Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

NowonSA posted:

:same: I actually thought there was far less nudity than I had expected. Then again I was watching on somewhat small screen and not going out of my way to try to oggle flesh. Not that there's anything wrong with a good oggling.

Maybe that's it, I saw it in IMAX which makes it a lot easier to catch the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

This time last week we were cheers-ing each other when tracking said it could push 65m for President's Day weekend.

edit: I hope this doesn't start to sound insufferable or braggy and I acknowledge Ryan Reynolds is 100% the #1 guy to receive accolades on the success of this film but I thought this was cool. Gettin drunk on the Fox lot tonight...

I wanna get drunk for Deadpool's success now. I feel vindicated that the only comic book character I ever liked from comic books has a movie... and it's dope as hell.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The funny thing is that Spawn is gonna try to duplicate Deadpool and I bet you anything they fail utterly because anything Spawn-related is doomed to suck eternally.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remember that Spawn Fan Film where Spawn went shopping and it had cool special effects.

That guy's gonna make the new movie I bet. Watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Thanos also really doesn't like him because he is jealous of Deadpool's relationship with Death, but there is no way in hell that is happening.

A Deadpool movie would be the perfect place to debut Squirrel Girl, the only hero that can defeat Thanos singlehandedly.

kiimo posted:

The funny thing is that Spawn is gonna try to duplicate Deadpool and I bet you anything they fail utterly because anything Spawn-related is doomed to suck eternally.

Spawn doesn't belong anywhere outside the bad old grimdark days of the '90s. My bet is they're going to double down on the hyperviolent parts, but then also try to take themselves seriously which is going to wind up being laughably forgettable garbage, just like the first Spawn movie.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 16, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

spawn could be good if todd mcfarlane could be kept far away from it

so basically it can't be good

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

raditts posted:

A Deadpool movie would be the perfect place to debut Squirrel Girl, the only hero that can defeat Thanos singlehandedly.

That would be extra-funny, since the universe that Thanos is in is separate from the Fox movie one. They'd be totally screwed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MrBling posted:

I think we all know who can play Cable.

Big Sexy himself.

As the other guy who is known for playing Deathstroke, I think Manu Bennett could pull it off too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Megaspel posted:

Also it was a 15 in England, did poo poo get cut out over here?

I actually liked that bit, because it shows he was willing to try, and that's all that matters.

We're just less ridiculous with ratings than America is. And yeah that's a good reading of the scene.

I gotta say, especially considering it's doing so insanely well, I really am so so glad that they got this one right and that it didn't just use the "omg soooooo random" version of the character and actually does the best version of him justice. If it had done this well and been awful it would have been insufferable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would watch a Spawn movie if it was made by the same team that made the old animated series.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

I would watch a Spawn movie if it was made by the same team that made the old animated series.

Does that animated series hold up? I liked it a lot when I was 17, but then again I was 17.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it'll probably bore you to tears, but it's not so much "bad" as just really boring and average

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

I honestly think the 97 movie is a pretty fun little B-action movie, in the same vein as Mortal Kombat but not as good.

Also, the animated series owns hard.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

spawn could be good if todd mcfarlane could be kept far away from it

so basically it can't be good

Todd McFarlane Says Spawn Reboot Script Has Been Completed

edit: UGH.

Todd McFarlane posted:

I’d put it more into the horror/suspense/supernatural genre. If you take the movie The Departed meets Paranormal Activity, something like that

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 16, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

raditts posted:

Does that animated series hold up? I liked it a lot when I was 17, but then again I was 17.

It's ok. I watched the first season a while back, and while there are times it's trying way too hard to be ADULT THIS IS FOR ADULTS, it mostly holds up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spawn's gonna be a film set in the bedroom of a Boston mob boss while he sleeps and hears's spooky spounds?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Megaspel posted:

Just got back from Cinema. Really good film, definitely better than Prometheus, Gravity and all the Hobbit movies, even the animated Hobbit movies.

Also it was a 15 in England, did poo poo get cut out over here?

I actually liked that bit, because it shows he was willing to try, and that's all that matters.

It was ma15+ in Australia too, but there was still stripper vag all over the IMAX screen, so I don't think we missed out. America has a dumb ratings system where it jumps from pg13+ straight to r17+, which is why movies are either childlike or adult with no room for subtlety in between.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Goffer posted:

It was ma15+ in Australia too, but there was still stripper vag all over the IMAX screen, so I don't think we missed out. America has a dumb ratings system where it jumps from pg13+ straight to r17+, which is why movies are either childlike or adult with no room for subtlety in between.

