Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Titan posted:

I want more info on what Constantine is doing in Hell.

Limbo would have been funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Darkh also had the worst stunt double. It was painfully obvious when he was throwing punches

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Constantine has been in hell before and he will be there again.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just watched this week's episode.

Did the stunt coordinator just not show up or something? Atrocious action scenes. Damien Dahrk just Vader'ed really hard and when he did throw a punch you could clearly see the stunt double multiple times. Also some hilarious bits with the rest of the cast, with me spotting one soldier being touched by Thea and immediately went flying.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Lets be honest now. If any one of us could use magic to choke and throw people and things around, would you ever really bother learning how to properly fight? I wouldn't.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Titan posted:

Lets be honest now. If any one of us could use magic to choke and throw people and things around, would you ever really bother learning how to properly fight? I wouldn't.

If I had the power to make people stand still for a bit using my hand, I would shoot them with a gun in my other hand. As far as we can tell his power are almost harmless against good guys but instantly kill his allies.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Maybe if they rushed Darkh from the beginning with more than two people at once they could've won a long time ago. The guy only has two hands.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Krad posted:

Maybe if they rushed Darkh from the beginning with more than two people at once they could've won a long time ago. The guy only has two hands.

The truly sad thing is they were given this blueprint by that S1 or S2 villain whose (largely successful) strategy was to have more goons on hand than Ollie had arrows.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chokes McGee posted:

Laurel has been undergoing a steady development character arc for four goddamn seasons without backsliding which is more than twice over I can say for Felicity.

The problem with Felicity is the same problem with every female character in this show after they start dating or having some sort of relation with Oliver. Their entire character is now written entirely around the CW relationship drama and they cease to exist otherwise. Felicity was a somewhat dorky and fun character before she fell for Oliver on-screen. Similarly, Laurel pretty much existed only as a dramatic drunk when she hated/cared romantically for Oliver, to the point that even the actress pointed out her character was taken to a bad direction and was being poorly used. After she became the Canary and it was Felicity's turn, that went away.

I live in a country where people love both to produce and import a lot of soap operas and I think Arrow is pretty much the closest I've seen to a soap opera from these modern TV shows, and while CW shows try hard on that department, Arrow really shines. Everything happens for one reason - to produce short term drama. The characters are incredibly dumb and take decisions that are obviously wrong because it'll produce drama for the next 1 to 3 episodes and that's the reason behind almost every decision they take, especially Oliver. The others take turns between being level-headed and melodramatic, but every Oliver's decision exists to cause drama, regardless of whether the decision is right, wrong, smart or dumb. If he's doing the right thing he'll be misunderstood, if he's doing the wrong thing he'll torture himself. This cycles between every character - he'll do something right or wrong that will upset them, they will severely overblow it, they'll make peace after they learn the importance of trust and they'll now be supportive to Oliver while he deals with the next character he did just upset. And the problem with every romantic interest is that they're trapped in this CW melodrama hell forever until either of them break up.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think the romantic interests that had real good chemistry with Oliver on-screen were Sara and that crazy assassin girl who wanted to kill her father, and he pretty much caused drama with both of them because they were assassins and the timing of their relationships was conveniently when Oliver decided that his frag count in the hundreds was good enough to call quits and he should now lecture people instead. I mean, what if he had met either of them as soon as he got back from the island? What if instead of killing Ras Al Ghul he had used his "poo poo I have to kill someone" card on Malcolm? What if he had disbanded the League of Assassins when he explicitly knew he could? What if he had never given the ring to Malcolm, one of the worst decisions imaginable? What if he had called the Flash almost every episode? He could just speed-blitz and steal the Idol away. Somehow in a show with metahumans, magic and spirits the true enemy of suspension of disbelief is basic logic and relationship drama. It's better just to shut your brain down and enjoy the show for the absurd it provides.

Bottom line is, somehow we take great joy at watching these dumb characters doing dumb things. And they'll never stop. They won't stop.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 26, 2016

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Having said that, I was honestly impressed by the writing for Laurel in this episode. She understands that Oliver had been in the wrong and doesn't blame Samantha, in fact she's extremely compassionate to her throughout and makes an effort to comfort her. She doesn't get angry at Oliver because the guy suffered enough for his mistakes and has changed but she does still feel betrayed and hugs it out in an emotionally healthy way. She acted like a mature, reasonable adult and completely avoided the CW drama bullshit that they so easily could have leaped at.

