Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I enjoyed that Deadpool took a moment to drag an unconscious Bob to safety before continuing on with the fight.

I understand the decision to make Ajax's backstory/motivation a little less of the focus, but I didn't really buy him as the acting head of the organization, or at least the most prominent face of it. Dr. Killebrew may not have fit in the grand scheme of things, but Ajax didn't really read as smart enough to be doing all this genetic manipulation firsthand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Buzkashi posted:

I enjoyed that Deadpool took a moment to drag an unconscious Bob to safety before continuing on with the fight.

I understand the decision to make Ajax's backstory/motivation a little less of the focus, but I didn't really buy him as the acting head of the organization, or at least the most prominent face of it. Dr. Killebrew may not have fit in the grand scheme of things, but Ajax didn't really read as smart enough to be doing all this genetic manipulation firsthand.

Am I crazy, or did he say something about the project made him, he killed the guy who made him, and now he's doing it to others?

So yeah, he basically stole the krabby patty formula, and isn't a research scientist. He's just randomly juicing people and hoping something neat happens.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Am I crazy, or did he say something about the project made him, he killed the guy who made him, and now he's doing it to others?

So yeah, he basically stole the krabby patty formula, and isn't a research scientist. He's just randomly juicing people and hoping something neat happens.

Ajax and Angel Dust are employees of the program now, we don't get to see the people in charge.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 19, 2016

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm thinking there might be a reason she didn't say much. Actually, despite the number of female characters I'd say they're the films biggest weakness in terms of how they're treated and what's done with them, up to and including a fairly cliche damsel in distress scenario.

Haywire is great but Carano's voice was dubbed over, guess she sounds weird?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's an employee of the program now, we don't get to see the people above him.

Okay. I must have zoned out while Francis was yammering on about his short life.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Okay. I must have zoned out while Francis was yammering on about his short life.

Yeah, he talked a big game but he's really just middle management at best.

Edit: I just realized Colossus was right, it WOULD have been better to keep Francis alive (at least until they pump him for information). He's really just a glorified grunt, his bosses are still out there and with ol'Frannie boy dead there's no way to track them down. Or at least there wouldn't be if Colossus hadn't saved Angel Dust. So I guess the real moral here is it's okay for one hero to murder bad guys as long as there's another hero keeping some of those people alive so you can get clues on how to track down worse bad guys?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 19, 2016

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jet sanchEz posted:

Haywire is great but Carano's voice was dubbed over, guess she sounds weird?

Yep. It's deep and weird. Some of the original trailers had the original audio. Not sure what they were trying to do. It just ends up distracting.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm eating some chimichangas today in honor of my main man Deadpool! :munch:

kiimo posted:

While I don't really know anybody on the production side making those decisions I'm willing to bet the budget won't be a problem going forward. I bet they could get 100m easily if they wanted it.

...now.

Yeah with how well the movie's done I have no doubt that Deadpool 2 can easily get $100+ million. I can't even complain about the relatively low and sometimes slashed budget, it made them make the most out of what they did have and the only real cuts were to action scenes, which were still pretty drat cool. Plus you've taught the top people involved how to optimize a budget so I trust $100 million more in their hands than I would in, say, Bryan Singer's hands, just because him and other traditional big movie directors are used to having a mostly blank check to get their vision across. Obviously you don't reach the top without knowing how to use your budget well, generally speaking, but you could tell pretty easily how hungry everyone involved in the movie was and how much effort they were putting into making a good movie.

I still can't believe that I got to see that script come to fruition mostly intact, that sucker rocked my world when I read it and it was a real bummer thinking it was never going to get made.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope they get a 100 million and use half of it for the film, and blow the other half on one giant special effect.

Hopefully with a money counter, going up and up each time the dumb effect is on screen.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
CGI Hugh Jackman.

It's legit, I'm sure it's covered by a parody clause or something.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oh man, they should do an obviously CGI Wolverine popping up through most of the movie as a Deadpool hallucination that he talks to but no one else can see, and then end it with him seeing the real deal in a Jackman cameo and just flipping out.

