Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rand alPaul posted:

I think we found the worst 2016 Projection:

BP's PECOTA projections are calling for a 91-win Tampa Bay season, among other...interesting outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Inspector_666 posted:

BP's PECOTA projections are calling for a 91-win Tampa Bay season, among other...interesting outcomes.

God drat. I don't think KC is gonna repeat or anything, but 76 - 86 seems a bit extreme. Jesus.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

God drat. I don't think KC is gonna repeat or anything, but 76 - 86 seems a bit extreme. Jesus.

I think this will be a theme for the next two years.

Then in 2018 they'll all project the Royals to have 97 wins and they'll win 55.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Between losing Zobrist and Cueto for Kennedy I can see them losing maybe 4-5 wins, but 20+ is ridiculous.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lmao at any projection that even remotely suggests that we could win the division by early September

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Poque posted:

lmao at any projection that even remotely suggests that we could win the division by early September

I dunno, I've been a Cub fan for going on 30 years now, I've seen some good...some bad, some really bad, and some worse. Didn't even bug me when the Cubs went all Cubs during the NLCS, I had seen it before and I was resigned to fate after game 1.

That said, with all the hype and years of buildup- and now the numbers to go along with it....

I'm going to be so let down this year.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If projections counted for anything the Mariners would have actually made the playoffs sometime in the last decade

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I hope the cubs do as well as these zany projections say. While the Brewers are rebuilding I'm pretty much a cubs fan by default because someone has to beat the cardinals and it's sure not gonna be the Pirates.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

Between losing Zobrist and Cueto for Kennedy I can see them losing maybe 4-5 wins, but 20+ is ridiculous.

I can see it really not liking Dyson and Infante starting every day and wouldn't be surprised if it is not high on their 3B platoon and starting pitching staff since that group has been pretty volatile in their career/are old/are returning from injuries.

Also, there's this

BP posted:

Our staff didn’t want it. It’s not just that when we polled our writers for their own Royals predictions—before PECOTA had been run—not one of them went as low as 76. It’s not even that not one of them went lower than 80, or that only one of 27 responses was lower than 85, or that the plurality response was 90, or that the average was 88.

It’s this: When I asked a follow-up question a few days later—"If I told you PECOTA projects them to win 76 games this year, does your answer change?"—the response was overwhelmingly "nah." In fact… counting them out… 73 percent of staff said it didn’t change their answer at all.

As one put it: "No, because the projections just seem to not like the Royals." This seems awfully close to a crisis of confidence.

Also, as Nate Silver pointed out, baseball projection systems are getting worse at predicting things. It could be the influx of young talent or the focus of many teams on platooning a lot. Who knows.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hasn't PECOTA been generally regarded as poo poo for years now?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean, dude was never an all-star, but it's not like he beat his wife. What's your problem with him?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I think JD Martinez is probably going to end up with more than 0.6 wins this year.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Everblight posted:

I mean, dude was never an all-star, but it's not like he beat his wife. What's your problem with him?

Ever since he made partner he's been phoning it in. Gritt's the real heart and soul of the firm.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IcePhoenix posted:

Ever since Silver left BP, pretty much.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

It was sligthly better than ZiPS in 2015 according to this article:
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2016/1/14/10733872/steamer-zips-pecota-marcel-projections-review

The fact that Marcel finished 2nd is not a good sign for the other projection systems since Tango only does enough to keep the system marginally accurate compared to other projection engines and doesn't spend a lot of time with it.

Tom Tango posted:

Actually, it is the most basic forecasting system you can have, that uses as little intelligence as possible. So, that's the allusion to the monkey. It uses 3 years of MLB data, with the most recent data weighted heavier. It regresses towards the mean. And it has an age factor.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Ice To Meet You posted:

I think JD Martinez is probably going to end up with more than 0.6 wins this year.

On the other hand, it's probably right that James McCann will be one of, if not the, worst players in MLB. Which will be great given how dumbly popular he is in the Detroit media for being tough and a leader!!-!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If projections counted for anything the Mariners would have actually made the playoffs sometime in the last decade

:smith:

I need to look at historical projections. Usually I feel projections have the Mariners 2nd or 3rd and it's national beat writers that put the Mariners as a dark horse candidate to win the west and are always wrong.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Why is UZR lame? I remember agreeing with the reasoning, but can't remember why.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Fleetwood posted:

Why is UZR lame? I remember agreeing with the reasoning, but can't remember why.

It doesn't account for shifts, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

It doesn't account for shifts, right?
It is supposed to account for the shift but only if the person recording the play recorded that the shift was on AND affected the outcome of the play.

