Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I started a hard/classic Awakening run last week to see if it's something I'd be OK with in Fates (my first play through was hard/casual I think) and nope, I can't help but savescum ever since I let Kellam die, so casual it is. If I can regret letting a ghost of a person die and miss him after he's gone, I don't think classic mode is for me. Now someone is going to tell me how to play video games v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

enojy posted:

I started a hard/classic Awakening run last week to see if it's something I'd be OK with in Fates (my first play through was hard/casual I think) and nope, I can't help but savescum ever since I let Kellam die, so casual it is. If I can regret letting a ghost of a person die and miss him after he's gone, I don't think classic mode is for me. Now someone is going to tell me how to play video games v:shobon:v

Here is my comprehensive guide on how to play video games:

Have fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

enojy posted:

For what it's worth, the "standard" way to play classic is to restart the chapter when someone dies. Savescumming is the assumed path. The point of playing on classic is to make suicide missions not possible.

That said, do whatever you want when you are playing video games for fun

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
People reset all the time when playing classic. It's not really about permadeath and marching onward despite your casualties (although it CAN be if you want), it's having the threat of death actually matter. You can't do suicide missions or overextend just to grab a chest before an enemy thief like you can in casual, every move has to be carefully thought out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even the devs say resetting when someone dies is how they meant for the permadeath to work. it just gave you the option to continue on instead of just spitting a game over at you.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Another valid way to play is to just play casual, reset when somebody dies unless they're killed by a bullshit crit or something.

You are of course still a coward if you do this.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
casual mode is a much better addition than battle saves imo, those just felt like cheating

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Looper posted:

casual mode is a much better addition than battle saves imo, those just felt like cheating

Oh yeah, speaking for myself I'm perfectly fine with not using casual mode and continuing to play as usual, but it was really hard for me to not use Battle Saves to scum things up (read: I abused the gently caress out of them to get good levels). It's just way too easy and optimal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei Hyde posted:

Another valid way to play is to just play casual, reset when somebody dies unless they're killed by a bullshit crit or something.

You are of course still a coward if you do this.

I'm fine being a coward. I prefer this way to play if only because it reduces sheer anger at bad RNG, thus makes it less likely for me to just quit.

Also I'm kind of bad at games.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Oh yeah, Fates has PvP modes, doesn't it? How did that pan out? Will there be cool goon tournies where we mash our waifus and husbandos together??

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Remember that Fates lets you downgrade (but not upgrade) your difficulty, so if you're in doubt shoot high. If you're not having fun on Hard/Classic, you can downgrade to Hard/Casual or Normal/Classic at any time, at least from what I've heard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Oh yeah, Fates has PvP modes, doesn't it? How did that pan out? Will there be cool goon tournies where we mash our waifus and husbandos together??
do you like seeing who can mash together all the broken skills and then clone themselves a dozen times so that they just have 20 dudes ramming into your face

because oh boy

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Haha I like this guy, all of his change justifications are "That's not a loving name". Patch gonna be good.

E:VVV Oh, I wasn't bashing them, I agree with them too. :)

Guy who types massive effortpost without any capitals is doin the translation patch huh.

Endorph posted:

clone themselves a dozen times so that they just have 20 dudes ramming into your face

Boy, FE has gotten REALLY hardcore.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Endorph posted:

do you like seeing who can mash together all the broken skills and then clone themselves a dozen times so that they just have 20 dudes ramming into your face

because oh boy

Playing with random folks would almost certainly be like this, but it seems like you could just set some ground rules on what's allowed if folks wanted to do some sort of tournament or league amongst goons here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Playing with random folks would almost certainly be like this, but it seems like you could just set some ground rules on what's allowed if folks wanted to do some sort of tournament or league amongst goons here.
idk, what ground rules would you set? 'no skills outside your base class?' that's kinda dull. it'd just be maxed stat units ramming into each other. 'no copycat?' okay, so ten dudes spamming breaking sky.

fire emblem multiplayer just isn't a conceit that can work when it's tied to your main story progression.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FE6: So it only in chapter 17 that I realized you could win money from the Arenas or whatever they're called.

I've made this game harder for myself than it needed to be lol.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 17, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

idk, what ground rules would you set? 'no skills outside your base class?' that's kinda dull. it'd just be maxed stat units ramming into each other. 'no copycat?' okay, so ten dudes spamming breaking sky.

fire emblem multiplayer just isn't a conceit that can work when it's tied to your main story progression.

There seem to be some mechanics you can use to make it more interesting. The layout of the arena is the defending player's castle, and the buildings they make have significant terrain effects and interactive features. Getting the biggest possible numbers will require increasing the stat cap, which means building character statues instead of features that might be more tactically useful like buildings that heal nearby characters or turrets. There's not obviously a correct strategy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

my fe7 link arena team could beat up your fe7 link arena team

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Final Destination, Waifus Only

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Super No Vacancy posted:

Final Destination, Waifus Only

All Corrin, No Skills, Final Destination.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
the big problem is that if you say no grinding 20/20 only some people are going to just be luckier

but if you say grind away it's boring as poo poo because you just have a bunch of green numbered murderbots

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

CeallaSo posted:

All Corrin, No Skills, Final Destination.

corrin and their husband / wife in a black void, bronze weapons only

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seagull posted:

corrin and their husband / wife in a black void, bronze weapons only
the winner is whoever married yukimura

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Endorph posted:

i'd argue that's the ultimate loser

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

colonel?!?!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Seagull posted:

colonel?!?!

who am i marrying

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Gamerofthegame posted:

who am i marrying

its you you're the ultimate loser

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You could go XCOM style and have fixed units with various point values assigned to them, but mechanically a single really strong unit is infinitely better than a bunch of mediocre units so that probably wouldn't work too well either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

who am i marrying

Endorph posted:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
do we know what they named gaius yet and why didn't they choose usagi

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Seagull posted:

iirc it's Asugi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seagull posted:

asugi, because theyre bad

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
i'm not mad, just disappointed

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Endorph posted:

asugi, because theyre bad

Seagull posted:

i'm not mad, just disappointed

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
after witnessing sf5's very disappointing release, i wish fire emblem fates all the best

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

General Morden posted:

after witnessing sf5's very disappointing release, i wish fire emblem fates all the best

What did they gently caress up with SF5?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Its basically just vs mode, the online store isnt even up. They had to release it as is because the pro tour was coming up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I remember my ironman Awakening run. Losing people was goddamn sickening. Severa comes back in time to find that both her parents are dead/maimed. I lost Gaius because he killed himself on me and lost Lissa because I forgot that you can move the lower pieces on the Validar map on the first turn.

Nothing better than winning in the end though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Have I missed any news about Fates' PAL release or is it still in a nebulous state of confirmation for no apparent reason?

Actually, why did Awakening come out two months late for PAL too? It's a first party Nintendo game and everything. I guess it's for the same reason that the recent Mario & Luigis came out over here first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nintendo actually does different translations for PAL and NA, for some insane reason.