CelticPredator posted:

I hope they get a 100 million and use half of it for the film, and blow the other half on one giant special effect.

Hopefully with a money counter, going up and up each time the dumb effect is on screen.

I also like this idea, though the best way to do that is probably a scene with lots of explosions or effects and Deadpool giving a running "money" total on how much each one cost. I'm just looking forward to more budget jokes, frankly, they're highly underrepresented in cinema.

Also Kiimo, I'm just curious how much "heat" or pressure to create a good product is on marketing compared to those working on the movie. Obviously people like the Director, writers and actors are going to get the bulk of the credit, good or bad, for a movie, but I'm wondering how much you feel the repercussions of a good or bad performance trickles down to the marketing side. Obviously the Deadpool marketing team is getting well-deserved kudos, but I'm wondering if that's a rare case, like have you seen marketing work on a hit movie and get no credit, or work on a bad movie and get no blame? For simplicity, you can measure good and bad by box office performance, though you can bring in critic reviews if you want.

This popped into my head because you mentioned Pixels, and it got me wondering if instead of a party you had something like mass firings after marketing a movie that performed as poorly as Pixels did.

I remain interested in whatever stuff you can pass along in general too, please keep it up!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Was that a Tinto Brass reference at the end?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pixels was Sony, I only worked on it because I was at a vendor between studio gigs which is way more hands-on. So we won the trailer over like ten other vendors so in our world Pixels was a success. We put blood sweat and tears into trying to make that thing look good and also please Sony which was very difficult and mine it for everything we could find while Sony is saying you can't market this as a comedy, leave the comedic bits out we basically think it's Guardians of the Galaxy so give us that. I thought we came as close as we could and I spent a lot of nights working until 2 in the morning, enough to convince yourself you had a good successful movie/campaign on your hands.

That said Sony spent hundreds of millions on Pixels and had every vendor in town working on it (you usually have 3 or 4 max) and we finished the trailer on like version 70 (it was perfect at version 19) if you count all the alts. It can't be overstated how jacked up and...transitory Sony's marketing department was and a lot of people left after that debacle. Usually you're insulated and just blame production for making an un-marketable movie that nobody wants to see even if it's good (*cough* a movie about a British ski jumper *cough*). However the clock is ticking when you market several box office failures in a row. But more often than not the people who are fired just move right over to another slightly lower-profile studio after getting let go, usually with a raise. People fail upwards all the time.

To answer your question sometimes the marketing department does a great job on a "failure". I worked on Edge of Tomorrow and was so proud of that campaign because we managed to make it not a total failure when the entire time we were facing testing results that screamed nobody wants to see this thing even though it was great. On the flip side I thought we did a good job on making people believe Point Break was worth your time despite being a trash film but people still didn't see it so that's a failure albeit one we blamed on Alcon to divert the blame. As we should, Alcon deserved it.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe that can be the origin of his bodyslide teleporter. Its a 5 million dollar effect, used a total of ten times, and could build suspense with the audience thinking "there's still so much to do, but we're running out money!" and develop some pathos for the production team.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kiimo posted:

Pixels was Sony, I only worked on it because I was at a vendor between studio gigs which is way more hands-on. So we won the trailer over like ten other vendors so in our world Pixels was a success. We put blood sweat and tears into trying to make that thing look good and also please Sony which was very difficult and mine it for everything we could find while Sony is saying you can't market this as a comedy, leave the comedic bits out we basically think it's Guardians of the Galaxy so give us that. I thought we came as close as we could and I spent a lot of nights working until 2 in the morning, enough to convince yourself you had a good successful movie/campaign on your hands.

That said Sony spent hundreds of millions on Pixels and had every vendor in town working on it (you usually have 3 or 4 max) and we finished the trailer on like version 70 (it was perfect at version 19) if you count all the alts. It can't be overstated how jacked up and...transitory Sony's marketing department was and a lot of people left after that debacle. Usually you're insulated and just blame production for making an un-marketable movie that nobody wants to see even if it's good (*cough* a movie about a British ski jumper *cough*). However the clock is ticking when you market several box office failures in a row. But more often than not the people who are fired just move right over to another slightly lower-profile studio after getting let go, usually with a raise. People fail upwards all the time.

