Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Namtab posted:

Ace attorney is about top tier waifu franziska von karma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

Ace attorney is about top tier waifu dick gumshoe

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Namtab posted:

Ace attorney is about top tier waifu miles edgeworth

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Who writes the synopses for these? Some of them are really hilariously bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Do the animes hold up on their own? A major reason I haven't watched any of the JoJos is that I can't really find the time to dedicate to reading through >100 volumes of manga.

There's a reasonable argument to be made that the David Production anime is the best way to experience the story. It's drat good, and complete as anything. The first couple of arcs are pretty short, too, so you can ease yourself in nicely.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the JoJo anime is as good an adaptation anybody could hope for. the art doesn't hold a candle to the original manga, but otherwise it's incredibly faithful and even adds some nice extra character bits. good OSTs too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'd say that the anime for phantom blood is straight up better than the manga. Dio and Speedwagon are great, but otherwise part 1 was rough as heck. For everything after that, both the anime and manga are very good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Who writes the synopses for these? Some of them are really hilariously bad.

The anime is set in a continent ruled by sword and magic called Kunaaan, where a power balance between the Holy Kingdom of Amoria, the Kingdom of Ishilfen, and the Vanrodis Kingdom keeps a peace so unstable that any tragedy that befalls any one kingdom will mean war for the entire continent. Another power, the evil dragon Daganzord, also resides on the continent, and no one is powerful enough to stop him from spreading destruction and charred land in his wake. Two individuals, Bairo and Kismitete, undertook a ritual alongside a party of wizards to seal Daganzord, but were foiled. This event was known thereafter as the Balbagoa Tragedy. Bairo and Kismitete's son Hiiro is saved by Giiru, and Hiiro swears to avenge his parents' deaths and trains himself with the sword. When Hiiro turns 16, he sets out on a journey to slay the dragon, and Giruu accompanies him, having no choice. Along the way, they meet many types of people, and gain companions on their journey.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

The anime is set in a continent ruled by sword and magic called Kunaaan, where a power balance between the Holy Kingdom of Amoria, the Kingdom of Ishilfen, and the Vanrodis Kingdom keeps a peace so unstable that any tragedy that befalls any one kingdom will mean war for the entire continent. Another power, the evil dragon Daganzord, also resides on the continent, and no one is powerful enough to stop him from spreading destruction and charred land in his wake. Two individuals, Bairo and Kismitete, undertook a ritual alongside a party of wizards to seal Daganzord, but were foiled. This event was known thereafter as the Balbagoa Tragedy. Bairo and Kismitete's son Hiiro is saved by Giiru, and Hiiro swears to avenge his parents' deaths and trains himself with the sword. When Hiiro turns 16, he sets out on a journey to slay the dragon, and Giruu accompanies him, having no choice. Along the way, they meet many types of people, and gain companions on their journey.

Gonna need something more to sell me on this jrpg .

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Allarion posted:

It has titties, check the PV

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

It has titties, check the PV

Allarion posted:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I need a steady supply of JoJo in my life to keep going.
Also, Ushio & Tora, Ace Attorney, My Hero Academia, and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Assuming Ace Attorney follows the path of the games, the only ones I don't know already are U&T and Kabaneri, so I'm interested to see where they go (though having watched the first chunk of U&T it's pretty much spelled out what's going to go down).

Kytrarewn posted:

Do the animes hold up on their own? A major reason I haven't watched any of the JoJos is that I can't really find the time to dedicate to reading through >100 volumes of manga.

The anime is great. The art isn't as good and you can pretty much see the duct tape holding Parts 1 and 2 together the budget is so low but despite all that DavidPro gets what makes JoJo great. It's got a certain sense of dramatic flair that few other things do. It's oozing with ~style~. They translate that to animation quite well, I feel. And for Part 3, aside from a few weird moments in the last fight it's pretty much perfect.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

graybook posted:

Eat your cheeseburger, Apollo

Hamburger, good grief.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Ah thanks, I need to revisit that source material.

And finish the Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton crossover game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Might be worth mentioning that the Sailor Moon Crystal Death Busters arc is getting an animation style shift and iirc a new director. People had complaints about the animation and direction so that might make people take another look. I know I'll be giving it a shot.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Hm, just going by these synopses, I'm definitely curious about Bakuon, Sansha Sanyou, Kuromukuro, and Mayoiga. I really need to devote more time to anime these days. Quite shameful.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

littleorv posted:

Only show I'm going to watch from the beginning will be Jojo's (yes, it's me. I'm the normie). Then I'll probably check out some other shows from the word of mouth buzz here after a few episodes.

My plan exactly, fellow normiebro.

Anyone actually watch that terra formars thing? Did not expect another season of that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Must Watch:

Jojo 4
Blood Blockade Battlefront OVA

Try:

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Phoenix Wright

Probably bad because Trigger is bad:

Kiznaivers

"The story revolves around Gai, who was born beside a woman who met her death in a forest. He was adopted by the swordsmith Amon. A few years later, Gai becomes Amon's apprentice, and during the forging of a sword, he loses his right arm." literally guts lmao

Relin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 20, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pre-season goon-hype-meter:

MAXIMUM HYPE:
:siren: Flying Witch :siren:
:siren: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable :siren:
:siren: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney :siren:
:siren: My Hero Academia :siren:

TOP HYPE:
:siren: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
:siren: Kiznaiver
:siren: Sakamoto desu ga?

GREAT HYPE:
:siren: Bakuon!! (also The Colonel's top pick)
:siren: Concrete Revolutio 2
:siren: Girl meets Bear
:siren: Mayoiga (also Namtab's top pick)

Edit: Looks like my first estimation was pretty good. Heh.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 28, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm assuming the Girls und Panzer mention is for a BD release of the film? I vaguely remember that went to theaters a while back.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I'm assuming the Girls und Panzer mention is for a BD release of the film? I vaguely remember that went to theaters a while back.

Yes. It's a bonus on the BD.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Relin posted:

Must Watch:

Blood Blockade Battlefront OVA

At least this looks to be an adaptation of a manga story instead of more of Black and White.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I can't believe Asterisk Wars is getting a second season.

Flying Witch looks very :3: and will probably be my pick of the season after Concrete Revolutio. I'll be checking out My Hero Academia, Kuma Miko, Macross Delta and Bakuon, too. Also, I'd forgotten Joker Game airs this season, and it looks really awesome, so that's definitely getting watched.

I guess Kiznaiver and Mayoiga have some potential? I'm not sure how I feel about the premises, but they're intriguing. I want to watch Sailor Moon: Death Busters, but I'd have to finish the second half of Crystal first (but then again, I didn't hate Crystal, so I probably will). Bungou Stray Dogs looks like a potentially cool action show. Also, I'm hype for the yuri bread 4koma anime.

I'll probably check out Tanaka-kun, Sansha Sanyou and Anne Happy because I loving love slice of life, and also maybe Sakamoto if it turns out to actually be funny. Don't know if I should watch the Phoenix Wright anime when I still haven't played the games, so I should probably try to find time to play those.

Oh, and Kuromukuro is the samurai mech show, so I guess I'll try that and see if it's any good.

I started writing this post thinking "man, there's only a couple of things I'm interested in this season" and no, apparently I'll be starting a dozen shows again.

I'm happy Spring is the season where slice of life makes a comeback. :3:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 28, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You skeptical guys will all be eating crow when Sakamoto starts and we just see "Sakamoto perfection~" gifs in every thread, every day, forever.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm surprised how many people are stoked for more Concrete Revolutio, given how messy and all over the place the plot has been so far! It's all gonna be worth it if it comes together in the end, though. Excited for more adventures of the human nuclear bomb :toot:

I'm one of those weird people who liked Kill La Kill, sooooo... Kiznaivers might be worth checking out? Who knows?