Everyone but Felicity reacted well to the situation, to their credit. Personally I thought this was a good episode in terms of the main cast with one frustrating exception.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Even Damien Darhk handled William more rationally than Felicity.

Maybe Felicity will peace out for a few episodes and we can get more Speedy and Canary being the best team. Thea's shot from the motorcycle was definitely the best part of an action-weak episode.

I wasn't paying close enough attention to the few times Diggle showed up in uniform. Did he gave the improved Spartan helmet?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm pretty sure that at one point when Speedy and Canary were fighting henchmen in the hallway, a goon slammed his head sideways into a vase on a table, smashing it and knocking himself unconscious, without being touched.

And I don't mean like "oh Thea swung but you could see it didn't connect." I mean "there wasn't even a motion from the person he was fighting and he still went sideways."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It was also either this episode or last episode where Thea did some halfhearted wallpunch that seemed almost counterproductive but knocked a guy twice her size across the room. They could stand to step it up a bit.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Thea is the true Ra's Al Ghul.

Wasn't feeling this episode either, for the same reasons explained thoroughly throughout the thread. I suppose they're reopening Laurel and Oliver's relationship, based on her reaction to Samantha. Probably not going to be handled well, because CW.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 26, 2016

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Titan posted:

I want more info on what Constantine is doing in Hell.

Well Lucifer left hell so might be filling in.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Narcissus1916 posted:

Just watched this week's episode.

Did the stunt coordinator just not show up or something? Atrocious action scenes. Damien Dahrk just Vader'ed really hard and when he did throw a punch you could clearly see the stunt double multiple times. Also some hilarious bits with the rest of the cast, with me spotting one soldier being touched by Thea and immediately went flying.

This got me interested, and I looked up the crew on IMDB. Looks like Bamford wasn't even a part of this episode, and yeah, by God it shows. Every fight scene looked piss poor, unfortunately. I'm not sure exactly why you wouldn't have your head stunt choreographer on every episode unless he has some sort of obligation that he can't make it the week they're shooting. It's definitely noticeable when he's gone.

ShakeZula posted:

The truly sad thing is they were given this blueprint by that S1 or S2 villain whose (largely successful) strategy was to have more goons on hand than Ollie had arrows.

That guy was the coolest. I don't remember what his name was, but I remember the actor well and thought he was a really well done villain. I think he got killed so we'll never see him again, but I remember when I was watching that his "more goons than arrows" gimmick was actually pretty smart. I mean, Ollie could have just fought some with his bow, but back then I don't think he did that as much.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The good news is the actor (David Anders) has a role as a main antagonist in the excellent TV show iZombie.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
He'll never top the OG Count Vertigo though.

No one will. :(

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Krad posted:

He'll never top the OG Count Vertigo though.

No one will. :(

He should've been the Joker to Ollie's Batman. Anarky might fill that role instead.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So what was the point of Dharhk being able to cure Thea's bloodlust?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Based on what that other poster said, I'm gonna say: short-term drama.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

what's the point of anything, when you really think about it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I think the writers forgot about that.

I'm ready for Felicity to go away and Ollie to shack up with Laurel.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Rhyno posted:

I'm ready for Felicity to go away and Ollie to shack up with Laurel.

Well then I hope you're all prepared for 6 eps-½ season's worth of hand wringing and kvetching about omg why we can't be together when really we can but we can't cause omg AGAIN

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Oliver and the Canary Sarah made the best couple. It was a remarkably drama-free relationship.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

To give Thea hope about being able to avoid killing people.

I mean realistically even if they had the ability to confine Dharhk indefinitely it wouldn't really work that well.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Also, I laughed out loud when Oliver was introducing Vixen and said to the group, "we had an animated encounter in Detroit last year" right in the middle of the awkwardness of it being revealed that he had had an affair while dating Laurel. It's one of those things where it's obvious what he meant, but could have been misconstrued otherwise.
After that line my husband (who's not heard of the cartoon) asked, "Wait- Ollie and Vixen hosed?"

He also laughed last year about the guy heaving a mop around as an improvised weapon during the big street brawl against Brick. (The mop was Laurel.)

I keep accidentally watching every other episode because of busy schedules. Nobody here notices.

