacco, and the many thousands of chemicals that are part of the production of cigarettes. The company he worked for was in support of him fully, and through their backing, Lik turned his ideas into reality. The company then assumed the name Ruyan, meaning �like smoke.� The Chinese market took to them almost immediately.

This is why those ecigs that looked like cigs were everywhere, they were all cheap Chinese crap. Happy explosions.

It comes down to cost and "safety".

Vaping is also kinda the wrong word for it also because there is no vaporizing going on. Ecigs work more like an aerosol.

quote:

The primary parts that make up an e-cigarette are a mouthpiece, a cartridge (tank), a heating element/atomizer, a microprocessor, a battery, and possibly a LED light on the end. An atomizer comprises a small heating element that vaporizes e-liquid and wicking material that draws liquid onto the coil. When the user pushes a button. or inhales a pressure sensor activates the heating element that atomizes the liquid solution; The e-liquid reaches a temperature of roughly 100-250 °C within a chamber to create an aerosolized vapor.

Guess it sounds cooler.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 10, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

:cawg:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Tenzarin posted:

Vaping is also kinda the wrong word for it also because there is no vaporizing going on. Ecigs work more like an aerosol.

quote:

An atomizer comprises a small heating element that vaporizes e-liquid and wicking material that draws liquid onto the coil.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Tenzarin posted:

This is the cheapest and biggest ripoff of the ecigs.

Unless you are buying in bulk you are paying $15 for 10 ml of liquid.

I do buy in bulk, and it's saving me about a £1000 a year compared with real cigarettes so I'm quite happy with that. :)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

vaping is even funnier to consider people are pretty much taking fog machines and filling them with fruit punch and huffing the gas through a straw

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i still think they look like robots parts

but not just any part. the part i think they look like ..is the weiner

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i still think they look like robots parts

but not just any part. the part i think they look like ..is the weiner

Well I think you're just being strident. Just sitting there, being louche.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I had a goon help me make up this once for my bathtub homemade juice:

So yeah, it looks like a dong.

But most mods these days are little boxes. They just look like little boxes with displays for the most part. No fun.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

thylacine posted:

I had a goon help me make up this once for my bathtub homemade juice:

So yeah, it looks like a dong.

But most mods these days are little boxes. They just look like little boxes with displays for the most part. No fun.

The box is to contain the battery when it explodes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

weed vaping has been around for way longer, though the technology used to be a bit cruder. I bought my first weed vaporizer in the 90's and it was nothing like the nice sleek pens and whatnot we have today, it was a glass sphere with a little hot plate inside that you would heat up to the right temperature and then there was a hose to inhale the vapor out of. not exactly portable since you had to plug it into the wall, but it definitely got you real high

this whole tobacco juice ecig vaping thing with the "rigs" and poo poo like that is completely different and seems to have spread everywhere at an insane speed. like I heard a little bit about ecigs online but rarely saw them anywhere, then all of a sudden there were "vape stores" everywhere. in the last two years ive seen them everywhere from the middle of Manhattan to stripmalls out in the middle of nowhere in Mississipi or Montana to small French and English villages. it seems like a big industry that sprung up practically overnight and its really weird.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Ok glad I'm not crazy. This did seem to spring up overnight. The origin story is cool, I wonder how the Chinese dude who started it feels about vapebros

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nuts and Gum posted:

My brother bought one to help him quit smoking. But also Australia has a massive tax on regular cigs so it winds up cheaper in the long run.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
vit snus is like vaping in the sense that you can quit smoking with it, except it's not like vaping because no one sees you do it and you don't need a chinese fire hazard to do it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slugnoid posted:

My brother bought one to help him quit smoking. But also Australia has a massive tax on regular cigs so it winds up cheaper in the long run.

I'm in Australia now and I've seen way less people vaping than in the US or UK or France

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's true, people still look at you like you're a fuckwit if you vape in Australia

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

extra stout posted:

vit snus is like vaping in the sense that you can quit smoking with it, except it's not like vaping because no one sees you do it and you don't need a chinese fire hazard to do it

As far as I can tell from google; Snus is healthier than smoking and dipping but less healthy than vaping assuming your juice isn't straight up poison or battery explodes. Healthy being a subjective term.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Slugnoid posted:

That's true, people still look at you like you're a fuckwit if you vape

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the disembodied hand

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I'm in Australia now and I've seen way less people vaping than in the US or UK or France

It's borderline impossible to get through customs

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

HAmbONE posted:

As far as I can tell from google; Snus is healthier than smoking and dipping but less healthy than vaping assuming your juice isn't straight up poison or battery explodes. Healthy being a subjective term.

Vaping must be healthier because it's illegal to sell SNUS to minors because it's a tobacco product, but even little kids are hopping on the vape train because what 5 year old wouldn't want to inhale a cloud of lollipops?

Repackaging nicotine as candy is kind of a dick thing to do and is why flavored cigarettes are illegal around these parts now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/lVKXtfv.webm

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'll stick to my vapexhale, thanks

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Vape store just opened up in my town in the storefront behind the piggly wiggly that's been closed down for like 20 years

it is right next to the used videogame shop

I call that section of town Neckbeard City

there's an empty store there still; could open up a boardgame store

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Earwicker posted:

this whole tobacco juice ecig vaping thing with the "rigs" and poo poo like that is completely different and seems to have spread everywhere at an insane speed. like I heard a little bit about ecigs online but rarely saw them anywhere, then all of a sudden there were "vape stores" everywhere. in the last two years ive seen them everywhere from the middle of Manhattan to stripmalls out in the middle of nowhere in Mississipi or Montana to small French and English villages. it seems like a big industry that sprung up practically overnight and its really weird.
Cool history lession, I prob will get wrong but oh well.