Fangraphs posted:

Also, the data includes whether a shift (a generic one, in the opinion of the “stringer” – the person recording the data) was on, and whether the shift likely affected the play at all. If it did – again, according to the “stringer”- then the play is ignored.

The biggest issue is it doesn't account for positioning. If your fielding coach plays you in a certain position for a specific reason (like Cameron Maybin having to make up for playing between Nick Swisher and Nick Markakis at the end of last season), you might not get to balls UZR considers catchable for other players. Maybin may not have been able to catch balls he normally would if the Braves weren't playing it safe in different situations because of Swisher and Markakis' limited ranges (just a hypothetical). Better to give up a single that Maybin can cut-off than give up doubles because the left or right field gap isn't getting properly covered by the corner outfielders.

Also, balls of the wall are up to the "stringer" as to whether or not they were "catchable". I don't like this because some players will play a ball off the wall differently depending on the situation. It may be better to let the ball hit the wall and try to minimize the damage if you're up several runs rather than risk mistiming the play and giving the batter or a base runner an extra base if you don't get it.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 16, 2016

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
That must have been it, thanks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It seems like all defensive stats are still way too subjective at this point. Maybe with the new statcast data we'll see them get better in the nearish future. Defensive stats are probably inherently always going to be iffy/require a couple years of baseline data collection though.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Rand alPaul posted:

I think we found the worst 2016 Projection:

loving lol if anyone thinks the white sox will hit 90 wins and KC will finish 2nd

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

It seems like all defensive stats are still way too subjective at this point. Maybe with the new statcast data we'll see them get better in the nearish future. Defensive stats are probably inherently always going to be iffy/require a couple years of baseline data collection though.

I hope someone who has worked with the data more will chime in but my understanding is that the stringer might be watching the game via tv or streaming, letting them cover several games per day, which means that the type of hit (line drive vs. fly ball) and where/how they record the play can be affected by the camera angles they have access to.

My feeling is that, like many advanced stats other than wOBA or wRC+, UZR is a pretty good guide but you still need to check what the perception of a player is. If you only read UZR, you might thing Trout isn't that amazing good at fielding and you might think that Hechavarria suddenly learned how to play his position. But overall, I don't think you can argue with it on the aggregate.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 16, 2016

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

The collection of data points is done subjectively and the process of manipulating the data is not transparent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Inspector_666 posted:

Basically this

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

PECOTA is tearing Baseball internet apart. Comes as no surprise as its codename was SKYNET.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
BP must be projecting some massive power numbers for the Cubs if they're going to lead the NL in runs scored by 30+ and give them the #2 SLG by .01 while having the #12 batting average in the NL.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Fleetwood posted:

It ignores body type and makeup

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
UZR also requires 3 years worth of data to be normalized, so you can have a guy who can go -10, -15, then suddenly a +25 UZR season and by golly he's an elite defender!

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Dubious posted:

loving lol if anyone thinks the white sox will hit 90 wins and KC will finish 2nd

Like PmP said, if the White Sox sign/trade for an outfielder 90 wins isn't out of the question. They've got at least a top 10 MLB rotation, and going from below replacement level to a positive at 2B, 3B, and OF should make a huge difference.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 16, 2016

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Last year, no one was expecting the Cubs to do well, so they were playing free and loose and benefited from it. This year, EVERYONE is expecting them to win the division. The stage is set for them to collapse under the weight of the city's massive expectations. :negative:

I really don't want to be so pessimistic about their chances, but this franchise hasn't exactly given me a reason not to be.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I really don't want to be so pessimistic about their chances, but this franchise hasn't exactly given me a reason not to be.

Would this man let you down?

That bird there? Worth 16 wins!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
who was expecting the Cubs to be bad last year besides Cubs fans?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Groucho Marxist posted:

Anybody who claims that they expected to get last season's results any earlier than this season is a liar

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
There is a wide gulf between bad and 97 wins

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I thought the Cubs were still a year away from doing anything. Russell wasn't supposed to come up, Schwarber wasn't supposed to be up, the bullpen dudes pitched great down the stretch, and Arrieta turned into Death Incarnate. Everyone here is championship or bust this year and that's not how baseball works and when they struggle te pressure will strangle this team like a python.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Groucho Marxist posted:

I think the general consensus was that they'd be better than 2014 but were still a year away from contending. Then every single thing that could go right for them did and what everyone thought would be a .500 team wound up with the 3rd best record in the NL.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Someone post that image of the wins Lester and Maddon provide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs will be super fun and good this year, but they will never win a world series.

• Locked thread