Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Vi sjunger en sång som sprids över världen,
till fri republik och förtryckarens stat.
Den ropar ett namn som håller oss samman,
den sjunger om Stalin, vår vän o Kamrat!

Den sjunger om Kampen som leder till Seger,
för klasskamp och uppror den gör sig till tolk.
Den riktar en maning till arbetarklassen
och hälsar förtryckta nationer och folk!

Den fruktar ej död och förbud o kanon.
den intar förtryckarnas förfallna bastion,
och uppmanar alla på jorden som utsugs
kom med som soldat i en Revolution!

Den hånas, bespottas, men kan inte hejdas,
den når alla länder trots borgarnas hat!
Vi bringar ett leve till minnet av Stalin!
Den stålhårde kämpen, vår vän o Kamrat!

Vi sjunger en sång som sprids över världen,
till fri republik och förtryckarens stat.
Vi bringar ett leve till minnet av Stalin!
Den stålhårde kämpen, vår vän o Kamrat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

communism is poo poo

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

rip josef

Velkest posted:

what's gulag in swedish? genuinely curious mind.

köping

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Prav posted:

rip josef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

I work for a swedish company here in Britain (Atlas Copco) And all the top level swedes who have visited seemed pretty cool but not a single one of them commented on the bag of salmiakki I keep on my desk, which I found very bad of them.

Salmiakki to us Swedes is like plants or furniture. We just edit it out of our vision as something that we know is there, but we don't really think about. Because hey, everyone eats it, right?

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008

OhYeah posted:

That is a hugely important factor to anyone who cares about their mental health. Seriously, I feel immediately better when I go outside of the city centre, for example my mother-in-law's apartment which in a part of the city that's really green or our summerhouse. You of all people should understand that. :)

Don't get me wrong, access to nature and green areas is important but those places around Stockholm seem just fine for most people's use. Even if you can walk most trails with crocs or whatever. Maybe a lot of norwegians cherish the fact that they can walk off the bus and wade straight into a bog but that's not what makes one city better than another imo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A man's most crushing loss is always to himself

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

deputamadre posted:

Where? I've lived in Norway for years and I still haven't found decent chicken

where in norway do you live? in oslo you should be able to find good food unless you only go for the cheapest places

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Panniculus Rift posted:

where in norway do you live? in oslo you should be able to find good food unless you only go for the cheapest places

Yeah if you're only spending 250 kroner on a pizza it's bounds to be poo poo

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

ZombieJesus posted:

Yeah if you're only spending 250 kroner on a pizza it's bounds to be poo poo

a cheap pizza is like 100 kroner, so for 250 you should be able to find a decent one. anyway the guy i quoted was talking about fried chicken, and m y point is that if you go somewhere like Lucky Bird at Mathallen you will get some very nice freid chicken but if you go to Lars Ivar's veikro in Vinstra you probably won't

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Yeah that was a joke, I paid 250 kr for a pizza in Norway and almost fell off my chair when I saw the price. Literally no other restaurants nearby had vegetarian options so I was poo poo outta luck.

I could have eaten minke whale if I wanted, but if you're vegetarian in bergen? You're hosed.

Was an OK pizza, but nothing special.

Basically gently caress Norwegian food.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Panniculus Rift posted:

a cheap pizza is like 100 kroner, so for 250 you should be able to find a decent one.

tbf if you're dumb enough to order dolly dimples or peppes you're looking at probably 350-400kr or so for a large pizza if you include a soft drink and delivery

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Dave Concepcion posted:

tbf if you're dumb enough to order dolly dimples or peppes you're looking at probably 350-400kr or so for a large pizza if you include a soft drink and delivery

yeah that's about the worst pizza-related mistake you can do

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

250:- for an acceptable pizza? no wonder everyone's so eager to leave oslo for the wilderness

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Prav posted:

250:- for an acceptable pizza? no wonder everyone's so eager to leave oslo for the wilderness

I don't really care since I only buy pizza when I'm viciously hung over, I usually cook my own food because I'm an adult

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
minke whale isn't really that good tasting

you didn't miss much

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008
I was actually thinking about rotisserie chicken, which is a staple in a lot of countries but I haven't found a good one here yet.

Other than that, yeah that dude's right. Cheaper food is often bland and tasteless, but there's plenty of decent restaurants around. They're expensive for a foreigner though, so if you're on a budget you'll get the impression that the food in Norway is not very good.

And traditional norwegian and swedish food is really good too. I don't get that kind of self-deprecating attitude a lot of scandinavians have towards their own food but I guess it's somehow related to this

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I desperately need to validate my multiculturalism because I'm deathly afraid to be branded as a swede.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
yeah, properly made husmannskost owns

norwegian/swedes who hate it but hyperventilate with joy over a 50kr falafel are the worst

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

deputamadre posted:

I was actually thinking about rotisserie chicken, which is a staple in a lot of countries but I haven't found a good one here yet.

Other than that, yeah that dude's right. Cheaper food is often bland and tasteless, but there's plenty of decent restaurants around. They're expensive for a foreigner though, so if you're on a budget you'll get the impression that the food in Norway is not very good.

