Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

LemonDrizzle posted:

All part of a master plan to boost British exports and rebalance the economy in favour of manufacturing.

Whatta legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Honest Thief posted:

So, I've recently moved to London, and I'm haaaaaaating it, some people been saying there's life outside of London though, any UK-ers can quickly list some decent places to live in the UK? I only that Manchester is kinda dead?

The first half dozen replies will all be variations on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cities_in_Scotland

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

So, I've recently moved to London, and I'm haaaaaaating it, some people been saying there's life outside of London though, any UK-ers can quickly list some decent places to live in the UK? I only that Manchester is kinda dead?

Where are you from?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I actually quite liked living in Birmingham. As long as you stay away from Digbeth it's pretty nice.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jippa posted:

Where are you from?
Portugal, charmed by the idea of higher pay and generally just enjoying visiting London.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'll swap with you. Portsmouth's really great, you'll love it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Look at Oberleutnant's shifty lies.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The British obsession with Hitler's genitalia is weird and bad, not least because it implies that you can only become such a person if you have something wrong with your dick, rather than looking at the economic and political situation. One of them helps stop it happening again, the other helps excuse it.

It's always Hitler too. I've never heard it about Franco or Blanco or Park Chung-hee, or Pinochet even though he had the perfect name for it.

I just think willies are funny.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Also goongrats on being probated for telling a Nazi to kill themselves... and then having an admin realise what had happened and go "WHAT THE gently caress" and unprobate you near-instantly.

lol thanks, it's my proudest forums moment! I did ask the admin for leniency on the basis that he was a nazi and they were very nice about it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pesmerga posted:

In other news, LEGENDS' position in the referendum is leading to a pretty significant Sterling sell off.

It's definitely not because investors are worried about us leaving, no. It's just the uncertainty you see.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Bristol and Manchester are both nice + have pretty strong local economies. Cambridge is very nice if you like smaller towns and have the money to live in something other than a houseshare/shoebox.

Meanwhile, the Boris effect:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Portugal, charmed by the idea of higher pay and generally just enjoying visiting London.

Well I wouldn't take serious advice from this thread, most people just give "joke" replies based on political bullshit. Most uk cities are a much of a muchness and it just gets more rainy and depressing the further north you go.

I can imagine coming from portugal the weather is a big factor. The uk just has terrible weather but it's offset with fun stuff to do like music/sport/what ever.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Puntification posted:

lol thanks, it's my proudest forums moment! I did ask the admin for leniency on the basis that he was a nazi and they were very nice about it.

If only life worked this way. "I find you not guilty of lobbing a half brick at the claimant's head, even though you totally did, on the grounds that the claimant is a nazi and had it coming"

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Tesseraction posted:

Look at Oberleutnant's shifty lies.

The Solent area stretching from Chichester round to Beaulieu really is nice as long as you avoid living in the bigger cities and dead satellite towns though.

Can't wait until they finally combine and you can just say Solent City

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

The Solent area stretching from Chichester round to Beaulieu really is nice as long as you avoid living in the bigger cities and dead satellite towns though.

Can't wait until they finally combine and you can just say Solent City

gently caress that, I'm not joining anything with portsmouth in it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jippa posted:

Well I wouldn't take serious advice from this thread, most people just give "joke" replies based on political bullshit. Most uk cities are a much of a muchness and it just gets more rainy and depressing the further north you go.

I can imagine coming from portugal the weather is a big factor. The uk just has terrible weather but it's offset with fun stuff to do like music/sport/what ever.
eeeeeh, by my short experience here, either you got money to pay for comfort or you willing to live in a shoebox; and I like space.
:shrug:

nothing kills my mood to stay here like coming back on two or three buses after a nightout with a bunch of other drunks

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

I just think willies are funny.

People are always laughing at mine

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

If only life worked this way. "I find you not guilty of lobbing a half brick at the claimant's head, even though you totally did, on the grounds that the claimant is a nazi and had it coming"

forums better than real life!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Cardiff has the third best quality of life in the EU apparently! Come to Wales, it's great, we aren't as rabidly anti-English as the Scots (except when it comes to rugby) and it's not quite as horribly expensive as Bristol. It does rain a lot and some of the valleys towns have the highest rates of domestic violence in the entire UK but overall it's pretty good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

Come up north, it's better. Or at least cheaper. People are nice too so long as you're not too foreign looking/sounding.

E: Or Wales which is like north but with a very specific kind of silly accent.

