Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Is there a website of Dark Souls save files? I just beat Dark Souls for the first time and killed Gwyn before doing any of the DLC content. I'd like to do the DLC stuff on normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

nah do the DLC on NG+, it's more fun that way :devil:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

The proper response to being invaded and killed in Dragon Shrine while already frustrated from having trouble manipulating the Ancient Dragon's AI as it is is TO NOT create a quick firewall rule that blocks all outgoing traffic from DarkSoulsII.exe *cough cough*

:downsbravo:

I disabled the rule right after I killed the dragon

E: For gently caress's sake. I seem to have hit another hotbed range of PvP.

the correct answers are to either play in offline mode or burn a human effigy at the dragon shrine bonfire, which prevents multiplayer entirely for like half an hour

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time and having an absolute ball. Quickly becoming one of my favorite games/series/developers of all time.

Leaving your bloodstain at the safe spot next to the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring at the bottom of the boulder run in Sen's Fortress instead of on the lip of the final drop is a kindness I did not expect after doing something so stupid. That is all.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The bloodstain appears where you were about 15 seconds before death, but never on a movable surface. A notable exception can happen in the next boss fight you will face, so spend those souls.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I thought it was 5, not 15.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I just tested it by running off the edge by Artorias's arena and timing running from the bloodstain to the "you died" message - it seems to be 9 seconds.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Does DsFix still work for the newest version of this?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yep, as does the mouse fix, though the tunneler doesn't.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

Yep, as does the mouse fix, though the tunneler doesn't.

Yeah mousefix was my main concern anyways.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Okay so here's the problem. I'm in Ash Lake and I want to leave, but on the way up the Great Hollow, I got stuck in a weird little alcove that consisted of a slightly dipped floor and two small branches on either side of me. Apparently those little branches had very big hitboxes, because I was unable to escape and got cursed. I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to get a purging stone, but the Hydra and the clam dudes kill me in one hit yet it takes me 15-20 hits to kill the clam dudes. Any ideas?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Ariong posted:

Okay so here's the problem. I'm in Ash Lake and I want to leave, but on the way up the Great Hollow, I got stuck in a weird little alcove that consisted of a slightly dipped floor and two small branches on either side of me. Apparently those little branches had very big hitboxes, because I was unable to escape and got cursed. I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to get a purging stone, but the Hydra and the clam dudes kill me in one hit yet it takes me 15-20 hits to kill the clam dudes. Any ideas?
Oswald the lucky Pardoner sells purging stones for 3000 if you've beaten the Gargoyles and the undead merchant near the shortcut between Firelink and Lower Undead Burg sells them for 6000 if not. I would just buy one from whoever is most convenient rather than trying to rely on random drops from enemies you can barely fight. I think Ingward in New Londo can do it for free and the curse will allow you to hit the ghosts on the way there, so that's also an option.

Lork fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 22, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh, that's cheap. Alright I'll see if I can make it up the tree at half health.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How does one get the aggression mod working these days? I tried to set it up recently, but I'm at a loss.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm having a weird issue with Dark Souls. I played it last week and everything was fine, I think it was by Wednesday the last session I had. I decided to make a new character yesterday and the game started to stutter like mad while other games are perfectly fine. I had DSFix 2.4 installed and didn't change a thing related to gfx drivers etc... Dark Souls II runs exactly the same as last week for example but for some reason I'm having a nightmare on firelink shrine and randomly fighting the first hollows you encounter there. I tried to reinstall completely the game and launch it without DSFix, looks like crap but runs fine, as soon as I install DSFix the stutterfest starts. Is really weird but unless windows 10 hosed sometime on an automatic update and only affects Dark Souls, I don't know what to do.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Ariong posted:

Oh, that's cheap. Alright I'll see if I can make it up the tree at half health.

