Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kurokiba's going to win and i'm gonna be very happy for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Don't believe in Kurokiba. Believe in Alice who believes in Kurokiba.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mikl posted:

I'll believe in both.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i believe

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

I'll believe in only two things. Alice is the best girl and should've been the love interest instead of Erina.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Please, Soma doesn't deserve Alice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Kurokiba is gonna get owned unfortunately. The judges will say (paraphrased) "Your dish is a good dish but the opponent's dish is even more good" and then Kurokiba will turn around, look the audience in the eye, and violently slit his own throat with one of his knives. Alice will then inherit his knives, techniques, and headscarf and defeat dumb-face-tattoo guy in a future rematch. After defeating him, a translucent image of a smiling Kurokiba will appear in the sky and Alice and the other characters will cry with happiness now that Kurokiba has been avenged.

Seriously tho I really hope Kurokiba wins because this is kind of being set up as his loss; usually the character whose meal is talked up a bunch first is the one who ends up losing, though this comic has defied that pattern a few times.

Part of me is wondering where all these non-Elite 10 central guys came from. While it makes sense for there to be other really good (or at least better than the "elite" freshmen) cooks in the 2nd and 3rd years, I'm pretty sure they explicitly stated at some point that this freshman class was shaping up to be significantly better than previous classes. Like, it seems funny for these characters to be like "heh you're a loser who sucks at cooking" when people like Kurokiba are probably better than all non-Elite 10 2nd and 3rd years were when they were freshman. While this doesn't mean that the best non-Elite 10 2nd/3rd years won't still be better than the protagonist and his posse, it is kind of strange that apparently there aren't any other non-evil good cooks in the 2nd and 3rd years (other than Isshiki, Szechuan elite 10 guy, and the other non-Central elite 10 guy). I guess my point is that it is kind of bizarre that literally every good 2nd and 3rd year other than the 3 people I mentioned is an active follower of Central/Azami.

Even in the worst case scenario that almost all good 2nd and 3rd year cooks are also assholes, it seems like the power balance would be upset as the current freshman class grows up (since it seems like every single talented freshman cook at the very least isn't pro-Central).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Please, Soma doesn't deserve Alice.

Actually, I like Soma and think he's pretty cool. Maybe about a third as cool as Alice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Soma is cool, but Alice is still too cool for him.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
This chapter doubled down so hard on the loss flags I'm starting to think it's all a trick and Kurokiba may actually win. He won't, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I spent most of the chapter thinking it was building for him to lose until it ended with tattoo man pulling out his secret weapon and smugly proclaiming his superiority and victory. Which is pretty telling on who's got the narrative advantage right now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Soma is cool, but Alice is still too cool for him.

That's not fair though. Alice is too cool for everyone in this manga.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had a bit of faith, but after Alice basically said "I don't care about our society", I think he's going down.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I bet he loses but it'll be a 2-1 score, compared to the rest of the societies who lost 3-0.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I had a bit of faith, but after Alice basically said "I don't care about our society", I think he's going down.

i think he's going to win and she's going to be forced to captain the club

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfgames posted:

i think he's going to win and she's going to be forced to captain the club

No, Alice quits and makes Ryou the new captain

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

I bet he loses but it'll be a 2-1 score, compared to the rest of the societies who lost 3-0.

Which would be treated than worse than a loss by Central.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
"Please don't talk to me."

"Okay, we'll just talk in front of you then."

:allears:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Latest chapter.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Still no one better than Alice.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well, alice looked lovely at least

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

only two panels worth reading

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If it's following typical presentation tropes, Kurokiba will win because he's presenting second. Otoh, we've seen this manga ignore that pattern and give the victory to the first presenter

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Soma knows what's up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That is one of the tastiest meals I've seen in the series so far, but I'm biased since I really love salmon.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This dude is about to get schooled so hard.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

That is one of the tastiest meals I've seen in the series so far, but I'm biased since I really love salmon.

I'm really happy Kurokiba's getting a match because Seafood is delicious and i'm really looking forward to seeing more seafood dishes.

Also, Kurokiba's got this in the bag. He's got experience against people who use cutting edge food technology, and Alice is clearly way smarter than this guy.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kurokiba just kind of calmly going about his business has me thinking he's got this now.

Sharkopath posted:

This is correct tho

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if I'm just being a snob 'cause I'm used to the sous vide scene, but the characters oozing over tattoo-face guy's use of fancy appliances is just... :rolleyes:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm still waiting for someone to dramatically announce they used salt and pepper.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you don't love overdramatic posturing about simple techniques and skills then there's something wrong with you imo. It's an integral part of sports shonen, and of this manga as well! And I for one would hate to be rid of it. :colbert:

Edit:

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to dramatically announce they used salt and pepper.

Soma's use of tomato sauce was pretty close to that.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you don't love overdramatic posturing about simple techniques and skills then there's something wrong with you imo. It's an integral part of sports shonen, and of this manga as well! And I for one would hate to be rid of it. :colbert:
Ah, yes, how could I forgot that this is of the shounen variety and that I shouldn't be taking it so seriously? :doh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

*Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga. :iamafag:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

tbh tattoo kid is the only person in the manga so far who even looks like your average linecook

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

krnhotwings posted:

I dunno if I'm just being a snob 'cause I'm used to the sous vide scene, but the characters oozing over tattoo-face guy's use of fancy appliances is just... :rolleyes:

The average person has never heard of a sous vide and some of the cool new kitchen appliances so it makes sense for them to hype it up. My mom bought a new oven a while ago and I had to explain the whole concept of a convection oven to her.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Always relevant.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Logicblade posted:

Always relevant.

Had I money to spare, I'd pay to see a manga revolving around UNO. :allears:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Logicblade posted:

Always relevant.

My mind is so filled with YGO that when I read that I wondered how anybody could be at a disadvantage after drawing 2 cards.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everyone posts that comic but nobody ever posts the sequel which is just as good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm sad there's not one where the bad guy is delivering his monologue with one card in his hand and interrupted by the protagonist looking smug and saying "Uno" :smug: