Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There's a lot of stuff going on on those status screens, and it's not like I expected there to be a loving bullshit "gank your sister behind enemy lines" ability.

EDIT: Somehow I doubt the little twerp was going to suddenly become a super powerful god character at level 20.
actually, it's very fair.

and she's a pretty good unit with a good personal skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

You don't need another dread seal or dark falcon thing for the same character if they've used one once already

Heart seal should work (I assume that's what the Parallel seal is called now, gently caress if I know, sounds like some marriage poo poo personally)
heart seal is the parallel one. i guess because it's the classes they have in their heart? who knows

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

actually, it's very fair.

and she's a pretty good unit with a good personal skill.

Lol you seem more defensive than necessary. I've never played an FE game so I didn't know what status screen info was important. I guess now I know.

And she's gone now forever and I already saved it without realizing that a plot character "retreating" still means I've lost her as a unit, presumably forever.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Perfect Potato posted:

You don't need another dread seal or dark falcon thing for the same character if they've used one once already

Heart seal should work (I assume that's what the Parallel seal is called now, gently caress if I know, sounds like some marriage poo poo personally)

Heart Seal is the parallel one, yeah. Partner Seal is the one for marriage.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Do you get a free Heart Seal at some point earlier or do I need to drop a bunch of gold on it to get Mozu to be an archer?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

surf rock posted:

Do you get a free Heart Seal at some point earlier or do I need to drop a bunch of gold on it to get Mozu to be an archer?

Depending on the game, but I haven't gotten any non-Master Seals from enemies by chapter 13 Birthright. Just buy 1 from your store.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

Depending on the game, but I haven't gotten any non-Master Seals from enemies by chapter 13 Birthright. Just buy 1 from your store.

You get one from the chapter 9 boss in Conquest, just to continue the information.

So how does the learning skills every level thing work, exactly. If you level to level 10 in a new class, does the level 10 skill get received, the level 1 skill, or both?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Lol you seem more defensive than necessary. I've never played an FE game so I didn't know what status screen info was important. I guess now I know.

And she's gone now forever and I already saved it without realizing that a plot character "retreating" still means I've lost her as a unit, presumably forever.

you got your sister killed and all you can do is make excuses for yourself. shameful. takumi was right

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Supremezero posted:

You get one from the chapter 9 boss in Conquest, just to continue the information.

So how does the learning skills every level thing work, exactly. If you level to level 10 in a new class, does the level 10 skill get received, the level 1 skill, or both?

If you change a base class at level 10, you get both abilities of the new class by level 12.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Looper posted:

you got your sister killed and all you can do is make excuses for yourself. shameful. takumi was right

It doesn't matter, I wasn't shipping her with anyone. She's better off sitting this war off in the hospital, this is no place for a young girl with a broken healing staff.

My ninja and samurai girl are totally going to get married and that's all that matters

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Man, I found out about capturing bosses right after clearing Chapter 9 (Conquest).

Took me about two hours but I restarted and got back to where I was, with Haitaka in tow this time (I also wanted to change my guy's Talent). Chapter 8 Hard/Classic takes it out of me every time though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugh, i'm really hurting for armor knights in Conquest chapter 14. Effie was averaging <3 points per level so I dumped her, and then I sacrificed that burly looking dude to bowbro's 100% crit rate on my third attempt at chapter 13. I guess it's not an essential class or anything, but I really like just sitting them at chokepoints.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silas is a pretty defense oriented cavalier.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

If you change a base class at level 10, you get both abilities of the new class by level 12.

That is not the question.

Change at level 9. Level up to 10. What get.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
So I'm new to this series. Is there any disadvantage of ignoring switching classes? Most of my people are around lvl 12 so now I'm worried I may should have switched classes. Corrin has the Samurai talent. Should I just play through regularly first go around? Nothing really explain classes disadvantage / advantages. Birthright btw

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't know if Rinkah just got lucky on my Lunatic playthrough or if the differences in playstyle necessitated by the higher difficulty make her more important or what, but while on Hard I was barely using her to poor effect, she's a cornerstone to a lot of my strategies on Lunatic due to being one of the few characters I have that can actually take a couple drat hits and stay up. Absolutely essential for baiting out enemies. Due to this constant use, she's now easily keeping up in levels with the top tier of my party, and her weapon skill has been raising astronomically fast.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Silas and his javelin are OP, he's my boy.