And traditional norwegian and swedish food is really good too. I don't get that kind of self-deprecating attitude a lot of scandinavians have towards their own food but I guess it's somehow related to this

You can get all the rotisserie chicken you want at Möllan. And it'll be cheap too.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i should make a fläskpannkaka today

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

I work for a swedish company here in Britain (Atlas Copco) And all the top level swedes who have visited seemed pretty cool but not a single one of them commented on the bag of salmiakki I keep on my desk, which I found very bad of them.

Imagine you go to Stockholm and some guy has, I dunno, a teabag on his desk. Is it really something you're going to notice and be all like 'oh hey you have tea!' or is it just like some ordinary everyday object you're used to so you don't notice ;)

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
I wish I could find a good burrito place in Stockholm.

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008

ZombieJesus posted:

Yeah that was a joke, I paid 250 kr for a pizza in Norway and almost fell off my chair when I saw the price. Literally no other restaurants nearby had vegetarian options so I was poo poo outta luck.

I could have eaten minke whale if I wanted, but if you're vegetarian in bergen? You're hosed.

Was an OK pizza, but nothing special.

Basically gently caress Norwegian food.

I was having dinner with colleagues at a fairly expensive restaurant in Trondheim and a Swedish colleague asked for the vegetarian menu.

Their reply: "We don't have any vegetarian alternatives but we can make the pasta dish without the meat in it".

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
norway seems really lame

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

deputamadre posted:

I was having dinner with colleagues at a fairly expensive restaurant in Trondheim and a Swedish colleague asked for the vegetarian menu.

Their reply: "We don't have any vegetarian alternatives but we can make the pasta dish without the meat in it".

that was awfully nice of them

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

norway seems really lame

the air is fresh and the girls are hot, what more do you need?

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008

Dave Concepcion posted:

the air is fresh and the girls are hot, what more do you need?

lots and lots of money

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I don't think there's a single decent Mexican restaurant in the whole of Sweden

most other things you can get, but not Mexican food, unless you do it yourself

gently caress knows why

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

gently caress knows why

probably because you'd have a hard time finding a mexican, never mind one that wants to open a restaurant

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

though it is a little curious considering that bland tacos are a well-integrated part of household cooking these days

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.

Alcohol and drinking in Sweden posted:

A bottle of Absolut Vodka: Germany 12 Euro, Sweden 239 SEK which is about 27 EUR
A 0,33l can of beer, König Pilsener, costs 9,40 SEK, 1,07 EUR in Sweden. In Germany you can buy one liter of the same brand for the same amount. That’s three times as much as you get in Sweden.
A bottle of Baileys, 0,7 liter, costs about 12 EUR in Germany, in Sweden the same bottle costs almost twice as much – 199 SEK (23 EUR).
Come to Sweden, pay through the nose for alcohol.

Vasa, pride of the Swedish fleet in 1627 posted:

Vasa (or Wasa)[1] is a Swedish warship built between 1626 and 1628. The ship foundered and sank after sailing about 1,300 m (1,400 yd) into her maiden voyage on 10 August 1628.
We build only the finest ships!

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Maimgara posted:

nah, that's cheap. norwegians cross the border all the time to get their hands on that sweet, cheap swedish booze

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I don't think there's a single decent Mexican restaurant in the whole of Sweden

most other things you can get, but not Mexican food, unless you do it yourself

gently caress knows why

For 'Sweden' you can mostly read 'Europe'. As mentioned, there aren't many Mexicans here! (possible exception Spain? I dunno, I've never tried to find Mexican there)

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
try la neta it's good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maimgara posted:

We build only the finest ships!

I like the fun fact how the Vasa had racist caricatures of poles for the carved ship artwork.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

feedmegin posted:

For 'Sweden' you can mostly read 'Europe'. As mentioned, there aren't many Mexicans here! (possible exception Spain? I dunno, I've never tried to find Mexican there)

We had an alleged actual Mexican show up and open a restaurant here in town (Sweden), but for some reason he opted to skip making actual mexican food and decided to make some weird Mexican/husmanskost hybrid dishes, with meatball burritos and gently caress knows what. It was about as horrible as it sounded, and the place didn't last long. It's now Indian lunch restaurant #6 instead.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Zzulu posted:

Swedsh girls are very open minded when it comes to their sexuality. They are very liberated and strong, independent women who know how to work dick. If you want to, you can come visit one of my many luxury villas and I will arrange a meeting with you and some of my beautiful Swedish friends, some of whom who are girls. There is a 100% chance that they will gently caress you

but you will have to gently caress the guys too

there needs to be equilibrium or the system fails

im down

sweden kinda sounds like Utah to me

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 16, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
yeah i mean they're cute and all but do you ever wonder what happened to you guys?

you were goddamn vikings man and now you're apparently a nation of pussies with expensive alcohol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

FishionMailed posted:

yeah i mean they're cute and all but do you ever wonder what happened to you guys?
The Battle of Stamford Bridge, hth.

• Locked thread