Going up while cursed isn't nearly as bad as it sounds once you run the mushroom gauntlet (which thankfully is right at the beginning) because everything else that can kill you is curse or fall damage where your curse health doesn't matter.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Guillermus posted:

I'm having a weird issue with Dark Souls. I played it last week and everything was fine, I think it was by Wednesday the last session I had. I decided to make a new character yesterday and the game started to stutter like mad while other games are perfectly fine. I had DSFix 2.4 installed and didn't change a thing related to gfx drivers etc... Dark Souls II runs exactly the same as last week for example but for some reason I'm having a nightmare on firelink shrine and randomly fighting the first hollows you encounter there. I tried to reinstall completely the game and launch it without DSFix, looks like crap but runs fine, as soon as I install DSFix the stutterfest starts. Is really weird but unless windows 10 hosed sometime on an automatic update and only affects Dark Souls, I don't know what to do.

Are you in the steam client beta? Do you use watchdog? If the answer is yes to both then opt out of the SCB

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

Are you in the steam client beta? Do you use watchdog? If the answer is yes to both then opt out of the SCB

No, I'm not in the beta and I use watchdog. Going to try to reinstall DX9 and see if some library got hosed then reinstall the game again and run without DSFix and start from there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Could be a GFWL thing. Even with GFWL stripped out I still needed it installed for the game to run. So try uninstalling and re-installing that,

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Huh, that was the problem/solution when I started having this problem back around the 11th

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Could be a GFWL thing. Even with GFWL stripped out I still needed it installed for the game to run. So try uninstalling and re-installing that,

The weird thing is that I've been playing the non GFWL version since I installed DS1 on... February or March 2015. And the game worked flawlessly a few days ago. Will do a report after it finishes the download and run it vanilla, then DSFix with no settings touched etc...

Instead of posting again I'll just edit since DS1 runs smooth now but not without some weird stuff:

-I completely wipe Dark Souls and reinstall. Run it vanilla and everything is fine.
-Install DSFix 2.4. All fine.
-borderlessFullscreen 1 and add aaQuality 1. All fine.
-Enable texture override for mods but no mods installed. All fine.
-Install some basic mods: HD fonts and player messages, demon's souls bloodstains and better player and enemy HP bars (skullhud mod). All fine.

From this point I could play normally as I had a smooth framerate with no drop downs running around and hitting stuff in firelink's graveyard or the first hollows.But then...

-Install pvp watchdog: Stuttering is back. Considering that I've been using it for months I have no idea why it is loving with me now and seems that it isn't related to building nodes since I tried to play the game offline and still gave me poo poo framerate. So there is something that broke since last wednesday that prevents me from running pvp watchdog.

Now I did a thing a sane person wouldn't: Check the mod's posts in nexusmods. But instead of reading about people requesting nude pvp stuff and stray demon penises, some guy reports that opting out of STEAM client beta will fix it. And it did. Something broke the last few days on steam because I just went with the stable version and everything is back to normal. :woop:

Is a nice change that is Steam this time breaking things and not nvidia, microsoft or even mods.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 22, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Okay, so Great Hollow. I get past the mushroom guys, go up two ladders, and go up a ramp. When I get to the top of it, there is a tiny ledge I can't get past. It's like there's an invisible wall there or something. I'd assume it was a glitch, but there's a titanite lizard on the other side of it that disappeared while I was struggling to get past, which felt like the intended experience. Is this not the right way up? I can't find another.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Ariong posted:

Okay, so Great Hollow. I get past the mushroom guys, go up two ladders, and go up a ramp. When I get to the top of it, there is a tiny ledge I can't get past. It's like there's an invisible wall there or something. I'd assume it was a glitch, but there's a titanite lizard on the other side of it that disappeared while I was struggling to get past, which felt like the intended experience. Is this not the right way up? I can't find another.

If you go around to one side trying to get past the invisible wall (I can't remember right or left, I think left?) you will go over the invisible wall. It will look like you are right about to slip off the edge right before you make it to safety. It is a glitch and it's pretty fear-inducing the first time, but you can regularly get past it safely once you know where to walk.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

My god that is terrifying. Not a problem though.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah it's really, really weird, and it's bad that it's weird like that, but it's the kind of thing where once you know about it, it's as you said, it's no longer a problem from then on.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm watching a friend play through the game for the first time.
http://i.imgur.com/5VQUmyc.webm
Blighttown is a treasure.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm watching a friend play through the game for the first time.
http://i.imgur.com/5VQUmyc.webm
Blighttown is a treasure.