You gently caress 'em up Silas.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Supremezero posted:

That is not the question.

Change at level 9. Level up to 10. What get.

You only learn skills in the current class you are.

OMGzKakaniz posted:

So I'm new to this series. Is there any disadvantage of ignoring switching classes? Most of my people are around lvl 12 so now I'm worried I may should have switched classes. Corrin has the Samurai talent. Should I just play through regularly first go around? Nothing really explain classes disadvantage / advantages. Birthright btw

No, there's nothing lost. Some people are just way better in different classes because characters like Azama are really lovely as healers but absurdly powerful in physical classes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

OMGzKakaniz posted:

nah switching classes isn't necessary at all, except maybe for Mozu since villager is an intentionally bad class

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm still keeping my Mozu in villager until level 10 even though the level 10 villager skill is pretty mediocre because I have brain problems and just see UNIQUE SKILL ONLY THIS CHARACTER CAN GET and not what the actual effect is. And I drat well know that skill is gonna be the first to go once/if I run out of skill slots.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So in Fates should I be using the pair up system heavily or just be clumping everyone together? because I'm doing the former since it was p much required for awakening

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Chapter 10 sure is a defense mission. This game rules, I've never had that much fun while playing a Fire Emblem game even if I had to restart 3~4 times each chapter.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm new to this and did not read the thread and have Conquest. Is the MAP DLC thing worth it if I like grinding in games or can each map from the DLC only be played once after chapter 6 unlocks them?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Schrodingers cat posted:

I'm new to this and did not read the thread and have Conquest. Is the MAP DLC thing worth it if I like grinding in games or can each map from the DLC only be played once after chapter 6 unlocks them?

No, they're infinite times.

Though if you really like grinding, you probably should've gotten Birthright.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

So in Fates should I be using the pair up system heavily or just be clumping everyone together? because I'm doing the former since it was p much required for awakening

Dual Attacks are nice to put on damage, or to proc hidden weapon debuffs more easily.

Pair-ups are mostly to avoid your chokepoint dying because it prevents enemy dual attacks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I have found Pairing up to not really be that useful since you don't get both people attacking anymore

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Pair up if you want a defensive bonus or to hide a unit, adjacent units if you want dual attacks. So far the defensive bonus has not seemed very effective for me.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have found Pairing up to not really be that useful since you don't get both people attacking anymore

But if I stick a ninja on my avatar he gets a double attack, so there's some offensive value to pairing up. It's great for keeping your dudes from getting killed--stacking units improves defense so it's quite helpful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pair ups can also be good if you really need an enemy unit deleted RIGHT NOW and most of your crew can't get there for support attacking (typically some sort of mage or archer in a bad position), since they can help your units get the required stats for a one-shot kill. They also help your units at the back get up to the front quicker by abusing the fact that you can pair up after moving and the unit you paired up with can still move.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Supremezero posted:

No, they're infinite times.

Though if you really like grinding, you probably should've gotten Birthright.

I actually really do (TO LUCT being one of my favourite games ever) but a bit late now :)

I'll just start slow and on the lowest difficulty :D

Thanks!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is th villager unit in this game useless? Are they more like Donnel?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is th villager unit in this game useless? Are they more like Donnel?

The only major difference is you get Underdog at 10 instead of 15, and she has archer instead of mercenary+barbarian. You can reclass as early as level 1 though so you may just want to slap a seal on her as soon as you get her.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Actually something I've been wondering, does Attack Stance count as supporting for the purposes of skills like Felicia's? I don't think so but I'm kinda hoping I'm wrong

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It doesnt matter if Lilith dies in castle defense, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

It doesnt matter if Lilith dies in castle defense, right?
nothing in the castle defenses matters

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Actually something I've been wondering, does Attack Stance count as supporting for the purposes of skills like Felicia's? I don't think so but I'm kinda hoping I'm wrong

it does

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does the nohr route just disable the scout option or are challenges gone too?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anything that causes the character to show up as the second character in battle scenes is considered Supporting. It says so on the bottom screen with a small picture of their face, I believe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kaze is a straight up pimp, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

• Locked thread