Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Jet Jaguar posted:

Obama could give so many people aneurysms if he did a recess appointment of Hillary Clinton.
This is the new frontrunner for most amazing idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

corn in the bible posted:

if youre a rep in congress who's up for reelection then you dont wanna compromise cause you'll get smashed in primaries. i could maybe see a confirmation later on after theyre not at risk anymore but at that point why not just wait a few weeks longer and see what happens

By a few weeks do you mean 10 months because Obama is probably going to nominate someone within a week or two if for no other reason but to troll Republicans on the fact that they won't hold a hearing for one of the most important positions in the country for completely incoherent reasons headed into the election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Honestly, what do you think Obama's initial reaction was when he was informed of the news?

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Is there a reason why the original news report has to stress multiple times that a 79 year old died of ”apparent” natural causes, as if being 79 isn't enough to randomly drop dead?

NOT PICTURED
Mar 8, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Honestly, what do you think Obama's initial reaction was when he was informed of the news?

"Michelle, I know I told you I quit, but I'm going to need to sit down and have a cigarette."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mooseontheloose posted:

If Pres. Obama wants to fully cause a Republican meltdown: "I am proud to nominate the first black, female, lesbian, atheist to the Supreme Court."

"Yes, later this week I will simultaneously nominate an african american, a woman, a lesbian, and an atheist to the Court. Suck it, FDR"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Three Olives posted:

By a few weeks do you mean 10 months because Obama is probably going to nominate someone within a week or two if for no other reason but to troll Republicans on the fact that they won't hold a hearing for one of the most important positions in the country for completely incoherent reasons headed into the election.

i mean that there's absolutely no chance of appointing one until after the primaries are through and none of the republicans have anything to worry about on that front. but at that point why do it at all? trump could win!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

fdr learned that you are wrong the hard way

If Hughes and Roberts hadn't come around to the New Deal he'd have absolutely been able to pack the court.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Boogoose posted:

Is there a reason why the original news report has to stress multiple times that a 79 year old died of ”apparent” natural causes, as if being 79 isn't enough to randomly drop dead?

Isn't that how reports usually have cause of death listed until it's confirmed?

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well technically, there is no set number of justices. Nine is just convention because they need an odd number to break ties.

28 USC 1.1

The Supreme Court of the United States shall consist of a Chief Justice of the United States and eight associate justices, any six of whom shall constitute a quorum.

FDR's court packing plan was to use democratic supermajorities in both houses to raise that number to 20+ so the 9 seated justices would be irrelevant.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

i mean that there's absolutely no chance of appointing one until after the primaries are through and none of the republicans have anything to worry about on that front. but at that point why do it at all? trump could win!

Except a whole lot of GOP establishment doesn't want Trump to win.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

NLRB v. Noel Canning, 573 US ____ (2014), at p. 21. posted:

We therefore conclude, in light of historical practice, that a recess of more than 3 days but less than 10 days is presumptively too short to fall within the Clause. We add the word “presumptively” to leave open the possibility that some very unusual circumstance—a national catastrophe, for instance, that renders the Senate unavailable but calls for an urgent response—could demand the exercise of the recess-appointment power during a shorter break. (It should go without saying—except that JUSTICE SCALIA compels us to say it—that political opposition in the Senate would not qualify as an unusual circumstance.)

The Senate is currently in recess for nine days. Antonin Scalia looked into the future, saw that he would die during a nine-day recess, and specifically altered a holding to ensure that Obama could not recess appoint his successor.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I went and took a poo poo and by the time I finished wiping scalia was dead

God bless America

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Boogoose posted:

Well he was under 24/7 security protection because people for real wanted to kill him so it doesn't strike me as weird to point out that a dead man under constant and credible threat of being assassinated was not assassinated.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"My god, I can shift the court and reverse some of the worst poo poo done to our nation if I do this right."

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
lmao http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/269398-senate-judiciary-chair-wait-until-election-is-over-to-fill-scalias

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Can we revisit the Citizens United decision please?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Discendo Vox posted:

That second one, the one that generated the fake quote, really isn't that bad- it's just really easy to misrepresent the decision. That said...