Also remember that our regular broadcast TV can have the most horrifying violence in history with lovingly detailed shots of mutilation and gore while a cop talks about how the serial killer filled the dead woman's lungs with cum and poo poo and spiders, but we will hold a senate hearing if a nipple is on TV for 1/18th of a second.

Nothing in this country makes sense.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My bar's jukebox has Angel of the Morning, X Gon Give It To Ya, Careless Whisper, and Shoop in their banks.

:getin: and/or :iamgoingtowastesomuchmoney:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CelticPredator posted:

Spawn's gonna be a film set in the bedroom of a Boston mob boss while he sleeps and hears's spooky spounds?

But which evil spirit/spooky ghost is the undercover cop?!?!?!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

That description sounds like Todd McFarlane just wants to make Ghostface's "Twelve Reasons to Die" album into a movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Spawn (everything but the movie) was awesome in 1995 because I was a pissy teenager who thought violence and dumb goth poo poo was awesome.

Almost everyone in that demographic is now 32-45 years old and realizes how lame the leather and sunglasses 90's hot topic fad was.

Spawn is just a time capsule of its era as Dirty Harry or Deathwish. Just like you couldn't make a movie in 2016 where an angry cop ruthlessly murders black people for sport, you can't possibly make a movie where a grimdark hell assassin fights the military and satan and a spooky clown.

Todd MacFarlane belongs in the same lovely time capsule as Marilyn Manson, Blade, leather trenchcoats, rap rock, and OJ Simpson jokes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Excuse me but Blade is still totally loving awesome. If you don't like Blade, well... some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill. :colbert:

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Spawn (everything but the movie) was awesome in 1995 because I was a pissy teenager who thought violence and dumb goth poo poo was awesome.

Almost everyone in that demographic is now 32-45 years old and realizes how lame the leather and sunglasses 90's hot topic fad was.

Spawn is just a time capsule of its era as Dirty Harry or Deathwish. Just like you couldn't make a movie in 2016 where an angry cop ruthlessly murders black people for sport, you can't possibly make a movie where a grimdark hell assassin fights the military and satan and a spooky clown.

Todd MacFarlane belongs in the same lovely time capsule as Marilyn Manson, Blade, leather trenchcoats, rap rock, and OJ Simpson jokes.

I think a Spawn movie could work, but it'd also have to be a unicorn project like Deadpool, where a bunch of big time fans decide to make the movie that the character deserved. Liefield and Nicieza may have "created" Deadpool, but if they tried to create this movie, it would have been utter garbage

Ninja edit: "created" is a pretty strong word here

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rumors for casting are going to start with Idris Elba. Then after a while you'll hear Will Smith is interested but then he'll deny it. Then somebody will drop the name Morris Chestnut but it won't track because nobody knows who that is. Then Terrance Howard will turn it down even though nobody said his name. In the end Isiah Washington will do it and Chiwetel Ejiofor will be sitting at home going man. Nobody even asked.

Everyone loses.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Deadpool VS. Spawn: A Very Effective Proactiv Commercial.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

Didn't Marvel recently retcon Squirrel Girl to not be a mutant, specifically to keep her away from Fox?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Goffer posted:

Our ratings system is actually better than the alternative because it's an entirely voluntary industry tool with no actual legal power that is becoming increasingly irrelevant in a world of streaming media.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd watch a Squirrel Girl vs Deadpool movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I mean, there's no reason why it can't work, it just has to be done well. poo poo, Neveldine and Taylor managed to make a fantastic Ghost Rider movie a few years ago and Ghost Rider is only a hair removed from Spawn.

The premise to Spawn is actually really, really good; it's just that Todd MacFarlane isn't a good enough writer to get the proper mileage out of it. There's legit pathos pretty much loving baked into the concept, what with him being a family man whose family has completely moved on without him (and is actively endangered by him following them), and yet MacFarlane does nothing with this beyond a couple panels of him whining here and there (and he even directly shat on it for the sake of shock value at least once). He can't do serious very well and he refuses to go all-in on camp, so it just comes out lovely.

kiimo posted:

Rumors for casting are going to start with Idris Elba. Then after a while you'll hear Will Smith is interested but then he'll deny it. Then somebody will drop the name Morris Chestnut but it won't track because nobody knows who that is. Then Terrance Howard will turn it down even though nobody said his name. In the end Isiah Washington will do it and Chiwetel Ejiofor will be sitting at home going man. Nobody even asked.