Jesus Christ, that might be more miserable than people who wear full armor and never roll.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I dusted off DS1 last week and have slowly been playing this area and that every few days.

I honestly forgot that those jerks caused toxic in 2 hits and attacked so fast. Sorta lost interest after ringing the second bell because of it.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Spider Shield (found on the bridge in Valley of the Drakes or above the big rat in The Depths) + a spear/pokey sword.

The Spider Shield fully blocks the toxic effect (any other shield is going to let the effect come through even if the actual dart doesn't damage you). You can run right up to those jerks and poke them right in their stupid jerk faces.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Ariong posted:

Everyone who's ever tried to climb out of the hollow without warping has encountered that One Cursed Ledge (tm) and knows it well.

Not really a glitch so much as really poorly constructed geometry/hitboxes. Holding forward and sliding around to the left will get you around it, but as mentioned this really looks like it shouldn't work, and is completely terrifying. I wandered down here on my first run just by exploring, and very distinctly remember how awful this spot was.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Andrigaar posted:

I dusted off DS1 last week and have slowly been playing this area and that every few days.

I honestly forgot that those jerks caused toxic in 2 hits and attacked so fast. Sorta lost interest after ringing the second bell because of it.

And put on poison the resist armor. They give you two different sets that will buff resistance while you are in that area. On the way down and around the bottom.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Only if it's on the back route. I'm playing a thief and skipped the horribleness that is Blighttown via Drake's Valley or whatever.

Last death was to the fire bombs on Sen's roof. I was trying to remember the splash zones, died, and declared "gently caress this for now."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If there's a giant scorch mark on the ground, move.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love how blindingly obvious the scorch marks are to clue you in and how people for the first time are like "black marks huh" and forget it and then get blasted, like I did everytime.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

When Dark Souls first came out, the boulder-throwing giant had insane sniping skills. He was pretty much guaranteed to hit you if you were in his range.

One of the patches nerfed his aiming a lot, so now he can't hit you as long as you continually keep moving.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Yeah, it was still very much tied to the blast marks, but I remember them being way more of a bitch to deal with. Seem to recall him throwing the boulder bombs faster as well.

Working on my first full run through the game. Beat Ornstein and Smaugh which is about as far as I got progression wise the last time. I over prepared so much they were't hard with just good ol' Sunbro Solaire helping out.

The game must have felt bad for my rusty skills and was cool enough to drop the Child's Mask which I've paired with the Grass Shield of course.

And while I'm here what's good to make to replace my Demon Spear for poking things to death? Think I'll finally play with all the boss souls I have kicking around the inventory later today.

Andrigaar posted:

Only if it's on the back route. I'm playing a thief and skipped the horribleness that is Blighttown via Drake's Valley or whatever.

Last death was to the fire bombs on Sen's roof. I was trying to remember the splash zones, died, and declared "gently caress this for now."

The full Pyromancer outfit is on the bottom in the swamp, so you could get that real easy doing the back route. It has some great resistance bonuses in general. Pretty helpful for adding survivability through even mid game with some upgrading while keeping your weight down.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Captain Blaargh posted:

The full Pyromancer outfit is on the bottom in the swamp, so you could get that real easy doing the back route. It has some great resistance bonuses in general. Pretty helpful for adding survivability through even mid game with some upgrading while keeping your weight down.

You just reminded me that I forgot to run down to Ceaseless Cumcharge to grab the robes and home bone out. Was trying to remember why I wasn't running around in a big gothic dress up there.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Is level 120 too high for hosting forest invasions? I'm getting some really fun fights, but it's generally the same five people over and over... Or is the PC forest dying?

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

The real trouble is while people do play this game quite a bit most of the pvp minded folks have long since moved on to 2.

Edit:

And remember, use only mods which stay true to the director's intent and retain the intended atmosphere.

Captain Blaargh fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As much as I like to add mods that fit into the game's original art, the mountain dew estus flask is a must have in my opinion.

• Locked thread