To answer your question sometimes the marketing department does a great job on a "failure". I worked on Edge of Tomorrow and was so proud of that campaign because we managed to make it not a total failure when the entire time we were facing testing results that screamed nobody wants to see this thing even though it was great. On the flip side I thought we did a good job on making people believe Point Break was worth your time despite being a trash film but people still didn't see it so that's a failure albeit one we blamed on Alcon to divert the blame. As we should, Alcon deserved it.

Yeah you absolutely need to start a thread, these stories are super interesting to read.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Yeah you absolutely need to start a thread, these stories are super interesting to read.

Yup, I agree. It'd be great for Ask/Tell, "Ask me about marketing movies." I'm sure people would have general questions and questions about specific movies, I mean you have to have at least one solid story about marketing Point Break. I can see why you might not want to just full-on list all the movies you've worked on though.

I thought the Edge of Tomorrow marketing was good, I blame America for not realizing that "Groundhog day but with a war movie against aliens" is an awesome premise.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I talk about it too much as it is to be honest. I'm pretty sure I signed some disclosure agreements saying I should keep my trap shut. I started the trailer/tv spot thread though that had some stories.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

DOFP or W:O?

The Wolverine, the one in Japan. The "unrated extended" cut on DVD/BR adds two entire action set pieces, one of which was probably cut for pacing and the other of which almost certainly got nixed for gore, and re-adds blood and extends shots in the others, in addition to a few extra story bits; by all appearances, it's the original R-rated cut that they tested before going to PG-13 for the final release.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

kiimo posted:

I talk about it too much as it is to be honest. I'm pretty sure I signed some disclosure agreements saying I should keep my trap shut. I started the trailer/tv spot thread though that had some stories.

Fair enough, I figured there should be something like a NDA in place when you're at the "working on movies" level. Can you throw a link up to that thread? It's probably archived and beyond my low-class status, but if it's not I'd like to check it out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sure thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483878

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

Usually you're insulated and just blame production for making an un-marketable movie that nobody wants to see even if it's good (*cough* a movie about a British ski jumper *cough*).

Haha the marketing for this is so so bad, like never work again bad. I'm sure it's a fine film but the trailers for it gave me every reason not to see it. Whew

You know they're desperate when the trailers are reduced to 'hey people who were in movies you liked are in this so you should see it' and NOTHING else

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

it's tough because if you market it as a sports movie you automatically take a reduced box office. But it has Hugh Jackman and is directed by the guy who did Kingsman and the star of Kingsman.

Well nobody: cares about ski jumping except the Finns, knows Taron Edgerton by name especially when he's unrecognizable, cares about other countries' Olympians, trust this movie to be entertaining.

TV spots have been really tough especially. Everything is switching to review-based spots because people should know it's actually a good, enjoyable movie. But it also doesn't help that the only recognizable person is limited in how much he can be shown in marketing by the agreements set forth in the ad/pub guidelines. So you can't show Hugh more than Taron.

See you at the theaters!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah sweet, not archived. This'll be a fun way to spend a few days, though I imagine I'll make it easy on myself and start with just your posts.

And yeah this ski movie may be an amazing character piece with stellar acting, but I'm just not going to see it because it's about a goddamn Ski jumper, while Deadpool is about Deadpool.

Oh, and everyone needs to check out the recent Deadpool Q&A (just look for it on youtube). It's got the director and producer just telling rad stories, and it was done like just before the movie's release so you get to see their perspective from before it changed the game, but they still basically all say that it's gonna change the game.

They also give mad props and credit to the marketing team and say that they had little to no involvement, when so many shittier people would say they did just to take credit for everything they can.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I saw the trailer before Deadpool, and my reaction was pretty much as follows:

"Hugh Jackman and Taron Egerton" - got my attention!