Everyone loses.

Why not just hire Jai White back? He was the best part of the first one and he wants to do it, if I remember correctly.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steve Yun posted:

Didn't Marvel recently retcon Squirrel Girl to not be a mutant, specifically to keep her away from Fox?

Yeah but now that Fox made a good movie I don't like that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean, there's no reason why it can't work, it just has to be done well. poo poo, Neveldine and Taylor managed to make a fantastic Ghost Rider movie a few years ago and Ghost Rider is only a hair removed from Spawn.

The premise to Spawn is actually really, really good; it's just that Todd MacFarlane isn't a good enough writer to get the proper mileage out of it. There's legit pathos pretty much loving baked into the concept, what with him being a family man whose family has completely moved on without him (and is actively endangered by him following them), and yet MacFarlane does nothing with this beyond a couple panels of him whining here and there (and he even directly shat on it for the sake of shock value at least once). He can't do serious very well and he refuses to go all-in on camp, so it just comes out lovely.

Okay, so it could be done well. But we're talking about

1. Not letting MacFarlane anywhere near it

2. Completely revamping the character so it's not a cheesy relic of the mopey sadkid leather trenchcoat 90's

3. Abandoning most of the inherently lame story (so 90's)

4. Finding some way to make a sadsack anti-hero palatable to modern audiences

5. Make the film not stick out like a sore thumb now that the massive Man vs. Hell megatrend of the 90's is incredibly dead (this was like 1 in 10 movies back then)

6. Do a small story on a low budget with a character that's no longer really Spawn, or find someone in Hollywood insane enough to bankroll a big budget movie based on a dead relic of a character.

I'm not doubting the possibility of a miracle (look at the thread I'm posting in), but we're talking a miracle the size of finding a survivor in the wreckage of the Titanic, here.

Xenomrph posted:

Excuse me but Blade is still totally loving awesome. If you don't like Blade, well... some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill. :colbert:

Blade is totally loving awesome. Because I'm 35 and was in its target demographic.

An attempt to make that movie today would be jaw-droppingly corny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Rider 2 is the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. It's soooo loving bland and lifeless outside of like, 4 or 5 moments. Everything else in between is horrible. I expected more from them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Wait, which Ghost Rider movie was the "fantastic" one? Was there one other than the two with Nicholas Cage? Because the only good thing out of either of those was Sam Elliott, and even his character bailed on the movie before it was over.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So I just read about the deathstroke -> deadpool thing

so where does deadshot come into all this?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The best part of Ghost Rider 2 wasn't even the final product.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Thousands of curse words.
Tons of titties.
Lingering shots of dicks.
Depictions of pegging, anal sex, etc.
Gore. Lots of gore.
Graphic torture.
Abuse of the elderly.
Kidnapping and murder for fun.
More titties.
Full frontal vagina.
More torture.

*cums*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

McSpanky posted:

The best part of Ghost Rider 2 wasn't even the final product.

season of the witch 2 lookin real good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

Wait, which Ghost Rider movie was the "fantastic" one? Was there one other than the two with Nicholas Cage? Because the only good thing out of either of those was Sam Elliott, and even his character bailed on the movie before it was over.

The first one with Nic Cage sucked, but the second one with Nic Cage was directed by the Crank guys and owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kiimo posted:

See, this is the one bad thing about Deadpool succeeding: Other people are going to try to copy it without really understanding what made it good and probably end up with a lovely product. I know that's true of every movie that manages to make a buttload of money, but Deadpool knockoffs have the potential to be particularly obnoxious because that kind of hyper violent crude humor is really easy to gently caress up if you don't know what you're doing (case in point: like 90% of The Deadpool video game)

CelticPredator posted:

Ghost Rider 2 is the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. It's soooo loving bland and lifeless outside of like, 4 or 5 moments. Everything else in between is horrible. I expected more from them.

Which is amazing to me. You would think a movie about a man with a flaming skull riding a motorcycle would at the very least be entertainingly bad, but it's just plain dull. Both of those movies make me feel bad for Nicolas Cage, because I know he loves superhero comics and he was really excited to get to play one on film and the final product was just so lovely.

• Locked thread