Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Shmoses posted:

gently caress apparently Geelong are changing their stadium name to GMHBA Stadium at the end of next year :itwaspoo:

Kardinia Park, you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Goomba stadium?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Guys, Heat is starting in 15 minutes. I suggest you switch over and watch the end of an Attenborough doco first too

I made the mistake of switching on to I'm A Celebrity for a few mins, Julia Morris had me switching back to the footy at lightning speed.

Also, not going to be able to not call it Goomba Stadium now.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
If Geelong changed their logo to this I would legit follow them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Unblock-us has served me very well to access 'Merican, British, and Canadian streams from Japan for a few years so if you have the need go for it. I'd imagine getting the Watch AFL pass would be the harder part.

Gonna throw the NAB game on later. Excited for the footy to be back!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I can't really get excited about the practice matches, but then I don't need the hope.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

TG-Chrono posted:

If Geelong changed their logo to this I would legit follow them.

So just if they put Wylie Buzza front and center?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

thepokey posted:

I made the mistake of switching on to I'm A Celebrity for a few mins, Julia Morris had me switching back to the footy at lightning speed.

Should've switched on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend instead, it is a pretty fun show IMO.

Sounds like the first game of the preseason was pretty bad, not that sad it's not on FTA, now.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Sounds like the first game of the preseason was pretty bad, not that sad it's not on FTA, now.

Isn't the entire pre-season generally pretty bad?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
What VFL Park has been reduced too:

Hey, with skyrail being touted perhaps they can finally build the Rowville line using the same method, which was supposed to be built just after the ground opened.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Rowville (or any other new line for that matter) can't happen until Metro is finished. Also Skyrail is a dumb name for something that is just an elevated railway.

Edit: A feasibility study was conducted in 2014 if you want to read. It details what the best option was then for the proposed line.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/projects/rail-projects/rail-feasibility-studies/#rowville

spamman fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 18, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I know, on both counts. Which is why I'm glad the Metro tunnels are being built, it means new lines are possible all over the network, not that they'll ever be funded...

Waverly was built there because the (now) Monash Freeway was to be built right next to it, opening two years after VFL Park opened. Then, because it was built in the demographic centre of Melbourne (before the western suburbs were built) it was supposed to be easy for people to get to, with the Rowville line to be built to help people from the northern suburbs get out to the ground.

Lack of public transport to the ground helped contribute to it's downfall, but once the VFL took their ball home from the MCG they had a much stronger bargaining chip for MCG usage.

Then we got docklands as a replacement :v From the best ground surface in Aus to the worst.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I lived near Waverley and Moorabbin as a kid. Loved Waverley park. Great ground. Docklands is a shithole.

The new lines will get funded, they're part of the 30 year network development plan that was last released in 2012 and should be updated next year.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/about-ptv/ptv-data-and-reports/network-development-plan-metropolitan-rail/

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Waverley talk: I was at the last game at Waverley. Beautiful sunny day to watch Tony Locket's last game for Sydney, and the Hawks won too just to make it even more awesome. I was also one of the dickheads that ran on to the ground after the game and threw bits of dirt at each other.

It took me a train, and then 2 different buses to get there, (I lived in Frankston at the time), and it could get miserable when it was cold, wet or windy, but I did indeed love that ground.

My mum is nominally a Melbourne fan, so when I, (as a dutiful son), would take her out to the football to watch Hawthorn v Melbourne, I have memories of seeing Jeff Farmer obliterate us, whilst I sat next to my cheering mum trying not to swear. YAY for family bonding.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

My mum is nominally a Melbourne fan, so when I, (as a dutiful son), would take her out to the football to watch Hawthorn v Melbourne, I have memories of seeing Jeff Farmer obliterate us, whilst I sat next to my cheering mum trying not to swear. YAY for family bonding.