"Ski movie" - completely lost my attention, gently caress off movie.

"Matthew Vaughn!" - oh wait poo poo seriously?

"Still a goddamn ski movie" - yeah no nevermind

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I think Gina Carano is pretty cool, though I don't care who plays Wonder Woman, but don't act like casting Gal Gadot is them choosing someone who's better at acting, as if a) she has a better pedigree (she doesn't) and b) the role requires more than what someone like Carano can offer (it's a superhero film, it doesn't)

Spoiler: Haywire is probably going to remain a better film than whatever Gal Gadot stars in for the next decade

Haywire already isn't as good as any of the F&F movies Gadot was in, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Haywire already isn't as good as any of the F&F movies Gadot was in, though.

I've only seen Fast Five but it's better than Fast Five. Why are all of those movies two and a half hours long?

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV

kiimo posted:

...Sony is saying you can't market this as a comedy, leave the comedic bits out we basically think it's Guardians of the Galaxy so give us that.

So the Sony execs thought the movie with the talking raccoon and the rear end-kicking tree was a deadly serious sci-fi thriller?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, I saw the trailer before Deadpool, and my reaction was pretty much as follows:

"Hugh Jackman and Taron Egerton" - got my attention!

"Ski movie" - completely lost my attention, gently caress off movie.

"Matthew Vaughn!" - oh wait poo poo seriously?

"Still a goddamn ski movie" - yeah no nevermind

It's not directed by Matthew Vaughn. It is however, directed by the guy who was crushed to death by Hit-Girl and Big Daddy in Kick-rear end.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Carano was fine in HAYWIRE, but Soderbergh is good at getting performances out of non-actors. Carano in anything else is flat and lifeless. Just like Rhonda Rousey.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure how anyone can judge an actor's performance as fine if they had to dub that actor's voice with someone else for the entire film.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X-O posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can judge an actor's performance as fine if they had to dub that actor's voice with someone else for the entire film.

Ray Park was the best thing about The Phantom Menace. :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

That isn't what happened, Gina Carano dubbed over her own lines. Like Jackie Chan.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ryan Reynolds did his best to sell the ski jump film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqLVvj6Ks20

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That ski jumper movie looks good but not 15 dollars good. Sorry kiimosabe :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

effectual posted:

That ski jumper movie looks good but not 15 dollars good. Sorry kiimosabe :(

That's fine just go see X-Men Apocalypse, Independence Day Resurrection, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates or Miss Peregrine.

(I've only seen Mike and Dave so far, our red band trailer is hilarious and we're having to dial it back for some reason)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncTFEnxRV8

Goddamn these guys did some major work on getting Colossus to come to life.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Kiimo, what ironically self-deprecating insult would best describe you if you were in the opening credits of Deadpool? Are you an "asshat", a "tool", a "souless suit", a "fucktard", or what? Please understand I don't mean this insultingly, I'm trying to sell my buddies on joining the forums and if I can tell them, "yeah the actual Worthless Jerkoff from the opening credits is posting there right now" it might work better.

Also, is the scene where Ajax bent the steel bar deliberately intended as a callback to the battle between Arnold and Patrick from T2?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Junior Suit Who Thinks He Works In Movies But Isn't Worth An Actual Callout.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
As someone who was never into comic books and has avoided most of the super hero movies of the last decade or so, I really, really enjoyed Deadpool. It's a good movie, would watch again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Network Pesci posted:

Kiimo, what ironically self-deprecating insult would best describe you if you were in the opening credits of Deadpool? Are you an "asshat", a "tool", a "souless suit", a "fucktard", or what? Please understand I don't mean this insultingly, I'm trying to sell my buddies on joining the forums and if I can tell them, "yeah the actual Worthless Jerkoff from the opening credits is posting there right now" it might work better.

Also, is the scene where Ajax bent the steel bar deliberately intended as a callback to the battle between Arnold and Patrick from T2?

No. T2 has no bending.

• Locked thread