In 2009-ish there was a cigalike shop in the mall I worked in. They charged $250 for 310 ecgis. And then like $10 for the refills.

These have stupid low mAh( milliampere per hour) around 200-300 mAh.

Milliamp Hours, or mAh is a unit used to quantify how long a battery will last given a constant power draw, but it is frequently used as a means to describe energy storage capacity as well.
A higher number means that the battery can store more energy, so it has a higher capacity. Of course, this also means longer battery life for a given usage.

Refered to it as a 310 ecig because of the fitting(or was it 510, i don't remember).

They used cartomizers for the liquid. Housed a heating element and some cotton and "allegedly" would come with 2.5 ml of liquid unless you bought blanks.

Bought a start kit for $50 around 2011 with 2 of the 310 ecigs. It worked for like a month before they both died.

Everything after this was mostly poo poo that people macguyvered to make everything work better.

People didn't like that the carts heated up to a billions degrees because of the lovely rear end china batteries in the 310.
And people didn't like filling up carts but removed all the lovely cotton to put in a few drops of liquid on the heating element, didnt like removing the end of the cart. Drip tips are born.

Please don't go out and buy 100 of these because they are basically worthless.

People wanted more juice in the carts so some guy drilled a hole through one, got a piece of glass tubing and some stoppers. Tanks are born.

Then the Ego came alot it usually had over double the mAh offering 600-1000 mAh. Still these things burn out like crazy and the battery dies pretty fast. They came with their own Ego fitting and a 510 fitting.

They kinda kick started vaping again how it is now in a way. Ego Evod's are pretty popular.

Then a poo poo ton of companies try to cash in on this, Kangertech, etc. There stuff isnt that bad but is all involves buying kangertech atomizers($2.50 per) that wearout in a weekish depending on your habits.

In Kangertech's defense they make some quality cheap parts.

Ego sticks much like the 310 cigalikes work good for like a month then they die. Bought 2 of these for $150 around 2014 because smokers where getting into it in the office. It wasn't that bad though it go me on the path to switching to ecigs to no longer smoke analogs anymore.

Right now ecigs are in a good place. The starter packages are good for people that are interested. To really get something that lasts you need a setup that you can break down, clean, and use cheap reliable safe IMR batteries(not that safe enough for the masses). Ecigs get dirty like everything else, it is not a magical electronic smoking machine that is immune form breaking down from use.

Rebuildable ecigs is another complicated story but they are actually the true money saver when it comes down to it. Nonrebuildable ecigs are basically just taking all the money you spent on cigs and now spending it all on ecigs. And if you want to read a funny story just search for some idiot on reddit having his ecig explode on him.

I wish the ecig thread would be moved out of the "harm reduction" forum because they have a pretty good OP.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 11, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monkey Fracas posted:

Vape store just opened up in my town in the storefront behind the piggly wiggly that's been closed down for like 20 years

it is right next to the used videogame shop

I call that section of town Neckbeard City

there's an empty store there still; could open up a boardgame store

what about a coffee shop.....that has board games u can play?? also u can vape in there

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i just thought of a great video game idea

it's called 'VapeLay'

it's like a fighting game but the goal is to blow vape smoke at the other character

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AEMINAL posted:

Real men use Swedish SNUS

Hell yeah do the snus

:getout:

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

my ish right here, or at least it was back when I was a teen

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I have friends who vape and some sad ones who go to conventions and competitions, I do fire performing and primarily fire breathe as a side job and make good money doing it so I don't get the appeal of "breathing" water vapor. And no, I don't do it at the dinner table. I did get to watch a dude almost getting his rear end kicked for engulfing a girl in fog at a performance not too long ago, it was pretty loving funny.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

bitch i'll just assume you meant to post this instead

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

reallivedinosaur posted:

Vaping must be healthier because it's illegal to sell SNUS to minors because it's a tobacco product, but even little kids are hopping on the vape train because what 5 year old wouldn't want to inhale a cloud of lollipops?

Repackaging nicotine as candy is kind of a dick thing to do and is why flavored cigarettes are illegal around these parts now.

The whole "tobacco products with flavors are a tool to entice children!!" thing has always seemed completely made up to me though, because it makes two assumptions - that children can even get the things in the first place, and that stoner adults aren't actually the ones buying it to make blunts with

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Throwdown posted:

I have friends who vape and some sad ones who go to conventions and competitions, I do fire performing and primarily fire breathe as a side job and make good money doing it so I don't get the appeal of "breathing" water vapor. And no, I don't do it at the dinner table. I did get to watch a dude almost getting his rear end kicked for engulfing a girl in fog at a performance not too long ago, it was pretty loving funny.

Now you have to one-up him by engulfing a girl in fire, lest you lose your status as a True Alpha

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

what about a coffee shop.....that has board games u can play?? also u can vape in there

here they're called "non-alcoholic bars" and the last time I was in one there were a bunch of people in one corner watching anime, a guy at the bar using Ubuntu with the default awful desktop, and the TV over the bar was playing the latest episode of Steven Universe

i saw a flyer recently saying that they're having an "anime cosplay party" too :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
I use an electronic cigarette and have a diverse, broad, and highly resourced social network that thinks I'm an eccentric jewel.

They are dorky as gently caress, though, and really I only do it to save money. We're all gonna die in the evangelical redneck wars anyway, and my grandpa smoked until he broke his hip at 81.

• Locked thread