I went to watch Essendon play ?West Coast? at Manuka in a ?Preseason game?.
There is no amount of family bonding that is worth going to Manuka in February.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Remembering Waverley as anything other than an impossible to get to shithole is pure revisionism

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Shmoses posted:

Remembering Waverley as anything other than an impossible to get to shithole is pure revisionism

I lived within 15 mins of it, so wasn't bad for travel times

But getting out of the place back when Wellington Road was still single lane both ways between Waverley Park and Stud Road was fuuuuuucked

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
My Dad was a Fitzroy supporter and my Uncle a Saints fan so I used to go to Waverley a lot for the blockbuster Lions v Saints matches. My most vivid memories are sitting in the car forever trying to get out of the carpark at the end of the game. Never saw Essendon play there as I didn't go to a Bombers game before 2000 (I think that gave me unrealistic expectations of how easy going to the footy to support a team would be). But mostly my Waverley memories were just cold, wet and horrible.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Random player sighting: Saw two young Carlton players on the long-term carpark transfer bus this morning, Sam Kerridge and Daniel Gorringe, they were battling to get their car out of the turnstiles on the way out. I only knew who they were by being fully kit out in Carlton gear with their numbers on everything.

Thats my story.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Random player sighting for me: Boomer Harvey and Dyson Heppell at the NBL last night.

Heppell is bigger in person than he looks on tv, especially around the shoulders / upper arms

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

lotharr posted:

Random player sighting for me: Boomer Harvey and Dyson Heppell at the NBL last night.

Heppell is bigger in person than he looks on tv, especially around the shoulders / upper arms

Only one of those is an AFL player.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Memento posted:

Only one of those is an AFL player.

:drat:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I saw Matt Spanger having a coffee near my work last week. I looked at him, he looked at me and gave me this look that said "Don't recognise me please, please no photos, please"

I also saw Richmond rookie Mabior Chol on my train the other week. He got off at my stop and jumped in the sketchiest looking beat up Camry you've ever seen. He is very tall and very very very thin.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I served kerr a beer in the morning at a kids show before he went (slightly more) meth crazy and tried to burn down a house

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
ama

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Did you give him the meths?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I went through a stage where I kept running into Kent Kingsley in checkout lines.

pkid posted:

I saw Matt Spanger having a coffee near my work last week. I looked at him, he looked at me and gave me this look that said "Don't recognise me please, please no photos, please"

I also saw Richmond rookie Mabior Chol on my train the other week. He got off at my stop and jumped in the sketchiest looking beat up Camry you've ever seen. He is very tall and very very very thin.

Billy Brownless once gave me that look waiting to take a piss at Etihad. Had his hoodie over his head. Looked scared shitless.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Another NAB game this arvo/evening, Freo vs Tigs, I'm keen to see Sam Collins, Brady Grey and Connor Blakely have a run, and of course Cow Dude and his magnificent pony tail.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
If there's one thing I want to see less than Freo during footy season, it's Freo during pre-season

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Apparently the Melbourne intra club hit out started a bit rusty with Melbourne off to a slow start but Melbourne were able to work themselves into the game in the second half, although Melbourne did give up a lot of goals towards the finish.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

Apparently the Melbourne intra club hit out started a bit rusty with Melbourne off to a slow start but Melbourne were able to work themselves into the game in the second half, although Melbourne did give up a lot of goals towards the finish.

A Melbourne intraclub match feels as though it would be a lot like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXatqcigUFw

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 19, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

If there's one thing I want to see less than Freo during footy season, it's Freo during pre-season

If anything I think we'd be better to watch pre-season, we might try out this whole ~*scoring*~ thing

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Go the Richmond highlighters!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
lol the hayden ballantyne wing - is this mt barker?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

2 kicks out on the full in the last minute

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I want :swoon:Lachie Weller:swoon: to come to the Saints so bad.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Saw the first half in the Espy at inverloch. Been over a year since I stepped into a gaming lounge at a pub and I'd forgotten how loving depressing they are between dogs, horses and the relentless march of Keno.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Footy in February should stay in the trash where it belongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

lol the hayden ballantyne wing - is this mt barker?

It's Mandurah, Peel's home ground, hence the HB wing.

Tigers jumper is not great, the Richmond Crowd Controllers.

Lachie Weller is going to be a ripper player, and is a dream boat to boot :allears:

• Locked thread