Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

Dang, I just realized Butler is a promoted class. It took me a bit because they gain exp like unpromoted units. Do they have a higher level cap or something, or are they just traps?

felicia and joker cap at 40 in butler/maid, yeah.

also i just got to birthright chapter 13 and someone please remind me what i need to do to not kill camilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

felicia and joker cap at 40 in butler/maid, yeah.

also i just got to birthright chapter 13 and someone please remind me what i need to do to not kill camilla.

Turn the 3DS off.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Spear Fighter Hinoka is loving disgusting holy poo poo

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Hivac posted:

Spear Fighter Hinoka is loving disgusting holy poo poo

She's like one of the only dual DEF and RES tanks in the game and comes pre-equipped with a lance that ups that poo poo even higher, it's almost cheating to use her for most of Birthright

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I actually slapped a Steel Naginata on her and it didn't really change how tanky she was

It did allow her to begin melting through poo poo like a hot knife through butter

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How do class changes work in this (and is it different between versions)? I heard your level doesn't reset now, is there still a minimum level you need to promote someone? Does that include the bonus DLC classes, ie. can I promote the villager girl off bad class onto one of the dlc good classes out of the gate and just have her be real strong?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
okay so 13 isn't the chapter where you can kill camilla. in related news, hinoka loving dunked on camilla.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Inflammatory posted:

okay so 13 isn't the chapter where you can kill camilla. in related news, hinoka loving dunked on camilla.

Same, but the exact opposite cause I'm playing Conquest

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Endorph posted:

i mean hana has a higher str growth than rinkah and rinkah has a higher def growth than hana

Yes, but they're both eight or ten levels in and still have base str and def. It's kind of annoying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would appreciate it if my avatar could get a single strength upgrade.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Zantetsuken is only 11 letters. Odin's personal skill requires 12. Well that reference is ruined. Maybe I'll had a copyright symbol. Do not steal!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lord Ephraim posted:

Zantetsuken is only 11 letters. Odin's personal skill requires 12. Well that reference is ruined. Maybe I'll had a copyright symbol. Do not steal!

Zantetsuken!

Very Odin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

How do class changes work in this (and is it different between versions)? I heard your level doesn't reset now, is there still a minimum level you need to promote someone? Does that include the bonus DLC classes, ie. can I promote the villager girl off bad class onto one of the dlc good classes out of the gate and just have her be real strong?
yes, but you probably want her as an archer, because archers are good

promotion works the same as it always has, it's reclassing that's different

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want to change Odin to be a samurai because the man is in denial, so I did, but I did it with him at level 10, and I was hoping to get the Samurai skills (which i dont even know what they are). is there any way to get those or am I screwed in that regard

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wish there was an aviator accessory so I could make everyone wear them

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Level up to 12

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I want to change Odin to be a samurai because the man is in denial, so I did, but I did it with him at level 10, and I was hoping to get the Samurai skills (which i dont even know what they are). is there any way to get those or am I screwed in that regard

You will get them at levels 11 and 12.

The skill system in this game is rad as heck and I much prefer it to Awakening or even PoR and RD.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

hmm yes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hp is rough, man

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Hivac posted:

hmm yes

Those base stats are disgusting

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I really dislike that there's no way to exit to the main menu without hard resetting the game. It's a dumb nitpick, but still.

Also I can't decide which of the three available DLC classes I want to make the Villager into on my first Nohr playthrough. It's hard. Dread Fighter is metal as gently caress, Dark Falcon is an early flier and also the Galeforce class, and Great Lord is also really neat. Decisions.

E: I guess you can't even pre-buy Revelations so Dark Falcon is out, makes it a bit easier. I think I'll make her my Great Lord because Dread Fighter's growths are kinda butt.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 20, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's one thing to lose a unit and thus a map when an enemy crits. It's another entirely when you lose because one of your units lands a crit on the enemy turn and takes an unexpected second attack. Sadness.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this defense map on Nohr is a doozy in a good way i suppose. didnt realize the enemies werent gonna raid the homes, woulda saved me an attempt or two

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

I really dislike that there's no way to exit to the main menu without hard resetting the game. It's a dumb nitpick, but still.

Also I can't decide which of the three available DLC classes I want to make the Villager into on my first Nohr playthrough. It's hard. Dread Fighter is metal as gently caress, Dark Falcon is an early flier and also the Galeforce class, and Great Lord is also really neat. Decisions.