I mean if you wanted to be really generous and assume he was just making a technical :fishmech: point, sure. But based on other statements of his he seemed to think 24 was a documentary, so.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Roger Craig posted:

First thing to be challenged when a Democrat wins the white house and replaces Scalia and RGB.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

spoon0042 posted:

technical :fishmech: point

Technical spergpoints are what the law is based on, so that's hardly a demerit. Dude was horrible, though, particularly as an inspiration to other conservative jurists and law students.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
For real, it would be one thing if he'd said "well the constitution technically allows this and congress might want to do something about that." In reality he cited and defended Jack Bauer. This is a thing that happened.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Luna Was Here posted:

I went and took a poo poo and by the time I finished wiping scalia was dead

God bless America

Get back in there, with any luck we can get Alito while we're at it

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Richard Posner for stopgap justice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Roger Craig posted:

Yes but only because the end result was wealthy Republicans being forced to set dumpsters full of money on fire because they didn't have a way to say no when the right people asked while billionaires bypassed the party apparatus to play with elections like it was the $2 million dollar model train set in their basement.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Chokes McGee posted:

Get back in there, with any luck we can get Alito while we're at it

I am making GBS threads with the force of a thousand supreme court justice chins in my quest to complete this task you have given me

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
if i could have one scalia related wish, it would be that his most enduring legacy would become the time that he used popular tv show man jack bauer to justify torture as a legal practice

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dazzling Addar posted:

if i could have one scalia related wish, it would be that his most enduring legacy would become the time that he used popular tv show man jack bauer to justify torture as a legal practice

mine would be for Thomas to continue his tradition of doing exactly what Scalia does one last time

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

mine would be for Thomas to continue his tradition of doing exactly what Scalia does one last time

Have you even read Thomas's solo opinions in SCOTUS cases? Because that is some truly amazing poo poo. Zombie Scalia WISHES he could manage a perspective that heterodox.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Gonzo McFee posted:

If it's any solace terrible lovely people also usually have terrible lovely families and friends.
Scalia had Dick Cheney as his 'hunting' partner, where hunting involved walking around to birds with clipped wings and shooting attorneys.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

fdr learned that you are wrong the hard way

The number has fluctuated between 5-10 over the course of the US

But yes, it has been at 9 for way too long to reasonably change it

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

CannonFodder posted:

Scalia had Dick Cheney as his 'hunting' partner, where hunting involved walking around to birds with clipped wings and shooting attorneys.

Yes, but the man had some bad points as well

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sydin posted:

"I'm going to try and do my job, whether the Republicans like it or not" is a pretty good stance to take.

I'm more curious if he'll make an emergency appointment before the Senate is back on the 22nd. My gut tells me no - since it's probably better to not let the Republicans play the Executive overreach card as an excuse for doing nothing - but on the other hand we're in full on Trollbama mode, so who knows.

Doing so would be unbelievably hosed up and only make the GOP out to be the victim. People keep mentioning Sri Srinivasan who was appointed 97-0 to their current position in 2013 but I don't see that mattering the slightest even if Obama wants to nominate him. The GOP is going to stonewall hard and even if Roberts comes out with a "the SCOTUS is not a political toy, confirm a replacement you dicks" stance they aren't going to care. Alito and Thomas could join in the demand and it wouldn't matter. It's not like they recuse themselves in protest over the GOP's actions.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Externally:
"I see, that is sad news for his family."

Internally:
:toot::woop::dance::neckbeard::awesome:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Evil Fluffy posted:

Doing so would be unbelievably hosed up and only make the GOP out to be the victim. People keep mentioning Sri Srinivasan who was appointed 97-0 to their current position in 2013 but I don't see that mattering the slightest even if Obama wants to nominate him. The GOP is going to stonewall hard and even if Roberts comes out with a "the SCOTUS is not a political toy, confirm a replacement you dicks" stance they aren't going to care. Alito and Thomas could join in the demand and it wouldn't matter. It's not like they recuse themselves in protest over the GOP's actions.

Externally:
"I see, that is sad news for his family."

Internally:
:toot::woop::dance::neckbeard::awesome:
Forgot these emotions
:mmmsmug: :slick:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wait Scalia was in Deadpool what?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I'm glad that when I die the saddest I'd make anyone is my mom should l pass first

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Can Obama nominate himself?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/steezyasfvck/status/491695464744374272

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Alan Smithee posted:

wait Scalia was in Deadpool what?

I'm running a for real Dead Pool right now. First to go was Phyllis Diller. I have Jimmy Carter on my list, sadly. Hosni Mubarak though, I THOUGHT YOU HAD HEART PROBLEMS

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Lost money on Little Jimmy Dickens :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight. I mean this is the first time something in politics that I've actually wanted to have happen happened. I don't mean like "well, I'd rather things go this way vs. that way." I would rather Obama than McCain or Romney, and I voted for him; but that wasn't something for which I'd been longing for years. I suppose it was inevitable, which may take a little of the sense of vicarious accomplishment out of it; but Scalia's death makes up for all the times I sat watching C-span as some vote went the wrong way and a little bit of my remaining patriotism evaporated. The only experience I can compare to this is the birth of my child.

• Locked thread