E2: Oh also there's no jobs up here, so good luck with that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 22, 2016

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

eeeeeh, by my short experience here, either you got money to pay for comfort or you willing to live in a shoebox; and I like space.
:shrug:

nothing kills my mood to stay here like coming back on two or three buses after a nightout with a bunch of other drunks

I think it really just depends on what you want out of your life currently. Do you generally go out with people you work with or do you have friends that live here? If you have friends I would stay near/with them. London is fantastic but if you don't know any one and spend most of the time at home, it's just a waste of money.

This is the problem you are going to face if you go any where new really. It's quite hard to give advice to some one if you don't really know what they enjoy doing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Manchester city centre is pretty scrubby in places, but it does have some very nice bars and cafés. The public transport is increasingly excellent too.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/21/families-challenge-minimum-income-visa-rules-supreme-court-non-eu-partner

quote:

The families of UK citizens denied the right to live in Britain because of the minimum income visa requirement for non-EU partners are to challenge the rules in the supreme court on Monday.
They argue that they have been denied the right to a family life by the rules condemned by migrant rights groups and family campaigners, including the children’s commissioner, Anne Longfield, who has said rules are creating “Skype families”.
British citizens must earn more than £18,600 to bring over a non-EU spouse, rising to £22,400 if they have a child who does not have British citizenship, and an additional £2,400 for each subsequent child.
Critics argue that the law, introduced in July 2012, penalises 43% of the UK population and means British citizens in full-time employment on the minimum wage cannot enjoy the right to live with their families in the UK.
The supreme court challenge, brought after the case was dismissed by the court of appeal last year, has three appellants: two of them, Abdul Majid and Shabana Javed, are British and both married to Pakistani nationals; and the third is known as MM, a Lebanese refugee.
Last year, the Conservative thinktank Bright Blue called on the government to change the rules, noting the “significant contribution millions of low-paid Britons make to our economy and society, as well as the value of having families living together in the same country”. It recommended family visas also be granted as long as the British partner had paid income tax for the past two-and-a-half years.
The Home Office said it was determined “family life must not be established here at the taxpayer’s expense.The level of the minimum income threshold reflects the income at which a British family generally ceases to be able to access income-related benefits.”

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wow that home office statement is just :commissar:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jippa posted:

Eh, this thread's consistently been really good at giving out advice to folk when asked for, in among the jokey bullshit & the very serious calls for Full Communism Now.

Honest Thief posted:

Honestly, depends what you do for work & if you can find anything related there. Generally people here have good things to say about Bristol, I have friends who quite enjoy Cardiff, Birmingham is probably pretty good if you want the feeling of living in a big city but not one as prohibitively expensive as London. People I know in Leeds also seem quite happy to be in Leeds. I only spent 6 months in Sheffield & it was marred by some personal poo poo, but the town itself was a pretty decent spot to live. Plus being on the eastern side of the Pennines I was struck by home dry it seemed compared to what I was used to in north Scotland.

Personally I'd say "consider Glasgow": it's not a particularly expensive place, there's a pretty decent amount of stuff to do, it's got good transport links, both locally, to the rest of Scotland & to lots of the UK (getting to places on the east coast of England generally just involves going via Edinburgh) the people are pretty friendly outwith a minority of scummy neds, there's some good museums & galleries if you're into that. If you want value for rent then probably avoid the west end because that's where the luvvies end up. If you can find vacancies in whatever field you're qualified in, at least give it a thought. Although be warned that it is grey & wet an awful lot. It probably rains on average every second day. It will end up feeling like more of that. But it's also something you get used to, it's rarely more than a shower, almost never torrential.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, real best advice for moving is 'go where the work is'.

Sadly for a LOT of industries that's London :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like how they said that all they'd get are political or joke answers after I already seriously said Birmingham. :colbert:

Sounds like it is them who is the joke answer-er.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
In a huge blow for the leave campaign, the EU commission announced that they are not going to campaign in the referendum.

https://twitter.com/SpiegelPeter/status/701729769537347584

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The weather's shite when it's overcast, cold, windy, and wet (which is 90% of the time) but in full summer there's nowhere on earth I'd rather be than Yorkshire. Or possibly the lake district.

The lakes are pretty fun in the rain too, the place is built for it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

The weather's shite when it's overcast, cold, windy, and wet (which is 90% of the time) but in full summer there's nowhere on earth I'd rather be than Yorkshire. Or possibly the lake district.

The lakes are pretty fun in the rain too, the place is built for it.

That depends on your disposition. As someone who comes from a hot country (like Portugal is, I imagine? I've never been) I think your summers are terrible and no place in England is equipped for them properly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess you could say our summer! Is a bummer!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're not often very hot so I guess if you like heat that may be an issue.

Not being equipped is part of the fun, find a bit of open grass or sand and pitch your brolly.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

They're not often very hot so I guess if you like heat that may be an issue.