Blotto Battalion
Mar 30, 2010
I don't know if this theory has been brought up yet, but it's something that's been on my mind since I saw people guessing that it was Felicity's mom in the coffin. So many posts are about guessing who is in the coffin, but I think the real swerve is going to be who Oliver means when he says "I'm going to have to kill him" since right now I get the impression most people assume it's Damian Darhk. I'm thinking that this scene is going to go down after Damian is already taken care of, and that Felicity's father either deliberately or indirectly kills her mother by...hacking the internet or something.

It really would be the most drama CW could wring out of that relationship to have Ollie want murderous revenge on one of her parents for killing the other one. I mostly just think bringing her dad in seemed really out of place to begin with. The amount of emphasis oh how "He's so evil and bad things happen when he comes around" from the mom during that episode it has to be setting up something.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blotto Battalion posted:

I don't know if this theory has been brought up yet, but it's something that's been on my mind since I saw people guessing that it was Felicity's mom in the coffin. So many posts are about guessing who is in the coffin, but I think the real swerve is going to be who Oliver means when he says "I'm going to have to kill him" since right now I get the impression most people assume it's Damian Darhk. I'm thinking that this scene is going to go down after Damian is already taken care of, and that Felicity's father either deliberately or indirectly kills her mother by...hacking the internet or something.

It really would be the most drama CW could wring out of that relationship to have Ollie want murderous revenge on one of her parents for killing the other one. I mostly just think bringing her dad in seemed really out of place to begin with. The amount of emphasis oh how "He's so evil and bad things happen when he comes around" from the mom during that episode it has to be setting up something.

I don't think it's anyone close to Felicity because why would she wait in the car while Oliver visited the grave?

Blotto Battalion
Mar 30, 2010
Could be anyone in there really. My point is more that I think Oliver is going to have her father on the murder-list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I don't think it's anyone close to Felicity because why would she wait in the car while Oliver visited the grave?

She could have gone back while he stayed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
We've still got a bunch of episodes to go in the season, so either Darhk has to escape, and find another way to get magic powers (since he doesn't appear to be any particular threat without them) or we're headed for a big reveal that he wasn't actually the big bad for the season like we thought he was - kinda like season 2 where we thought Blood was going to be the big bad, but then Slade was revealed - around this time of the season too IIRC. They may even be aiming to redeem Damien and turn him into the new Malcolm style frenemy.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

enraged_camel posted:

Why would they be sharing a car at all if they're in the midst of an emotionally-taxing breakup?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I liked Dahrk's powers when they seemed governed by some sort of logic. Last week he was just force choking people left and right for no real reason.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blotto Battalion posted:

Barry's lead in line was "Darhk?" "Yeah, I'm gonna kill him." So maybe it was Darhk in the grave, Barrowman killed him and is running Hive, and did it in a messy enough way that he FINALLY gets put down.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

We've still got a bunch of episodes to go in the season, so either Darhk has to escape, and find another way to get magic powers (since he doesn't appear to be any particular threat without them) or we're headed for a big reveal that he wasn't actually the big bad for the season like we thought he was - kinda like season 2 where we thought Blood was going to be the big bad, but then Slade was revealed - around this time of the season too IIRC. They may even be aiming to redeem Damien and turn him into the new Malcolm style frenemy.

We do know that he's part of a larger organization and he seems to answer to them to some degree. It might be someone higher up the chain that's revealed or it may be Dahrk's wife taking a more active role.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I liked Dahrk's powers when they seemed governed by some sort of logic. Last week he was just force choking people left and right for no real reason.

It's been telekinesis from his first appearance.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Xelkelvos posted:

We do know that he's part of a larger organization and he seems to answer to them to some degree. It might be someone higher up the chain that's revealed or it may be Dahrk's wife taking a more active role.

The twist will be that the real big bad is either the mystical dude or the woman from this season's flashbacks.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Blotto Battalion posted:

Could be anyone in there really. My point is more that I think Oliver is going to have her father on the murder-list.

I miss the murder list from time to time.

I was all for Oliver and Felicity being a couple until they decided to make Felicity's only purpose to find ways to destroy the relationship, they took away everything that made her great. She was supposed to be a foil for Ollie and Dig, someone who advocates for normal people and can tell them both to gently caress off. Now it's some weird spineless Felicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

I miss the murder list from time to time.

I was all for Oliver and Felicity being a couple until they decided to make Felicity's only purpose to find ways to destroy the relationship, they took away everything that made her great. She was supposed to be a foil for Ollie and Dig, someone who advocates for normal people and can tell them both to gently caress off. Now it's some weird spineless Felicity.

she got better :downsrim:

• Locked thread