L + R + Start

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I know, I just dislike that you can't suspend game with a menu button or something. My L button sticks and it's really obnoxious.

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's one thing to lose a unit and thus a map when an enemy crits. It's another entirely when you lose because one of your units lands a crit on the enemy turn and takes an unexpected second attack. Sadness.

This has caused me more resets in various Fire Emblem games than any other thing, I think. It's maddening.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Finally managed to do Chapter 8. It felt kind of like cheating since I had a Raider Sword that let Silas double, but eh, that chapter was kind of stacked against me anyway. The reward was certainly worth it.

I like the new pair up and dual strike mechanics, but I'm not sure I entirely understand them. They'll dual strike consistently, but it seems like they don't always guard when they should. Is the paired up unit guarding against an opponent's pair up not always supposed to happen?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Momomo posted:

Finally managed to do Chapter 8. It felt kind of like cheating since I had a Raider Sword that let Silas double, but eh, that chapter was kind of stacked against me anyway. The reward was certainly worth it.

I like the new pair up and dual strike mechanics, but I'm not sure I entirely understand them. They'll dual strike consistently, but it seems like they don't always guard when they should. Is the paired up unit guarding against an opponent's pair up not always supposed to happen?

Paired units always block Dual Strikes (I think) and will also block regular attacks after the meter builds up.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

You have a gague thing that fills up for the block, I'm not sure if it's a scaling % thing or not though

e:f,b

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I have one heart seal. Odin wants to be a samurai, I can tell. Mozu needs to be an archer so she sucks less. Alack.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Motto posted:

Paired units always block Dual Strikes and will also block regular attacks after the meter builds up.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It seemed like sometimes they would just stand there, instead of guarding though. It might just be me misremembering what went down though.

On another note, I'm pretty sure this is the first game since FE7 where I'm actually going to use the starting Knight, cause Effie seems pretty great. Niles also seems really good since he can actually double for good damage.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Momomo posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. It seemed like sometimes they would just stand there, instead of guarding though. It might just be me misremembering what went down though.

On another note, I'm pretty sure this is the first game since FE7 where I'm actually going to use the starting Knight, cause Effie seems pretty great. Niles also seems really good since he can actually double for good damage.

Effie's personal skill is huge if she manages to proc her strength growth a couple of times, nothing can stop her once she's on a roll

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I have one heart seal. Odin wants to be a samurai, I can tell. Mozu needs to be an archer so she sucks less. Alack.

Mozu isn't bad at all as a Villager. She barely gains any stats when switching. Azama and Hinoka gain more relevant stats by switching, and Sky Knights seem kinda meh in this game now once you get their skills.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I can survive the first 6 turns of Chapter 10 but holy poo poo, I can't even use chokepoints effectively thanks to the constant ninja attacks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Effie's personal skill is huge if she manages to proc her strength growth a couple of times, nothing can stop her once she's on a roll

I made Effie a Dread Fighter and holy poo poo. The higher base strength compliments her personal skill really well, she gets more weapon options and speed, and those loving defenses :stare:

I don't think there's a single downside to this, she's wrecking so much poo poo.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 20, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The biggest downside is probably that effie.......................................... is boring

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
It bums me out that they still haven't added a "restart battle" button to the pause menu. I really learned to hate the first two seconds of Awakening's intro cinematic because of all the soft resets.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I've been playing Hard Birthright but not grinding at all. I just had an 'Invasion 1' show up on my map screen and when I highlight it the screen changes to a view of a planet out in space rather than the cleared map the fight would be taking place in. Is that a My Castle thing, and if so is there any penalty for just ignoring it and continuing to play the story? I'm liking the difficulty level of the game (so far, at least) while playing the grindy route but not actually grinding.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I like Effie, she's like a female Akihiko with Chie's exaggerated (only in spinoff) appetite. Truly the best.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Before Awakening is so cathartic. After so many restarts to bullshit trying to get past this awful map on Lunatic, being able to sit back and watch Freddie murder all of the everything without having to care about exp is great.

e: ^ Effie is like Ilyana who was my favorite character in both Radiant games so yeah.

e2: Never mind gently caress this map ninjas chain-pulling my healer into the middle of eight enemies is somehow even worse

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looks like there's some scripting error in Azura and F!Corrin's B support? It went something like "I had to kill him!" > guy dies > "I had to kill him!" for me.

• Locked thread