And yet everyone wears shorts for some reason which is super odd. Also, for the 2 weeks a year when it is actually hot there's no air conditioning anywhere and public transport is a nightmare.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair Scandies waltz around in shorts during icy weather so it's not like it's unprecedented for people to wear little clothing despite small rises in temperature.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Miftan posted:

As a brief interlude from Hitler's micropenis and other nazi forum posters, I have a question about the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Me and my partner are considering going, but neither of us have been there. Do goons from the area have specific recommendation of when to book, where to stay, where we can see Swiss people singing Scottish folk songs, etc?

The Fringe is great. If you hold off a few months you can get two-for-one tickets at selected shows at the bigger venues. I have no information on booking hotels and the like as I live here.

Of course, what you should do is come to the Free Fringe and get the full spirit of the fringe in you. And you must come to our shows as well and be educated, entertained and informed. We podcasted some of our shows from 2015 so you can try before you come down.

http://www.edinburghskeptics.co.uk/fringe/fringe-about/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

And yet everyone wears shorts for some reason which is super odd. Also, for the 2 weeks a year when it is actually hot there's no air conditioning anywhere and public transport is a nightmare.

It can quite quickly get comparatively hot for those of us not used to actual hot places. I tend to find anything higher than about 16C to be a bit on the warm side.

Faffing about in completely inappropriate clothing is also an essential component of British Summertime. Because you don't get to wear shorts any other time.

If we had air conditioning we wouldn't get to complain about it being too warm.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Air conditioning is hilarious because on the hottest day of the year last year I was wrapped up in a sweater and still shivering.

lovely British technology.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jippa posted:

I think it really just depends on what you want out of your life currently. Do you generally go out with people you work with or do you have friends that live here? If you have friends I would stay near/with them. London is fantastic but if you don't know any one and spend most of the time at home, it's just a waste of money.

This is the problem you are going to face if you go any where new really. It's quite hard to give advice to some one if you don't really know what they enjoy doing.
I got a handful of friends here, and that's the one part of the week I really like, but I'm freelancing on tech industry so I can't really stay near them cause then I would be commuting at least an hour plus to work.

forkboy84 posted:

Eh, this thread's consistently been really good at giving out advice to folk when asked for, in among the jokey bullshit & the very serious calls for Full Communism Now.

Honestly, depends what you do for work & if you can find anything related there. Generally people here have good things to say about Bristol, I have friends who quite enjoy Cardiff, Birmingham is probably pretty good if you want the feeling of living in a big city but not one as prohibitively expensive as London. People I know in Leeds also seem quite happy to be in Leeds. I only spent 6 months in Sheffield & it was marred by some personal poo poo, but the town itself was a pretty decent spot to live. Plus being on the eastern side of the Pennines I was struck by home dry it seemed compared to what I was used to in north Scotland.
The tech industry is really booming in London, it just so happens that rent is getting higher because of it, among other things; plus, I'm tired of flatsharing but I guess that's my own problem.
I know of a guy in my field who's renting a place in Regent's Court, but he's not a good example for an average shmoe in tech.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guavanaut posted:

I just read the post that started all that. :dogbutton:

What the gently caress is wrong with EuroPol thread?

Also how did UKMT end up as a thread that regards Marx as a bit centrist and EuroPol ended up as a garbage fire?

Because the UKMT was transplanted directly from LF when it closed. Very few (around 2-3) posters left from around then though. Euro-pol presumably has its roots in traditional (right wing) D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

thehustler posted:

The Fringe is great. If you hold off a few months you can get two-for-one tickets at selected shows at the bigger venues. I have no information on booking hotels and the like as I live here.

Of course, what you should do is come to the Free Fringe and get the full spirit of the fringe in you. And you must come to our shows as well and be educated, entertained and informed. We podcasted some of our shows from 2015 so you can try before you come down.

http://www.edinburghskeptics.co.uk/fringe/fringe-about/

That actually sounds really cool and if we're there we'll probably drop by! Do tickets for stuff usually sell out early? I'd hate to miss out because we booked hotels and events too late.

OwlFancier posted:

It can quite quickly get comparatively hot for those of us not used to actual hot places. I tend to find anything higher than about 16C to be a bit on the warm side.

Faffing about in completely inappropriate clothing is also an essential component of British Summertime. Because you don't get to wear shorts any other time.

If we had air conditioning we wouldn't get to complain about it being too warm.

20C or so is the sweet spot. I don't think I've worn my shorts once in the 3 or so years I've been living here. I don't know what public transport is like in Yorkshire but once it goes past 15C the tube is an unholy terror of stench and sweat.

• Locked thread