Also, I'm duty-bound to watch JoJo, but I might not stay with it. David Pro might've done a good job with the other three parts, but I kinda want to see more actual animation besides lipflaps... Cautiously optimistic, I guess?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The artstyle for Season 4 JoJo looks way more animation friendly, I'm expecting it'll be at least a bit more fluid just from that.

Also I legit forgot Trigger had a show this season, I guess that gets an episode at least.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

madmac posted:

Also I legit forgot Trigger had a show this season, I guess that gets an episode at least.

It's gonna be good this time

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Sakamoto manga blows huge chunks after the great first chapter.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

quote="madmac" post="456812171"]
The artstyle for Season 4 JoJo looks way more animation friendly, I'm expecting it'll be at least a bit more fluid just from that.
[/quote]

I hope so. Part 4 in particular has some parts that are straight-up action with barely any talking, and oh drat I want those to look good...

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's gonna be good this time

Well, I enjoyed pretty much everything from Trigger so far, so why not give this a tr -

...the gently caress is When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

The Sakamoto manga blows huge chunks after the great first chapter.

That's putting it too strongly, but it definitely falls off pretty quickly. It would have worked better as shorts, I think, cherry picking the best bits. Well, I'll probably watch it until I get bored, much as I red the manga until I got bored.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Torquemadras posted:

Well, I enjoyed pretty much everything from Trigger so far, so why not give this a tr -

...the gently caress is When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

..the gently caress is When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace

The boring anim with the long speech goons liked

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Namtab posted:

The boring anim with the long speech goons liked

:yeah:

I was going to post the rant, but all the good versions have been detubed.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

AnoHito posted:

I haven't played it before, but I've heard enough to know that whether the localization changes make it better is disputed at best. And I think I heard they just kind of dropped them later on when they couldn't get away with keeping them up anyway.

Now I'm off to play it to prepare for the anime!

I'm wondering where you heard this, since it's pretty much untrue. There's (quite) a few things where they've had to sorta awkwardly justify why some incredibly Japanese thing is a part of the LA setting, but they never stopped bothering. The closest it came was a case in Dual Destinies where they said the very Japanese town was simply founded by Japanese immigrants and left it at that.

Also, people trying to make out that the localisation makes huge, sweeping changes to the series and characters are completely wrong, to my knowledge. Jokes that didn't work are changed or replaced, and the characters are more or less the same, with a few quirks changed slightly to make a bit more sense. Like how Maya loves burgers instead of ramen. There's no large changes to anybody's characterisation or any events in the series. You could localise the anime's subtitles to be entirely in the same setting as the localised games (and I really hope someone does), and the only weird things would be the characters saying the wrong names and occasionally going on about eating burgers or something when actually eating something else.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My list in no particular order:

Sakamoto desu ga? (the manga is awesome so I will watch this too)
Bungou Stray Dogs (a friend liked this and the music in the trailer seems cool)
Girl Meets Bear (bear)
Mayoiga (I trust Namtab's recommendation)
Pan de Peace (gently caress yeah bread)

Kabaneri is a few shades too similar to Attack on Titan artstyle and concept wise (probs the same people working on it), but I kinda like how it looks a little like older anime, I might give it a whirl.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm the blushing inflatable whale.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There's a new Hero Academia PV, with a lot of new animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhqVltWDqFA

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

:yeah:

I was going to post the rant, but all the good versions have been detubed.

there's a link on the site where the anime op webms are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Things that I'm excited to watch!

Bakuon!!
Flying Witch
Kuma Miko
Sakamoto desu ga?

Things that I'll at least watch a few episodes of, and maybe the whole series if I like what I see.

Joker Game (I know nothing about this, but Production I.G. sure does make some beautiful art so I'll check it out)
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Kiznaiver
(Please be a good Trigger show, please be a good Trigger show)
Kuromukuro
My Hero Academia
(I never got around to reading the manga, so I'll check out the show instead)
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

• Locked thread